Epic fail

Baseballkurt

Sorry the OPs parents didn't enjoy their trip. Maybe they, and the other travellers who weren't so pleased, could write a full constructive review as the negative and the positive are really useful for cruise-research.

I have to say when we went on the Med in May the separate food was in separate sections and there was no queuing issues. The only minor problem we really had in the buffet was with other customers pushing in, and even invading our table without asking! It didn't ruin our trip and wasn't an issue, more like a slight annoyance. That's why we mostly went to the Great Outdoors buffet on the pool deck and O'Sheehans: i don't like burgers normally but I still crave their burgers ever now!

I crave any food that I don't have to cook or clean up after. LOL

My parents just got off the Epic today and were very disappointed. This is the 2nd cruise with NCL. I don't have a lot of details but one of the main things is the buffet, where they only eat, forces you to a single file line to get food, even if you want something small at the end of the line. So the hot food you put on your plate is cold by the time you are out of line and at your table.

Nope, not accurate. The Epic is set up in different stations. You will find numerous stations serving the same thing so no need to line up. Sounds like they just walked in and got in line without walking around.

I was just on that same sailing, just got home. Also, I eat in the buffet more than any other venue so can speak to this area first hand for any and all meals during the day.

Yes there are different stations but there were definitely sections, where the main food selections (meat and potatoes) that resulted in lines so this is accurate and others not on this sailing should not be so quick to say this is not true. What may not be accurate is that it is ONE LINE, this is not true, the lines formed at certain stations. Stations are not island style so the food at them is grouped one thing after another so line ups are inevitable with many people especially during peak times. The buffet is a mirror setup so what you found on side is also found on the other so you could strategically avoid a line up depending on what areas you hit first. I did not see any real LONG line ups though, not like I witnesses on my Carnival Victory sailing out of San Juan, that was the worst I have ever seen.

Again I think it's due to the mass number that sail on this ship and regardless of perceived stations, which were so totally confusing and badly laid out (butter can be found near the salad station, the bread far from the toasters, and other such oddities) that it just added to the chaos. Oh and add to that the rudeness of some people ... OMG it was unreal.

I have sailed the Pearl and it had similar food station style layout but I found it never had such lineups and you just moved around easily and LOVED the buffet on that ship but I suspect the smaller passenger number is the reason for that.

I will write a quick pro/con review but unfortunately looking back it felt more bad than good which saddens me cause I really wanted to like it and I don't consider myself hard to please and am a go with the flow person. It just didn't live up to my expectations. Still a great break from work though.

Edited by poffles

I have to disagree with you on this part. Freestyle is just that freestyle. if they choose to only eat at the buffets and never enter a restaurant then that is freestyle. The choices are endless. I can tell you that this cruise we will probably never eat in a restaurant. We will eat in the buffet and O'Sheehans. we don't enjoy table service as it takes more time than we are willing to give. We also like to play it by ear and eat whenever the mood hits us. That is truly freestyle. His parents have the correct idea for them.

Yep, freestyle. You won't catch me in the buffet. NCL gives us choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Was on the Epic Nov 2 cruise...I too was disappointed in Fat Cats...No real blues or jazz...I agree that it seems to have been turned into a meeting room and game show venue...Several nights it was deserted...The Manhattan Band played there one night and another duo another night, but if you want blues and good jazz, it isn't there...

Steve

Charlie Love wasn't there?

My parents just got off the Epic today and were very disappointed. This is the 2nd cruise with NCL. I don't have a lot of details but one of the main things is the buffet, where they only eat, forces you to a single file line to get food, even if you want something small at the end of the line. So the hot food you put on your plate is cold by the time you are out of line and at your table.

I am so sorry they didn't enjoy their cruise. There is nothing worse than a vacation that is a disappointment. I can't imagine with all the choices we have when we cruise, eating only at the buffet, but everyone has his/her own preferences. It would be a shame if that was the main thing they had against the cruise. You mention it was their second NCL cruise, I would think they would have known they do not have to dress up to eat in any of the restaurants; yes, some do not allow shorts but for the most part they can dress pretty much the way they want. If they prefer the buffet, they are really missing something.

Edited by newmexicoNita

The Epic has several different Food stations, it is not one single file line. My experience on the Epic buffet is the best of any ship ive been on. Yes, you may have to line up to get a particular item, but anyone who has ever done buffet knows, get the cold items before the hot. Just take a look around, decide what you want and go for it. The only "Lines" i remember were for made to order omelets and made to order pasta.

I remember reading the Epic reviews back in the beginning and there was lots about the great entertainment so it is sad that perhaps that has changed.

In terms of the buffet, it is what it is. I have never done lunch or dinner at the buffet so had never considered long lines. But, yes it is freestyle and if that is where a great many people wish to go ... there will be lines. That's the beauty though, there are so many other dining options to try and enjoy!

We have booked kind of a last minute (last minute for us anyway!) so am looking forward to a great time!

I also just got off the Epic on Saturday.

I can't speak for all nights, but we did stop by Fat Cats twice in the evening. Once they were doing Karaoke and once they were doing some kind of game show.

The other entertainment was pretty good. Blue Man Group and Howling at the Moon were awesome. We saw two Second City shows. One was great (the family friendly improv show). The other(more skits) was good, not great. Legends was ok. Steven Tyler was amazing. Katy Perry kinda sucked and Elvis was just ok. We really enjoyed the live band by the pool. That was one of the reasons we chose NCL over Carnival and that was a good choice.

As far as the OP's comments, I can see what they mean, at least partially. Yes, there are multiple stations, but during the most crowded times, the lines tended to merge into one long line. So it sometimes felt rude to go straight to the specialty foods when there was basically one long line from the cold stuff to the hot.

Evidently, the OP's parents did not realize how to utilize the Epic's buffet. If they had looked a bit closer, they would see there are plated and utensils at every station. You go to each station individually and there is not supposed to be any type of "cafeteria line" at all. Some people just don't realize this is the way the flow is supposed to work, simply because all the different stations are all lined up against the wall.

Was on the Epic Nov 2 cruise...I too was disappointed in Fat Cats...No real blues or jazz...I agree that it seems to have been turned into a meeting room and game show venue...Several nights it was deserted...The Manhattan Band played there one night and another duo another night, but if you want blues and good jazz, it isn't there...

Steve

Is it possible the band that was booked for Fat Cats cancelled last minute? I can not imagine the Epic not having a regular Jazz band to perform in their Jazz club. That club was a very big draw the two times I sailed on Epic.

Evidently, the OP's parents did not realize how to utilize the Epic's buffet. If they had looked a bit closer, they would see there are plated and utensils at every station. You go to each station individually and there is not supposed to be any type of "cafeteria line" at all. Some people just don't realize this is the way the flow is supposed to work, simply because all the different stations are all lined up against the wall.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting but utensils are definitely not at every station, forks and knives are at the tables wrapped in napkins and that was if there were any left on the table. Finding utensils was sometimes a game all it's own.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting but utensils are definitely not at every station, forks and knives are at the tables wrapped in napkins and that was if there were any left on the table. Finding utensils was sometimes a game all it's own.

They are on the tables AND at the stations with the plates.....at least they are on every NCL ship I have sailed.

Edited by halos

They are on the tables AND at the stations with the plates.....at least they are on every NCL ship I have sailed.

That was not our experience. Some areas would have a bin with forks or spoons. For example, the ice cream station always had spoons available. But the regular stations generally did not. Just plates at the beginning of each station. And that was sometimes an issue as well. On a few occasions, there were no plates and you had to go to multiple stations, or even to the other side of the ship to find a plate.

That was not our experience. Some areas would have a bin with forks or spoons. For example, the ice cream station always had spoons available. But the regular stations generally did not. Just plates at the beginning of each station. And that was sometimes an issue as well. On a few occasions, there were no plates and you had to go to multiple stations, or even to the other side of the ship to find a plate.

And I must have missed the forks cause I never found any of those at food stations but guess I didn't search long enough :). I think the common theme is that utensils were sometimes a hunting expedition unless you stumbled upon a food station that had some to match the food served there.

I was entertained by this mid cruise, I watched occasions where people entering the buffet from the pool deck grabbed utensils off tables outside as they passed by and stuck them in their pockets so that they had them when they sat to eat inside. If I hadn't witnessed the shortage (many times) I would have thought they were nuts, instead I would chuckle and think how smart they were LOL

Oh and I don't recall ever seeing knives anywhere but at the tables.

Edited by poffles

That's not good.

Most of the time, the tables had a supply of rolled up napkins with a knife and fork. When they didn't, flagging down a staff member usually got us some pretty quickly. But during the busiest times, it did seem that the dishwashers couldn't quite keep up with the demand and there was a shortage of plates and silverware.

Most of the time, the tables had a supply of rolled up napkins with a knife and fork. When they didn't, flagging down a staff member usually got us some pretty quickly. But during the busiest times, it did seem that the dishwashers couldn't quite keep up with the demand and there was a shortage of plates and silverware.

My experience too ... most times they could be found at your table or at a table nearby and that is what we thought too - that the dishwashers (or perhaps laundry for the napkins?) could not keep up with the busiest times.

I was on the Nov. 9th Epic cruise. Although the buffet has stations, there is no doubt that during busy times if you are not aggressive you may end up standing in more than one relatively short line or another. But they would be fairly short. The "stations" definitely work better for more aggressive people, which may explain why some people end up acting that way.

Definitely no cutlery by the plates. And yes cutlery shortages on tables happened frequently but the staff were quick to respond if you asked.

And as for the poster who mentioned the number of kids on this cruise, you must have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. There were very few children on this cruise relative to capacity. Pools were fairly quiet. Lines for slides were modest or non-existent. November before Thanksgiving is always the best time to cruise if you want a less busy ship.

Great cruise on the Epic. Perfect? No, but what is?

Okay they stopped by and chatted with me for a few minutes on there way home. Yes there were stations, but if you were to step out of line by one to get to another station, the people in the current line would glare. They loved all the entertainment, and the balcony cabin too. The hallways were narrow compared to the other ships they have been on. They do not like the main dining room, im glad some of you enjoy it. It took an act of god to get them to join our table when we cruise with them. They also had some onboard credit that they spent, and found out on Saturday that it was not spent correctly and was lost. I posted this to try and get some answers for my own knowledge base. They like buffets while cruising, many of you keep saying to go eat elsewhere, but they did not want to. They dont tell you how to cruise and I dont either. They will be contacting the rep of the company they book through, cant say name here. Bash me all you want, oh and in case some of you think, my dad is 6 feet tall and 205 lbs. They dont live for buffets when not on cruises, it just works for them.