Allure passingers should get a credit $ for the shorter times in port

If they should get credit for missing an hour in a port, how about they pay more for the extra hour using the facilities onboard;):D

Since you can either get off the ship or use the facilities for as long as the ship is on port, no.

;):D

Actually I only came to this thread looking for another typical predictable post of little value of someone saying, "The ship is the destination!" I'm surprised it wasn't here, so I'll say it. :) The ship is the destination. To all those who have said it, I doubt RC could sell a 7 day cruise to know where.

People sail transatlantic cruises all the time. Those have little to no ports, and involve 6+ days straight at sea. And that includes smaller ships that have much less in terms of activities on board. (Yes, it does include getting to Europe as well, but then you have to fly one way on transocean flight prices).

This has got to be the brightest answer I have read in I dont know how long.

Everybody is flaming the OP because to them -the ship is the destination- or -they have been to Nassau several times- or - they want to have th eship to themselves-

Well, that might be for other people, but not for the OP its clear. We dont know if its the OP first time to Nassau, or they did want to enjoy and make the best of the already super short stop there.

If it happened to me I would be upset and I would also like some type of compensation because I booked a cruise that will stop 7-2 in Nassau and it will not happen, for whatever reason you wanna call it, blame who you want, its just not happening, hence I AM NOT GETTING WHAT I PAID FOR. If it was weather related I would understand and I would appreciate the fact that they are doing it for my own safety and be glad they are not putting me in any risk. But you are taking time out of my already short time in port becaus eof your faulty ship. Why would I have to take the consequences of your faulty ship and not say a thing or be compensated even in the smallest way?

Now I do understand the part of the policy that ports might change for whatever reason. I am ok with that, but again, its because of RCIs faulty ship. Its not because the weather will not allow us to dock, or because Nassau will not let the ship dock, or because they want us to leave earlier. It is RCIs fault. Why would I have to be responisble for it and sacrifice my time on the island?

Flame me all you want but I think the OP has a valid point. OP booked a vacation that will be affected and not be what it was supposed to be because of the companies fault.

The ship is making all the ports and losing an hour at two of them. One freaking hour is all. That worth about five dollars for St. Thomas and one dollar for Nassau.....

I book cruises for ports. But for Allure of the Seas or Oasis, nope. And losing an hour in Nassau is no loss. Nassau is a crummy port. Will be in Nassau in a few weeks and I will go to John Bull which is a great department store on Bay Street, the only thing to do in Nassau that is worth the time, and maybe check out boats at the Atlantis Marina. the cruise line won't tell you about John Bull because they don't pay off the cruise line to be on the cruise line shopping list. I have been to beaches in Nassau, snorkeled in Nassau, and none of that was very good because the tour operators were terrible. They crammed to many on their boats and when we got there they were terrible. Like at Blue Lagoon could only snorkle in a roped area when the best part of the reef was outside that area. The port is only worth two hours and then back on the ship. The only ports I have find worthwhile in the Bahamas are the private islands. Freeport is even worse than Nassau.

That's great and everything, my only point was to stress that maybe the OP books Oasis or Allure for the ports and not the ship....so the time lost is important to them....

Everybody is flaming the OP because to them -the ship is the destination- or -they have been to Nassau several times- or - they want to have th eship to themselves-

Well, that might be for other people, but not for the OP its clear. We dont know if its the OP first time to Nassau, or they did want to enjoy and make the best of the already super short stop there.

If it happened to me I would be upset and I would also like some type of compensation because I booked a cruise that will stop 7-2 in Nassau and it will not happen, for whatever reason you wanna call it, blame who you want, its just not happening, hence I AM NOT GETTING WHAT I PAID FOR. If it was weather related I would understand and I would appreciate the fact that they are doing it for my own safety and be glad they are not putting me in any risk. But you are taking time out of my already short time in port becaus eof your faulty ship. Why would I have to take the consequences of your faulty ship and not say a thing or be compensated even in the smallest way?

Now I do understand the part of the policy that ports might change for whatever reason. I am ok with that, but again, its because of RCIs faulty ship. Its not because the weather will not allow us to dock, or because Nassau will not let the ship dock, or because they want us to leave earlier. It is RCIs fault. Why would I have to be responisble for it and sacrifice my time on the island?

Flame me all you want but I think the OP has a valid point. OP booked a vacation that will be affected and not be what it was supposed to be because of the companies fault.

Do you also expect the airlines to compensate you when they have a delay or cancellation and didn't get you to your destination at the time you booked? Using your logic above, you wonldn't have gotten what you paid for. :rolleyes:

At least these people are getting their port call in Nassau (The World's Largest Flea Market). They can still enjoy the beaches, bars, water and local sights. Losing 1 hour really isn't that traumatic.

I appreciate the OP and some others were looking forward to Nassau while I might think different about this port.

However I disagree with the OP having a valid Point. I think it´s debatetable if it´s the cruise lines fault. IMO a techincal malfunction would only be the cruiselines fault if failed to propper maintain the faulty item.

Anyway it´s all in the cruise contract and you paid for a cruise with x nights. Ports, port times, Destination, etc. are not guaranteed at all within the cruise contract. So People get what they paid for.

I think Overall I probably had as many Cruises with schedule changes as those that went just like announced in the brochure.

I´ve been on a cruise that missed 5 ports wich were about half the scheduled ports. I´ve missed ports I´ve really been looking for and ports that you easily visit, like remote places in Greenland and Iceland, just to Name an example. You can bet I was majorly disappointed about this, however not once did it come to my mind to complain or even seek any kind of compensation.

That's great and everything, my only point was to stress that maybe the OP books Oasis or Allure for the ports and not the ship....so the time lost is important to them....

In that case they booked the wrong cruise. You can do those ports for a lot less on other ships. I will be on Breakaway in a few weeks, a brand new ship, calling at Nassau, from 8 am to 6 pm, and I paid a lot less for the cruise than for or my Allure sailings and I have an outside balcony. On Allure I had an inside balcony. If Nassau was important Allure was the wrong ship to book anyway.

Edited by Charles4515

Sorry to burst your bubble but the Cruise Contract says that Royal Caribbean can change the itinerary at anytime for any reason. Here it was mechanical. Be happy you got to see the ports and were not stuck out in the Atlantic Ocean for a few days without power water or food.

I agree it would be a good gesture for Royal to give you a Future Cruise Credit.

You pay for a 7 night cruise. Your ship sails the full 7 nights you have received exactly what you paid for. As previously stated by others port times, ports of call, order of itinerary, substitution of ships, and other items can be changed or cancelled at their discretion with no compensation. It's all in black and white in small print in your cruise contract.

I would think there is a legitimate complaint if you loop that in with a few other complaints:

~ Lack of escargot in the MDR

~ No more towel animals

~ towels smell like smoke on pool deck

~ The new smoking policy that begins Jan 1, 2014

... am I forgetting anything??

Maybe you want to make a claim to the trip insurance...

Funny...K.O.:)

I think a small token credit like $25 would be nice..

ROFL - sure it would be nice, but are we talking "would be nice" or "should" like in your OP?

Lots of things would be nice, but they are not gonna happen and/or not warranted in any way.

After all we are talking about a Business here and your "small token credit" will add up and result in a loss of Revenue and in the end all of us are paying with higher rates for them being nice to you.

I am sailing the eastern route in 3 weeks. Don't have any excursions booked through RCI or a private company that could be impacted so I don't have any skin in the game. I do not expect any compensation.

However...

Lucky for me I am a member of CC and get my information here because I have gotten absolutely NO information from RCI regarding the changes. Not an email blast, voice mail, snail mail, nothing! I'm guessing that a lot of passengers book their cruise and then don't even think about monitoring the RCI website to look for press releases that could have news impacting their cruise, nor should they. The company has a responsibility to contact every passenger and inform them of shortened port times. So I do think that someone who has an excursion booked and boards the ship blissfully unaware of the changes should receive some form of compensation.

Here is why I say that...these people are going to spend hours in line at guest services or on the phone with the independent operator or chasing down a payment to a vendor...so their precious vacation time while on board is being impacted and it could have been prevented. RCI needs to take ownership of informing their guests beforehand so people can make arrangements before them begin their vacation...and a press release doesn't cut it.

Maybe if they had to dole out some cash in the form of OBC they would be more attentive to the Customer Experience.

Edited by Wilda

I am sailing the eastern route in 3 weeks. Don't have any excursions booked through RCI or a private company that could be impacted so I don't have any skin in the game. I do not expect any compensation.

However...

Lucky for me I am a member of CC and get my information here because I have gotten absolutely NO information from RCI regarding the changes. Not an email blast, voice mail, snail mail, nothing! I'm guessing that a lot of passengers book their cruise and then don't even think about monitoring the RCI website to look for press releases that could have news impacting their cruise, nor should they. The company has a responsibility to contact every passenger and inform them of shortened port times. So I do think that someone who has an excursion booked and boards the ship blissfully unaware of the changes should receive some form of compensation.

Here is why I say that...these people are going to spend hours in line at guest services or on the phone with the independent operator or chasing down a payment to a vendor...so their precious vacation time while on board is being impacted and it could have been prevented. RCI needs to take ownership of informing their guests beforehand so people can make arrangements before them begin their vacation...and a press release doesn't cut it.

Sounds lovely really, but the bottom line is the fine print in your cruise contract states that for any reason RCL reserves the right to modify, change or cancel itineraries for any reason. So compensation, sorry none due or should be expected. Does everyone know about RCL's website that states this change in itinerary, probably not, does everyone read the cruise contract, probably not. Should there be compensation.....NO sorry, legally none is due, end of story IMHO...:eek:

Sounds lovely really, but the bottom line is the fine print in your cruise contract states that for any reason RCL reserves the right to modify, change or cancel itineraries for any reason. So compensation, sorry none due or should be expected. Does everyone know about RCL's website that states this change in itinerary, probably not, does everyone read the cruise contract, probably not. Should there be compensation.....NO sorry, legally none is due, end of story IMHO...:eek:

This is about providing good customer service and doing the right thing for their guests, not whether it is legal or not. I don't expect any compensation...but the poor sap who is on their first cruise and booked excursions is being impacted and it could have been avoided if RCI had communicated appropriately. Oh wait, they don't do that very well do they:rolleyes:

However...

Maybe if they had to dole out some cash in the form of OBC they would be more attentive to the Customer Experience.

This is about providing good customer service and doing the right thing for their guests, not whether it is legal or not. I don't expect any compensation...but the poor sap who is on their first cruise and booked excursions is being impacted and it could have been avoided if RCI had communicated appropriately. Oh wait, they don't do that very well do they:rolleyes:

This brings me back to my post about "nice to have".....:rolleyes:

As to your example of Independent tour Operators my answer as RCI would be - see had you booked with us, all would have been sorted.:p

As to your example of Independent tour Operators my answer as RCI would be - see had you booked with us, all would have been sorted.:p

Agree with your previous post. They have a lot of work to do in the area of customer service.

I have been on 45 cruises and have had many unannounced changes in port times that happened after I sailed. Due, to technical problems, weather, tides, medical emergencies and no place to dock cause another ship did not leave on time. The port times are not written in stone. They can't be.

As far as independent tour operators. I have used many. They wait. They have nothing else to do and they wait. They need the money. Also they keep track of the ships. They know when the ship is actually going to arrive. In a situation like this one if booked in advance they are going to know about the hour because they are meeting the ship every week!