First post - please advise me on an Alaskan cruise

zone8grandma

Hello,

I've been reading cruisecritics' forums for a while, but this is my first post.

Husband and I have never cruised on a large boat. (We've traveled extensively, just not on a large ship). As a child, I crossed the Pacific on an ocean liner but that was a long time ago. We did a week long river cruise in China and enjoyed it very much (200 passengers). In our younger days (we're in our 60's) we did a number of "liveaboard" dive trips. We've sailed up part of the Inside Passage on a sailboat a number of years ago. So we're not new to travel or the water, just cruising on a large ship.

We've decided to take an Alaskan cruise next summer. No flight necessary as we live a short drive from Seattle. I don't think we want a round trip as I'd like to do some land exploration on our own before the cruise - especially a ride on the Alaska railroad.

I have a temporary hold on a HAL cruise that seemed perfect.... Until I read the long smoking thread on the HAL forum and HAL's smoking policy gave me pause. We like balconies. When we travel, I always try to select hotels with balconies. We like to sit outside in the mornings and drink coffee and later in the day drink our wine sitting outside. If we were unfortunate enough to have inconsiderate smoking neighbors, it would put a damper on our vacation.

We don't shop, gamble or go to spas. While I like children well enough (being the grandmother of 3), we'd prefer not to be surrounded by them (a Disney cruise is my worst nightmare).

I do hope I have not offended smokers or families. If so, please accept my apologies. Can any of you experienced cruisers offer advice?

Hello,

I've been reading cruisecritics' forums for a while, but this is my first post.

Husband and I have never cruised on a large boat. (We've traveled extensively, just not on a large ship). As a child, I crossed the Pacific on an ocean liner but that was a long time ago. We did a week long river cruise in China and enjoyed it very much (200 passengers). In our younger days (we're in our 60's) we did a number of "liveaboard" dive trips. We've sailed up part of the Inside Passage on a sailboat a number of years ago. So we're not new to travel or the water, just cruising on a large ship.

We've decided to take an Alaskan cruise next summer. No flight necessary as we live a short drive from Seattle. I don't think we want a round trip as I'd like to do some land exploration on our own before the cruise - especially a ride on the Alaska railroad.

I have a temporary hold on a HAL cruise that seemed perfect.... Until I read the long smoking thread on the HAL forum and HAL's smoking policy gave me pause. We like balconies. When we travel, I always try to select hotels with balconies. We like to sit outside in the mornings and drink coffee and later in the day drink our wine sitting outside. If we were unfortunate enough to have inconsiderate smoking neighbors, it would put a damper on our vacation.

We don't shop, gamble or go to spas. While I like children well enough (being the grandmother of 3), we'd prefer not to be surrounded by them (a Disney cruise is my worst nightmare).

I do hope I have not offended smokers or families. If so, please accept my apologies. Can any of you experienced cruisers offer advice?

Not sure what advise you're asking for, but you can find lots of info on Alaska cruising on the Alaska board here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=55

We've done HAL twice to Alaska (1st - roundtrip Vancouver, and 2nd cruise/tour to Yukon and Denali before cruise).

Yes, HAL does currently allow smoking on the verandahs. And, if you get someone who smokes a lot (as we did) you will most likely not be "hanging around" on your own verandah as much as you'd like. On the other hand, the best way to see Alaska on the cruise is outside on the upper decks where you can get the full 360 view, not just a one directional one that you see from your personal verandah.

Just an aside, Disney cruises are not child-filled nightmares. There are lots of adult-only spaces (and DCL enforces their adult-only venues, unlike some other cruiselines).

Disclosure: I smoke. I travel on HAL. We use our balcony sometimes to have a cigarette. For us, it is most often late at night, and occasionally pre-dinner. I'd say we don't have more than 5 cigarettes a day (each) on our balcony.

When reading the HAL board about smoking, be aware that smoking is a hot-button topic. The words that get used in those threads are (to me) so incredibly hurtful I no longer read them.

Please also keep in mind that some posters are happy to overstate everything in regard to the subject of smoking. And some non-smoking posters seem to think that if the "smoker next door" smokes for 10 minutes, 4 times a day, the balcony experience is ruined for the entire day, every day, of the cruise.

Only you can decide if you are prepared to accept ANY smoking around you. It would be a shame if you ended up with chain smokers next to you. But please also realize that you may only be seeing one part of the issue -- not many people will post on a HAL smoking thread and say "we had smokers next door and we hardly knew they were there" or anything ELSE that could be interpreted in ANY way as a defense of smokers.

Have a look at Princess, too. They forbid balcony smoking. The Pacific Princess does 7 day RT from Vancouver.....

To me Alaska is all about the itinerary.

However, if you have a big aversion to smoking I would take a look at Celebrity Cruises.

Keith

Agree.

Another point to keep in mind is that HAL caters to an older group. HAL is sometimes referred to as the "Hardly Alive Line". I'm not knocking HAL. HAL has a large and loyal following. You might find HAL to be too sedate.

I appreciate the responses. Initially I was attracted to HAL because of the smaller size Statendam and what I thought was a decent wine policy. I've since learned of HAL's new wine policy, so that is no longer an advantage.

So I'm looking at the Millenium- they have a similar itinerary although they don't go to Glacier Bay and carry almost twice as many passengers. The price is considerably less (I'm only looking at staterooms with balconies).

Again, thank you. I value your experience and appreciate your willingness to share.

Agree.

Another point to keep in mind is that HAL caters to an older group. HAL is sometimes referred to as the "Hardly Alive Line". I'm not knocking HAL. HAL has a large and loyal following. You might find HAL to be too sedate.

You'll notice that posters that make such references have never been on a HAL ship. HAL does not have belly flop contests or hairy leg contests. If those things appeal to you, then HAL will be too sedate. They do have good service, good food and great itineraries. HAL cruises are an excellent product and value for the money.

I would recommend that you read the reviews of the ships that you are considering.

Have you considered Princess? They have a no smoking policy for the balconies. There are only a few places on the ship that smoking is permitted. The Coral and the Island Princess are smallish ships of 1900 passengers, but have many amenities of the larger ships. We did a cruise tour of Alaska and the cruise portion was on the Coral. We fell in love with cruising, which surprised us. We had been on other lines, but were always luke warm on it. We have since remained with Princess and been very happy. The Island and Coral are my favorite ships because of their size and wonderful crew. We also love the Pacific and Ocean Princess (600 passengers), but not all amenities are available on those.

As to selecting your cruise, I wholeheartedly urge you to choose an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. It was the highlight of our cruise. We saw calving glaciers, wildlife and the scenery was breathtaking.

Good luck with your selection!:)

We sail on HAL and have done the inside passage cruise from Vancouver.

We do not smoke, and luckily, have never been bothered by smokers on the ship.

We like the smaller ships of HAL. I agree that Glacier Bay is a highlight. I loved sitting in the Crow's Nest, watching the world sail by. If you are on your own balcony, you will miss what's happening on the other side of the ship. Make sure you bring binoculars.

Whatever ship you select I hope you have a wonderful cruise

HAL does not have belly flop contests or hairy leg contests.

Well that’s another plus in the HAL column.... ;-)

I did look at Princess, but the RT from Seattle would eliminate the possibility of some time to explore Alaska on land - which I very much want to do....

I also looked at the Celebrity Millenium, but that is back up in the nearly 2K passenger size which turns both of us off. Also, the itinerary doesn't go to Glacier Bay...

Long talk with husband last night. He likes the Statendam for the smaller size and thinks we should go with HAL and take our chances. I can book a BQ cabin very close to the bow which should help since smoke would tend to drift back. ( I don't care about the "spa" aspects of the cabin, just the very forward location)...

Today is the last day of the "Explore4" promo so we'll have another chat this afternoon and I will probably put down a deposit.....

Again, I appreciate all of your responses. (Since we are in our 60's, the "older image" of HAL is just fine with us)

I'm a bit confused. You want to do time on the Alaska Railroad but do not feel you will need to fly to be able to do it. You will either need to fly Anchorage and land tour then one way cruise to Vancouver or cruise Northbound, get off the ship, spend a week doing the land stuff, then hop on another ship and cruise southbound. So either a round trip will be necessary or flights.

I have spent 35 days on HAL in Alaska and love the experience. Please rethink the sitting on the balcony. The naturalist and captain will make announcement you will not hear on your balcony. You could miss whales, dolphins or other unique viewing opportunities if you are not out on the decks taking advantage of the full views available.

II'm a bit confused. You want to do time on the Alaska Railroad but do not feel you will need to fly to be able to do it. You will either need to fly Anchorage and land tour then one way cruise to Vancouver or cruise Northbound, get off the ship, spend a week doing the land stuff, then hop on another ship and cruise southbound. So either a round trip will be necessary or flights.

I apologize for the confusion. My plan is to go up by boat and return by air. So only one way air instead of round trip air.

The (rough) itinerary is

disembark Seward

rail to Anchorage overnight 1 or 2 nights in Anchorage then

rent a car or rail to Denali

3 or 4 nights in Denali

Continue to Fairbanks either in rental car or via rail

Fly from Fairbanks to Seattle

. Please rethink the sitting on the balcony. The naturalist and captain will make announcement you will not hear on your balcony. You could miss whales, dolphins or other unique viewing opportunities if you are not out on the decks taking advantage of the full views available.

We don't plan to spend ALL our time on the balcony, but we do prefer it in the evenings rather than a bar or showroom. Also we enjoy it early in the mornings.

Edited by zone8grandma

You'll notice that posters that make such references have never been on a HAL ship. HAL does not have belly flop contests or hairy leg contests. If those things appeal to you, then HAL will be too sedate. They do have good service, good food and great itineraries. HAL cruises are an excellent product and value for the money.

I would recommend that you read the reviews of the ships that you are considering.

I have sailed HAL & I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who likes anything at all going on in the evening or people who don't like to be run over by scooters, wheelchairs, walkers and sometimes poked by canes. My son was pushed (he was 10 at the time) out of line for ice cream by a couple of old people with walkers. I will say the ship (Oosterdam) was fine, the service was good and the food was good. It was the passenger mix we had a problem with. We are glad we saw Sitka, but that was our first and last HAL cruise. We refer to it as our COP cruise - Crabby Old People. And for an age reference, I turn 49 a week from today, and DH is 57, DS is 12.5. Our HAL cruise was June 2011.

Gordonchick, I hope you never grow old. That was a harsh assessment of the passengers on the Oosterdam. I've never been on a HAL cruise or any other cruise that was "overrun" with mobility aids.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the folks that pushed your son did so accidently due to poor eyesight or hearing? I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Roz

Gordonchick, I hope you never grow old. That was a harsh assessment of the passengers on the Oosterdam. I've never been on a HAL cruise or any other cruise that was "overrun" with mobility aids.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the folks that pushed your son did so accidently due to poor eyesight or hearing? I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Roz

No they pushed him deliberately - I was watching. And just because someone is old or older doesn't mean they are crabby. One of my closest friends is 20+ years older than me and she doesn't have that attitude at all. She's even using a scooter many times because she had a stroke 2 years ago and did so while we all were on a cruise last year. She's very conscious of NOT running over people or into them. She doesn't barge/drive through crowds plowing through no matter who's in her way. She's not that kind of person and not all older people are that way either. It just seemed they seemed to be holding a convention on the Oosterdam that week. I just spent the afternoon with a lovely couple - he's 94 and she's 86. I've known them for almost 30 years and they would have been appalled at the actions and attitudes we witnessed/experienced on that cruise. Was everyone like that? No. But out of all the other lines we've sailed, this has never happened to us. Funny, same thing happened to my bosses' boss and he won't sail HAL again either - and he's 15 years older than me. Sorry you don't like my first-hand account. I had heard this from others, but waited to see for myself, and boy did I!

And if it had been an accident, you'd think they would have appologized &/or mentioned that fact when I stepped in, but they didn't. In fact, they looked shocked that I would even call them on it.

I will get older, but I vow not to have THAT attitude.

Edited by GORDONCHICK