Recommendations for Amsterdam Hotels

CuriousC

Does anyone have recommendations for hotels in Amsterdam? We're looking to book something for 3 or 4 days pre-cruise that is well located and ideal for sightseeing. I've read that a number of people like the Movenpick because of the close proximity to the Amsterdam cruise terminal. However, in 2014, the Prinsendam will be sailing out of Ijmuiden so that will no longer be a consideration.

It really depend on your price range and your plans. If you want something near the railway station the Renaissance is on a quiet street about 500meters from the central station, also the Crowe Plazza is about 300 meter. We love the De l europe which has a great breakfast, as does the Stofitel. theNH centre is good, as is the Marriott, The Petit Prince is a good small hotel. Suggest you look on trip advisor for ratings

and price range and locations..

We stayed at the Movenpick this August and found it to be a very satisfactory hotel, except for being as centrally located as I desired for sightseeing. The tram is close to the hotel, but it is more of a walk to get to the tram's stop than the hotel's web site let on and that I expected.

I would choose a diffferent property for another visit.

Using Marriott Points, we've stayed at the Renaissance twice and the Marriott further out once. We prefer the location of the Renaissance since it's just about 2 blocks from most the places we like to be…Centraal Station just 2 blocks, the tram, etc…but lovely walking area around it. The Marriott is better for the museums, Heineken Experience, etc…so both locations have their good points.

We stayed for a week at the Hotel Estheria. It's right on one of the old city canals (the Singel I think) and it's lovely. I'd stay there again in a heart beat. All of Amsterdam is very flat and very walkable, bearing in mind to watch out for bikes! Estheria is near the floating flower markt, up the street from Davio's which we think is a grand restaurant, around the corner from Golem (if you like beer and hard cider in a pretty unique setting) and not too far away from everything else.

This go-round, since our cruise is a bit on the spendy side for us, we are staying at the Ibis to save a few bucks. We know that chain from Denmark and find it to be clean, if a bit spartan.

We stayed at the NH Hotel City Centre Amsterdam, and I loved it. It was about one block from the Amsterdam History Museum, and maybe 400 m from Dam Square. Probably 200 m from the floating flower market. It was on one of the main canals that's used for the canal tours, and you could get on the hop-on hop-off tour about 150 m from the hotel. It was so central to so much, and yet so quiet! I'd book there again in an instant!

Using Marriott Points, we've stayed at the Renaissance twice and the Marriott further out once. We prefer the location of the Renaissance since it's just about 2 blocks from most the places we like to be…Centraal Station just 2 blocks, the tram, etc…but lovely walking area around it. The Marriott is better for the museums, Heineken Experience, etc…so both locations have their good points.

Ditto to Marriott. Nice convenient area and quality service.

I second the Hotel Estherea - loved staying there, walked everywhere...great place at the corner for breakfast, a little further, great bakery/pastry place... street behind the hotel has quite a lot of restaurants... nearby is the Begijnhof, we visited there the morning of embarkation - before checkout time.

We are booked on the Prinsendam next year for 28 days on a back to back starting in Amsterdam (now Ijmuiden). Plan on staying a few days in Amsterdam before we board and these suggestions have been very helpful. Anyone have experience getting to Ijmuiden from Amsterdam? Thanks

We absolutely loved the Toren. We had a lovely canal view room that was incredibly spacious. The beds were heavenly and there was a wonderful buffet breakfast. It is very nicely located .

The staff is young and really helpful. They have a lovely bar and you can order in if you want ( the Thai is great) . It is located in a 17th century canal house and is very opulent with a modern flair.

Just loved it and will surely stay again in the future

Photo of our canal view room ( just a part... It was huge!)mygupe8y.jpg

I don't know what price range you're looking for. It appears the higher priced hotels have been covered.

When DH and I did a 3 week (self-organized) train tour in Europe we stayed at the IBIS hotel in 3 different cities. They are an economy chain in Europe - nothing fancy but clean and well run.

In Amsterdam, they are directly next door to the Central Station and easy walking distance to canal boats, transportation and food. Though the train tracks are directly behind the hotel we were not affected by noise (must be good insulation and windows) (I believe there are 2 others in the city as well - the website will show)

Remember, IBIS is an economy chain but we preferred to spend the $$ we could save on adventures in the cities we visited.

I've stayed a few times at the Doubletree Amsterdam Centraal, which - as the name suggests - is about a block from Amsterdam's Centraal station, and perhaps a two-minute walk to the start of the old town. Nice, clean, comfortable, affordable.

Another of my favorite places - though it may not be to everyone's tastes - is CitizenM. Not as close for touring, but a quick tram ride from most sights (or, let's face it - an easy bicycle ride!) It's modern, shockingly affordable, and most everything is free - from internet to VOIP calling to movies-on-demand. Rooms are, however, on the small side and best used as a base. I find myself there for business about two or three times per year and never stay anywhere else now.

I struggled with finding the right spot to stay this coming July and finally picked the Crown Plaza for price, having air conditioning (if needed) and for proximity to the train station, and area attractions. I don't want to drag luggage around for any distance. I want the ease of getting to and from transport stations easily. I did the same for my stay in Brussels and London too. Got myself all stressed out with not being able to make a decision. I finally forced myself to stop the searching and I picked the three places that matched my transportation needs, safety needs, and quaintness needs! I do make sure the areas I stay in are in safe neighborhoods though.

I read reviews of way to many hotels... time will tell if I will be satisfied.

I am not a taxi fan unless I have no other option. I usually tend to order private transport if I can't do a short train ride from an airport or cruise terminal. Did private transport ($$$$) from Rome airport to hotel and a train back. Lived and learned!

Have a great trip!

We are booked on the Prinsendam next year for 28 days on a back to back starting in Amsterdam (now Ijmuiden). Plan on staying a few days in Amsterdam before we board and these suggestions have been very helpful. Anyone have experience getting to Ijmuiden from Amsterdam? Thanks

We're waiting for the same info. Right now I have a ship's transfer on record, and am planning on bus and train transportation from the airport to our hotel. I'll adjust later if I find a better way.

We're going to try a hotel in Haarlem for a couple of nights prior to our cruise.

We stayed for a week at the Hotel Estheria. It's right on one of the old city canals (the Singel I think) and it's lovely. I'd stay there again in a heart beat. All of Amsterdam is very flat and very walkable, bearing in mind to watch out for bikes! Estheria is near the floating flower markt, up the street from Davio's which we think is a grand restaurant, around the corner from Golem (if you like beer and hard cider in a pretty unique setting) and not too far away from everything else.

This go-round, since our cruise is a bit on the spendy side for us, we are staying at the Ibis to save a few bucks. We know that chain from Denmark and find it to be clean, if a bit spartan.

I, too, can heartily recommend Hotel Estherea. It's a lovely hotel, close to much sightseeing, and easy to board the tram. I've stayed there on my past two trips to Amsterdam.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to make suggestions. I'm in the process of checking them all out but won't wait much longer to book something. Hotel Estherea already appears to have no availability next August.

I too wonder how independent travellers will get to the Ijmuiden terminal conveniently and without major expense. I hope members on this board will post their experiences once the 2014 cruise season starts.