Reviews of reviews

Kel040

I really enjoy reading reviews and I always appreciate the time and effort members put into them and willingness to share their experiences. The humor, the pictures - all of them a great read -- Thank you :)..

I'm going to be sailing soon on the Dream - when I get back I plan on doing a review.. :D

Please share what you like about reviews and what you don't like..

Are there do's and don'ts for writing reviews - what about for commenting on reviews ??

Also, if you have any favorite reviews, please share a link to them here.

Edited by Kel040

I agree with using paragraphs. Don't get long winded and tell every.single.detail of every.single.day. I usually don't read the whole thing if someone writes the entire review in one long post, I guess I have a short attention span! Use lots and lots of pictures - a picture is worth 1000 words! Enjoy your cruise (I loved the Dream) - I look forward to your review.

Paragraphs, spacing, and larger font...haha...old eyes

I love food pictures, but after reading dozens of reviews, I think we all know what WCMC looks like! :p

However, if you dine on something less popular, would love pictures of those items. Also, if the new menus are out, then DEFINITELY need food pictures.

I also like ideas about excursions.

Thanks in advance for doing a review and don't forget to finish it! :D

Some people like to divide their overall impressions into categories, with a post/paragraph devoted to food, and another to all entertainment, another to all ports, etc. Some people like to go in chronological order. Either way works.

I usually start with an overall impression, giving a short version of each category. Then I like to go into more detail in chronological order, with pics all along the way. I typically don't get very many comments on my reviews, but I do tend to get just as many views as reviews that have 10 times the number of comments. Either I'm doing a great job informing people to the point that they don't see a need to comment or ask anything, or I'm doing such a terrible job that they quickly leave my review. It doesn't make sense how some people's reviews get such a huge amount of attention when other reviews that are just as good get so little.

The best advice is just do it in a way that means something to you, something that you will enjoy coming back to and reading what you wrote in the years to come. If you're happy with it, it doesn't matter if you get 4 comments or 4000.

You have been given a lot of great advice. Just develop a style that you like and go with it!!

I like a larger, different color font for easier reading.

Keep a journal, or keep notes on a daily basis while on your cruise, to help you remember things when you get home.

The only thing that bugs me sometimes, and it's just me, is seven pages of pre-cruise stuff such as airports, jets, hotel pictures, restaurants, etc. Sometimes it takes days before the reviewer gets to the cruise itself, which is mainly what I want to read about or see. I don't mind a short recap of pre-cruise activities, since some of that info can be very useful, but I don't need to see the hotel pool from 4 different angles. If it drags on, I tune out. Again, that's just me, a lot of people like that stuff.

Looking forward to reading your review!!

Edited by Jamman54

I write my reviews out in a Microsoft word document so I can review and make sure I'm telling "the story" the way I want to. Notes in a journal are very helpful (like getting the names of your wait staff and cabin attendant). Make your font big, colorful (not CC blue:D) and I would suggest a small caption for each photo.

Have a wonderful cruise!

You have been given a lot of great advice. Just develop a style that you like and go with it!!

I like a larger, different color font for easier reading.

Keep a journal, or keep notes on a daily basis while on your cruise, to help you remember things when you get home.

[

Looking forward to reading your review!!

Great advice to keep notes - I did do a review a few years ago for my first cruise ever, that was on the Fascination and I wished I had kept notes. Since then I have read so many good reviews - I hope mine will be a bit more informative and entertaining, than my first ! :D

I write my reviews out in a Microsoft word document so I can review and make sure I'm telling "the story" the way I want to. Notes in a journal are very helpful (like getting the names of your wait staff and cabin attendant). Make your font big, colorful (not CC blue:D) and I would suggest a small caption for each photo.

Have a wonderful cruise!

:) Yes, I am much more comfortable typing in WORD, and will be using that on the laptop for my notes .. Great idea to get staff names, something I wouldn't have thought of.

You are going to love the Dream. Well, at least we did. :D I'm one that did a VERY LONG review for our Dream cruise back in May. I'm not sure if you have read it or not. It might be of some interest to you...if you have a lot of time. :p

Yes, I did read your review, it was one of the first ones I read when I booked on the Dream - it was great - loaded with good pictures. You have a lovely family !

I really enjoy reading reviews and I always appreciate the time and effort members put into them and willingness to share their experiences. The humor, the pictures - all of them a great read -- Thank you :)..

I'm going to be sailing soon on the Dream - when I get back I plan on doing a review.. :D

Please share what you like about reviews and what you don't like..

Are there do's and don'ts for writing reviews - what about for commenting on reviews ??

Also, if you have any favorite reviews, please share a link to them here.

What a great idea- to elicit comments about how to make your review more readable..

Thanks!

Pam

you have been given a lot of great advice. Just develop a style that you like and go with it!!

i like a larger, different color font for easier reading.

keep a journal, or keep notes on a daily basis while on your cruise, to help you remember things when you get home.

the only thing that bugs me sometimes, and it's just me, is seven pages of pre-cruise stuff such as airports, jets, hotel pictures, restaurants, etc. Sometimes it takes days before the reviewer gets to the cruise itself, which is mainly what i want to read about or see. I don't mind a short recap of pre-cruise activities, since some of that info can be very useful, but i don't need to see the hotel pool from 4 different angles. If it drags on, i tune out. Again, that's just me, a lot of people like that stuff.

looking forward to reading your review!!

i concur!

I also agree that a lot of pre-cruise information is not necessary. I would include brief information on your pre-cruise hotel. Just info that others might find helpful when planning like if they offer free parking while on your cruise and shuttles to the port. Of course state if you would stay there again.

I also like a lot of pictures and a chronological review with the photos mixed in with the information. Times for embarkation are very helpful. I would note the time you arrive at port, the time you are done with check in (and any pertinent information) and what time you actually boarded. Please note if you had FTTF and if you found that beneficial.

I tend to take photos of things just to remind me of details that I might need later. I always take a photo of my cabin door with the number showing (just for my records) years later you might want to look that up. I would take note of any crew member's name that you thought was very helpful to you. If you get a cruise survey you will have that information to mention them by name.

Since dining changes are a big topic right now, please make note of any changes in how things are done, good photos of menus are good as people are always asking for those. I always keep my daily info sheets and any handouts I get as it helps me remember what happened on a certain day and allows me to answer any questions that people might ask later about entertainment, spa specials, etc. If you have the capability to I would scan them in and post them as people find that useful.

Have a great time, I am sailing on the Dream in May so I will be looking forward to your review. :)

Edited by Mysticks1

The only thing that bugs me sometimes, and it's just me, is seven pages of pre-cruise stuff such as airports, jets, hotel pictures, restaurants, etc. Sometimes it takes days before the reviewer gets to the cruise itself, which is mainly what I want to read about or see. I don't mind a short recap of pre-cruise activities, since some of that info can be very useful, but I don't need to see the hotel pool from 4 different angles. If it drags on, I tune out. Again, that's just me, a lot of people like that stuff.

I'm one of those people who love reading about pre-cruise stuff. Once I followed the suggestions for pre-cruise hotel and restaurant in FL, booked it and we had a great time!

The more details, the better.:)

Edited by Aldeya