Theft on Nieuw Amsterdam

Travel_2013

Yes, it really did, and I felt violated. I will always remember his face because he tried to hug me.:( I was actually shaking when I returned to the MDR, and after talking it over with my DH I reported it to the front desk. I never reported it on here before because of the continual defending of HAL crews - who are 99.9% wonderful - but you have to accept that there is always "one bad apple" and be on your guard.

The default obviously is to defend HAL crews if this has been our own experiences, and if people never report they had different experiences like yourself. :confused:

I am sorry you had to experience this and don't blame you for being very shaken. Glad you reported it. Both then and now.

I had a pair of capris with labels still attached go missing on a cruise (not HAL) in the past year and was sure that I had hung them up; but thought well maybe I left them at home. Thought that I was going crazy. I noticed the cabin steward was nervous around me but I never put two and two together because like several people on this thread I thought his job was like gold and he would never take anything. When I got home...no capris. Thinking back I am almost positive it was the steward. I did not report it. They were designer but I bought them on sale. I figure he saw the labels and took them as a new gift for his wife or girlfriend or mother. Should I have reported it? Probably but i did not want him to loose his job over a pair of capris. In hindsight not sure that I did the right thing.

I agree, you definitely should have reported the theft, had you known for sure that you had packed them. As there was doubt in your mind, however, it was probably better not to, so don't second guess your decision.

I used to travel with expensive jewelry. Not anymore. And, I don't pack expensive clothes. The way I look at it these days, I am traveling with a bunch of strangers. I don't need to wear expensive jewelry or clothing to make an impression. I don't travel with ANYTHING that will upset me if it is lost of stolen. I don't even bring a laptop or tablet when I'm cruising.

Camera, passport, credit cards and cash all stay in the safe. I don't purchase expensive items. My travels are stress-free and I don't set myself up for potential problems.

On shore, I never carry a purse. Money, id and credit card are worn beneath my clothes. I keep a little cash in my pocket that is secured with a large pin. No worries, enjoyable travel.

Interesting discussion.

Professor Ross Klein of Memorial University has argued that there should be efforts to create a bank of information from all cruise lines concerning "incidents at sea", including engine room fires, assaults etc,.

Such data could be collated and assessed for meaningful patterns. No doubt thefts should be part of those reports.

Without statistical analysis we remain in the dark and reliant upon anecdotal evidence to inform our behaviours on board concerning security. Without publication of that knowledge, perhaps the cruiselines are not as concerned with safety and security of property as they might be.

He has a website: Cruisejunkie dot com.

Interesting discussion.

Professor Ross Klein of Memorial University has argued that there should be efforts to create a bank of information from all cruise lines concerning "incidents at sea", including engine room fires, assaults etc,.

Such data could be collated and assessed for meaningful patterns. No doubt thefts should be part of those reports.

Without statistical analysis we remain in the dark and reliant upon anecdotal evidence to inform our behaviours on board concerning security. Without publication of that knowledge, perhaps the cruiselines are not as concerned with safety and security of property as they might be.

He has a website: Cruisejunkie dot com.

My guess is the informal network of travel agents pretty much knows which lines keep passengers happy and which ones do not. CDC and EPA keeps reports on individual ships for their concerns. So some of this data is tracked scrupulously.

I wasn't going to post on this thread, but I am rather concerned about all the people who firmly believe no crew member would steal, or otherwise do something they should not. There are "good" and "bad" people everywhere, including onboard a ship, whether it be passengers or crew members. A few years ago on the Zaandam, I caught our two room stewards doing something they should not when I returned to our cabin for something right after leaving for dinner. One was possibly keeping "look out" but had been distracted by passengers engaging him in conversation in the hallway, and I came around the corner from the elevator lobby, and caught the other one going through the drawers, and with the tip money from a drawer in his hand. There was very quick and very ashamed movement and rapid explanations that made no sense. I was mortified and not sure what to do, but yes I did report it to the front desk, and we had a change in stewards. I don't know what happened to them, I simply submitted an incident report and left it at that. But I certainly did not like the fact that my clothing had been rummaged through.

So while it's a sad comment on our times, you cannot be trusting of all crew just because you think they wouldn't do something like that. I never leave even a few dollar bills anywhere but the safe.

Aww, what an awful thing to happen. It somehow seems worst when you catch them in the act. :eek:

Glad you reported it - if any other passenger had anything go missing then hopefully HAL would put 2+2 together

I used to travel with expensive jewelry. Not anymore. And, I don't pack expensive clothes. The way I look at it these days, I am traveling with a bunch of strangers. I don't need to wear expensive jewelry or clothing to make an impression. I don't travel with ANYTHING that will upset me if it is lost of stolen. I don't even bring a laptop or tablet when I'm cruising.

Camera, passport, credit cards and cash all stay in the safe. I don't purchase expensive items. My travels are stress-free and I don't set myself up for potential problems.

On shore, I never carry a purse. Money, id and credit card are worn beneath my clothes. I keep a little cash in my pocket that is secured with a large pin. No worries, enjoyable travel.

That's the smart way to travel, Chelly.

I wasn't going to post on this thread, but I am rather concerned about all the people who firmly believe no crew member would steal, or otherwise do something they should not. There are "good" and "bad" people everywhere, including onboard a ship, whether it be passengers or crew members. A few years ago on the Zaandam, I caught our two room stewards doing something they should not when I returned to our cabin for something right after leaving for dinner. One was possibly keeping "look out" but had been distracted by passengers engaging him in conversation in the hallway, and I came around the corner from the elevator lobby, and caught the other one going through the drawers, and with the tip money from a drawer in his hand. There was very quick and very ashamed movement and rapid explanations that made no sense. I was mortified and not sure what to do, but yes I did report it to the front desk, and we had a change in stewards. I don't know what happened to them, I simply submitted an incident report and left it at that. But I certainly did not like the fact that my clothing had been rummaged through.

So while it's a sad comment on our times, you cannot be trusting of all crew just because you think they wouldn't do something like that. I never leave even a few dollar bills anywhere but the safe.

That's very disappointing, Annette. I hope those two are no longer with HAL. We, too, keep valuables in the safe...with the exception of my notepad that won't fit. And, I leave the cameras out. But, money, passports, all that, are in the safe. And I don't travel with expensive jewelry.

We were on your same exact cruise on Verandah level 5 and had no problems. Like the others, I did see cabin doors open while the crew were cleaning them -- easy access for some other traveler to go in and snatch something quickly - especially if it was left in eyesight. My husband and I left everything (with the exception of $ which was in the safe) in plain sight, but had no problems. I would definitely file a formal report with HAL if you haven't already done so. If there is a pattern of thefts on the boat over weeks/months, then they may be able to find the culprit - though most likely it was one of our fellow passengers. :mad: Sorry this happened to you and your husband. :(

We were on your same exact cruise on Verandah level 5 and had no problems. Like the others, I did see cabin doors open while the crew were cleaning them -- easy access for some other traveler to go in and snatch something quickly - especially if it was left in eyesight. My husband and I left everything (with the exception of $ which was in the safe) in plain sight, but had no problems. I would definitely file a formal report with HAL if you haven't already done so. If there is a pattern of thefts on the boat over weeks/months, then they may be able to find the culprit - though most likely it was one of our fellow passengers. :mad: Sorry this happened to you and your husband. :(

Just a warm welcome to you to cruise critic :D

Most of the cabin stewards are not involved in the drill, except possibly to check cabins for people trying to duck it. The Signature ships have 18 lifeboats with usually one crew at each, possibly two, and most of them are not cabin stewards. Maybe none are.

I mentioned this to the front desk when we reported the missing item, that maybe someone was checking the cabin during the drill and I was told they don't do that. They only check your cabin if you are missing for the roll call.

I recognize this is your first post. Welcome to our forum :)

As I mentioned before, the speaker was not little and would not fit on the tray. If he did put it away, we would have found it, we went through all the drawers, under the bed, sofa, etc.etc.

No, we did not ask the steward, we did not want him to feel that we were accusing him.

This has been an eye opener for me reading all these various responses to my thread. I cannot believe how many people still blame me for accusing the possibly innocent steward and put the blame the fellow passengers. I guess I was naive but it never even crossed my mind to suspect the passengers. I never had a problem with the door closing properly, nor was I suspicious when I saw the door propped open while they were cleaning the cabin.

The reason for my post was to warn everyone and to see if anyone had a similar experience, so thanks to all of you who shared theirs.

Although we reported the incident we did not pursue the matter any further. I felt that by interviewing the stewards they would feel being accused of stealing and frankly did not know what else to do. I think the front desk should have had suggestions other than "fill out the form and make a claim to your insurance". If they say this to everyone, how is anyone's job threatened if they actually do steal anything? That is my question.