Hotel location question for Manhattan pier

Canadianweaselette

I am finally starting to look at hotels for our March break cruise and I am so confused about what location is best.

We are taking the train in to Penn Station. .. arriving at about 5 om on Friday. The cruise leaves Saturday morning. We don't plan to do much sightseeing as there won't be a lot of time.

When looking at the hotel booking sites they give you locations such add Hells Kitchen, Chelsea and Times Square. I have no idea what location would be best. It will be my husband, 7 year old son and myself. We want somewhere safe and convenient. We would want to be able to go for dinner Friday night and grab a quick breakfast on Saturday if it wasn't included with the hotel.

Please help me narrow down the search area.

Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

I see you are coming from Ontario, so I'll share what we did. Stayed at a Best Western in Albany and travelled to the port by Yankee Trails just outside of Albany. We left the car there for the week. They leave there about 7 am, arriving at the port about 11. It was much much cheaper and less stressful. Yankee Tours do this trip weekly. In fact, we slept out way into nyc. Just another option.

Bonnie

there are some hotels in Hells Kitchen that are just a short walk to the cruise pier.

Yes, and several new ones have been built in recent years. Also, despite the ominous name (Midtown West is what the real estate developers would like to rename it, but no one who lives here seems to be paying much attention to that), Hell's Kitchen is actually a charming area (especially between 9th & 10th Avenues from 43rd Street north), with parks, community gardens, and lots of restaurants in all price ranges. It's also only a block or two from Times Square and many of the Broadway theaters.

Edited by Langoustine

My daughter and I also used Yankee Trails Bus Service. We drove from Rochester, NY, to Albany the afternoon before our cruise. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Rensselaer, NY, which was about one mile from the Yankee Trails Bus terminal. We grabbed a breakfast sandwich at McDonalds on the way by and were at the bus stop about 6:45 AM. We boarded the motorcoach and we in NY City about 11 AM. It was a great service and I would do it again in a minute rather that drive into the city and park at the pier. The cost was $80 a person round trip. Great deal.

I am finally starting to look at hotels for our March break cruise and I am so confused about what location is best.

We are taking the train in to Penn Station. .. arriving at about 5 om on Friday. The cruise leaves Saturday morning. We don't plan to do much sightseeing as there won't be a lot of time.

When looking at the hotel booking sites they give you locations such add Hells Kitchen, Chelsea and Times Square. I have no idea what location would be best. It will be my husband, 7 year old son and myself. We want somewhere safe and convenient. We would want to be able to go for dinner Friday night and grab a quick breakfast on Saturday if it wasn't included with the hotel.

Please help me narrow down the search area.

Thanks!

I stay near Heralds Square at the La Quinta. Would be a 2 (long) block walk from Penn Station. Rates are usually pretty good for Manhattan. They do have a continental breakfast included.

Thank you for the suggestions on both travel and hotel. We are definitely taking the train all the way from Buffalo.

I will do some more searching in the areas mentioned and hopefully find the v right place. My husband liked b the location of the La Quinta because it's in the heart of Korea town. He really wants proper Korean BBQ.

• 2 weeks later...

Consider the Fairfield Inn at 325 West 33rd. I'm staying there now for my cruise that leaves tomorrow. Right across the street from Penn Station, and a decent breakfast is included. It is a pretty new hotel so the rooms are nice and clean. They are smaller than what I'm used to but that's New York. Taxi to the port should be about $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion oceanseagle12. The hotel and it's location seems great but unfortunately the price is a bit more than we've budgeted for :(

We really need it to come in under $250 including taxes. .. ideally closer to $200.

Edited by Canadianweaselette

Have you checked Hotwire? For March 7 there are quite a number of hotels in the midtown areas with high approval ratings that would be in the $200 range including tax. You should be looking at Midtown Central, Chelsea, Times Square, Empire State, and Madison Square Garden areas. Cross reference the amenities to Betterbidding.com to see what the possibilities are.

The sheer number of NYC hotels is overwhelming! Given your time frame I don't think it really matters where you stay as long as the hotel is within your budget and has a high approval rating. The hotels in the areas I mentioned will be a short cab ride from Penn Station and the pier. These are also safe area and will have some sort of food available. Most hotels do not offer breakfast, but you can just pick up a bagel or donut and coffee since you will be getting lunch on the ship.

Recommend Holiday Inn Manhattan West between 10th and 11th on 48th. New hotel in June. Clean and comfortable, but rooms are small. Breakfast is included and quite good. There is also a new Comfort Inn in the neighborhood. Short taxi ride to pier 88.

Does anyone have info on the Holiday Inn that NCL uses and is listed as a hotel option on their web site? It is the Holiday Inn Midtown and they also list the Hotel Novoel NY Times Square. I have not called for prices yet but they list the HI "From" $159 and the Novotel "From" $189. Of course they will provide transportation from the hotel to the pier for the cruise.

Thanks for any info you may have.

Paula

Does anyone have info on the Holiday Inn that NCL uses and is listed as a hotel option on their web site? It is the Holiday Inn Midtown and they also list the Hotel Novoel NY Times Square. I have not called for prices yet but they list the HI "From" $159 and the Novotel "From" $189. Of course they will provide transportation from the hotel to the pier for the cruise.

Paula

You do realize that the price is per person and not per room?

Paula

As Got2Cruise pointed out, this is likely to be a per person rate. Hotwire has a bunch of hotels in the $200 per room tax included range with an 85% or higher approval rating in the Times Square, Hells Kitchen, Midtown Central, or Empire State areas. For most of these areas a cab to the pier would be no more than $15-20. Why would you want to pay absolute top dollar for a Holiday Inn or Novotel and then be herded like cattle on your pier transfer?

Thanks... I do realize it is per person. Does anyone have any personal knowledge of these hotels? I have stayed in NYC quite a few times in the past but never to go on a cruise from there. Your suggestion about the cab instead of the pier transport by the cruise line is excellent. Thank you.

Paula

What's you budget? How many people? What sized bed?

The LNF Marriott policy could work well for you. aa.com has the Algonquin on July 27 for $234.49 plus tax for a queen and the rack rate is $579. If you make a reservation directly with them at $579 and then apply for the LNF, you have a good chance of getting the room at 25% off the $234 price.

Find a lower hotel rate and we’ll match it + give you an extra 25% discount.

There are few guarantees in life. But our Look No Further® Best Rate Guarantee is one of the best. It assures that you’ll always get the best rate available when you book directly with Marriott®. Here’s how it works:

Book a Marriott room using any Marriott reservation channel (Marriott.com, Marriott Hotel Telephone Reservations, or directly at a hotel).

If within 24 hours of making your reservation, you find a lower hotel rate for the same hotel, room type and reservation dates, and submit a qualified claim form, we’ll match the rate + give you an extra 25% discount on the room.

I would like to stay under $300 for the room per night (I may go in a couple of nights early and catch a show). Since I travel solo it should work out fine. As far as bed size, heck I am about 5'2" tall so that is not a factor :D

As a solo traveler I would definitely pursue the Marriott LNF option. The Algonquin would be great for you - an iconic hotel very close to Times Square as well as 5th Ave. IMO a much nicer location than any of the Holiday Inns or the Novotel. The HI's are a bit too far west for me.

I'd check the NCL prices - I have a feeling that the per person rates assume double occupancy, which would make them very expensive options.