Miami Seafood!

wallie5446

There is a stickie for Ft Lauderdale resturants, we used it last yr to find the Rustic Inn for out of this world stone crab. Now this Fri we are at the Hyatt Regency in Miami and want stone crab again! We had Area 31 at the Epic Hotel recommended, called, they will have them. Any other ideas for great stone crab in Miami by the port?

Thanks, EW

Thanks Keith, but we have a Truluck's here in Dallas, very good, but really looking for the flavor of Miami place, like the Rustic Inn.

Absolutely Montys either in Coconut Grove or the one in South Beach. Both are waterfront, South Beach has better views because you can watch the sun set.

Skip Joes Stone Crabs.

Just read the reviews on Trip Advisor and Joes is rated way above Monty's.

Joes is rated way about Monty's because the food is better there. The food at Monty's is just okay. They do have great stone crabs however. Not as thrilled about their mustard sauce.

There is a stickie for Ft Lauderdale resturants, we used it last yr to find the Rustic Inn for out of this world stone crab. Now this Fri we are at the Hyatt Regency in Miami and want stone crab again! We had Area 31 at the Epic Hotel recommended, called, they will have them. Any other ideas for great stone crab in Miami by the port?

Thanks, EW

Area 31 is a great restaurant and has great views. It's really nice. If you go their website you will be able to see the menu.

I personally love the stone crabs at My Ceviche. It's not a restaurant per see, you order your food at the counter and sit. They'll bring it out to you when you're done. The food is fresh and always wonderful. They do the stone crabs by the pound and usually will have 4 different sizes. The mediums (6-7 per pound) tend to run around $30. If you're looking simply for stone crabs, it's a great place to hit for that.

The stone crabs are great at Monty's as are the drinks, I'm just not a big fan of the rest of their food. If you do go here, make sure to try one of their painkillers! Friday nights at the Coconut Grove location will get busy. They have a set up outside on Fridays where you pay cash grab stone crabs at $3 per, shrimp, and a few other items. There is usually live music too. Lots of fun.

Joes is rated way about Monty's because the food is better there. The food at Monty's is just okay. They do have great stone crabs however. Not as thrilled about their mustard sauce.

Rated by who? Trip Advisor?

You'll find locals at Montys and the tourists at Joes.

My family is long time local Miami and we stopped eating at Joes in the 1980s and they've relied way too long on their reputation and not their food.

Rated by who? Trip Advisor?

You'll find locals at Montys and the tourists at Joes.

My family is long time local Miami and we stopped eating at Joes in the 1980s and they've relied way too long on their reputation and not their food.

Well, I guess all the locals (born and raised here) that I was with last night discussing stone crabs and the local restaurants have a bit of a different opinion that you do. And while I love the atmosphere at Monty's and the cocktails, the rest of the food at the Coconut Grove one isn't what brings me back. If I judged it solely on their food, I would have only gone once.

That's what is great, there are always choices for everyone and everyone is entitled to their own opinions!

Well, I guess all the locals (born and raised here) that I was with last night discussing stone crabs and the local restaurants have a bit of a different opinion that you do. And while I love the atmosphere at Monty's and the cocktails, the rest of the food at the Coconut Grove one isn't what brings me back. If I judged it solely on their food, I would have only gone once.

That's what is great, there are always choices for everyone and everyone is entitled to their own opinions!

What are you doing living in Brickell if you were born and raised there?

The stone crabs at Joes are the exact same as the ones at Montys just more expensive.

The stone crabs at Joes are the exact same as the ones at Montys just more expensive.

and the same ones you can get at Publix!

All stone crab arrives at rest's and stores frozen cuz it does not keep (just like king and snow and blue)

Remember Joe's has said they don't worry about today's supply cuz they have plenty in the freezer! (they mail order all year round .. seasonal closure is just a promotion)

Wanna feel important becuz you were snubbed by a Mart'd? Go to Joe's

Want stone crab at a good price? Find a decent seafood store ... or in a pinch, go to a large Publix store

Middle road? Almost ANY decent rest'r in Miami is going to have stone crab as an app'tiser this time of the year . . .

Joe's: pay for the reputation

Monty's on the beach: pay for the view

Monty's in the Grove: it's still open? (my fav' place in the 80's and 90's)

Publix stop: several pounds of claws, bottle of mustard and one of mayo ... a hammer or big rock. 6 of PBR . . . . go find a picnic table . . .

pick your path

Monty's in the Grove: it's still open? (my fav' place in the 80's and 90's)

Some big whig developer is trying to buy up all the land and develop the waterfront Grove and there is a big movement to stop them. I believe Montys is one of the places in danger.

What are you doing living in Brickell if you were born and raised there?

The locals that I was with who were born and raised here, not me!

I live on both Brickell Ave and in Naples. Brickell, because it's an incredible place, especially if you work on Brickell Ave.

I appreciate your views, I appreciate the fact that you feel Miami is corrupt and shady at this point in your life and you moved out of the area.

Only on here to try and help others not to debate you. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Honestly, out of both restaurants, I don't care to eat at either. I know the food at Monty's for the most part is Sysco and therefore don't care for it but will go on Friday nights for their stone crab specials and a couple of painkiller cocktails.

My choice for stone crabs is Trulucks and I much prefer the one in Naples over Miami or grabbing it at My Ceviche.

Right now the majority of the restaurants that will serve seafood have stone crabs on their menus as appetizers. I've seen it on the menus at Wolfgang Steakhouse, Edge, River Oyster and one other just this week. Some how I don't think Perricones will have it tonight as a special, but who knows!

Thanks Carolyn!

Dallas is over run with diff resturants too, so we are aware of all the fluff and stuff, Trulucks was started here. Which is why we asked here on CC about the Miami scene. We know that this time of year, everybody and their spinoff will have Stone Crabs, we want to go to dinner, not a debate on bad government, but to find a couple of different, off the beaten path, out of the way places that we wont see in Texas. The Rustic Inn was very funkie and the wife liked everything about it. If there is nothing like that in Miami, so be it.

Thanks again

Thanks Carolyn!

Dallas is over run with diff resturants too, so we are aware of all the fluff and stuff, Trulucks was started here. Which is why we asked here on CC about the Miami scene. We know that this time of year, everybody and their spinoff will have Stone Crabs, we want to go to dinner, not a debate on bad government, but to find a couple of different, off the beaten path, out of the way places that we wont see in Texas. The Rustic Inn was very funkie and the wife liked everything about it. If there is nothing like that in Miami, so be it.

Thanks again

You're welcome.

The Monty's in Coconut Grove is funky. All outside picnic style tables with a large thatched roof. It is a great place to get the stone crabs. On Friday nights it does get very crowded and parking can be difficult, though they will always have valet. If you want seafood only, it's a great spot to go to. I just have never had much luck with the rest of the food here. It may have the look that you are going for.

The Area 31 that you discussed is a beautiful restaurant and everyone I know does really enjoy eating there.

The River Oyster is always one of my favorites. It's without a doubt a local place and the chefs are fantastic. The chef also owns Oak Tavern in the design district. I love the food here, always really enjoy it. I spend way too much time here! Actually going to happy hour tonight with one of the bartenders from here. If you like oysters, they have about 8 different kinds every day and during happy hour they are 1/2 off.

Scotty's Landing is a pretty cool place. They are always filled with locals. The place is here now but their lease is up and looks like they will be torn down. Extremely casual. They also have stone crabs on their menu. Scotty's is within waking distance along the docks to Monty's in Coconut Grove.

Tarpon Bend in Coral Gables is a fun place. Not sure whether or not they have stone crabs at this point.

My ceviche is really casual but I must say that the stone crabs here are wonderful. It's not a fancy night out by any means but the prices for stone crabs are great. I have enjoyed everything I have tried. My son makes me go here constantly when he is visiting Miami.

Today they have mediums in stock, 1 lb mediums which is 6-7 is running $30.45 and 1 lb large which is 4-5 claws is $42.95.

It's a great place to stop and have stone crabs and a cold beer before you go to a nicer place.

http://myceviche.com/

I know that friends eat at Garcia's Seafood and I've heard others talk about it. They're right on the Miami river. I've never personally eaten there but maybe others could weigh in on their experiences.

Now that is a very helpful post! The wifester is really thinking about My Ceviche now and after talking to someone at the River, looking at going there when we get back!

Thanks bunches Carolyn!

Edited by wallie5446

Miami native here, born and raised, and still Garcia's is my favorite place for fresh seafood. Fish is fresh (caught daily by their own fishing boats), there is a nice view, and it is reasonably priced. It's a bit of a hidden gem, but well worth the trek to get there. However, since I am allergic to shellfish (shrimp, crab, and lobster), I cannot comment on the stone crabs, but the rest of their seafood is great.

Edited by brunello22