Royal Princess - TV question

Meanee

Hello.

We are sailing on RP on 12/15/13, and have a question about TVs in a stateroom.

Every now and then we would like to stay in and watch a movie. I usually carry a tablet with HDMI out and a hard drive with TV shows and movies. Setup connects via HDMI. So, do Princess TVs have available HDMI port? Last time we were on a cruise ship, was Carnival Dream, and TVs were pretty old, without any open ports.

Hello.

We are sailing on RP on 12/15/13, and have a question about TVs in a stateroom.

Every now and then we would like to stay in and watch a movie. I usually carry a tablet with HDMI out and a hard drive with TV shows and movies. Setup connects via HDMI. So, do Princess TVs have available HDMI port? Last time we were on a cruise ship, was Carnival Dream, and TVs were pretty old, without any open ports.

Don't know about ports but the Royal has a vast amount of movies on demand.

As said the Royal has a good selection of free on-demand movies & TV shows. As I recall from previous discussions there are ports on the flat panel TV (guessing about 42") however they were not useable. I know that the remote had no function to switch the source nor did the options using the TV's button. A few people tried to do what you like to do but as I recall it wasn't possible.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I have an infrared emitter on my phone with every TV brand IR code known to man, so maybe I should be able to switch them over.

Thank you for the info.

Typically, we do not use on-demand stuff on cruise ships since it's either out of this world expensive, or complete trash (for free). But I will check out their on demand library.

I had the same question, so thanks for asking it.

What app are you using on your phone as I just got a phone with an IR transmitter.

Try searching for "IR Remote" in Play Store. There are few. Free version will let you test it out and control most TVs. Paid version expands a bit more. Try to control it while in port so if anything you can download new codes while still on land's wireless/cell network.

The TVs on Royal Princess are Viewsonic Model VT4236LED. The input button on the front of the TV has been disabled. It would be interesting to see if a universal remote would work, such as a Harmony One. I wish I had brought mine.

I had no trouble watching videos, including several episodes of Breaking Bad I had installed on my Nexus 7 simply by unplugging the ships input HDMI cable and plugging in my HDMI cable.

Edited by billco

As previously stated there are a nice selection of TV shows and movies on demand. I wish the Live TV was better but Passenger Services told us they are working at improving this offer. Two sports channels (ESPN International & ESPN2) not bad if you like soccer 24/7. Only news channels were; MSNBC, CNBC & Fox News. All that these talking heads discussed was Obama Care. Worthless watching those channels. I hope they improve the weather & ship location selections as well.

Here is a picture of the remote.

IMG_5780_zps504fde27.jpg

Typically, we do not use on-demand stuff on cruise ships since it's either out of this world expensive, or complete trash (for free). But I will check out their on demand library.

Earlier this year on RCI it cost $12.95 for an on-demand movie on an old TV & one movie was 25 years old! :eek:

The day after a movie was shown on MUTS it was added to the list of free on-demand movies. They are movies available on DVD or soon to be available & here are some that were on the Royal last month. It's just a few of dozens of available movies that are listed by type & since we rarely go to the movies at home there were many "new" to us & also some older ones we enjoy.

Skyfall, The Great Gatsby, Jack Reacher, The Heat are just a few examples.

Edited by Astro Flyer

The TVs on Royal Princess are Viewsonic Model VT4236LED. The input button on the front of the TV has been disabled. It would be interesting to see if a universal remote would work, such as a Harmony One. I wish I had brought mine.

I had no trouble watching videos, including several episodes of Breaking Bad I had installed on my Nexus 7 simply by unplugging the ships input HDMI cable and plugging in my HDMI cable.

That's pretty good. On Dream, their system was plugged in using Component cables, and used some sort of blocking frame, so you could not disconnect it. If RP uses HDMI for their system, I am good.

Interesting that with such a sophisticated TV system you can't bring up your bill on the screen. You have to do it on your mobile device or get it printed at the customer service desk.

That would be convenient & would be good for me. However I wonder if it would be too difficult for many to use a remote with so few keys to input a password & thus it's not an option.

Earlier this year on RCI it cost $12.95 for an on-demand movie on an old TV & one movie was 25 years old! :eek:

The day after a movie was shown on MUTS it was added to the list of free on-demand movies. They are movies available on DVD or soon to be available & here are some that were on the Royal last month. It's just a few of dozens of available movies that are listed by type & since we rarely go to the movies at home there were many "new" to us & also some older ones we enjoy.

Are you saying that there's a charge for the on demand movies on the Royal?

No. There is not a charge for the on demand movies or TV shows. What was nice about the on demand, if you didn't finish watching a movie because you wanted to go to dinner, or something else, you could turn off the TV and come back later and pick up where you left off. That was a nice feature.

Marty

All of the movies and shows on the RP's TV system are FREE. There's no charge for any movie or TV show. There are hundreds of movies, both recent and classics, in a variety of genres.

Bill;

You were one of the lucky ones. I couldn't get mine to work when I used my HDMI cable I brought with me. Interestingly enough, the input button on both my View a Sonic TV's was not disabled.....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

No charge for anything on the Royal's great TV system...only on RCI.

Edited by Astro Flyer

The TV's with on demand movies is one of the few things that sound like a real improvement on the Royal. Celebrity has that on their newer ships and it is great to watch a movie when you want, pause it, come back, etc., rather than trying to catch the start of movies that are shown at random and often very strange times.

Bill;

You were one of the lucky ones. I couldn't get mine to work when I used my HDMI cable I brought with me. Interestingly enough, the input button on both my View a Sonic TV's was not disabled.....

Bob

Mine worked in two different staterooms (C618 and D730). All I did was disconnect the HDMI cable that was plugged into HDMI 1 and then plug my cable into it. I got a mirror image of whatever was on the screen of my Nexus 7

• 6 months later...
Mine worked in two different staterooms (C618 and D730). All I did was disconnect the HDMI cable that was plugged into HDMI 1 and then plug my cable into it. I got a mirror image of whatever was on the screen of my Nexus 7

Your saying that on the Royal (and possibly Regal) they they feed their signal via an HDMI cable? Was it hard to plug into their input?

In that case I'll be set to go & may even bring along a 90 degree HDMI connector to make things easier to plug in.

• 1 month later...

Bill;

Bob

Has there been any update on using the Royals TV input for video's since this was last posted? I haven't seen to much other info about anyone trying to use their system for their own video's other than this thread. Most other comments have been that there is no way to do it and end there.

Has there been any update on using the Royals TV input for video's since this was last posted? I haven't seen to much other info about anyone trying to use their system for their own video's other than this thread. Most other comments have been that there is no way to do it and end there.
What update could there be? I said I did it with no problem and others say there is no way to do it. Are people supposed to keep posting that they did it while others keep saying there is no way?

What update could there be? I said I did it with no problem and others say there is no way to do it. Are people supposed to keep posting that they did it while others keep saying there is no way?

I though there might be a few others that accessed the TV using your suggestion.

Sorry I bothered you.

I though there might be a few others that accessed the TV using your suggestion.

Sorry I bothered you.

Sorry to be grumpy. All I can add is. I unplugged ships HDMI cable and plugged in mine. Maybe others tried a different input.