Upsell Question

bunburyseagull

Hello everyone,

We are going on a Med cruise in April 2014 on the Eurodam,we have picked our cabin,I was just wondering could we still be offered an Upsell or is that only if you book Guarantee?

Jill

On our recent cruise, we received 3 upsell offers in the last 2 weeks before the cruise. We had selected a specific room.

If you mark your confirmation no upgrade/upsell, you will not be offered any.

If you do not mark it thus, you could be offered something.

I marked mine no upgrade when I bought it. Didn't say no upsell. Would I still be offered an upsell ?

Yes, you could be offered an upsell. Marking a reservation do not upgrade doesn't preclude you receiving an upsell offer.

I agree! We don't want an upgrade, because it would actually be a downgrade.:( We always tell our TA we would consider an upsell, and we have been offered them in the past, even to cabin selection.

Karen

I agree! We don't want an upgrade, because it would actually be a downgrade.:( We always tell our TA we would consider an upsell, and we have been offered them in the past, even to cabin selection.

Karen

Last cruise we were able to pick our SZ cabin and DID NOT want an upgrade, as we felt that any other SY or SS woulld be worse, so we marked it DO NOT UPGRADE. We did get an upsell offer to an SA for $149 pp (7 day cruise), so we took that.

DaveOKC

We did a Med cruise in September (our first HAL cruise) and booked a guarantee oceanview. We told our TA that we would be interested in upsells/ upgrades, but we were never offered any. We even asked when we boarded if we could upgrade our cabin to a balcony (willing to pay) since the cruise wasn't sold out and we were told no.

Thank you for all your comments, I have told my TA that I would be interested in an Upsell, so I'll just have to wait and see what happens,...
Be sure to have a maximum price in mind, because if the call comes it's pretty much an instant take-it-or-lose-it situation.

We even asked when we boarded if we could upgrade our cabin to a balcony (willing to pay) since the cruise wasn't sold out and we were told no.
It could have been that all the balconies had already been filled with upgrades or upsells, and only cabins at or below your level were vacant.

Edited by jtl513

Thank you for all your comments, I have told my TA that I would be interested in an Upsell, so I'll just have to wait and see what happens,I am more than happy with the Cabin we chose,but would love an Upsell to a suite!!Thanks again.

This is what we do as well. You never know what may be offered, but it's worth a shot. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

That's not always the case. We have a cruise on the Maasdam in December. We booked a specific cabin and marked it no upgrade. Today our travel agent called to say HAL was offering to move us up to an ocean view from our interior for $129.00 each. We decided not to take it, as we had picked our specific cabin while we were on the Maasdam in April. Maybe if they come up with a better offer we will consider it. If not we are happy to stay where we are.

This is definitely not so.... we have always marked our booking "do not upgrade" and we have been offered an upsell on almost all of them. Some we take, others we have declined, depending on price.

Thank you for all your comments, I have told my TA that I would be interested in an Upsell, so I'll just have to wait and see what happens,I am more than happy with the Cabin we chose,but would love an Upsell to a suite!!Thanks again.

If you booked a verandah, you could be offered an upsell to a suite. In my experience, it is unusual to be offered an upsell to a suite if an inside or outside was booked.

Edited by Chelly

Maybe that is YOUR not true but not ours.

;) We have not been offered upsells/upgrades in about 80+ HAL cruises.

It's been about ten years since!

WOW! In last ten or so HAL cruises, I've been upgraded with every booking. Offered upsells almost every cruise. Maybe I've misunderstood your post.

Edited by Chelly

Maybe that is YOUR not true but not ours.

;) We have not been offered upsells/upgrades in about 80+ HAL cruises.

It's been about ten years since!

Perhaps. But in your post which I quoted you were quite definite that if the OP marked his booking "no upgrade/upsell" he would not be offered any. That is not accurate, and I therefore I shared my experience.

Per My experience, it is true, as I stated.

Clearly, your experience and ours differ. ;)

There is not many places to go from an SA. That is likely why. That said, it's been few and far between for me and I rarely pick a cabin. I'm hoping my luck is going to change now that I'm using a PCC.

Per My experience, it is true, as I stated.

Clearly, your experience and ours differ. ;)

Obviously. But the difference is you stated that the OP "will not get" an upgrade, whereas others, including myself, have gotten them. I wouldn't want the OP to be misled into believing it does not and could not happen, when it does - quite frequently.

Yes, of course, there is only one category higher, however, there have been times when we knew at least one Pinnacle Suite (then "PS") was empty.

We have used a PCC for years. :)

Interesting Sail. I don't know about the other ships but I do know that the Prinsendam PS will sail empty if they don't get a certain amount of $ in the way of an upsell offer. With the exception of one cruise, we always select a specific cabin and have received several upsell offers:) We use a TA who I credit with the last upsell offer:D

On our August cruise both my inlaws as well as Dh and myself marked our stateroom selection no upgrade/upsell and we both received two upsell offers.We took the second one. Perhaps this has changed in recent years.

If you booked a verandah, you could be offered an upsell to a suite. In my experience, it is unusual to be offered an upsell to a suite if an inside or outside was booked.

Wow that would be amazing if that happens!!We're Happy with our balcony cabin,but would love a Suite!! fingers are crossed,