Fogged out of Houston

Nauticat42

Fog is common in the winter in Houston, especially on the coast. The airports are further inland (especially IAH) but even they can get socked in at times.

Good to know. Thanks.......

I booked my 2 hour flight to land in Houston (IAH) about 9 a.m. on the day of my cruise. (In the past for cruises out of Florida, NOLA, etc., I've always flown in the day before. I decided not to this time. Hopefully, there will still be plenty of time in getting to Galveston, even with a possible fog delay.....upon returning from my cruise, I booked a 6 p.m. flight, knowing there could be problems with docking, due to fog)

Ok..stress queen that I am..reading all the posts about fog under the princess board and these..I am sailing in jan-mar and flying out at 2! I can't sit here for two months stressing about fog making me miss my flight so I remade the flight for the next day:p

Ok..stress queen that I am..reading all the posts about fog under the princess board and these..I am sailing in jan-mar and flying out at 2! I can't sit here for two months stressing about fog making me miss my flight so I remade the flight for the next day:p

Sounds fun! Enjoy the time! Better safe than wishing you had made that decision. Just think, your vacation time will be extended, love it!;)

You are smart. We had fog coming back from a New Year's cruise a couple of years ago and half the family missed their afternoon flights. Getting off the RCCL ship was a nightmare with long lines when they finally got started. It was 1:00 a.m. when those of us were driving got back to Dallas. Now you can relax and not have to worry about it.

Is it Southwest?

I have been hearing they have much friendlier change policies than other lines.

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Southwest currently doesn't have a change fee associated like the big legacy airlines do. But they will charge the difference in fare, if the flight you're changing to is higher...or give you a credit if it happens to be lower. That and the free bags are the reasons most are choosing Southwest these days. jmho....

I've only cruised twice; once in February and once in January. Both were fog delayed out of Galveston. You just never know until you wake up in the morning what you're going to get.

Southwest and its change policies are good things, plus Hobby is closer to the ports.

Does the fog situation get any better as you head into March?

Only mother nature knows.

When you travel anywhere,

expect delays.

Make your plans

Buy insurance

Enjoy your cruise

Patience is essential, attitude is everything.

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond

the imperfections of you’re expectations

Edited by ssb

I've cruised twice out of Galveston - first time was about a week before Christmas - fog delay for 22 hours (finally left at 3:00 p.m. +/- Monday). But no delay upon arrival. Second time was the Sunday after Thanksgiving. No delays either way.

And the poster above is right that Southwest does not charge a change fee but you will have to pay the current fare, which is always going to be much higher the day of the flight than what your original fare was.

Just got a text (10:30pm, 12/20/13) from friends aboard Caribbean Princess now. Due to predicted bad weather, the ship hurried back towards Houston...but didn't make it to Galveston Bay before it was closed due to weather. Now expected to dock 11 pm, Saturday night and disembark Sunday morn. So folks heading out for the Christmas cruise won't be happy, they will loose a day and those folks disembarking a day later than expected who miss their flights will have real trouble finding flights this holiday week. Ugh, no way to end a vacation and start Christmas!

Keep in mind the information given herein has been received from passengers aboard and is not information being issued by the cruise line. While I have no doubt that my friends are reporting what they have been told, I do know that situations like this are fluid and everything could change by morning.

MerryMerry!