What are the rules for tender boats?

Sdancer

I am in the process of researching which cruise line to try for my next cruise.

I'd like to know before the booking what are Holland America rules regarding the priority boarding on tender boats that I can make an informed decision.

Since I like to explore many ports on my own,

it is especially important to me when we have to use tender boats to be able to leave the ship as early as possible, do not have to wait until ALL the passengers who booked excursions with the cruise line left the ship.

I am trying not to book with the cruise lines that have a strict priority for tender boats for all the passengers going on shore who booked shore excursion with them and have independents to board tender boats last.

I would really appreciate to know Holland America tender boat rules.

HAL loads tenders with the people who booked their shore excursions, those who are very high day Mariners (repeaters) and those in Suites as priority. Other guests are then tendered ashore.

Thank you so much for your excellent reply!

I am in the process of researching which cruise line to try for my next cruise.

I'd like to know before the booking what are Holland America rules regarding the priority boarding on tender boats that I can make an informed decision.

Since I like to explore many ports on my own,

it is especially important to me when we have to use tender boats to be able to leave the ship as early as possible, do not have to wait until ALL the passengers who booked excursions with the cruise line left the ship.

I am trying not to book with the cruise lines that have a strict priority for tender boats for all the passengers going on shore who booked shore excursion with them and have independents to board tender boats last.

I would really appreciate to know Holland America tender boat rules.

How many of the ports will be "tender ports" on your next cruise?

How many of the ports will be "tender ports" on your next cruise?

I was looking at Panama Canal itinerary but found that though it has only one TR day, it has disproportionally high number of At Sea days and CO days plus at some ports the time is only a few hours.

I'll keep looking :).

If money is no object, book the least expensive shore tour that leaves early, and don't go on it. :D

Seriously? The cheapest excursion will most likely be a short one that might have a later start and tender time, perhaps after open tender times have started.

Probably a better investment would be getting a cabin at a level that gives you tender priority, plus, of course, other perks at that level.

We have only cruised on 14 different lines (more then 75 different ships) so I guess there are others with different rules. But nearly all the mass market cruise lines follow the same procedure when it comes to tender priorities. The excursion groups sold by the ship will always have priority. Those in the higher frequent cruiser categories (4 and 5 Star Mariners on HA) will also have priority and there is also priority for suite passengers on many lines. All other independent passengers are accommodated on a first come first serve basis with most lines (including HA) giving out tender tickets to control the flow.

Hank

We have only cruised on 14 different lines (more then 75 different ships) so I guess there are others with different rules. But nearly all the mass market cruise lines follow the same procedure when it comes to tender priorities. The excursion groups sold by the ship will always have priority. Those in the higher frequent cruiser categories (4 and 5 Star Mariners on HA) will also have priority and there is also priority for suite passengers on many lines. All other independent passengers are accommodated on a first come first serve basis with most lines (including HA) giving out tender tickets to control the flow.

Hank

It would only make good business sense to operate that way. I find it very doubtful that any cruise line would operate differently. Waiting for the OP to come back to prove me wrong.

Hank

Hi Hank,

I was only on 4 different cruise lines and never on HAL. On two cruise lines I was able to leave on the first or second tender without purchasing excursions. On one line I had to wait for three hours, no exceptions.

I understand the need to give out tender tickets to control the flow.

Would being first in line to get a tender ticket as an independent (and first time cruiser on HAL on a low category cabin) assure that I leave the ship with the 1st or 2nd tender or at least during the first hour after the ship was cleared by port authorities?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

If money is no object, book the least expensive shore tour that leaves early, and don't go on it. :D

Bah! If money is no object, book a suite and get tender priority included in the package and all the rest of the suite goodies. :p

Keeping in mind priority does not let you go to the head of the line, merely that you can show up at any time you want and stand in line with those already gathered there. Good thing about the smaller HAL ships is we have never felt materially delayed at any port by the tendering process, unless it was weather compromised.

And there is no priority boarding when you return to the ship; only that priority boarding lets you have a little more flexibility about your departure protocol.

Edited by OlsSalt

Hi Hank,

I was only on 4 different cruise lines and never on HAL. On two cruise lines I was able to leave on the first or second tender without purchasing excursions. On one line I had to wait for three hours, no exceptions.

Would being first in line to get a tender ticket as an independent (and first time cruiser on HAL on a low category cabin) assure that I leave the ship with the 1st or 2nd tender or at least during the first hour after the ship was cleared by port authorities?

Of course no one can assure you here, but we have found HAL passengers are very savvy travelers who also show up early and try also to get the best positions too. It is an art form to watch sometimes. Particularly for shore excursion and bus loading. So you will have some competition trying to be the first off the boat.

Learned to also be (guilty as charged) in the mad dash sitting at the back of the show room to be first out the door and down the stairway when our shore excursion gets called. Plus the trick for tenders is to not necessarily be the first one on, because that can make you the last one off. Which juggles this game around considerably. How do you know your place in line will at the end of the cut off point for tender passengers? :cool:

No one is pushy and we have always found HAL passengers to be a very seasoned and courteous group, but persistence and strategy in disembarking can pay off.

However, there has also never been a port stop where we felt cheated for time and if weather delays happen, many times the captains have been very accommodating about adjusting the schedules so we get the full time in port.

Overall, there is a high degree of efficiency in disembarkation. Hope it works out for you no matter which cruise line you finally choose.

I believe all cruise lines will priority their excursions. Your only other bet would to make sure you are first in line where they are giving tender tickets.

Even that doesn't always work. Recent cruise we arrived before 7am (tenders were supposed to start at 7am) but without being on one of their tours waited til 8.30 to be called.

Hi Hank,

Am wondering which lines let you simply hop on an early tender. We have sometimes (but rarely) seen this happen (even on HA) when the tendering gets an early start and the tour groups are not yet ready to depart (they usually muster in a lounge and leave the ship as a group). DW and I are independent travelers (seldom to ever book any tour) and find that our favorite frequent cruiser perk (we are in the higher categories on 6 lines) is the ability to catch a tender on our own schedule

In a related issue (independent touring) we have noticed that HA has moved away from providing information to help independents. At one time it was normal to have a port expert (we are not talking about the excursion sales sharks) who would provide lots of info to independent travelers. On our most recent HA cruise (just returned yesterday from 28 days on the Veendam) there was no info for independents and no port expert. Those of us who tend to do our own thing had to rely on our own research (generally done pre-cruise). The only non-excursion info provided by HA were their "customized shopping maps" which highlight merchants willing to pay "promotional fees."

Another sad fact about cruise line excursions is that its no longer sufficient to charge the big bucks for the excursion. More and more excursions subject their charges to visits to one or more shops who kick-back fees and percentages to the tour operators. In a sense passengers are paying high prices for tours to take them to oft overpriced shops/factories who also contribute to the bottom line.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Am wondering which lines let you simply hop on an early tender. We have sometimes (but rarely) seen this happen (even on HA) when the tendering gets an early start and the tour groups are not yet ready to depart (they usually muster in a lounge and leave the ship as a group). DW and I are independent travelers (seldom to ever book any tour) and find that our favorite frequent cruiser perk (we are in the higher categories on 6 lines) is the ability to catch a tender on our own schedule

In a related issue (independent touring) we have noticed that HA has moved away from providing information to help independents. At one time it was normal to have a port expert (we are not talking about the excursion sales sharks) who would provide lots of info to independent travelers. On our most recent HA cruise (just returned yesterday from 28 days on the Veendam) there was no info for independents and no port expert. Those of us who tend to do our own thing had to rely on our own research (generally done pre-cruise). The only non-excursion info provided by HA were their "customized shopping maps" which highlight merchants willing to pay "promotional fees."

Another sad fact about cruise line excursions is that its no longer sufficient to charge the big bucks for the excursion. More and more excursions subject their charges to visits to one or more shops who kick-back fees and percentages to the tour operators. In a sense passengers are paying high prices for tours to take them to oft overpriced shops/factories who also contribute to the bottom line.

Hank

Wouldn't it be best for a person to do their own research rather then reply on the cruise ship?

Also, what's up with the thumbs down on this post?

I've found policies regarding tendering sometimes can differ on the individual ship versus even what the "official" policy is, so there is no guarantee. I've traveled on a lot of different lines, so I can't remember the specifics of which line did what, but I do know that there have been times where I have waited at the tender line and been let on if there is a space or two left after a tour group or groups have boarded. This would obviously be more difficult with a larger group.

The best way I've found around the tender issue is to take a smaller ship. When you are on a vessel that only holds around 350 passengers, tendering becomes a non-issue. Definitely not the same as on a 2,000 (or larger) passenger mega-ship....

Regarding independents: Sometimes it's not an issue between a ship tour versus a private tour. Sometimes people just want to have the maximum amount of time allowable in port to explore on their own.

Edited by cruisemom42

…...

Hank

The forced "shopping experiences" are something we have never been subjected to on any HAL cruise which is one thing we really like about them. However we have experienced the occasional rogue tour leader who tries to tack something on the end on their own.

Most recently in Kusadasi-(Ephesus), Turkey who after all was said and done on what had been an excellent tour to that point, threw in a "extra" stop on the way back to the port to have a "carpet "education" (shopping) experience". We ditched the tour at that point to go back to the ship on our own, and he missed out on his previously well-earned tip.

When a tour guide deviates from the expected plan, this needs to be reported to the shore excursion people. HAL so far has not tried to exploit the shore excursion experiences with these annoying shopping extras unless as can happen it is requested by the passengers, or as can happen a rogue guide plays fast and loose with what I assume is clear HAL policy up front.

One other ploy is for the guide to announce that "some passengers" have requested a shopping stop, but when it has been put to a vote to the rest of the group it gets soundly defeated.

China was/is notorious for almost demanding their guides spend time at shopping stops, sometimes with the ploy there are "western" bathrooms there which in the early days of China tourism was worth it even to get herded into a huge shopping emporium.

Overall, HAL shore excursions are blissfully free from these shopping intrusion unless it is stated upfront one will visit hand-crafted centers, etc or it is a frank shopping or market area experience.