Favorite foods in MDR at dinner?

samzgirl84

Some of the highlights for me were the duck, the garlic soup, the scallop and chorizo (order two!), the fish rillettes, the horseradish salmon, the shrimp ravioli (the sauce is the lobster bisque from the starters menu), the tiger shrimp, the bread and butter pudding, the BBB Creme Brulee, and most of the fruit soups (I know it sounds weird, but trust me!). The biggest surprise hit was the vegetarian artichoke crepes -- I usually never even looked at the vegetarian dishes, but the crepes were amazingly rich and delicious.

Also, make sure to try the savory bites from the bread basket.

There's a whole thread on this topic at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1863590

Edited by ahecht

the fruit crumble desserts were very good. The lobster tail on my cruise was the best I've had at sea in a MDR (can't say the same for the shrimps that came with it though). My mother really enjoyed the lamb dishes.

My dad ordered a side steak every night (medium) in case he didn't like his original selection; each night he ended up eating most of his "adventurous" selection and most of his steak.

I love love love the English Cheddar Cheese Sticks (which are like fried mozzarella sticks, but with cheddar and oh so much better). They are part of the Sage menu...which seems to be the transmogrification of British night.

I have not experienced the new menus yet, but I always like the Indian selections that are offered. They are often vegetarian. I also enjoy the escargot (when available), the garlic soup, the smoked fish dip (surprisingly), many of the deserts & the honey stung chicken in the Windjammer on embarkation day.

All of the soups were SO good. Definitely try one each night. The white chocolate mousse was really amazing, one of my favorite main dining room desserts all week. I just returned from Oasis and we ate in main dining room 6 nights and all our meals were good. Nothing stood out as OMG best thing ever and I should not miss it, but we had a nice dinner each night. I also had an appetizer i loved with eggplant and puff pastry- forget what it was. Also, we LOVE escargot and my husband had asked if they were going to have it all week, and out of nowhere arrived someone with 2 plates of it to surprise us. I guess they have a secret stash in back. it was great.

I enjoyed all of the fish entrees. My favorite dish was some type of ****ake mushroom dumpling or potsticker. It had an Asian name I wish I would have written it down, but it was so delicious, I had to have a second entrée that night.

I also thought the lobster tail, although small, was as good as any I have had.

Two of my favorites I only saw on Jewel in 2012. I wish they would go fleet wide. One was Jalapeno Potato Soup, the other was Parmesan encrusted Turkey breast.

On our first cruise (2006) they had a Caribbean theme night in the MDR. Talking to people here and elsewhere it was by far the least popular night. I saw an offering for a Jerk Chicken dish and didn't get it. The lady next to me did and it looked and was reported to be wonderful. By the time I cruised a 7 day cruise again in 2008 it was gone. It was the best dish I never had!

Two of my favorites I only saw on Jewel in 2012. I wish they would go fleet wide. One was Jalapeno Potato Soup, the other was Parmesan encrusted Turkey breast.

On our first cruise (2006) they had a Caribbean theme night in the MDR. Talking to people here and elsewhere it was by far the least popular night. I saw an offering for a Jerk Chicken dish and didn't get it. The lady next to me did and it looked and was reported to be wonderful. By the time I cruised a 7 day cruise again in 2008 it was gone. It was the best dish I never had!

I love the jalapeno potato soup!!! :D I don't remember which cruise I had it on, I believe it was either the Grandeur or the Enchantment. But I know for certain I could not find it offered on my last cruise. (EN in Sept 13)

Edited by superduper123

I've only had the old menu (and we have dietary restrictions, so we can only eat some stuff on the MDR menus anyway!), but I understand some stuff carried over. All the fruit soups were always awesome, and there was one fish dish... I think it was cod, with a beurre-blanc sauce that was out of this world! (I think that one is still on the menu, because I've seen it in reviews since the menu change over!)

We also really loved the creamy mushroom appetizer with the puff pastry. We were so glad that it was served again the next night in the windjammer so we could take as much as we wanted! :) I bet it would have been delicious scooped over the plain pasta they always have in the windjammer... but alas, we just ate big bowls full by itself :P

My husband and I are not very difficult people to please at meals, we almost always can find something we like to eat and it often is wonderful.

Foods we look forward to on our cruises are: shrimp cocktail, lobster bisque, scallop and chorizo, the shrimp ravioli -- just to name a few. I have ordered 3 shrimp cocktails with a baked potato for dinner rather than an entrée. Often times there are more things on the appetizer section than in the entrée section that interest me on a given night....and that is fine....I just order a few of them with a salad and dessert.

That brings me to dessert. I am a chocoholic...but most of the desserts are too gooey for me. So the dining room staff is ALWAYS wonderful, no matter what ship we are on....I ask for a few chocolate chip cookies with ice cream and they magically make it appear. I tell them on the first night that will be my nightly dessert and it always is ready....so so accommodating.

I personally enjoyed the Mojo pork chop on night 1. And I also enjoyed more than my fair share of Shrimp Cocktail.

On that subject, I had that for the first time with the new menu last April on Allure. I also thought it was excellent. I'm use to pork chops being hit and miss in restaurants and because of my stomach surgery, I am very sensitive to dry meats like chicken and pork.

When my chop came to me on Majesty last month, it was nearly 2" thick, which just screamed DRY LOOKING. But I was pleasantly surprised that it was not. 2 for 2.

One night the waiter recommended the lasagna. My wife and I wanted other entrees instead but when our food came the waiter had brought us a lasagna to try. I think it may have been the best lasagna I ever had. Highly recommended

I have had it twice with the new menu and agree. It was very very good. (Allure and Majesty)

One night the waiter recommended the lasagna. My wife and I wanted other entrees instead but when our food came the waiter had brought us a lasagna to try. I think it may have been the best lasagna I ever had. Highly recommended

We will be on Majesty next week, so we will have to try it.

I love the jalapeno potato soup!!! :D I don't remember which cruise I had it on, I believe it was either the Grandeur or the Enchantment. But I know for certain I could not find it offered on my last cruise. (EN in Sept 13)

They offer the jalapeno-potato soup on the Portobello menu. Not sure how they rotate it in, it wasn't on my 11 day in April.