Epic fail

Baseballkurt

We got off the Epic last Saturday. We didn't have the lines but the food was cold and not completely cooked. Also some of the staff were being reprimanded in front of the passengers. Another employee was complaining to us as we were walking out of the buffet that the person who sprayed your hands with hand sanitizer was too loud, that she didn't need to be so loud. Really? You are going to complain about another employee to passengers? Have been on 7 cruises. This was the worst.

When we arrived in Miami November 2nd about half the crew were disembarking at the end of their contracts so there will be a lot of new crew onboard getting to know each other for the next 9 months! Add that a lot of the Phillipino crew probably have their minds elsewhere given recent events :(

Yes, I suppose "Epic Fail" was over the top. But I have to say, I also just got off this ship yesterday (Nov. 16) and was disappointed. The entertainment was not at the par that it was 3 years ago. Fat Cats lounge has been basically delegated to a game room and karaoke parlor. The Second City group, in MHO was just going through the motions. There was no big band music in the Manhattan Club. (they played in the Atrium instead). Howl at the Moon, was very good though. And so was the Legends show.

I know I'm going to be slammed for saying this, but it appears NCL is really catering to families, which is fine. But for me, it just seemed over run with children. At any given moment, there was loud whining, screaming, screeching and crying. Two meals at Taste became uncomfortable because of very loud children not being disciplined by their parents. I know this is not NCL's fault of course. But I've never been on a cruise with so many children. I would expect that in the summer, but in November?

I found the food to be very good however. The service was a bit slow, but I felt it was professional and courteous. We did not eat in any of the specialty restaurants, but always enjoyed our meals at Manhattan Club, Taste, the buffet and occasional light snacks at O'Sheehans.

While O'Sheehans is open 24 hours, they change the menu at 11 pm and the late night menu is very limited. On our last time with Epic, we used to enjoy going to O'Sheehans after a late show and we could get a fruit plate with that delicious banana bread. But now they don't offer that late at night. Just things like pot pies and other heavy fare.

So, while I wouldn't say it was a Epic Fail, I would say that after almost 30 cruises, this was my least favorite.

Sorry the OPs parents didn't enjoy their trip. Maybe they, and the other travellers who weren't so pleased, could write a full constructive review as the negative and the positive are really useful for cruise-research.

I have to say when we went on the Med in May the separate food was in separate sections and there was no queuing issues. The only minor problem we really had in the buffet was with other customers pushing in, and even invading our table without asking! It didn't ruin our trip and wasn't an issue, more like a slight annoyance. That's why we mostly went to the Great Outdoors buffet on the pool deck and O'Sheehans: i don't like burgers normally but I still crave their burgers ever now!

Yes, I suppose "Epic Fail" was over the top. But I have to say, I also just got off this ship yesterday (Nov. 16) and was disappointed. The entertainment was not at the par that it was 3 years ago. Fat Cats lounge has been basically delegated to a game room and karaoke parlor. The Second City group, in MHO was just going through the motions. There was no big band music in the Manhattan Club. (they played in the Atrium instead). Howl at the Moon, was very good though. And so was the Legends show.

I know I'm going to be slammed for saying this, but it appears NCL is really catering to families, which is fine. But for me, it just seemed over run with children. At any given moment, there was loud whining, screaming, screeching and crying. Two meals at Taste became uncomfortable because of very loud children not being disciplined by their parents. I know this is not NCL's fault of course. But I've never been on a cruise with so many children. I would expect that in the summer, but in November?

I found the food to be very good however. The service was a bit slow, but I felt it was professional and courteous. We did not eat in any of the specialty restaurants, but always enjoyed our meals at Manhattan Club, Taste, the buffet and occasional light snacks at O'Sheehans.

While O'Sheehans is open 24 hours, they change the menu at 11 pm and the late night menu is very limited. On our last time with Epic, we used to enjoy going to O'Sheehans after a late show and we could get a fruit plate with that delicious banana bread. But now they don't offer that late at night. Just things like pot pies and other heavy fare.

So, while I wouldn't say it was a Epic Fail, I would say that after almost 30 cruises, this was my least favorite.

Wow

sorry to hear about these changes. My second time on Epic the Cirque Dreams show was changed too. Paying top entertainers can get expensive so I am sure they are cutting back some.

Hi: I was on the Epic Nov 2 cruise out of Miami...Never did stand in a buffet line...One of the other posters mentioned that you do not have to get in the rear of the line...That's why they have different stations...And, the buffet repeats on each side, so if one side happens to be crowded, just walk on over to the other side...I never had a problem finding a seat, either...Tip: The seating section of the buffet overlooking the bow is never as crowded...Also, if you feel it is too crowded, just go a little earlier...Before 8:00 the place is never too busy...

Steve

Was on the Epic Nov 2 cruise...I too was disappointed in Fat Cats...No real blues or jazz...I agree that it seems to have been turned into a meeting room and game show venue...Several nights it was deserted...The Manhattan Band played there one night and another duo another night, but if you want blues and good jazz, it isn't there...

Steve

Was on the Epic Nov 2 cruise...I too was disappointed in Fat Cats...No real blues or jazz...I agree that it seems to have been turned into a meeting room and game show venue...Several nights it was deserted...The Manhattan Band played there one night and another duo another night, but if you want blues and good jazz, it isn't there...

Steve

I'm glad I found this out. This might be a deal breaker for me. That was one of my favorite things about sailing on the Epic.

Hi: I was on the Epic Nov 2 cruise out of Miami...Never did stand in a buffet line...One of the other posters mentioned that you do not have to get in the rear of the line...That's why they have different stations...And, the buffet repeats on each side, so if one side happens to be crowded, just walk on over to the other side...I never had a problem finding a seat, either...Tip: The seating section of the buffet overlooking the bow is never as crowded...Also, if you feel it is too crowded, just go a little earlier...Before 8:00 the place is never too busy...

Steve

To add to your post Steve during breakfast and lunch if it is busy in the buffet you can take the stairs down to LaCucina and eat there. Another nice venue.

Steve

Wow, one of the top things I was looking forward to! Hope there is a change before 12-07.

Steve

Oh no ... I do hope that it is just a matter of finding a new band now that they have made it back to Caribbean sailings. This is not good news:(

As for the buffet and the OP, so sorry that your parents didn't enjoy their time onboard the Epic. As someone said, did they speak to anyone while onboard?

Edited by kerrytens

To add to your post Steve during breakfast and lunch if it is busy in the buffet you can take the stairs down to LaCucina and eat there. Another nice venue.

Excellent advice - LaCucina is never busy during those times. We ate breakfast down there a few times; other than that, it was a table that overlooked the bow of the ship. I loved how the eating area was set up on the Epic.

Yes, I ate breakfast in LaCucina once on the cruise...Sort of a "forgotten" place to eat in the morning...Guess the steps put people off, and it is not real obvious that it is even open, but it is another fine option...

Steve

Steve

There's not been a jazz/blues band in there for a while. I went in September and they had the Beatles tribute play there. On the TA Oct/Nov it was some Dominican band odd nights :(

Wow just trying to get clear info from others. Its not false to them, this is how it was in there mind. They don't like main dining rooms too stuffy for them. .

Was this their first NCL cruise?

If so, I am very sad they didn't even try the dining room because NCL is in NO way, shape or form stuffy.

if they previously sailed Celebrity and HAL, this might be the reason they'd think that. Even Royal is more 'formal' in the mdr...but NCL, No way. They have 2 seperate dinign rooms. One is more 'formal' and I use that term loosely because it isn't formal, it's more resort casual. The second dinign room is for absolute comfort...shorts etc. How this is stuffy is beyond me. As for the buffet, I know for whatever reason seniors love a buffet (I am hoping I suddenly don't start to like them 10 years down the road :eek: LOL!!), I just wish they'd have givien the mdr a shot..especially since they didn't understand the buffet layout very well. :( I am sorry they didn't enjoy what could have been a much better cruise.

Edited by halos

This was thier 2nd NCL. This was booked 8 months ago while they were on the first one that they enjoyed so much. When they get back to my house i will get the details and post everything that was an issue. The buffet was just part of it, but they have to drive 1600 miles here so will be a couple days.

I don't see how posting a thread titled *Epic Fail* is "trying to get clear info from others" sounds like you are bashing Epics buffet line and doing it second hand~ sounds to me like others who have been on the Epic have not experienced the issue your parents talk about. Might have been a bit more helpful if you posted your thread as that *A question*~ haven't been on the Epic so I can't tell you my experience~ but that's how I read your post~ but again this is just my opinion~

I agree. The title of the post is what makes it sound like a bash instead of a fact finding mission or just providing information to others. That is what has most people upset .

OP, I have a few thoughts about this thread.

Also, you say this is your parents' second cruise on NCL, yet the bolded section of the quote above shows me that they haven't realized the full benefit of Freestyle cruising. There is absolutely NO reason to dress up for any of the main dining rooms on NCL, and your parents have the luxury of eating what they want, when they want it, anywhere on the ship. That is the very epitome of Freestyle.

:)

I have to disagree with you on this part. Freestyle is just that freestyle. if they choose to only eat at the buffets and never enter a restaurant then that is freestyle. The choices are endless. I can tell you that this cruise we will probably never eat in a restaurant. We will eat in the buffet and O'Sheehans. we don't enjoy table service as it takes more time than we are willing to give. We also like to play it by ear and eat whenever the mood hits us. That is truly freestyle. His parents have the correct idea for them.

My parents just got off the Epic today and were very disappointed. This is the 2nd cruise with NCL. I don't have a lot of details but one of the main things is the buffet, where they only eat, forces you to a single file line to get food, even if you want something small at the end of the line. So the hot food you put on your plate is cold by the time you are out of line and at your table.

Why didn't they eat in the MDR, where they would have had waiter service for no extra charge?