Disappointed - UBP Blackouts for Spring Breaks

southt00

We finally talked friends into coming cruising with us. They typically do all inclusives but we were able to sway them since they launched the UBP because there was finally an 'all inclusive' option for alcoholic beverages. Not big drinkers, just like the easieness of it all.

I understand that there will be a blackout of the UBP for our cruise date (March2) and the package can't be bought. Do you think this is for financial reasons or safety reasons?

So disappointed.....and irritated.

T.

We finally talked friends into coming cruising with us. They typically do all inclusives but we were able to sway them since they launched the UBP because there was finally an 'all inclusive' option for alcoholic beverages. Not big drinkers, just like the easieness of it all.

I understand that there will be a blackout of the UBP for our cruise date (March2) and the package can't be bought. Do you think this is for financial reasons or safety reasons?

T.

We are disappointed too. But do understand from a business/legal point of view why NCL would impose the blackout.

. Do you think this is for financial reasons or safety reasons?

T.

I think it's a combination of both factors- the UBP was developed to make NCL money first and foremost and if it failed to do that it would be gone. The cruise lines know their demographics better than we do and NCL has probably studied this from every angle and they realize that during spring break they probably wouldn't make as much on UBP given the higher number of people that are drinking heavier than normal. I expect that they also look at the possibility of a greater amount of sharing happening which also cuts into the profit line. Other cruise lines with different demographics have different rules. (I don't think that CCL has a blackout but then they do impose a 15 drink per person per day limit on their program year round.)

The blackout period is Mar 1 thru Apr 15.

So I finally found the details on the UBP and the fine print states;

A 15% gratuity plus any applicable taxes will be added to all package purchases. Packages must be purchased b y all

qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire

length of the cruise. Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable. You must be at least 21

years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy.

Other terms and conditions may apply. Package not available for purchase March1-April 15, on 1-2 day sailings or

charters or Pride of America.

The way I read it, its just not available on cruise to nowhere and charters! meaning any cruise over 3 days that isn't chartered the package will be available! please tell me I'm right.

EDITED: I read and wrote this post while still half asleep... sorry. I know realize what it says and am now not happy that it won't be available on my cruise!

Edited by nutley chick

So I finally found the details on the UBP and the fine print states;

A 15% gratuity plus any applicable taxes will be added to all package purchases. Packages must be purchased b y all

qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire

length of the cruise. Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable. You must be at least 21

years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy.

Other terms and conditions may apply. Package not available for purchase March1-April 15, on 1-2 day sailings or

charters or Pride of America.

The way I read it, its just not available on cruise to nowhere and charters! meaning any cruise over 3 days that isn't chartered the package will be available! please tell me I'm right.

Sorry, there is a blackout from March 1 to April 15 in addition to not being available on 1-2 day sailings . . .

To late to change now. We are in suites and in the penalty timeframe. We also chose NCL for the Freestyle vs. Celebrity. May consider bringing our own wine now.

T.

You can also buy them an equivalent amount of onboard credit, $780 buys alot of alcohol, especially for a couple that just drinks a few a day.

Bringing your own bottles of wine is a good alternative as well, as NCL doesn't have a limit on how many you can carry on. Just a $15 per bottle corkage fee, that can be refunded if you don't drink/open the bottle by the end of the cruise.

T.

I can see your disappointment, but believe me, I think the line is doing the right thing, considering the ship will have a lot of college kids and families cruising. I do think March 2, might be a little early to place the restriction. Starting the next week will really be getting into Spring break. It is easier for the cruise line to black dates out than to try and convince someone who is drinking, no you can't have anymore, I don't care if you bought an all you can drink package.

You can also buy them an equivalent amount of onboard credit, $780 buys alot of alcohol, especially for a couple that just drinks a few a day.

Bringing your own bottles of wine is a good alternative as well, as NCL doesn't have a limit on how many you can carry on. Just a $15 per bottle corkage fee, that can be refunded if you don't drink/open the bottle by the end of the cruise.

What great advice, thanks :)

T.

I think that it is for financial reasons and because of the college crowds that the UBP attracts. If your friends are not big drinkers then this package is not for them anyways. Why would I pay $50 a day when I can buy 3 drinks for $25. Just tell them that the money they save will cover their daily service charge. They will be happy to sign a few bar receipts for that.:)

I can see your disappointment, but believe me, I think the line is doing the right thing, considering the ship will have a lot of college kids and families cruising.

Why do you say it's the right thing? Are you a shareholder trying to maximize their profit? If you think it will cut down on drinking, you'd be fooling yourself most of the time, especially with the college crowd.

Why do you say it's the right thing? Are you a shareholder trying to maximize their profit? If you think it will cut down on drinking, you'd be fooling yourself most of the time, especially with the college crowd.

I'm not sure they (NCL) wants to cut down on drinking. I think they want to control the drinking and maximize the profits. It stops drink sharing for free, and makes the kids purchase the drinks at full price. Smart move on the cruise lines part. Plus I think it might lessen NCL's liability, unlimited booze sounds pretty bad if there is a problem.

Seems to me that they are primarily thinking about cruises in the Caribbean and the Bahamas. And Mexico. I'm not sure if there is a significant Spring Break effect for European cruises or TAs, for example. (Is there?) If they get enough "older" passengers giving negative feedback they could decide to offer the UBP year-round in other regions. This package has been around for less than a year; I imagine that they're still looking carefully at ways to improve it.

Edited by hawkeyetlse