Gluten free options

wildescapade

Does anyone have any info on this? I am sailing on the Reflection in March and my daughter has a gluten sensitivity. We were just on the Breakaway, and it was somewhat difficult...she had to speak to someone the day before to get the menu straight for the following evening...and the buffet had no signs for gluten free options. If she wanted toast or english muffins, she had to flag someone down and tell them and then they had to come and find her. We were hoping it would be a little easier on Celebrity. Thanks.

We travel with friends who are gluten free. They did not go to the buffet but we ate in Aqua Class. They were given the next nights menu each evening and were able to request their gluten free dinner for the next evening. They did not have any problems at all. Hope this helps

We travel with friends who are gluten free. They did not go to the buffet but we ate in Aqua Class. They were given the next nights menu each evening and were able to request their gluten free dinner for the next evening. They did not have any problems at all. Hope this helps

The same happens in the MDR, just speak to the maitre' de and get it sorted the first night and the rest will be smooth sailing. Ordering the day before is a big advantage as the food is prepared specially for you. This also works for Select dining. Enjoy.:D

We are booked to the Far East in Jan 2014 on Millenium. My husband is gluten free (2 yrs) he aways has the meni the night before to choose what he wants and if we go to the speciality restaurants he does the same. The one problem he gets is if he decides to go to the buffet at lunch time he is limited and normally has to flag someone down to go and get him something from the MDR, also my desserts always look better than his and he has always loved puddings. We have only sailed with P&O and Holland America since he was diagnosed so not sure what Celebrity are going to be like.

We traveled with a friend with celiac last March. He had a great experience with one exception. When we went to Qsine he was repeatedly assured that someone would discuss each dish with him as it was brought to the table as Qsine serves shared dishes for the table and you typically have many different dishes there. Frequently no one actually did this and even when they did some info must have been wrong as he had some issues that night. Don't believe he had any other issues from other dining areas on the ship. I got the impression that the Qsine manager frequently forgot about him and the waiters were winging it a bit.

We had a different issue with dietary restrictions (not gluten related) once a couple years back at Silk Harvest where the style of service also involves shared plates. Based on these two experiences I'd recommend those with dietary restrictions involving bad reactions to common ingredients avoid Qsine or Silk Harvest as the serving style there is for various staff to be frequently bringing different shared dishes to the table and I think there might be a greater risk of one of them losing track of the restriction under this scenario.

As far as the other dining areas, I think the key was discussing things with the manager or assistant manager in each area. In the dining room this is easy. In the buffet it wasn't too bad either as there are also several managers walking the area or available on request. Some items seemed readily available on request and some needed advance request and were cooked special for him - even items such as pizza in the buffet. Some of the regular waiters and servers seemed knowledgable but I don't think you ever know for certain with them while the managers and assistant managers all were very helpful to him and seemed much better trained and aware of ingredients.

Again, this is all third party from my discussions with this friend and observations during the cruise.

Edited by Lsimon

I have cruised gluten free on Celebrity and other cruise lines and agree with the helpful comments in the previous postings.

Additionally, I have found that some waiters can be somewhat language challenged when using the term "gluten free." Sometimes letting the waiter know that you cannot eat wheat may work better. It's not perfect but it helps.

I was on the Summit in April. I have to eat gluten free as well. There is no need to order a night ahead in the MDR. The menus clearly state the items that are gluten free. I had no problem at all!! I did request gluten free bread the first day and they had it on the table for me each night after. Good luck and have fun!!!

Hats off to Celebrity for this one. You can speak with the Maitre d' but each menu indicated which items you can select. Our daughter is GF and they are very accommodating. This is the only line that I have seen that does this with all of their menus.

Our daughter has celiac disease and has to be extremely careful with her food as well as any cross contamination. We were told to talk to the mater'd as soon as we get on the ship and they can talk. We were also advised that as long as her food is unopened she can bring some of her own stuff onboard and they will prepare it for her. A the buffet, as long as they know ahead of time, they will set aside things she may want and they will keep,it separate.

Hats off to Celebrity for this one. You can speak with the Maitre d' but each menu indicated which items you can select. Our daughter is GF and they are very accommodating. This is the only line that I have seen that does this with all of their menus.

As I did not know they were the only line to do this, I would have to say what are the other cruise lines doing?

Indicating whether meals are Gluton Free or Vegetarian or even the new Heart Smart/healthy options has been in practice in restaurants for years.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Thank you, everyone for your input! It looks like Celebrity will be a bit easier than NCL was. I think it would make sense for each cruise line to set aside a section in the buffet for gluten free/celiac food. After all, everyone can eat these things...it's not like it would be wasted space. At the buffet on the Breakaway, a lot of the food looked like it could have been gluten free (such as beet salads and bean salads) but nothing was marked GF. I am hoping they will get better about this as it looks like a lot more people are developing an intolerance for gluten.

Thank you, everyone for your input! It looks like Celebrity will be a bit easier than NCL was. I think it would make sense for each cruise line to set aside a section in the buffet for gluten free/celiac food. After all, everyone can eat these things...it's not like it would be wasted space. At the buffet on the Breakaway, a lot of the food looked like it could have been gluten free (such as beet salads and bean salads) but nothing was marked GF. I am hoping they will get better about this as it looks like a lot more people are developing an intolerance for gluten.

Good luck and enjoy.:D

As I did not know they were the only line to do this, I would have to say what are the other cruise lines doing?

Indicating whether meals are Gluten Free or Vegetarian or even the new Heart Smart/healthy options has been in practice in restaurants for years.:D

I can only speak for Disney.( Our only cruise)The wife and I sailed the Fantasy. My wife has celiac and when it comes to food allergy no one is better then Disney ( ships and parks). Besides telling guest services and our waiters, after every dinner in the MDR she was able to choose her options from the menu for the following day. They always had gluten free bread and good deserts for her also. At the buffet she spoke to the chef who pointed out what she could eat. At the poolside fast food spots they had gluten free options such as pizza, chicken fingers and gluten free rolls for burgers. When we ate breakfast in the MDR which was buffet the chef would come out and talk to her then they would make fresh made gluten free pancakes, donuts or muffins that tasted real good right out of the oven. In the buffet she would just eat the eggs or bacon. We also ate at Palos which is a higher fee restaurant and she was able to choose pretty much what ever she wanted on the menu and they could make it GF.The final nice touch was that on their private island Castaway Cay she could have picked out her lunch the night before and it would have been at the food service pavilion on the island, we didn't know this at the time.We wanted to go back on DCL just for the fact they are so good with food allergies but DCL prices for 2015 just came out and they are so high we are trying other cruise lines. I am glad to read the post about the Summit because we are hoping to sail it to Bermuda.

One last note I read on a Dis post that Disney may be going the way of noting certain selections on the menu which are GF instead of being able to order the night before. I think that limits your choices.

Edited by kshark1958

I can only speak for Disney.( Our only cruise)The wife and I sailed the Fantasy. My wife has celiac and when it comes to food allergy no one is better then Disney ( ships and parks). Besides telling guest services and our waiters, after every dinner in the MDR she was able to choose her options from the menu for the following day. They always had gluten free bread and good deserts for her also. At the buffet she spoke to the chef who pointed out what she could eat. At the poolside fast food spots they had gluten free options such as pizza, chicken fingers and gluten free rolls for burgers. When we ate breakfast in the MDR which was buffet the chef would come out and talk to her then they would make fresh made gluten free pancakes, donuts or muffins that tasted real good right out of the oven. In the buffet she would just eat the eggs or bacon. We also ate at Palos which is a higher fee restaurant and she was able to choose pretty much what ever she wanted on the menu and they could make it GF.The final nice touch was that on their private island Castaway Cay she could have picked out her lunch the night before and it would have been at the food service pavilion on the island, we didn't know this at the time.We wanted to go back on DCL just for the fact they are so good with food allergies but DCL prices for 2015 just came out and they are so high we are trying other cruise lines. I am glad to read the post about the Summit because we are hoping to sail it to Bermuda.

One last note I read on a Dis post that Disney may be going the way of noting certain selections on the menu which are GF instead of being able to order the night before. I think that limits your choices.

That is great that Disney go to all that effort. I can only speak for the restaurants on X but they certainly do most of what you said Disney does and they list the GF meals on the menu. :D

Edited by MicCanberra

I can only speak for Disney.( Our only cruise)The wife and I sailed the Fantasy. My wife has celiac and when it comes to food allergy no one is better then Disney ( ships and parks).

While I have no Disney cruise experience(Sorry Disney for that same money we could be in the parks.) we keep going to WDW because of how they handle our youngest's food allergies. Instead of our youngest being embarrassed by what an issue it is to find something she can eat she is the star of the show. At every meal a chef comes out and confirms her allergies, tells her what on the menu/buffet are safe for her and what items on the menu/buffet can be made in a safe for her manner. It is very relaxing for mom and dad to not have to be food hawks on vacation, too.

Edited by Pecs ado rojo

That is great that Disney go to all that effort. I can only speak for the restaurants on X but they certainly do most of what you said Disney does and they list the GF meals on the menu. :D

Yes, Celebrity does an okay job of handling gluten free but they in no way match Disney.

Even This grandmother felt very special at Disney.

Celebrity fails mostly in replacement items such as bread, waffles, cake, I M O. Celebrity needs to look into the things that are available in todays markets and make some changes. On a recent cruise I was served waffles and pizza crust made with pure white rice flour and no gum. In 13 years, I have never had a gluten free product that tasted any worse than those I was served. This will not stop me from cruising with Celebrity but I will continue to hope for better.

Celebrity does provide nicely for gluten free but they could improve in some areas. Love the symbols on the dinner menu, they do make for a more pleasant dining experience.

Yes, Celebrity does an okay job of handling gluten free but they in no way match Disney.

Even This grandmother felt very special at Disney.

Celebrity fails mostly in replacement items such as bread, waffles, cake, I M O. Celebrity needs to look into the things that are available in todays markets and make some changes. On a recent cruise I was served waffles and pizza crust made with pure white rice flour and no gum. In 13 years, I have never had a gluten free product that tasted any worse than those I was served. This will not stop me from cruising with Celebrity but I will continue to hope for better.

Celebrity does provide nicely for gluten free but they could improve in some areas. Love the symbols on the dinner menu, they do make for a more pleasant dining experience.

Yes, sorry but my info was second hand as my brother is the coeliac and he said it was great in the MDR and the specialty restaurants when we cruised together last Easter and also what another friend with allergies and coeliac had stated to me on the last cruise. Obviously, they can go further still. :D

Edited by MicCanberra

• 2 weeks later...

I found this thread informative - thanks.

Cheryl is trying the GF route for three months, and already noticed marked GI improvements in just the first few days. It's truly amazing how gluten makes its way into so many foods... kind of like the way added sugars do (and I'm including all those added "natural" versions as well)!

The only GF breads we've tried were on the Carnival Freedom last week. I DEFINITELY hope that all GF breads are not as dry and crumbly as those were! :eek:

Tom

My wife has Celiac, just back, she did not get sick one time. She pre looked at the menus a couple of time, everything is marked. The only short coming was the desert selection, no flourless chocolate cake like on RCCL, and had to ask our waiter for gluten free bread every night. They even made her eggs benedict on the gluten free bread!

Gluten free crêpes with a 30 minute request. Her GF pizza at the Lawn Club was better than my regular pizza!!

One of the best dining experiences on ship she has had since finding out she had Celiac in 2003!

Edited by wallie5446

I just finished a gluten free week on the Reflection and it was the best cruise dining experience I've had.

I have celiac and have to be very careful with what I eat. In Blu, the waiters were careful to point out everything that was gluten free, offered me gluten free bread nightly, and asked the chef to prepare some dishes just for me.

The Oceanview cafe has plenty of options (GF toast and pizza were always available) and any of the options were labeled in other areas ( Aquaspa cafe). The Porch and Bostro on Five didn't have very many options for me, but I never went hungry and didn't have any celiac issues on the entire cruise.

I've been on other cruise lines where I had to eat plain grilled chicken breast with a baked potato for every dinner. I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy soups, sauces, and a a variety of delicious dishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finished a gluten free week on the Reflection and it was the best cruise dining experience I've had.

I have celiac and have to be very careful with what I eat. In Blu, the waiters were careful to point out everything that was gluten free, offered me gluten free bread nightly, and asked the chef to prepare some dishes just for me.

The Oceanview cafe has plenty of options (GF toast and pizza were always available) and any of the options were labeled in other areas ( Aquaspa cafe). The Porch and Bostro on Five didn't have very many options for me, but I never went hungry and didn't have any celiac issues on the entire cruise.

I've been on other cruise lines where I had to eat plain grilled chicken breast with a baked potato for every dinner. I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy soups, sauces, and a a variety of delicious dishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the report - good to hear!

I trust the cruise was very good in other ways too! :)

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

Thank you for the information! I am also gluten-free and will be sailing on the Eclipse next week. You mentioned that GF toast and pizza were always available in the Oceanview Cafe. Were these items already out and labeled as such or did you have to ask for them/request them in advance? I was thinking of bringing my own GF bread onboard that I could bring to the OC and toast myself, but wasn't sure if toasters for passenger use are available.

Thank you for the information! I am also gluten-free and will be sailing on the Eclipse next week. You mentioned that GF toast and pizza were always available in the Oceanview Cafe. Were these items already out and labeled as such or did you have to ask for them/request them in advance? I was thinking of bringing my own GF bread onboard that I could bring to the OC and toast myself, but wasn't sure if toasters for passenger use are available.

Celebrity does not have toasters available for passenger use. From experience, I have not found a dedicated toaster in the buffett area.