NCL.co.uk - How to lose customers by ripping them off

helpthejuggler

Consider upgrading from a BB to an SF on Spirit 22-Nov-13 in 2 weeks time.

When we booked the BB, the prices between UK and US were comparable.

Today...

Price on NCL.co.uk - £1239 (- taxes + port fees of £75) = £1164 @ £/$ * 1.60 = $1862

Price on NCL.com - $1399 approx £875

$463 more expensive in the UK for the same room!!!

I would upgrade for the NCL.com price.

But to pay NCL.co.uk $463 x 2 extra for the same room?

Well done NCL.co.uk a customer lost before we even sail

Today...

Price on NCL.co.uk - £1239 (- taxes + port fees of £75) = £1164 @ £/$ * 1.60 = $1862

Lots of things have a different price depending on where it's bought. Lots of times it's cheaper to buy a cruise in the US and sometimes it's cheaper to buy it in the UK.

I once bought a cruise from NCL in UK instead of from NCL in Germany because it was much cheaper.

Lots of things have a different price depending on where it's bought. Lots of times it's cheaper to buy a cruise in the US and sometimes it's cheaper to buy it in the UK.

I once bought a cruise from NCL in UK instead of from NCL in Germany because it was much cheaper.

They do. But there is often a genuine reason for the difference or it is small.

In this, and similar, cases it is not reasonable, so we should not apologise for NCL. We are here to criticize them when they behave unacceptably.

Or rename this site CruiseLineApologist.com.

They do. But there is often a genuine reason for the difference or it is small.

In this, and similar, cases it is not reasonable, so we should not apologise for NCL. We are here to criticize them when they behave unacceptably.

Or rename this site CruiseLineApologist.com.

How do you know it is not reasonable? As I understand, there are greater consumer protection policies in the UK (as in Canada), than there are in the US.

Those have a real $$ cost to a business. Especially as their window to re-sell your BB narrows.

There may be other reasons, but:

- I'm not here to criticize anybody, or any cruise line (except Princess...they should really shape-up! :rolleyes:)

- this price differential may or may not be reasonable. Unless you're speaking with their pricing department, you wouldn't know what inputs go into calculating the various fares. You could always ask Crane Gladding for an explanation.

Or just use an Incognito browser window & buy from the US site.

How do you know it is not reasonable? As I understand, there are greater consumer protection policies in the UK (as in Canada), than there are in the US.

Those have a real $$ cost to a business. Especially as their window to re-sell your BB narrows.

There may be other reasons, but:

- I'm not here to criticize anybody, or any cruise line (except Princess...they should really shape-up! :rolleyes:)

- this price differential may or may not be reasonable. Unless you're speaking with their pricing department, you wouldn't know what inputs go into calculating the various fares. You could always ask Crane Gladding for an explanation.

Or just use an Incognito browser window & buy from the US site.

If there were a UK overhead that would also have been applicable at the time I booked my BB. There was a small difference at the time.

It must be easier to resell a BB than SF with 2 weeks to go or find someone willing to upgrade into a BB.

The two fares were close until this week when they diverged as price drops only applied to NCL.com.

The fact that I need to subvert the website, suggests that NCL are trying to hide the pricing disparity.

Today...

My guess is that the prices are for new bookings only and you wouldn't qualify for the current rate because you have an existing booking. I really don't see this as any different when a cruise line offers a special rate to, say, residents of Florida but the rest of us have to pay a higher rate.

Different laws for UK passengers. I never knew this but you can read here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1940073

I know about ABTA protection which applies if NCL went out of business whilst I was sailing. I would have to rely on my travel insurance to get home or pay to get home.

So a minor but improbable benefit.

My guess is that the prices are for new bookings only and you wouldn't qualify for the current rate because you have an existing booking. I really don't see this as any different when a cruise line offers a special rate to, say, residents of Florida but the rest of us have to pay a higher rate.

I checked. They will upgrade me for the UK price, but I would lose a promotional $100 OBC from my BB.

I have no feel for the % discount offered in Florida. Does it ever get as high as 20-25%? I agree there is a similarity in offering a regional discount.

I have never felt ripped off by NCL and have gone on 9 cruises with then from balcony to deluxe owners suite and am from the UK. We book the level of cabin we want at the time at the price offered. This price has never gone up so at a loss to understand why.you would feel ripped off. You agree to the price at the time of booking

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

NCL UK hate discounting suites,

The preferred route is to let the US do upsells to protect the headline price.

On the Jade and Spirit this is a lot harder as the number of US pax is much lower so you do see US price drops, there have been some stonking deals on the Jade garden villas.

As I said before book suites through the US.

The UK protections allows for cancellation if they try to put prices up by over 10% and also to cancel if they make a major alteration to itineraries.

The later is often got round by making the changes in stages as multiple minor changes don't make a major.

I have never felt ripped off by NCL and have gone on 9 cruises with then from balcony to deluxe owners suite and am from the UK. We book the level of cabin we want at the time at the price offered. This price has never gone up so at a loss to understand why.you would feel ripped off. You agree to the price at the time of booking

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

True, I have not actually been ripped off. The title is inflammatory.

I am happy with the room booked, happier still if I could get the similar treatment to other passengers.

Next year with the introduction of www.ncl.scot and a price rise of 25% higher than www.ncl.co.uk some of the frustration will become apparent.

True, I have not actually been ripped off. The title is inflammatory.

I am happy with the room booked, happier still if I could get the similar treatment to other passengers.

Next year with the introduction of www.ncl.scot and a price rise of 25% higher than www.ncl.co.uk some of the frustration will become apparent.

Why would they separate Scotland from the rest of the UK (if that is indeed the reason for the .scot domain) and ask them to pay more? Will Scots still have the option to book via the regular UK site? I have to admit that although I understand the reasoning behind different pricing for the UK and the US, this one does baffle me.

Why would they separate Scotland from the rest of the UK (if that is indeed the reason for the .scot domain) and ask them to pay more? Will Scots still have the option to book via the regular UK site? I have to admit that although I understand the reasoning behind different pricing for the UK and the US, this one does baffle me.

There is a possibility that Scotland will become independent from the UK depending upon the outcome of a referendum in 2014. So it would need to stop using .co.uk domains. I speculated on the .scot. - no idea what they would choose.

They probably charge you a higher price because you live in a town with a really fancy name like Royal Wootton Bassett.

Not really a fancy town, but fine people.

An really proud honour see it awarded the Royal title in 2011.

We should get a discount, but will settle for equitable treatment.

The cruise shopping method that you employ is, well . . . interesting.

In all thc cruises that I have taken (including multiple times sailing from either the UK or European ports) I have NEVER thought to spend time comparing the price I paid across the various NCL International websites.

Using that method, I could make sure to squeeze every last nickel and dime out of the cruise line...:rolleyes:

There is a possibility that Scotland will become independent from the UK depending upon the outcome of a referendum in 2014. So it would need to stop using .co.uk domains. I speculated on the .scot. - no idea what they would choose.

I see! As you might have guessed, our news has failed to mention this.

Its the country that you live in, not NCL that is demanding its pound of flesh for every upgrade , no matter how small . In many cases it is not worth the hassle to NCL to make sure the demands are met . You cant have it both ways with exceptional buyer protections and free pricing upgrades . Somebody's gotta pay the piper. Just look at what we are going through these days here in the States . ;)

The cruise shopping method that you employ is, well . . . interesting.

In all thc cruises that I have taken (including multiple times sailing from either the UK or European ports) I have NEVER thought to spend time comparing the price I paid across the various NCL International websites.

Using that method, I could make sure to squeeze every last nickel and dime out of the cruise line...:rolleyes:

I compare the prices when I book and use a price tracking sites that reports price movements across US, UK and EU. Sadly for NCL cruises, only US$ and EU prices are tracked for me.

So I became aware of this disparity from these sites.

I always look for adjustments and upgrades after booking what I will be happy with, we can always be happier.

NCL will try to Nickel and Dime passengers, so it only seems fair...

I see! As you might have guessed, our news has failed to mention this.

What not on the front page? :eek:...It will be...interesting if Scots vote for independence.

Edited by helpthejuggler

Can UK residents actually book through the US NCL?

I've always thought that the site wouldn't allow it.

At least we Finns can even though we should book via German office (in NCL's opinion, by going to the main page of ncl.com we get automatically redirected to ncl.eu). I've booked all our cruises either via ncl.com, PCC in US or travel agency in US.

Edited by Demonyte

Can UK residents actually book through the US NCL?

I've always thought that the site wouldn't allow it.

Yes, no problem booking through the US. We have a PCC in the US and deal with her but don't have a PCC in the UK!

For our next cruise (on the Jade) an SF suite was more expensive booking through the US so we booked through the UK. Interestingly, the UK pricing had a mini-suite costing more than an SF suite.

NCL pricing can be all over the place at times!

Depends if you call $900+ a nickel, a dime or a pile of cash.

Not really.

NCL just spent €1.2b to build (not outfit and stock, just to build) the two Breakaway Class ships. That is €600,000,000 each, or slightly more than $800,000,000 USD.

Your $900+ is mere 0.00011% of that cost. It doesn't matter how I see it, but from the viewpoint of the other party in your transaction, it certainly is NOT a "pile of cash". :rolleyes: