Theft on Nieuw Amsterdam

Travel_2013

Sorry for your loss and distress. No fun at all.

I have noticed on many cruise ships, the drawers are very shallow and sometime items can fall down behind the drawer in the cabinet... when ever I am missing something that is an area i look.

I have also found previous guest electronic ear pieces in a safe in the past and turned them in, this happen in hotel rooms vs a cruise.

Hope your device turns up.

It definitely can happen and that Jaw Bone would be very temping, I am sure.

A woman's phone was stolen on a Disney Cruise. The photos the thief took started synching with her computer. Then it got really funny: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/23/disney-cruise-iphone-thief-uploads-photos-to-photo-stream-facebook_n_1539353.html

How awful to have a theft and get no help (or even a sympathetic ear) from Guest Relations. Having spent more then 3 years on cruise ships (about 300 days on HA) we have long trusted our cabin stewards. However, there are others who have cabin access (such as the staff who stock the cabin beverages and some maintenance staff) and a cabin is very vulnerable during the boat drill when there are no passengers (and limited crew) in the corridors. What we find very distressing is the lack of support from Guest Relations (there is no excuse for this). Every ship has some "rotten apples" and it sounds like you have been victimized by one.

In your situation we would certainly follow-up with a personal letter to Seattle (direct it to the CEO) explaining the situation. Not sure this will get you any satisfaction but it's certainly worth a few minutes of your time.

Hank

Hank, thank you for your kind words and your advice. Now that I think more about it, the Guest Relations person we were dealing with must have been new, as he was the same guy that came to fix the lock on our safe after we checked in and could not lock it and he could not even find where to plug in the re-setting device, he said it was "his first time"!

It definitely can happen and that Jaw Bone would be very temping, I am sure.

A woman's phone was stolen on a Disney Cruise. The photos the thief took started synching with her computer. Then it got really funny: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/23/disney-cruise-iphone-thief-uploads-photos-to-photo-stream-facebook_n_1539353.html

Thanks! This is priceless! Worth getting my story out there for sure. I hope everyone who doubted my sanity and thought I was blaming someone without a proof gets to see this.

One note about the safe- last year we did a Windstar cruise (yes, I know not HAL but could still happen). I had a valuable diamond ring that I left in the safe with my other jewelry. Imagine my dismay when I got home and did not have the ring, although I had my other jewelry.

To try and shorten the story, it seems I left it in the safe on the ship. I normally check the safe with a flashlight but forgot my flashlight on that trip (that won't happen again). Believe it or not, the security folks on the ship make a routine trip through every safe at the end of each voyage. They found the ring (in ring case). The CEO of Windstar was on the next sailing, he took it back to Seattle for me where I went and claimed it.

Yes, it was insured but again-- it's the sentimental value that I was worried about. It was my step-mothers wedding ring which is beautiful but not a "practical" ring to wear all the time so take it for whatever fancy events we might attend.

So be sure and take a flashlight and double check your safe before departure. I feel very fortunate to have gotten the ring returned. I sent a thank-you note to the CEO and enclosed a check for the crew fund. Seemed the least I could do!

Great story with a happy ending! My husband brings his every little gadget, including a flashlight. We used it to check under the beds and in the closets. Unfortunately without a success.

Hank, thank you for your kind words and your advice. Now that I think more about it, the Guest Relations person we were dealing with must have been new, as he was the same guy that came to fix the lock on our safe after we checked in and could not lock it and he could not even find where to plug in the re-setting device, he said it was "his first time"!

OMG! A "Guest Services Virgin" which can really be a sad situation. But that is no excuse for them not quickly following-up on your issue. At the very least they should have referred the incident to the onboard Security Officer who should have at least given you the courtesy of a visit to ascertain the events. Sometimes we wonder if HA (and some of their competition) are following our government's example and taking no responsibility for anything. It is much easier to blame everyone else (including the passengers) rather then conducting an investigation that can do nothing but cast the cruise line in a bad light.

Hank

a couple of years ago I posted a thread on thank you to HAL's lost and found.

We were missing an important item when we got home. It was not that valuable - more sentimental than anything - but sentiment is just that - sentiment.

We figured it dropped when we were packing and the huge bedding hid it.

I called an nothing was reported.

So, I filed a report - 9 weeks later I got a call asking me to identify the item and it was returned to us (without charge) by Fed Ex. I was very impressed.

so, file a report on board and send an email when you get home to Seattle to their lost and found department. You might get a pleasant surprise.

I can't tell you how happy I was when I got the call - it wasn't that valuable but it was irreplaceable so it meant a lot to us.

I worry more about some passengers than I do about the HAL staff:eek: - case in point - left my prescription glasses in the show lounge after bingo (yes, I know MY fault) and went right back - they were gone. (I put it down to the excitement of winning something) Long story short, despite being prescription glasses and HAL being sure they would be returned the frames were a new European version. The glasses never appeared and the lovely staff at HAL prepared a lost and stolen report for my insurance company (which I would have never thought of). 15 days later the glasses never appeared. Both DH and I feel it was not an employee of HAL that took them:eek:;)

File the report - you might be surprised at what happens. Good luck and yes, I think you know what you packed - I always do:)

We filed the report right when we reported the missing item.

I was on that trip with you The 1st day was a zoo They had a Coast Guard inspection, Immigrations, and and Health inspection at the same day. The poor stewards were behind my room was not ready. It is possible the door was left open while cleaning.

I also lost something that trip My night gown ended up missing i am guessing it got tangled up in the sheets. Cannot imagine anybody wanting that.

I completely understand your dilema. A few years back on a carnival cruise, I left my jacket in the room while the crew was still preparing rooms for the turnover, needless to say it disappeared. When we reported it, we had the carnival "detectives" inspect our room, looking everywhere including our empty suitcases. We were made to feel like our own thieves! The jacket was never found despite all the footage available onboard ships of people coming in and out of out rooms. I learned never to leave anything in the room despite what the room steward may say until the room is totally turned over to you for the duration of the cruise. We did have insurance and it covered the price of my jacket but left a nasty feeling about leaving things out in our room, even though we still are very trusting people. I hope you had insurance as well!

OMG! A "Guest Services Virgin" which can really be a sad situation. But that is no excuse for them not quickly following-up on your issue. At the very least they should have referred the incident to the onboard Security Officer who should have at least given you the courtesy of a visit to ascertain the events. Sometimes we wonder if HA (and some of their competition) are following our government's example and taking no responsibility for anything. It is much easier to blame everyone else (including the passengers) rather then conducting an investigation that can do nothing but cast the cruise line in a bad light.

Hank

Hank, to be honest, we didn't even know what the protocol was, as this has never happened to us before. We definitely didn't want to point the blame on anyone, as this was the first day of our cruise, so we didn't want to start big investigation.

But now that you mentioned the security procedures resembling the government's, I have another story. When we were checking in and they screened our luggage, they confiscated my husband's diving knife. He always bring is with him and never had a problem before. They told us we would get it when we were getting off the ship for security reasons. The last night on the ship they called us to come and pick up the knife. So we still had it while on the ship. What was the point of that?

I completely understand your dilema. A few years back on a carnival cruise, I left my jacket in the room while the crew was still preparing rooms for the turnover, needless to say it disappeared. When we reported it, we had the carnival "detectives" inspect our room, looking everywhere including our empty suitcases. We were made to feel like our own thieves! The jacket was never found despite all the footage available onboard ships of people coming in and out of out rooms. I learned never to leave anything in the room despite what the room steward may say until the room is totally turned over to you for the duration of the cruise. We did have insurance and it covered the price of my jacket but left a nasty feeling about leaving things out in our room, even though we still are very trusting people. I hope you had insurance as well!

As I mentioned, my insurance deductible is more than the cost of the speaker, so I am in no luck.

Thanks! This is priceless! Worth getting my story out there for sure. I hope everyone who doubted my sanity and thought I was blaming someone without a proof gets to see this.

Nobody is doubting your sanity --- just questioning assigning blame to your steward without proof. The iPhone lady had as good as a signed confession.

I was on that trip with you The 1st day was a zoo They had a Coast Guard inspection, Immigrations, and and Health inspection at the same day. The poor stewards were behind my room was not ready. It is possible the door was left open while cleaning.

I also lost something that trip My night gown ended up missing i am guessing it got tangled up in the sheets. Cannot imagine anybody wanting that.

That is entirely possible and that's why my story should serve as warning to other passengers.

You never know, someone may have liked your night gown ;)

Nobody is doubting your sanity --- just questioning assigning blame to your steward without proof. The iPhone lady had as good as a signed confession.

As I said, I am not blaming anyone and if I had a proof I would not be missing anything, would I?

Travel 2013- sounds like you looked very diligently for your electronic device. (see, I'm so old I don't even know what it is!).

Because Windstar is a small company, I got to know the CEO's Administrative Assistant pretty well. She's also in charge of lost items- and wow has she had some doozies! Great lady to work with- she actually met me at Sea-Tac to return the ring. Above and beyond!

As I said, I am not blaming anyone and if I had a proof I would not be missing anything, would I?

I read your post again and you said the steward was in your room and had not removed the dishes as he was possibly leaving the room in a hurry. I read that as an insinuation but I may be mistaken. Sometimes when you re read something you can see it as being able to be read in two ways. If I took it other than the way you intended then I do apologize.

Did you and your husband check all the pockets of everything you might have been wearing?

I *just* found something in a suitcase that I "lost" on our last cruise in March.

Just sayin".

Although Jaw bone speaker is very small, it would have to be a pretty big pocket to fit it in and lose it. I think the dimensions are 2"x 6"x 5".

I read your post again and you said the steward was in your room and had not removed the dishes as he was possibly leaving the room in a hurry. I read that as an insinuation but I may be mistaken. Sometimes when you re read something you can see it as being able to be read in two ways. If I took it other than the way you intended then I do apologize.

No need to apologize. I was just stating the facts. The bed was turned down. The dishes were still there. The Jaw bone was gone. To my knowledge the only person who should have been in my cabin at that time was the cabin steward.

If I knew that there were cameras I would have investigated more. I've never been robbed, so I have no experience with this.

But I don't think I am the one to blame, am I?

Did you and your husband check all the pockets of everything you might have been wearing?

I *just* found something in a suitcase that I "lost" on our last cruise in March.

Just sayin".

That always happens to me. :o This cruise, it was simply two envelopes: One with the receipts from the ship; the other was the envelope with the receipts with things I bought in the ports. I knew I had them to do the Customs thingy...but didn't find them til a week later...inside something or other in my suitcase!

No worries, Sapper. I read it the same way. In actuality, on our recent NA cruise, the dishes were often there...the room stewards left them for Room Service to retrieve. On other ships, that hasn't been the case. No big deal.

Actually, on our last day, our room steward had done our room, I returned to finish up packing...but was resting on the sofa, procrastinating, because I came down with a miserable cold. Knock on the door. Room Service. To retrieve the tray (no...the steward hadn't removed it). He was so cute...saw me blowing my nose, sneezing, the whole thing. Came running back with hot water, lemon, and honey for me.

….someone stole an item from our cabin. I say stole because I know where it was left and we searched the whole cabin 5 times. It was a Jawbone bluetooth speaker and it was in a velvet pouch, so it may have looked to someone as a jewellery box. My husband left it on the make up table beside the ice bucket when we had to go to the safety drill.

After we came back from dinner, the bed was made up, so clearly the cabin stewart was there, but oddly the dirty dishes from my afternoon snack were still on the coffee table.

Why would he/she not clean those? Perhaps forgot because he was trying to leave the cabin in a hurry?

Not exactly blaming of the cabin stewart (sic) but certainly pointing a suspicious finger his way and none other.

Period of time when this theft could have occurred: safety drill until after dinner on the first day.

I'm sorry you lost an item that was important to you. I do know that the room stewards leave the doors open as they do up several rooms. It makes it way too easy for a guest to enter.

As far as the room stewards, they would lose their jobs if they took anything and they really want those jobs. I can't imagine any of them taking anything at all.