Do you ever think back at your cruise review and wonder why you said what you did?

S&S Cruisers 1983

I was thinking back about my very mini review of our Breakaway cruise in September. I was a bit negative about the ship and now I am not sure why. We had a great time. I said I probably would not cruise the Breakaway again. Why did I think that then and not now?

My question is, when you write a review, do you feel that it is best to write it right away or wait a while to kind of absorb the cruise and think a bit longer about what to say? I think if I had waited, it would have been more positive, but is that the right way to do it?

I think if I had waited, it would have been more positive, but is that the right way to do it?

Why not? I think a cruise review should reflect your overall cruise experience, not just the flaws you encountered. Nothing is perfect.

Too many people feel obligated to go on and on about a list of minor issues that really had no impact on their enjoyment of the cruise. I want to hear what someone perceives as a situation needing room for improvement, and if I feel it will impact me, I can plan accordingly, but I want to hear the good stuff too.

Hahaha, no, not all. I do however go back and read my reviews and think "oh my God, I really did that?" I know as I get older and older and "change" my thinking, I do have a good time on a cold stormy winter evening reading a former review about something I did ten years ago...okay...so maybe it was even last year...but I do crack myself up sometimes...I think I write them for myself than for anyone else. There is a review here and there that when I go back to read I bore myself...and do not finish reading it..too long! LOL...my next review will be something like, "I went on the Breakaway. I had fun. Fun fun fun. The End."

coka:D

Edited by coka

Nice post!

funny thing is I went back to the reviews earlier today to see what I wrote about my 1st ncl sun cruise. I loved my review. It was reflective of my current attitude. Im a glass half full kinda girl.

I will, however, mention things that I find to be an unavoidable hassle. that way readers can be aware of it.

I do this to with product reviews on different websites.

I have read my own reviews. But I havent found a way to find them without browsing. Its not like it says "reviews" under my profile. Did I miss it? How can I find them easier?

I try to give people useful info as well as info to jog my memory about why I said such a thing in my reviews.

My last cruise was pretty bad, but I didnt nitpick about lack of towel animals. I tried to let people know what I thought was so bad. Exactly why I thought certain food was bad, or which crew members were to be avoided. I also tried to let people know how to avoid the things I thought were bad, and ask certain questions so they dont have the same experience as we did.

I also mentioned shows that were not to be missed, and fun excursions.

To me, a good review is balanced. It cant be all glowing or people will be let down, and it cant be all negative or people will have too low of expectations. You have to give people something to chew on.

Edited by gra2172

I have read my own reviews. But I havent found a way to find them without browsing. Its not like it says "reviews" under my profile. Did I miss it? How can I find them easier?

I always subscribe to my reviews (and other threads I want to keep for information). That way, I can find them easily. :)

If you don't know how to do this:

Open the thread. Click on the drop down menu under 'thread tools', click on subscribe to this thread.

To find all your subscribed threads:

Click on 'quick links' tab (upper right, next to log off )

Scroll to second from the bottom and up pops all your subscribed threads.:D

Edited by pcreek

Very interesting. I don't "review" my review later, maybe I should. I do go over the cruise in my head and read my review several times over about a week before I post it. I personally try not to write a bad or over the top great review. I think the best reviews include the things someone liked and the things that went wrong or they didn't like, or were fixed by the cruise staff - that is very important, the fix. If it was fixed, then make sure you put that in so that others will know how to go about getting a good result.

I don't particularly like the Jade or the Sky, and did include some things in my review of the ships that I didn't like. But I would sail again on them if they are going where I want to go. In fact, I have sailed on the Jade twice. So some negativity is not a total condemnation. I try to avoid the "never again" statements just so I don't have to go back and eat my words:)

Sometimes we make statements in the heat of the moment that if we took a breath and let them percolate we would not say or write. But you make a strong case for writing a review and maybe going back a week or so later to see if you have any changes before posting. Maybe look at those vacation photos and say, well I really did have a good time.

And don't worry, most folks here take all of our reviews with a grain of salt. A review is a personal opinion and can be useful as a guide, but should not influence someone against a ship or a cruiseline.

I will be on the Breakway in May and no bad review will stop me from forming my own opinion.

I was thinking back about my very mini review of our Breakaway cruise in September. I was a bit negative about the ship and now I am not sure why. We had a great time. I said I probably would not cruise the Breakaway again. Why did I think that then and not now?

My question is, when you write a review, do you feel that it is best to write it right away or wait a while to kind of absorb the cruise and think a bit longer about what to say? I think if I had waited, it would have been more positive, but is that the right way to do it?

IMHO, you shouldn't really worry if the review is positive or negative...it should simply be OBJECTIVE. Lay out the facts free from personal bias and emotion and let people take from it what they will.

FWIW...I agree with Bill Cosby: “Is the glass half full, or half empty? It depends on whether you're pouring, or drinking.” ;)

IMHO, you shouldn't really worry if the review is positive or negative...it should simply be OBJECTIVE. Lay out the facts free from personal bias and emotion and let people take from it what they will.

FWIW...I agree with Bill Cosby: “Is the glass half full, or half empty? It depends on whether you're pouring, or drinking.” ;)

I don't know if that's possible for me to do fresh off a cruise. Do you write your reviews right after you get back, or do you wait to soak it all in and then write it?

I don't know if that's possible for me to do fresh off a cruise. Do you write your reviews right after you get back, or do you wait to soak it all in and then write it?

That would depend on the type of review that you're trying to write.

If you are going to write an OBJECTIVE review, the "when" doesn't matter as much. Your review will be based on facts. Facts do not change over time.

If you are aiming for a more SUBJECTIVE review, then the time comes into play. Basically, the longer you wait the more the possibility that personal biases and emotions can cloud the end result.

That would depend on the type of review that you're trying to write.

If you are going to write an OBJECTIVE review, the "when" doesn't matter as much. Your review will be based on facts. Facts do not change over time.

If you are aiming for a more SUBJECTIVE review, then the time comes into play. Basically, the longer you wait the more the possibility that personal biases and emotions can cloud the end result.

Yes, I see what you mean. My brain must be backwards. I feel like if I had waited longer, I could have been more objective.

I have to say that I have never really regretted anything I wrote and I also feel like even if I had waited, nothing would ever change. I write what I see, what I feel, what I experienced...in my own opinion and words. These things will never change.

My last review for NCL was for the Star. The ship was gorgeous and we had the best time on that cruise due to doing some shows we hadn't done before and other things, but yet I did find more wrong with that ship than any other ship I have cruised with NCL. It did NOT make or break my cruise at all. But, it was just something I observed. People on the SAME cruise with me didn't see things I did or experience them. So in no way would I change my mind because it was still my experience. :) I didn't mean anything to be negative, just an observation.

I do very in-depth reviews of not only the ship but where we go in port. There have been places that we have went that everyone recommends and highly loves the place. We however did not like it and will never go back (there are several of these places). But, these things are subjective. I tell MY side of the story and how I felt. I include TONS of pictures for others to see because they say "A picture is worth 1,000 words". I would NEVER discourage anyone not to go to a place just because it's not the place for us. It's subjective. People can read about our experience (for entertainment and to get an idea of the place), but most of all they can see the pictures and judge for themselves if it's the right place for them. That's all I can do. I can not make up someone's mind or tell them if it's "the" place for them. I encourage people to try a place or ship out and form their own opinion. :)

I take reviews with a grain of salt. I view them as a learning experience and decide on my own.

Nope. Not at all. The last NCL review I wrote was on Dawn. It was mostly negative. But I consider the audience, so I try to write my thoughts in either an entertaining way, or such that is not mistakable. I think it worked because I seem to remember only one person not being able to handle it. ;). But no, no regrets in the least.

I like the question. :)

I would have to answer no. I spend a lot of time writing my reviews and go over and over and over them before I push submit.

Thank you. I was kind of afraid to post it.

I really should go over and over what I type like you said. Many times I just type and push submit and probably shouldn't! :o

I have to say that I have never really regretted anything I wrote and I also feel like even if I had waited, nothing would ever change. I write what I see, what I feel, what I experienced...in my own opinion and words. These things will never change.

My last review for NCL was for the Star. The ship was gorgeous and we had the best time on that cruise due to doing some shows we hadn't done before and other things, but yet I did find more wrong with that ship than any other ship I have cruised with NCL. It did NOT make or break my cruise at all. But, it was just something I observed. People on the SAME cruise with me didn't see things I did or experience them. So in no way would I change my mind because it was still my experience. :) I didn't mean anything to be negative, just an observation.

I do very in-depth reviews of not only the ship but where we go in port. There have been places that we have went that everyone recommends and highly loves the place. We however did not like it and will never go back (there are several of these places). But, these things are subjective. I tell MY side of the story and how I felt. I include TONS of pictures for others to see because they say "A picture is worth 1,000 words". I would NEVER discourage anyone not to go to a place just because it's not the place for us. It's subjective. People can read about our experience (for entertainment and to get an idea of the place), but most of all they can see the pictures and judge for themselves if it's the right place for them. That's all I can do. I can not make up someone's mind or tell them if it's "the" place for them. I encourage people to try a place or ship out and form their own opinion. :)

I take reviews with a grain of salt. I view them as a learning experience and decide on my own.

Good points. I will have to think of that next time I attempt to write a review. By the way, I really enjoy reading your reviews. You do seem to put a lot of thought into them.

Nope. Not at all. The last NCL review I wrote was on Dawn. It was mostly negative. But I consider the audience, so I try to write my thoughts in either an entertaining way, or such that is not mistakable. I think it worked because I seem to remember only one person not being able to handle it. ;). But no, no regrets in the least.

That's a good idea! It does make a negative point go down a bit better doesn't it!

I am a glass half full person also, but for some reason on this, my one and only attempt at a review, I was a glass half empty person. Looking back I don't like myself half empty.

I find that your mood when doing your review can skew it a bit. If you are tired and miserable when you get home after a fabulous cruise, your review will have undertones of that mood. If your cruise wasn't perfect, but had some flaws, those will be amplified by your mood when writing about the cruise.

You also should consider that it is human nature to 'forget' crappy things (labor pain for instance :p ). Maybe your cruise wasn't what you expected...now after time, the bad memories faded, but it doesn't mean you didn't experience negative things. They're just not important now. Back then, they were.

Edited by halos

The reviews people give on CC are brilliant. The reviews I have posted are rubbish to be honest :(. I do find reading some reviews that some people are very pernickety. But each to their own I guess but I do love the reviews with loads of pictures and helpful information on / off the ship.

Keep up the reviews :p

Sure sometimes, but usually I am pretty positive or try to word a negative in an acceptable way. I would have to say, this doesn't always work. Not so much with NCL cause I am pretty much a loyalist so my negatives are very minor in most cases. The place I have had trouble is with another line. The loyalists are over the top and any little complaint is often seen as tearing the ship apart. I remember from a class in college abut 200 years ago, the best way to handle negatives is to sandwich them between 2 positives.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I tend to post impressions more than nitpick on things like the thread count of the towels, for example, so talk about how I felt about this show or why I liked the staff or shore excursion and hope it helps others. On occasion I've been too generous and thought maybe I was too gentle but have very much enjoyed all the cruises I've been on so there's far more good than bad.