Celebrity and RC

mlmbar

Planning a cruise for Nov 2014 to coincide with a wedding in San Juan. Thinking about Jewel or Celebrity Summit. We are two nights away from Platinum on RC.

A few questions - how does C&A status transfer to Celebrity? Anyone have experience on either ships? How is Celebrity in comparison to RC. OnLy cruising experience is on Oasis and Allure and our first cruise on Carnival, which we will never return to.

Planning a cruise for Nov 2014 to coincide with a wedding in San Juan. Thinking about Jewel or Celebrity Summit. We are two nights away from Platinum on RC.

A few questions - how does C&A status transfer to Celebrity? Anyone have experience on either ships? How is Celebrity in comparison to RC. OnLy cruising experience is on Oasis and Allure and our first cruise on Carnival, which we will never return to.

You are Gold. There are no Celebrity benefits when you are Gold on Royal Caribbean. Reciprocity does not kick in until Platinum, when you are considered Select. At Diamond, you are considered Elite.

I think you'll enjoy both; they are both smaller ships.

In my opinion, Celebrity is slightly more upscale...you won't find belly flop contests on the pool deck or a Quest game at night. You'll also find more live music in the early evening and a passenger base that is more likely to follow the dress code.

We enjoy the small touches on Celebrity that RCCL doesn't have; drinks and cold towels on the pier before boarding the ship on a port day, champagne on arrival, waiters in the buffet who carry your tray to a table. The adults only solarium with the thalassotherapy pool is WONDERFUL and so much better than RCCL's adults only area. Celebrity is our choice when we're cruising without kids.

Edited by micmacmissy

Will we still get "points" on Celebrity? In other words, will we move to Platinum while we are on Celebrity?

No, cruises on one line do not earn points (or credits) on the other line.

The only thing that may happen is you may move up on Celebrity enough to be eligible for reciprocal recognition on Royal. In other words, if you earn enough credits on Celebrity to move up to Select on Celebrity, then you can get Platinum status on Royal.

Will we still get "points" on Celebrity? In other words, will we move to Platinum while we are on Celebrity?

Actually, no. What happens is once you have reached a new level on either Celebrity or RC, then that new level will bump you up on the other line. My husband and I switch between Celebrity and RC and we love them both for different reasons. We were a little confused on how that works when we first started too. Sadly, it's not a combined count between the two lines. If that were the case, we'd probably be Diamond Plus by now... ;)

I agree with the previous responder that Celebrity is a different atmosphere then RC and the service is a little more upscale, however, both lines have amazing staff and you will enjoy your cruise regardless of which one you choose.

I have to agree with the other posters regarding RCCL vs Celebrity. IMHO Celebrity wins hands down. We've flipped flopped among most cruise lines for the last 20 years and last month took our first, (won't be our last), Celebrity cruise. No bells, no whistles, NO PROBLEM! Didn't for one minute miss the belly flop contests, ice skating, rock wall, surfing, etc.. We truly enjoyed the leisure of what we now believe is true cruising. Relaxed and enjoyable. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Also, powdered eggs. I had never eaten powdered eggs until I boarded a RCCL ship for the first time and my expression of absolute horror is a joke with my friends many years later. :D I didn't even know that such things existed. At Celebrity eggs are real.

Also, powdered eggs. I had never eaten powdered eggs until I boarded a RCCL ship for the first time and my expression of absolute horror is a joke with my friends many years later. :D I didn't even know that such things existed. At Celebrity eggs are real.

RC does not serve powdered eggs. :)

If what you loved about your three cruises on Oasis and Allure was all of the entertainment and activities and sense that there is always something going on somewhere on the ship that you want to be a part of, there is no Celebrity ship that can match that.

We were on both ships this past summer. Jewel is a gorgeous ship, no doubt, with all of its glass and spectacular views, and the outdoor area in the rear of the Windjammer. However, it was also the most boring ship we've ever been on. Entertainment and activities were definitely lacking, and the production show (which we usually enjoy very much) were awful.

We were very surprised by how much we loved the Summit! The quality and quantity of live entertainment all over the ship blew us away! The ship is beautiful, the MDR experience was better (service-wise). There were officers greeting people at the entrance to the theatre and MDR every evening, and it came across as a more spirited and enthusiastic crew. One weakness is the buffet, which lacked the variety and availability of the buffet on RCI ships.

Neither ship is going to live up to the offerings on Oasis/Allure - no ship afloat is anything like these two. But, if I had to choose between the Jewel and the Summit, based upon our experiences on each this past summer, hands down I would choose the Summit.

Edited by DonnaK

We were on both ships this past summer. Jewel is a gorgeous ship, no doubt, with all of its glass and spectacular views, and the outdoor area in the rear of the Windjammer. However, it was also the most boring ship we've ever been on. Entertainment and activities were definitely lacking, and the production show (which we usually enjoy very much) were awful.

We were very surprised by how much we loved the Summit! The quality and quantity of live entertainment all over the ship blew us away! The ship is beautiful, the MDR experience was better (service-wise). There were officers greeting people at the entrance to the theatre and MDR every evening, and it came across as a more spirited and enthusiastic crew. One weakness is the buffet, which lacked the variety and availability of the buffet on RCI ships.

Neither ship is going to live up to the offerings on Oasis/Allure - no ship afloat is anything like these two. But, if I had to choose between the Jewel and the Summit, based upon our experiences on each this past summer, hands down I would choose the Summit.

Of course, if you choose Jewel, you will be Platinum when you finish. :D

If what you loved about your three cruises on Oasis and Allure was all of the entertainment and activities and sense that there is always something going on somewhere on the ship that you want to be a part of, there is no Celebrity ship that can match that.

Ironically, we are not show goers. We have no been to any show on Oasis and Allure other than the water show. We are pretty much into relaxing, dining, music and ports.

Thank you so much for the awesome comparison. You have given us some real concrete comparisons and a lot to think about. VERY helpful!

I think you should give Celebrity a try. You'll never know, otherwise. I've never been on Jewel or Summit, only AOS and Century, but I love both lines for different reasons. Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

In my experience there is a more pampering and fine-dining type atmosphere on Celebrity which makes a perfect romantic holiday for two. Century was hardly sedate, however. They had the King of the Century competition and Sexiest Legs competition around the pool. We met some partiers on our Celebrity cruises. Not 20 year-old partiers, however.

BTW: the southern carib is awesome! We are doing AOS this next January. We cruise RCI now b/c we are a family of 3 with a 12 year-old. It has something for all of us. If I were to take a cruise with my dh only however (and that is never going to happen for a while as dd would never forgive us) I would probably choose Celebrity.

Koohiichan

Powdered or not, the scrambled eggs of Allure were AWFUL! Cold and tasteless both from room service and in the Windjammer

Just got off Allure and were were on Royal Princess and Silhouette. Sorry to say that Allure's Windjammer does not compare to either of those other ships we were on. In fact the food on Allure was OK, but really poor compare to the other two ships. Windjammer was very poor in selection, quality and overall arrangement of food. We would rate Allure's food as 3rd when compare to the other two ships/cruise lines.

Just got off Allure and were were on Royal Princess and Silhouette. Sorry to say that Allure's Windjammer does not compare to either of those other ships we were on. In fact the food on Allure was OK, but really poor compare to the other two ships. Windjammer was very poor in selection, quality and overall arrangement of food. We would rate Allure's food as 3rd when compare to the other two ships/cruise lines.

The Oasis class has hands down the worst Windjammers in the fleet IMHO. We were on the Splendour OTS in June and it was refreshing to once again have a nice Windjammer with good food and not a mad house.

To the OP, I really like RCI but like Celebrity even more. Only one announcement per day and that's the Captain's daily update. No annoying Bingo or Belly Flop announcements. Food was better across the board on X. Very few children on board. A much tighter smoking policy on Celebrity. I look at Celebrity as RCI for grown ups. Try it you may be pleasantly surprised. I will cruise with RCI again on an Oasis class due to being unique or try one of the Quantum class ships to see how we like them but for the time being X is the way to go for us.

Edited by cruisingator2

I have a group of friends who love RCCL, therefore I travel with them and we have immense fun. But I prefer X, being an adult with no children. I think that for the price difference, it's worth it for the better food alone. But then you also get a calmer environment, and not necessarily dopey. It really is for grown-ups like cruisinggator2 said.

I am diamond on RCCL and did the Solictice a few years ago, it is a beautiful ship, but food and service in MDR was bad ( we had a new waiter ) entree did not arrive till past 10pm on 1st night , some people just left before it arrived. Perfer entertainment on RCCL, if you do not like smoke this is the line for you. Specialty resturants on Solictice were amazing. We will try them again sooner or later. ( we were also upgraded to a suite)

I LOVE this thread. My husband and I will be taking our third cruise on Liberty in February and are already planning the next one...I know, I know :eek:

We are tentatively planning the Caribbean for October or November of next year. My husband kind if wants to go on the Oasis, I was considering switching to Celebrity but was really unsure since we have only been on RCI.

After reading the posts...I think that a switch to Celebrity is in order.

Thank you all VERY much!

It's funny. I have read numerous threads which state that Celebrity has a better kids program that Royal, and yet so many other people refer to it as the more adult friendly line. From the descriptions, Celebrity fits my wife and I to a tee - we are not looking to party, we just want a relaxing experience. We don't need lots of bells and whistles. We went to a couple of shows, and they were fine. After spending three vacations in London, it would be hard for any ship to match the shows we saw in West End. But, we are traveling with our son, who is just 4. I almost switched to Summit last year after the Grandeur fire (in case it wasn't fixed in time), but we sailed on Grandeur and loved it. We booked another cruise on her for next year, but now are debating whether we should switch to a different ship. I would love Celebrity, but feel that by bringing my son onboard, I might upset most of those who sail on her....lol