Midnight buffet?

When they did have those I could never figure out for the life of me how anyone could eat Mexican food at midnight.....:eek:

I have been on a few cruises the last few years that had the Mexican buffet at 11:30 - 12:30 AM. Although I must admit that I did not eat as much as I might have a few hours earlier, I have brought back a few tacos and other Mexican treats to share with my DW on the balcony as we listened the sound of the crashing waves. It was quite enjoyable, so long as you know your limits just before bed.

The last one I saw was 2007!

11020592934_2dbac55175.jpg

Copy of Cruise Nov. 2007 091 by ready2trip, on Flickr

11020435795_19b96bc440.jpg

Copy of Cruise Nov. 2007 100 by ready2trip, on Flickr11020592264_62ceaa50e0.jpg

Copy of Cruise Nov. 2007 094 by ready2trip, on Flickr

That's still the mini version of days gone by when the whole deck was covered. I miss them, but see the reasoning behind the extreme waste that occurs and all the man hours spent preparing the foods that mostly made it only into pictures.

I just looked back through the Fun Times for the Breeze, Conquest and Magic that I've been on this year and every night there is listed a Late Night Snacks from 11pm to 1am in the Hungry For More section.

I've never gone to the buffet during this time so I don't know what they actually serve.

That's still the mini version of days gone by when the whole deck was covered. I miss them, but see the reasoning behind the extreme waste that occurs and all the man hours spent preparing the foods that mostly made it only into pictures.

Gluttony and Greed showed up at every midnight buffet I have been to. Midnight buffets are apart of the cruising tradition that has fallen by the way side. I will check my Magic album but if there is no pics that means nothing memorable. Well, Princess had a lovely afternoon dessert buffet and Afternoon Tea, true artistry.

11020646383_2d85cd32f6.jpg

[/url] by ready2trip, on Flickr

Edited by Blk_Amish

Gluttony and Greed showed up at every midnight buffet I have been to. Midnight buffets are apart of the cruising tradition that has fallen by the way side. I will check my Magic album but if there is no pics that means nothing memorable. Well, Princess had a lovely afternoon dessert buffet and Afternoon Tea, true artistry.

11020646383_2d85cd32f6.jpg

by ready2trip, on Flickr

Not sure what midnight buffets you've attended, but I have distinct recall and pictures that showed the enormity of those midnight buffets of yore.

There was so much left over it was unbelievable. I'll give you the benefit though, my pictures may be from 2 other cruise lines as I think about it.

Not sure what midnight buffets you've attended, but I have distinct recall and pictures that showed the enormity of those midnight buffets of yore.

There was so much left over it was unbelievable. I'll give you the benefit though, my pictures may be from 2 other cruise lines as I think about it.

Well, thank you but I am pretty sure I have pics of greed and gluttony doing their thing. This buffet was on Carnival Elation (?) 2007, for sure. My first cruise on Carnival and it was everything I expected and more. Other midnight buffets were on RCL starting in 1994. I am sure this was more do to with budget cuts than people not pigging out. The food went faster than bacon in the buffet, which they are starting to cut back on.

When did they stop the extravagant buffet?

Edited by Blk_Amish

Well, thank you but I am pretty sure I have pics of greed and gluttony doing their thing. This buffet was on Carnival Elation (?) 2007, for sure. My first cruise on Carnival and it was everything I expected and more. Other midnight buffets were on RCL starting in 1994. I am sure this was more do to with budget cuts than people not pigging out. The food went faster than bacon in the buffet, which they are starting to cut back on.

When did they stop the extravagant buffet?

I guess we take pictures of different things. I took pictures of the "before":D

Most of the mainline cruise companies did away with the large scale midnight buffets because of all the wasted food that wasn't consumed. Some lines still have a small scale buffet that's usually open for an hour or so with a limited selection of finger foods and small sandwiches. The Mexican buffet is usually held on one night during the voyage which occurs during the open deck dance party celebration. The upscale midnight buffets of my earlier cruise days are a thing of the past. Some lines still have twenty four hour pizza service and room service is still available too!