RCCL banning smoking on verandahs as of Jan. 1, 2014

my son and his family has had a Disney cruise booked for almost a year, when they booked this was not a policy, but has changed since then, they book a baclcony so his wifes mother could smoke, but now she can't and they had already paid in full. they leave for the cruise next week, they have chose not to tell her until she boards because there's really nothing they can do about it, they said she would be ok with it, maybe not happy, but ok- because as a smoker she is used to this type of thing, i'm not a smoker but i don't really mind a smoker as long as i don't get the direct smoke, but i feel a little bit good about this because fire is a real danger on cruise ships, and i think that i will rest better when we board the Enchantment of the Seas on January 20th knowing this, MHO..however i do understand how smokers would be upset over this,

also, if i was a smoker with everything changing for the smokers i would ask about smoking if i inquired about anything, our local (BIG) hospital is changing to no smoking anywhere on the grounds, even in your car, and they are sitting on a lot of ground,and are also adapting a no hire policy to anyone that smokes,,,,,but on the flip side they are telling anyone that works there and wants to stop they would provide them with all the meds or help that they need to quit.

You are so far behind the curve on this news, it has been beaten to death for quite sometime now.:rolleyes: And your free to choose whatever cruiseline you like, just wondering are you going to stop cruising altogether when the rest of the cruiselines follow suit?:rolleyes:

Fast forward to September 2014 and I'll lay money that someone posts with breaking news about how Royal has banned smoking on balconies.

I'm baffled as to why some of you think they would or should do this. :confused: When you book a balcony, do the reservation agents tell you to keep the slider closed for the AC, or tell you not to throw anything overboard, or tell you not to leave clothes hanging? Of course not. These are on board policy issues. You'd be on the phone all day and wait times would be hours if agents discussed all policies with you .That's why they have a website.

Aqauhound, I'm baffled that you responded as you did, I was merely saying that the rep saw no reason to mention it even though we were talking about balconies.

Sorry!

Edited by SAS21

I'm sailing in January and am very pleased that smoking is not allowed on balconies. Some friends sailed this summer in the Magic out of Galveston and had smokers in the next cabin. The neighbors smoked a lot on their balcony and it made the use of their own balcony much less enjoyable.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about that!

We are diamond plus with RCL and did not recieve the Sept. 9th email. Just spoke with a rep yesterday to have balcony discount added to balance due, and she made no mention of new smoking policy.

I already knew thanks to CC.

Many do not get their emails. Without CC we would not know about many RCL announcements.:eek:

They have a big problem with emails....we are D+ as well.

We haven't gotten them for a year now and recently signed up for the umpteenth time, and got one!!! but have no idea if they have sent more or not since.:confused:

Never never happen.

It has been tried, and it has failed.

I think there is NO doubt it will happen eventually. I remember smoking on airlines, in restaurants, bars, grocery stores, departme t stores, the work place, hospitals, hotels, etc... All of which have been banned in my state. Now they're banning it in outdoor places like parks. Why would anyone expect the trend to stop?

Yes, it's been tried and has failed on cruises but that doesnt mean it won't be tried again and succeed. The pendulum is too strong. Not saying I agree, but it's undeniable.

Edited by Upandadam

Not trying to be funny here, but years ago, when smoking was permitted everyplace, even in airplanes this question would never be addressed. But now, where it is a well known fact, that smoking is dangerous to both the smoker, and with second hand smoke that a smoker should be fully aware, that almost everyplace they go, that is public, will have smoking rules and bans. Most places are smoke free. It's the smokers responsibility to accept, and research where they can smoke, not the business to inform every guest what their posted rules are.

Many do not get their emails. Without CC we would not know about many RCL announcements.:eek:

They have a big problem with emails....we are D+ as well.

We haven't gotten them for a year now and recently signed up for the umpteenth time, and got one!!! but have no idea if they have sent more or not since.:confused:

Same here and we are Diamond and had just booked a cruise. As to the poster who asked if smokers will not cruise when/if other cruise lines follow, my personal answer is "yes" as it will not longer suit my preferences. I'm not sure why this is so hard to comprehend since so many of you refuse to cruise other lines because of things you consider unreasonable and others consider minor inconveniences. Besides, why do you care???

Thought other RCCL cruisers whom smoke on their verandahs might be interested to know that as of Jan. 1, 2014 they will only be permitted to smoke in designated areas onboard RCCL ships, which will no longer include their private balconies.

I'm sure many non smokers will be pleased with the news but smokers, like my husband, may choose to consider sailing with other cruise companies which still cater to ALL cruisers, not just a select group..

But they are still catering to "ALL cruisers".....if some one wants to smoke they just have to go to the designated area?!?!?

I am a non smoker, but my partner does smoke. I personally don't like being near some one when they are smoking, so I choose not to go sit next to some one that is smoking (it frustrates me when I see some one do that and then complain). I have never noticed smoke whilst being sat on the balcony...but I can imagine if the wind was in a certain direction I would notice it. However, as long as they were not chain smoking from dawn to dusk it would not bother me as I would just go out in between if necessary.

Although I don't agree with the "deception" comment I can see where the OP is coming from. I know they don't go through ALL the policies each time some one books a balcony. But if throwing stuff off the balcony was a fun past time and lots of people did it on a regular basis and the cruise line allowed it.....but then CHANGED the policy then I think they should mention that change.

However they would only be able to mention the change in the smoking policy for so long, ie 6 months after the ban, as not everyone would be aware. But a lot of cruisers don't travel as often as that and may still miss the news.

If I rang and booked a balcony it would not bother me if an agent took 10 seconds to say "Are you aware of our changes to our smoking policy?"

Although I don't smoke myself, and this is in no way reflective of my partners point of view.....I would not expect a cruise ship to be COMPLETELY smoke free. I love the fact that restaurants and pubs are smoke free and most flights are manageable for smokers. However cruises, especially Trans Atlantic cruises, where they are at sea for long periods of time would be impossible for most smokers.

I am not exactly sat on the fence, as I hate smoking and smoke being around me, but I can see it from the companies point of view and to a certain extent the person who posted the thread.

P.S what is the issue with e-cigs???

If you're referring to the Carnival Paradise, it sailed for six years as a non smoking ship. If I'm remembering correctly, it was explained by the company that they discontinued the non smoking ship not because of a lack of bookings, but because of the trouble in recruiting and retaining non smoking employees for that ship.

The funny thing is, I just got off of Splendor of the Seas Med cruise and spoke with someone in regards to the new smoking policy and the crew. Now I do not smoke so it does not phase me. She stated that when the ban goes into effect the crew will not have to follow suit as they have there own deck on the stern and a specified smoking room for them. Again don't really care I was just curious into this regards.

I was told that "unless people specifically asked about smoking on their balcony, they (RCCL reps) were not mentioning the new rule". "Not mentioning"...aka decieving customers, in my opinion, does not promote good customer relations nor return customers.

I have never been advised of the details of the smoking policy, when booking a cruise. It has not been mentioned, and I haven't asked. That is not deception; that is expecting the passengers to either look up or ask about policies of interest to them. The information is readily available. :cool:

For the record, I've also not been advised on policies about what you can and cannot pack or any of several other policies.

Well Celebrity recently announced that they consider their ships smoke free environments. But because they know some of their guests smoke they will allow smoking only in designated outdoor spots.

When they say smoke free they include e-cigs. Fines of $250 will be placed on your onboard account for violating their policy.

Disney, Cunard and Royal Caribbean have also recently made major changes toward nonsmoking (including e-cigs) ships

This is what I mean by smoke free cruise lines.

You use the term completely nonsmoking. Limiting smoking to only a couple of out of the way outdoor spots seems smoke free to me.

Unless something has changed in the last 2 months or so, Disney allows e-cigs everywhere both in their parks and on their ships.

Unless something has changed in the last 2 months or so, Disney allows e-cigs everywhere both in their parks and on their ships.

Correct. Princess also specifically states ecigs can be used everywhere except the dining rooms and theatre. (unless there is a complaint). I find it difficult anyone would complain about an ecig.

Correct. Princess also specifically states ecigs can be used everywhere except the dining rooms and theatre. (unless there is a complaint). I find it difficult anyone would complain about an ecig.

You have obviously not read the thread regarding the ban on e-cigs.

According to many they are a fire hazard, make people nauseous and a health risk to all. Some people live to complain.

They can't fill the ships as it is now another reason for people to look elsewhere to spend their vacation dollars. I don't even smoke that much just an occasional cigar and yes I smoked them on the balcony never when anyone was around but its getting so ridiculous. Yell at me if you want but we have almost 20 cruises between Carnival and RCI I am sure there more people just like me that wont post this for fear of getting flamed, guess we will stick toward Carnival or book AI beach vacations.

They can't fill the ships as it is now another reason for people to look elsewhere to spend their vacation dollars. I don't even smoke that much just an occasional cigar and yes I smoked them on the balcony never when anyone was around but its getting so ridiculous. Yell at me if you want but we have almost 20 cruises between Carnival and RCI I am sure there more people just like me that wont post this for fear of getting flamed, guess we will stick toward Carnival or book AI beach vacations.

Being an ex smoker who used to really enjoy lighting up on the balcony, I can relate. But, I didn't know they were having a hard time filling ships. Don't believe I've ever sailed on one that wasn't full. I think in time Carnival will follow suit. They used to allow smoking in the cabin but no longer do.

Not sure that your assertion that they can't fill the ships would hold up to examination and the number of smokers in the US and elsewhere is diminishing so they may not have the problems you foresee. :) Look around and you can readily see the trend towards non-smoking venues on cruise ships and elsewhere. For better or worse it seems inevitable.