Just off the Royal -- my thoughts

Kruzkrazy

We were on this ship "Bears" were not too bothersome for us other than they took over the Retreat pool the whole cruise....No room for anyone else...found this a little bothersome... I would have liked to use it at some point during the cruise.... If I was aware I would have rescheduled to a different day also... Other than that cruise was great

We were on this ship "Bears" were not too bothersome for us other than they took over the Retreat pool the whole cruise....No room for anyone else...found this a little bothersome... I would have liked to use it at some point during the cruise.... If I was aware I would have rescheduled to a different day also... Other than that cruise was great

They are booked on the 11/16/14 Emerald cruise. They always sail in November on Princess.

For another, tho this is slightly off-topic, DW was a bit put-out that there were no giveaway souvenirs for the Royal's maiden appearance on this side of the pond. In days of yore, a new ship would give out souvenir ashtrays, shot glasses and the like. You can still get them in the shops, but they'll cost you.

Per posters on the actual maiden voyage, there was no souvenir then either.

Spindrift, I find it a little questionable when the size of toiletries is observed in an "honest" review as well as expecting freebies and being nickeled and dimed by a "elite" passenger....Meatloaf was never found in the main dining room in the past...it is an inexpensive meal that could be found in the buffet...nothing wrong with meatloaf, I enjoy it at home just like I enjoy an occasional Manwich sandwich but I would not expect it to be served in the dining room..I did not question the actions of the posters complaining but it was presented to me by my DH and I thought it might be a valid question. I would like to know from Princess how many complainers have asked for a refund or on board credit?

Spindrift, I find it a little questionable when the size of toiletries is observed in an "honest" review as well as expecting freebies and being nickeled and dimed by a "elite" passenger....Meatloaf was never found in the main dining room in the past...it is an inexpensive meal that could be found in the buffet...nothing wrong with meatloaf, I enjoy it at home just like I enjoy an occasional Manwich sandwich but I would not expect it to be served in the dining room..I did not question the actions of the posters complaining but it was presented to me by my DH and I thought it might be a valid question. I would like to know from Princess how many complainers have asked for a refund or on board credit?

Meatloaf has been on the menu for several years (I don't remember the exact category, home style cuisine (?) ). As I like 'simple' food I tried it and immediately sent it back. It was 'mushy', is the only way I could describe it. How do you mess up meatloaf?

Your points are all valid and thanks for posting. I do have to offer one thought on the bday thing (and happy belated to your wife!). They missed DH's bday celebration. I stopped by the PSD at 5:30pm to mention it. At 6pm our waiter was wishing DH a happy birthday; by 7pm balloons were on our cabin door. I was amazed at the very quick response. So, they CAN do it; sorry they didn't for you!

I haven't been on the ship as yet and therefore have no views about her but in defense of the review - I remember when they added meatloaf and lots of people on here (including me) thought it wasn't really appropriate for a fine dining experience. I've learned to ignore it on the menu since the things I like are still there.

As far as noticing that the soap is smaller - you DO kind of notice those things whether you want to or not. The soaps are replaced when they get too small so you have what you need but the smaller size probably generates less waste.

It reminds me of the size of the souffles. Somewhere in the last couple of years they became half the size they used to be. My daughter, the pastry chef, says they cook more quickly this way but for me it means less calories. I noticed when it happened and I'm sure it was done as cost cutting but I happen to like it.

If I noted it in a review would I be accused of looking for an OBC? I certainly hope not. One notices changes and it's only human to comment.

HOWEVER (and this is a big one to me) if I get on the ship and am unable to use my expensive aft balcony because it's constantly covered in soot I would certainly expect some compensation!

I think most of the reviews are just trying to give those of us who begged for them an idea of what this new ship is like - the good AND the bad.

I, for one, appreciate both!

if I get on the ship and am unable to use my expensive aft balcony because it's constantly covered in soot I would certainly expect some compensation!

I think most of the reviews are just trying to give those of us who begged for them an idea of what this new ship is like - the good AND the bad.

Ditto for me!;)

I want to hear it all. The good, the bad and the ugly and I can make my own decision.

Mike:)

Thanks so much for your opinion as all opinions are welcomed. I think the nickel diming is cruise fleet wide not just royal princess and certainly not just Princess Cruisline. The cruise industry has had to cut back somewhere while still providing excellent service to it's clients.

Compared to years ago the special feeling is no longer there...food has been scaled back (ex: meatloaf in the dining room?) and I am sure they (the cruise lines)are trying to make up the cost of inflation while still providing an affordable all inclusive vacation.

You can do 7 day cruises for $499.00! Where else can you travel to multiple foreign lands for that price for an all inclusive vacation?

I know the cuts are there and I go knowing they will try to get me to break out my wallet for souvineers, coca cola cards, specialty ice cream, specialty coffee's, specialty dining, Spa treatments (already pre-booked for a couples massage,,,knowing the price ahead of time) and Bingos but I go knowing what to expect and it is my option to partake or not.

As an elite member too, I promise to give an honest review of the ship when I sail her on Dec. 1st. I do not wish to go off on a tangent but I find sailing on almost any cruise line to be a lifetime experience to enjoy and not one to ever regret. My Mother always said if you cannot afford to go away, stay home and save till you can so you can enjoy it without worrying about spending money. Words of wisdom I like to live by.

After reading so many not so pleasant reviews I have been asked by a few people if the people who complain are trying to get on board credits from Princess? I said I cannot answer that but it is a valid question.

Don't think it is a valid question at all. Everyone s entitled to their own views on how they found their cruise experience and it does not mean they are out to get any obc from Princess!

Thanks for your review. I was on the TA and the 5 day Caribbean cruise on the Royal, so here are some of my thoughts.

Toilet paper location, no biggy for me at all

Aft on deck 16 area was fantastic. My fav area to sit with a cocktail during sailaway.

From what I understand ALL new ships will no longer have a full promenade deck because of what you stated. You can thank the Costa accident for that. Lifeboats need to be accessible no matter what.

I had a regular cabin and did not notice it being smaller at all except the balcony.

BTW the ship does have bigger balconys if you know where to book. For instance those under the skywalk that angle out are larger. Those in the aft(deluxe balcony) are huge but they have a soot problem that I'm sure will be resolved.

Deck 7 areas with loungers was very nice but I did see chair hogs often.

Now my negatives:

Missed explorers lounge and wish that would be brought back.

Vista lounge had too many chairs in them making it too crowded.

No fold down tables in the Princess theater makes it less likely for you to order a drink.

They need a separator between the Crown grill and Wheelhouse.

Princess live seems to be a wasted space. Also a waste was the chocolate and flowers gift shop. Rarely saw anyone in it.

They need to improve the service in Alfredo's, but loved the pizza.

Chefs table was stunning and perfect except the price should be $75.

Wine makers dinner was great and have no complaints.

Finally, all in all I LOVED this ship and would sail on her again.

Edited by timetravler

From what I understand ALL new ships will no longer have a full promenade deck because of what you stated. You can thank the Costa accident for that.

The Royal design was fixed before the Costa Concordia incident, so that tragedy had no influence on the design of the Royal's promenade deck.

Edited by caribill

From what I understand ALL new ships will no longer have a full promenade deck because of what you stated. You can thank the Costa accident for that. Lifeboats need to be accessible no matter what.

Except ... Didn't NCL manage to find a way to maintain the full promenade:confused:

I haven't been on the ship as yet and therefore have no views about her but in defense of the review - I remember when they added meatloaf and lots of people on here (including me) thought it wasn't really appropriate for a fine dining experience. I've learned to ignore it on the menu since the things I like are still there.

As far as noticing that the soap is smaller - you DO kind of notice those things whether you want to or not. The soaps are replaced when they get too small so you have what you need but the smaller size probably generates less waste.

It reminds me of the size of the souffles. Somewhere in the last couple of years they became half the size they used to be. My daughter, the pastry chef, says they cook more quickly this way but for me it means less calories. I noticed when it happened and I'm sure it was done as cost cutting but I happen to like it.

If I noted it in a review would I be accused of looking for an OBC? I certainly hope not. One notices changes and it's only human to comment.

HOWEVER (and this is a big one to me) if I get on the ship and am unable to use my expensive aft balcony because it's constantly covered in soot I would certainly expect some compensation!

It was a big one for me as well:). The soot issue was noticeable and unsettling. The compensation was never thought of or requested (by me). It was an "out of the blue offering" from passenger services.

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

It was a big one for me as well:). The soot issue was noticeable and unsettling. The compensation was never thought of or requested (by me). It was an "out of the blue offering" from passenger services.

Bob

And I hope I'm not being presumptuous when I think I can speak for both of us when I say I'd MUCH prefer there be no soot and I could relax on that balcony as I planned than to get any compensation.

( If I'd wanted a less expensive balcony I would have booked that! :rolleyes: )

Edited by chamima

I was only told that but by whom, I can not remember. We shall see in the future if other new ships have the promenade all around.

I for one rather liked deck 7 outside. The chairs and loungers were a nice touch.

I see so many complaints and now people are talking about compensation, really?

If you didn't like the Royal, your choice. Princess has many ships to choose from. Myself, I choose the itinerary first, then the ship. This was the first time I have ever picked a ship first. I was not disappointed.