Manhattan Cruise Terminal Hotels

XLRATION

Greetings fellow Cruise Critics.

It is that time again for me to plan our family cruise and we have opted to try something entirely different and new.

Next year we are looking to try a Carnival cruise as a family departing from New York.

What I am looking for from everyone is some great advise and suggestions on which hotel to stay at pre departure as well as parking arrangements for our vehicle during the cruise.

We have sailed a couple times out of Bayonne and used the Hilton Garden Park and Sail package which worked out perfect and ideally we would like something like this again but in New York so we can arrive a couple days ahead of time to explore the city. We would also consider parking at the terminal for the duration even though the rates seem extremely high.

So to those who have driven to Manhattan for your cruise could you please tell us about your arrangements and experiences.

the midtown Times Square are, does put you in the center of Manhattan with easy access to the port and attractions. I stay near Herald Square at the La Quinta most of the time due to favorable rates and racking up hotel points for Jazz Fest in New Orleans. :)

I don't stay in New Jersey if I want to tour Manhattan. :)

the midtown Times Square are, does put you in the center of Manhattan with easy access to the port and attractions. I stay near Herald Square at the La Quinta most of the time due to favorable rates and racking up hotel points for Jazz Fest in New Orleans. :)

I don't stay in New Jersey if I want to tour Manhattan. :)

Thanks. I have stayed at La Quinta's before and also collect oints thru them so I will look into it. Do you know if they offer a park and sail package or do you leave your vehicle at the pier?

Thanks. I have stayed at La Quinta's before and also collect oints thru them so I will look into it. Do you know if they offer a park and sail package or do you leave your vehicle at the pier?

There are no hotels in Manhattan that offer a park/cruise package. Parking at Manhattan hotels is generally very expensive...more than the $35 per night charged at the cruise terminal. In general it's not a good idea to plan on parking in Manhattan during a hotel stay. There is only one Manhattan hotel that offers free parking while you're a guest at the hotel (but again, not while you're cruising), the Travel Inn on West 42nd St.

While I can't argue with Budget's Queen's advice to stay in Manhattan if you want to explore Manhattan, the truth is that anyone who is familiar with her advice knows she advocates taking mass transit into Manhattan, not driving in, so her advice to you seems a bit off the mark given that you've stated you're driving in.

Here's something you may want to consider. Pre-cruise stay at a hotel in Secaucus, NJ, which is just outside of NY City. From there you can take NJ Transit trains one stop into Penn Station in midtown on your sightseeing days, then on the morning of your cruise it will be just a quick drive to the cruise terminal.

Edited by njhorseman

There are no hotels in Manhattan that offer a park/cruise package. Parking at Manhattan hotels is generally very expensive...more than the $35 per night charged at the cruise terminal. In general it's not a good idea to plan on parking in Manhattan during a hotel stay. There is only one Manhattan hotel that offers free parking while you're a guest at the hotel (but again, not while you're cruising), the Travel Inn on West 42nd St.

While I can't argue with Budget's Queen's advice to stay in Manhattan if you want to explore Manhattan, the truth is that anyone who is familiar with her advice knows she advocates taking mass transit into Manhattan, not driving in, so her advice to you seems a bit off the mark given that you've stated you're driving in.

Here's something you may want to consider. Pre-cruise stay at a hotel in Secaucus, NJ, which is just outside of NY City. From there you can take NJ Transit trains one stop into Penn Station in midtown on your sightseeing days, then on the morning of your cruise it will be just a quick drive to the cruise terminal.

Thanks for the advice, I think we will look into this option. We were considering a day or 2 in a hotel in Mahattan then travel back out of the city the eve of our embarkation and get a park and sail hotel.

Looking into the NY hotels, the average seems to be about $250/night plus about $50 for parking.

The cost is not my biggest determing factor, I think time and safety are more important but if I am going to resort to public transit since most hotels I looked at offer parking that has no in and out option, I may as well stay in NJ and commute in. I think using the subways, taxis etc is all part of the NY experience anyway. :)

I have been doing some Googling and I think that we are going to look at using the Country Inn and Suites. They offer a good rate and free parking through the duration of your cruise.

Shuttle service is independant and you reserve it through a limo service. The 4 of us would be $75 each way. We may hae another family join us so it could be less.

This hotel came highly recommended on the Royal Carribean boards when we booked Explorer of the Seas in 2010 and 2012. We went with Hilton Garden which was also recommended but I had a corporate dscount I could apply. In retrospect the Country Inn may have been a better option considering all the extra costs we incurred crossing the bridges on and off Staten Island.

I have been doing some Googling and I think that we are going to look at using the Country Inn and Suites. They offer a good rate and free parking through the duration of your cruise.

Shuttle service is independant and you reserve it through a limo service. The 4 of us would be $75 each way. We may hae another family join us so it could be less.

This hotel came highly recommended on the Royal Carribean boards when we booked Explorer of the Seas in 2010 and 2012. We went with Hilton Garden which was also recommended but I had a corporate dscount I could apply. In retrospect the Country Inn may have been a better option considering all the extra costs we incurred crossing the bridges on and off Staten Island.

I'm confused. Are you considering this for just the night before your cruise, or for all of the pre-cruise visit? It isn't a very conveniently-located hotel for going into Manhattan for sightseeing. By mass transit it would be a long and inconvenient trip and by limo service it would be very expensive for repeated visits to NY. The hotel is convenient if you're cruising from Cape Liberty, but not if you're cruising from NY (and sightseeing in NY).

I'm confused. Are you considering this for just the night before your cruise, or for all of the pre-cruise visit? It isn't a very conveniently-located hotel for going into Manhattan for sightseeing. By mass transit it would be a long and inconvenient trip and by limo service it would be very expensive for repeated visits to NY. The hotel is convenient if you're cruising from Cape Liberty, but not if you're cruising from NY (and sightseeing in NY).

I was considering booking all our days there but thank you for the heads up. We will keep looking.

As already noted, I do not drive into Manhattan. But the La Quinta does have some kind of parking. You may want to just call them directly and inquire what their rates and location is?

An alternative- suggestion only- Ontario is a big area, so may not at all be convenient - but if you are able to take the NYS Thruway- there is a well recommended bus into Manhattan, from Albany, also driving to New Paltz and Poughkeepsi, you can take Metro North for about $33 round trip pp, with parking about $6.50 per day with free weekends. You possibility can also, take rt 17 (has a new number, now I think?) to Binghamton, cheap long term parking available and the cheap Mega Bus to Port Authority.

Just suggestions, to perhaps consider.

Edited by Budget Queen

Heres another option for you. since you are coming from the north you might want to check out these 2 hotels.

http://hamptoninnyonkers1-px.trvlclick.com/?utm_source=travelclick&utm_medium=cpc

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hpnyk-residence-inn-yonkers-westchester-county/

these 2 hotels are basically across the street from one another and are very easy to drive to. They are both close to the metro north and i believe both offer shuttles to and from the metro north station so its an easy train ride into and out of manhattan for sightseeing. Also if you are planning on parking at the port its an easy 25-30 min drive straight down the saw mill/henry hudson pkwy to the port. I dont believe they have any kind of shuttle service to the port but you may be able to leave your car there but you'd have to ask. if you do this you would either have to take metro north to grand central then cab to port or arrange a car service.

We have booked Embassy Suites in Secaucus, NJ. They have a park and cruise package, which includes the nights stay or more if you are coming in a few days before, free made to order breakfast, parking for the duration of the cruise, and includes transportation to the Manhattan cruise pier for up to four people.

Very convenient to tour Manhattan from there, the bus stops right in front of the hotel and takes you right in to Times square.

The hotel also mentioned we could negotiate with the transport company that takes us to the pier to arrange a pick up as well for a fee.

Hope this helps. This was the only hotel I have found that includes transportation to the pier, all others are on your own and can be pricey. I like to know what to expect to pay before going anywhere. ;)

ok, so change my first line to "coming from route 80". still very easy to get to.

Why would you recommend crossing the GW Bridge and going north into Westchester County when there are numerous hotels the OP could use in NJ that don't require them to go out of their way ? Surely these hotels are not so much cheaper or better than any number of others that wouldn't require a detour off their route?

Why would you recommend crossing the GW Bridge and going north into Westchester County when there are numerous hotels the OP could use in NJ that don't require them to go out of their way ? Surely these hotels are not so much cheaper or better than any number of others that wouldn't require a detour off their route?

well it is a slight detour (approx. 11 miles from the GW), but they are leaving from manhattan. had they been leaving from bayonne i would not have suggested them. also there is very easy access to manhattan from either via metro north and it is a very easy drive to the port from them. are they much cheaper? probably not, they are probably less than some, more than others. just giving other options.

Edited by boo214

We have booked Embassy Suites in Secaucus, NJ. They have a park and cruise package, which includes the nights stay or more if you are coming in a few days before, free made to order breakfast, parking for the duration of the cruise, and includes transportation to the Manhattan cruise pier for up to four people.

Very convenient to tour Manhattan from there, the bus stops right in front of the hotel and takes you right in to Times square.

The hotel also mentioned we could negotiate with the transport company that takes us to the pier to arrange a pick up as well for a fee.

Hope this helps. This was the only hotel I have found that includes transportation to the pier, all others are on your own and can be pricey. I like to know what to expect to pay before going anywhere. ;)

You can pick up the HoHo bus in front of the Marriott marquis hotel which is only a couple of blocks away from the bus terminal. You can also catch the E subway down to the World Trade Center