Computer Seminar on HAL?

JulieRose

My father does not really use computers but since retiring, feels like he now has time to learn. The extent of his knowledge is limited to the operation of specific websites that operate on a mostly point and click basis.

We're going on the Nieuw Amsterdam next month I'm thinking of suggesting that he check out some of the computer classes offered onboard. Has anyone taken part in any of these classes? Did you feel like it was worth your time? The website does not specify, so, are there fees associated with the classes?

My father does not really use computers but since retiring, feels like he now has time to learn. The extent of his knowledge is limited to the operation of specific websites that operate on a mostly point and click basis.

We're going on the Nieuw Amsterdam next month I'm thinking of suggesting that he check out some of the computer classes offered onboard. Has anyone taken part in any of these classes? Did you feel like it was worth your time? The website does not specify, so, are there fees associated with the classes?

Classes are free and cover Windows 8, photography, photograph enhancements, and computer questions.

The seats with computers are in high demand so be there at least 15 minutes early. Some early-cruise classes have folks sitting on the floor and without computers. The classes are repeated throughout the cruise so no need to take them at their first appearance.

I loved the touch-screen computers and bought one for myself when I returned home.

There are some good handouts that you can use at home.

Just back from 21 nights on the Veendam. There were at least 5 classes offered each day. Introducing Windows 8, Windows 8 security, Windows 8 mail app, Edit photos like a pro, More Photo Editing, and a bunch of others (over 21 different classes, I think).

I felt they were worthwhile. They don't really cover how to use a computer, just how to use the apps available on Windows 8.

No cost to cruisers, and I agree the classes are repeated and the first time they are offered they are jammed.

My DH used to write code so is very computer savvy. He loved the classes, couldn't keep him out of them during one cruise, so I went off & did the cooking classes. As others have expressed, he learned something at every session which I would have thought with his experience would have been impossible!

OP, why don't you accompany your dad for 1 or 2 sessions. Let him decide if he's benefitting or not. He may surprise you.

OP, why don't you accompany your dad for 1 or 2 sessions. Let him decide if he's benefitting or not. He may surprise you.

I don't think he will be willing to go to more than 1 or 2 because it is a vacation, after all. I might though because I am in computer networking. While most companies still operate on XP or 7, they will eventually move forward. Since 8 is consumer oriented, I think most businesses will skip 8 and go with whatever comes next but it never hurts to know.

I think he will either love or hate the photography classes because he spent much of the 80s and 90s working part time on weekends as a portrait photographer. When things went digital, he left the field claiming that it had lost something for him. I always suspected that he just didn't have the time or desire to learn to do it.

I attended many of the classes- they are both Win8 and application related. The photo gallery and movie maker classes- on how to use those applications will not matter much if he is running win7 or win8. There was a beginning navigation (win Explorer) class as well as some other basis classes as well as how to move pictures from a SD card to the system- and where to put them. There was also "open lab" daily. So likely he can find something pretty basic.

For you, You might want to address specific questions you might have had- if any. The Introducing Win8 was interesting for me to hear "what they were thinking" when they unleashed win8. The Techspert was fabulous and helped me deal with a few multiprofile matters and issues with setting up and managing multiple email accounts.

I had just bought a Windows 8 system a few weeks before my last cruise in January. Next time they (MS) releases something that is so different I'm booking a cruise (sea day intensive) as a learning retreat.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

I thought they were terrible. I an not very good with computers and hoped to learn. I went to the one on photography because I needed to learn how to get pix from my digital camera into the computer. The instructor wouldn't show me how! He said the classes were for those who already knew computers. So what's the point? I left the class and I didn't leave a happy person.

I have attended several of the classes on various HAL cruises, and while they are informative, they are not designed to be the first line of instruction for those who are totally unfamiliar with computer use. I've been a computer uses since PCs became practical for the home, and I did pick up some info which I did not know, when I took one of the classes two years ago. There is not enough time to train someone in the use of a PC if they don't know much about it, in these short sessions.

I have also used digital cameras for quite a few years, and just bought a new one prior to the last cruise. Taking one of the digital class provided me with information that helped me take better pics on the cruise. I also visited the Tech guy during a question time, and clarified another angle for my digital.

The seminars are free, and sponsored by Microsoft. They should not be confused with a course you might sign-up for, at a local photo shop or a community college. JMO. Cheers. hmh;)

We have Win 8 at home and are still fumbling with it. I took several of the Win 8 classes on the ship. The instructions were extremely fast and I ended up attending a second session so I could take handwritten notes of what she said. There were handouts but the main info was "you can go online on the Web and find this info, etc."

She did answer questions but you could tell this was not a class to teach you how to use Win 8 so much as it was an overview of it. I must say, though, the computer/mouse we used was much nicer than mine at home!

We have Win 8 at home and are still fumbling with it. I took several of the Win 8 classes on the ship. The instructions were extremely fast and I ended up attending a second session so I could take handwritten notes of what she said. There were handouts but the main info was "you can go online on the Web and find this info, etc."

She did answer questions but you could tell this was not a class to teach you how to use Win 8 so much as it was an overview of it. I must say, though, the computer/mouse we used was much nicer than mine at home!

Thanks for letting me know.

Something you might want to try, if you're unhappy with windows 8, is searching online (I know, sorry) for techniques to make it look and operate like windows 7. I have seen step by step tutorials that show you exactly which settings to tweek.

Thanks for letting me know.

Something you might want to try, if you're unhappy with windows 8, is searching online (I know, sorry) for techniques to make it look and operate like windows 7. I have seen step by step tutorials that show you exactly which settings to tweek.

Our problem with Win 8 is that we don't have a touch screen computer at home. You can use your mouse to make it work, but it's a lot easier (as shown in class) to swipe the screen. Luckily we can click on the desktop icon and immediately go to our "old" way of using the computer.

If HAL would offer more comprehensive, longer classes that would give more than two minutes on each point, i.e., here's how to change your background color, here's how to switch apps, etc., I'd gladly pay for those classes. I realize I can go to them at the Microsoft store at home, but it would be nice to have that option on the ship.

Edited by scopewest