Theft on Nieuw Amsterdam

Travel_2013

***snip***

I say stole because I know where it was left and we searched the whole cabin 5 times. It was a Jawbone bluetooth speaker and it was in a velvet pouch, so it may have looked to someone as a jewellery box. My husband left it on the make up table beside the ice bucket when we had to go to the safety drill. After we came back from dinner, the bed was made up, so clearly the cabin stewart was there, but oddly the dirty dishes from my afternoon snack were still on the coffee table. Why would he/she not clean those? Perhaps forgot because he was trying to leave the cabin in a hurry? ***snip***

Forgive me if someone else has already asked this question (I did not read all 98 responses), I've seen the OP say several times that they are "not blaming anyone". This quote pulled from the original post CLEARLY blames the cabin steward.

I am sorry they lost something - probably had something stolen from them. They clearly blame the cabin steward, so why keep saying they aren't blaming anyone?

Forgive me if someone else has already asked this question (I did not read all 98 responses), I've seen the OP say several times that they are "not blaming anyone". This quote pulled from the original post CLEARLY blames the cabin steward.

I am sorry they lost something - probably had something stolen from them. They clearly blame the cabin steward, so why keep saying they aren't blaming anyone?

My reading was the OP obliquely casts suspicions, but only on the cabin stewards.

The discussion is interesting to see who else just might have sticky fingers on any cruise ship: when, where, who, how and why.

Those crimes exist everywhere, are you telling us to stay home?

Not at all. I am saying that it is foolish to trust a cabin steward/crew member 100% just because he is a cabin steward/crew member. As one poster said: "I'm sure there are some slippery fingers when things are left around the ship. but never by the cabin stewards. They're too smart to do that." Smarter than ship Captains? Captains of major cruise lines have been convicted of child rape/sexual assault on their own ships. Are ship captains just dumber than cabin stewards?

To believe that a cabin steward would never steal is being naive. That being said, I am also aware that the safety ratings for cruises is very high, higher than at most 5 star resorts. Also, after 80 + cruises, I have never had anything stolen or have had anything bad happen to me. But I am still cautious on a cruise ship, just as I am in certain sections of my home state and hometown. I am sure most people are cautious even in their home states and hometowns.

Edited by existentialtraveler

(Content snipped.)

. . . Smarter than ship Captains? Captains of major cruise lines have been convicted of child rape/sexual assault on their own ships. Are ship captains just dumber than cabin stewards?

Really? Captains (plural), not just one?

I'd be very interested if you could post evidence of this. I searched Google and found only one, in 2010.

Edited by celle

Not at all. I am saying that it is foolish to trust a cabin steward/crew member 100% just because he is a cabin steward/crew member. As one poster said: "I'm sure there are some slippery fingers when things are left around the ship. but never by the cabin stewards. They're too smart to do that." Smarter than ship Captains? Captains of major cruise lines have been convicted of child rape/sexual assault on their own ships. Are ship captains just dumber than cabin stewards?

To believe that a cabin steward would never steal is being naive. That being said, I am also aware that the safety ratings for cruises is very high, higher than at most 5 star resorts. Also, after 80 + cruises, I have never had anything stolen or have had anything bad happen to me. But I am still cautious on a cruise ship, just as I am in certain sections of my home state and hometown. I am sure most people are cautious even in their home states and hometowns.

I'm sure most people don't throw caution to the wind. That said when something doesn't smell right, it usually isn't. Why is the OP without question but everyone else is suspect.

It appears this theft could have happened during the life-boat drill when the vast majority of the crew members were on life-boat drill duty, and non-ship personnel could be roaming the unattended hallways before the ship's departure.
Most of the cabin stewards are not involved in the drill, except possibly to check cabins for people trying to duck it. The Signature ships have 18 lifeboats with usually one crew at each, possibly two, and most of them are not cabin stewards. Maybe none are.

Most of the cabin stewards are not involved in the drill, except possibly to check cabins for people trying to duck it. The Signature ships have 18 lifeboats with usually one crew at each, possibly two, and most of them are not cabin stewards. Maybe none are.

There are the hallway monitors on each deck at each staircase where one sees all sorts of crew members as traffic directors. Good question - what does happen to the rest of the ship when a life-boat drill takes place considering I assume there are crew duties both front of the house and back of the house during this type of drill. They have to get themselves off too in a real emergency, while working around the passenger needs at the same time.

I believe a lot of the crew are bringing up the luggage and delivering it to the cabins at the time of the muster.

Luggage delivery: Another opportunity for someone with ill intent to enter the cabins.

Take-away advice: be particularly careful leaving any valuable or highly fence-able unattended in your cabin during this safety drill time between embarkation and departure.

There are the hallway monitors on each deck at each staircase where one sees all sorts of crew members as traffic directors. Good question - what does happen to the rest of the ship when a life-boat drill takes place considering I assume there are crew duties both front of the house and back of the house during this type of drill. They have to get themselves off too in a real emergency, while working around the passenger needs at the same time.
Two cabin stewards per 30 (or so) cabins means there are approximately 75 of them on a Signature ship. If there is one traffic director at each elevator bank on 9 decks, and cabin stewards were used for all of them, there are still about 50 stewards that are not needed. They, and most of the crew, are going about their normal duties. They get their own drills, which are more stringent than the Passenger Drill, because they have to learn how to handle us! Edited by jtl513

The discussion on this thread is about theft. A number of posts have been removed because they are not discussing the topic.

Please remember our guidelines.

Quoting:

"Also disrupting to the Community is Thread hijacking which is the act of trying to steer a web forum discussion thread off topic by discussing a subject entirely unrelated to the original topic...

We realize that in some instances, this happens naturally.

Please be considerate of your fellow members; posting off topic within a discussion -- 'hijacking' -- is boring and only wastes everyone's time. Think twice and, for some of you, even three times before posting off topic in an existing discussion..."

I'm with you and if you look back some months, you will see posters on this forum saying that a ship is like a town and to treat it as such (think the posts were about sexual assaults?)

While no-one is saying that the cabin crew definitely stole the speakers, it is a possibility, just as it is possible for the thief to be a fellow passenger or ship's visitors. It's no good saying that crew wouldn't steal, that they value their jobs too much, etc , we have all just seen the Youtube video of a crew member who DID steal. There's good and bad everywhere and crew do move from line to line.

As for customer service - how many times have we all been appalled by some of the comments we've seen here about reception staff - some beyond belief. I don't see any reason for OP to lie or make this up. Just as I wouldn't believe with my own eyes if I hadn't seen it, another poster asking if they were sure they packed the item? Jeez. So if it's implied here then it is a possibility that the comment made at reception is also true.

Question? Was it left on the silver tray that the ice bucket is on? I have left thing there as I was in a hurry and the cabin steward puts them away for me. I would have asked if the steward had seen it , as sometimes they put things in the strangest places. In over my 600 days on a Holland America ship I have never had anything stolen by passenger or crew.

I wasn't going to post on this thread, but I am rather concerned about all the people who firmly believe no crew member would steal, or otherwise do something they should not. There are "good" and "bad" people everywhere, including onboard a ship, whether it be passengers or crew members. A few years ago on the Zaandam, I caught our two room stewards doing something they should not when I returned to our cabin for something right after leaving for dinner. One was possibly keeping "look out" but had been distracted by passengers engaging him in conversation in the hallway, and I came around the corner from the elevator lobby, and caught the other one going through the drawers, and with the tip money from a drawer in his hand. There was very quick and very ashamed movement and rapid explanations that made no sense. I was mortified and not sure what to do, but yes I did report it to the front desk, and we had a change in stewards. I don't know what happened to them, I simply submitted an incident report and left it at that. But I certainly did not like the fact that my clothing had been rummaged through.

So while it's a sad comment on our times, you cannot be trusting of all crew just because you think they wouldn't do something like that. I never leave even a few dollar bills anywhere but the safe.

This is very true.

Just sayin': I've been on over 100 cruises and never (knowingly) had a dishonest cabin/dining room steward. With that being said I'd be naive to think 100% of all ship's employees are honest. Also, there are more employees on the ship than just the room steward who has a pass key (card) that can open your room. You hear stories about "crimes on cruise ships by the ship's employees" all the time.

P.S. I sure hope all the Nieuw Amsterdam employees are honest, I'll be on it for two weeks this February.:p

Rather than the blanket denials of some here, your take is a more realistic view .

I'll just say

If the OP said the item was missing, then that's exactly what happened, and therfore obviously somebody took it ... To just recount one's personal past history of honest encounters with HAL employees , in no way discounts the probablity of one bad apple on the OP's cruise. As stated, there are many, many staff with pass keys onboard beside the cabin steward, and to just dismiss the OP's theft based on loyality to HAL as many here have, is insulting IMO

Love HAL, but not blinded by it

Srpilo

Edited by srpilo

I appreciate that the OP has raised awareness of an unfortunate incident, and they should be respected for sharing the details on this forum.

To answer the OP's question of "has this ever happened to you?", well, I must have some bad luck because it HAS, and more than once. :( Without going into a lot of detail, let me preface this by saying that I am still "fairly" young, and extremely organized in the cabin (so let's rule out that these missing items were "misplaced", because they were NOT!) These incidents happened on various cruise lines, all were comparable to HAL.

1st incident: DH's size 13 gym shoes missing from closet on day three. Discussed with steward, searched for days, never located.

2nd incident: Expensive black bra missing from drawer. Worn once on formal night (and yes, I put it back after wearing). Discussed with steward, (who searched laundry, which I never used) item never located.

3rd incident: Purchased 4 inexpensive bracelets for gifts in St Thomas. Still wrapped in store bag, placed in desk drawer. Searched cabin repeatedly. Discussed with steward (who was female). Item never located.

What am I to conclude? I really don't know. :confused: BUT, I do empathize, sympathize, and fully understand what the OP has experienced. :(

I wasn't going to post on this thread, but I am rather concerned about all the people who firmly believe no crew member would steal, or otherwise do something they should not. There are "good" and "bad" people everywhere, including onboard a ship, whether it be passengers or crew members. A few years ago on the Zaandam, I caught our two room stewards doing something they should not when I returned to our cabin for something right after leaving for dinner. One was possibly keeping "look out" but had been distracted by passengers engaging him in conversation in the hallway, and I came around the corner from the elevator lobby, and caught the other one going through the drawers, and with the tip money from a drawer in his hand. There was very quick and very ashamed movement and rapid explanations that made no sense. I was mortified and not sure what to do, but yes I did report it to the front desk, and we had a change in stewards. I don't know what happened to them, I simply submitted an incident report and left it at that. But I certainly did not like the fact that my clothing had been rummaged through.

So while it's a sad comment on our times, you cannot be trusting of all crew just because you think they wouldn't do something like that. I never leave even a few dollar bills anywhere but the safe.

Thanks for stating what your experience was. I'm surprised that happened on a HAL ship. I hope they sent them packing. You have credibility here. It's hard to establish that in someone else when they come up accusing from the get go IMO.

….. These incidents happened on various cruise lines, all were comparable to HAL.

…….

What am I to conclude? I really don't know. :confused: BUT, I do empathize, sympathize, and fully understand what the OP has experienced. :(

I wonder if this is more of a problem on the larger ships that make the entire experience feel a little more anonymous, than the smaller HAL ships. Looks like your really bad string of events happened on larger ships. Good warnings. Yes, it can happen. Otherwise why do we even have safes in the room.

That would be more than upsetting. It would have really shaken me up.

Startwin, that is a very sobering report.

OP, I believe you that your item went missing. I also believe your report about the Front Desk's response. Sad but true -- I've been lied to often enough on HAL ships that I can see someone saying something along the lines of "Maybe you didn't have it" or "Maybe you just can't see it".

Lots of lessons in this thread. Important lessons.

I had a pair of capris with labels still attached go missing on a cruise (not HAL) in the past year and was sure that I had hung them up; but thought well maybe I left them at home. Thought that I was going crazy. I noticed the cabin steward was nervous around me but I never put two and two together because like several people on this thread I thought his job was like gold and he would never take anything. When I got home...no capris. Thinking back I am almost positive it was the steward. I did not report it. They were designer but I bought them on sale. I figure he saw the labels and took them as a new gift for his wife or girlfriend or mother. Should I have reported it? Probably but i did not want him to loose his job over a pair of capris. In hindsight not sure that I did the right thing.

Edited by Cancun01

That would be more than upsetting. It would have really shaken me up.

Yes, it really did, and I felt violated. I will always remember his face because he tried to hug me.:( I was actually shaking when I returned to the MDR, and after talking it over with my DH I reported it to the front desk. I never reported it on here before because of the continual defending of HAL crews - who are 99.9% wonderful - but you have to accept that there is always "one bad apple" and be on your guard.