Theft on Nieuw Amsterdam

Travel_2013

I believe most of those things have happened on a carnival ship. You can bet if I was on a carnival ship I'd have everything locked up just like I would in a hotel. Yes, I have sailed on carnival. I would hope that Hal wouldn't hire such dodgy people.

Like I mentioned before, I wouldn't trust other pax as far as I can throw them.

Go to *****************....many more ships other than Carnival ships have had these crew members. Apparently, sexual assault of teenagers is becoming a very big problem.

hmmmm...this site would not allow me to put the website on here!!! but there is a website that tracks these crimes. I am sure you can google it...

Edited by existentialtraveler

Many of these posts mention that crew are too scared for their jobs to steal stuff, and I agree, although I am sure a HAL crewmember somewhere at some time has stolen something.

But if they are THAT worried, then why do they leave cabin doors propped open when they can't keep an eye on the door/cabin to see if anyone enters? If the door's open and someone can get in to swipe something, the cabin steward would be the first one to get the blame, and certainly should get some of it for leaving the door open, whether or not he took the item.

I am not saying the door was propped open in this case (although it may have been at come point--we don't know).

IMO, no cabin steward should be in a cabin cleaning it, the bathroom and verandah with the door closed. A steward should always leave the door open while (s)he is inside.

BTW....... Room Service stewards do not have passkeys and cabin stewards, under most circumstances, are not permitted to let room service stewards enter if the guests are not present.

There are fewer people than you think that have 'master' pass keys. Yes, a certain number but they only those who truly need them.

Judy, I have often observed several doors left open while a room steward is only inside one of the cabins. He can't see what is going on in some of the other cabins he services when he leaves the doors open. Sometimes they are propped a bit, and sometimes open a lot. They really shouldn't do this.

Keep in mind the stewards work in pairs.

One steward may be washing the bathroom and walking by the corridor, you may not see them. The other steward could be three steps away at their supply station and could appear at any moment or could well be in the cabin and you don't see as you quickly pass by the open door.

In the end, it's the same old story IMO

We must take some personal responsibility for ourselves.

If you have an expensive diamond ring, camera, valuable whatever...... lock it up.

Shouldn't responsible adults be answerable for securing their valuables?

I have left my netbook, often plugged in and charging, on the countertop in our cabin for more than 30 cruises since I have owned it and never had a problem. We have never left a gold watch sitting on the counter. If it isn't there, it cannot 'accidentally' go missing.

We have safes. Use them.

JMO.....

Edited by sail7seas

...why do people on here doubt that simple THEFT on a ship can occur? I am on your side...I have no doubt your item was stolen..
Few are doubting that a theft occurred, but many (including me) are doubting it was the cabin steward.

Rapes by crew members, assaults by crew members, date rape drugs used on passengers by crew members,unsolved disappearances of passengers, murders on cruise ships...these all occur on cruises...why do people on here doubt that simple THEFT on a ship can occur? I am on your side...I have no doubt your item was stolen..

I totally agree. Cabin stewards, as well as other cruise line employees are just as capable as stealing as anyone else. Plus, they certainly have more opportunity.

On the last evening of one our cruises, we found $300 and keys in our safe. My DH immediately brought both to the front desk We wonder if both were ever forwarded to the folks who had our cabin on the previous cruise.

I totally agree. Cabin stewards, as well as other cruise line employees are just as capable as stealing as anyone else. Plus, they certainly have more opportunity.
Capable yes, opportunity yes, but the odds of getting caught (especially after a second time) and being fired and put off the ship in some remote place are simply too high for a cabin steward to take that chance. IMO.

We had a video camera stolen when we foolishly left it on a table to get up to dance on a HA cruise. We are sure it was a passenger. I always assumed everything is safe in the room as I trust the stewards completely. However thanks to you I have learned to be careful before we sail to keep everything put away - I never thought about all the open doors and people who are just on the ship briefly. CC is such a good resource.

We filed the report right when we reported the missing item.

Glad you've done the necessary paperwork and hope your item is returned to you.

I had a thought...agree with those who think it more likely to be a guest than the steward who values his job..

When I cleaned out my dad's room at the nursing home, I found an assortment of things that didn't belong to him. He'd never had done that before having severe memory problems, but apparently did at the end of his life. Could have been a real thief....or maybe an elderly person collecting things that look interesting. If that's the case, it might turn up somewhere.

One time, and this was on Carnival many years back, I accidently left the room safe open when we left for dinner (what a dumb move that was on my part!). The safe had cash, credit cards, travelers checks, and jewelry in it. When we came back later that evening, our cabin had been tidied up and the bed linens turned down as usual with the chocolates and towel animal in place, so I know the cabin stewards had been in there. Nothing was touched. I was shocked. In fact I was overwhelmed. I thanked the Lord for looking out after us and for the honesty and integrity of the cabin steward(s). I know there must be one dishonest steward out there somewhere, but I would say that 99.9% of them are good people and would not steal from anyone. The passengers are another story.......a friend of mine was on a transatlantic cruise (I don't know which line) back to the States after a land tour of Italy that we shared together. She accidently left her camera on a chair at the pool and when she came back it was gone. She was 99% sure it was another passenger that walked off with it. She felt stupid for accidently leaving it there, but it happened and she lost all her pictures she had taken in Italy. Those memories will remain memories and she will never have those precious photos. I felt bad for her.....

Now as for Italy, I accidently left a pair of gold earrings in an ashtray in the room in a very nice hotel in Tuscany. The maid(s) must have taken those, they were never recovered. And yes, I know that is where I put them the night before and we left in early AM and I know I forgot to lock them up. So hotel maids are another story. It is why I tip hotel maids in the hope that it keeps them honest and they leave your stuff alone.

JMHO.

Edited by Irish Eyes Are Sailing

It appears this theft could have happened during the life-boat drill when the vast majority of the crew members were on life-boat drill duty, and non-ship personnel could be roaming the unattended hallways before the ship's departure.

We had a video camera stolen when we foolishly left it on a table to get up to dance on a HA cruise. We are sure it was a passenger. I always assumed everything is safe in the room as I trust the stewards completely. However thanks to you I have learned to be careful before we sail to keep everything put away - I never thought about all the open doors and people who are just on the ship briefly. CC is such a good resource.

We were tucked around the corner in a cabin next to the aft wrap...so it's unlikely that anyone would go in our room if the door were left open. However, many times, morning and evening, we would walk by doors that the stewards had open while cleaning...and anyone could go in and help themselves if they were so inclined. I leave things on the desk all the time...my notepad, cameras, etc. I have never doubted the honesty of any of our cabin stewards but will put things out of sight from now on...from light-fingered passengers!

I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't think of it while on board...and with so many doors being left open.

It appears this theft could have happened during the life-boat drill when the vast majority of the crew members were on life-boat drill duty, and non-ship personnel could be roaming the unattended hallways before the ship's departure.

What do you mean by "non-ship personnel"?

What do you mean by "non-ship personnel"?

Before departure when the life boat drill is being conducted, who does have access to come onboard?

I can think of the possibility of shore agents, local customs/immigration people, etc In India we had at least 70 "customs/immigration people onboard" along with who knows how many Indian military personnel before we could depart the ship.

Maybe someone has better data on who can still be on the ship as non-ship's personnel before departure that would be free to roam, mainly unobserved the hallways during the life boat drill.

Just one of the possibilities to consider besides the cabin stewards or fellow passengers. The life boat drill is an odd time for both passengers and crew to be pre-occupied elsewhere - allowing a crime of opportunity to take place. Do those non-ship's personnel have access to all locations on the ship for security and inspection purposes?

I don't know the answers here - just speculating about possibilities.

Edited by OlsSalt

First the OP's item goes missing. She gets no satisfaction from the ship's front desk and is insulted by a poor choice of words by the front office rep.

She comes here with her sad story and we give a big welcome!

We again insult her by asking if she looked every where when she said that she and her husband turned the cabin inside out looking for the speaker, and then question her credibility.

Only she was there and heard what was said. (I, by the way, had a ship employee look me straight in the eye and lie to me).

I guess we have seen the last of her.

Flame all you want. You people are a hard bunch!

I wouldn't come back either.

Show a little kindness please.

Terri

First the OP's item goes missing. She gets no satisfaction from the ship's front desk and is insulted by a poor choice of words by the front office rep.

She comes here with her sad story and we give a big welcome!

We again insult her by asking if she looked every where when she said that she and her husband turned the cabin inside out looking for the speaker, and then question her credibility.

Only she was there and heard what was said. (I, by the way, had a ship employee look me straight in the eye and lie to me).

I guess we have seen the last of her.

Flame all you want. You people are a hard bunch!

I wouldn't come back either.

Show a little kindness please.

Terri

Yes, the front desk can leave something to be desired but I think they are smart enough to not call someone old:rolleyes:. I was born at night, but not last night. If you choose to believe that that's your choice.