Which one to choose

1badss

OK, so I am new to cruise critic, I have poked around a little and decided to join. I am however not a new cruiser. I have been on numerous cruises and getting ready for my 3rd this year. Here is my dilemma and hopefully some of the royal caribbean gurus can chime in.

We are looking at cruising to the caribbean next month. We are trying to choose from 2 different ships and are torn The two cruises are the brilliance of the seas leaving Tampa and going to key west and Cozumel. The other is the Liberty leaving out of Fort Lauderdale going to labadee and falmouth. I have one couple that it will be their first cruise and the other couple going it will be their 3rd and all 3 of theirs have been this year.

I have not been on the brilliance or any ship in that class. I have been on the monarch, the mariner and the liberty. My dilemma isn't the islands on the trip as much as ship decision. I was just in Ocho Rios last month on the Carnival Breeze so Falmouth doesn't really have much that Ocho Rios didn't have. We love Labadee Haiti for a chill spot and nice beach. At Key west we like the over all ambiance of the town and getting a electric car and stopping in some bars and in Cozumel we like the jeep excursion. We are honestly leaning toward the brilliance as the overall trip is cheaper with the flight and all. I am just wandering if I will be disappointed with the brilliance over the Liberty. I know that the ammenties don't compare but overall feel and things to do, I am just not sure. When on the liberty we didn't really get the full experience with flow rider, ice skating etc and I am wandering if I have left something behind there.

The 2nd couple with us went on the liberty with us in February and it was their first cruise. They went last month on the breeze and wasn't that impressed. I don't want this new couple we are taking to be disappointed nor do I want last months couple to be either.

Any insight on the 2 cruise ships would be very helpful. Also if it helps we are all in our 30's.

Thanks

I know a lot of people on these boards love the Radiance class (Brilliance), but we find them a bit small with less activity. We prefer the larger for now. Liberty is one of our favorites. Seems there is more going on and with the flow rider another activity to enjoy on the ship. Don't believe you can go wrong either way!!

OK, so I am new to cruise critic, I have poked around a little and decided to join. I am however not a new cruiser. I have been on numerous cruises and getting ready for my 3rd this year. Here is my dilemma and hopefully some of the royal caribbean gurus can chime in.

We are looking at cruising to the caribbean next month. We are trying to choose from 2 different ships and are torn The two cruises are the brilliance of the seas leaving Tampa and going to key west and Cozumel. The other is the Liberty leaving out of Fort Lauderdale going to labadee and falmouth. I have one couple that it will be their first cruise and the other couple going it will be their 3rd and all 3 of theirs have been this year.

I have not been on the brilliance or any ship in that class. I have been on the monarch, the mariner and the liberty. My dilemma isn't the islands on the trip as much as ship decision. I was just in Ocho Rios last month on the Carnival Breeze so Falmouth doesn't really have much that Ocho Rios didn't have. We love Labadee Haiti for a chill spot and nice beach. At Key west we like the over all ambiance of the town and getting a electric car and stopping in some bars and in Cozumel we like the jeep excursion. We are honestly leaning toward the brilliance as the overall trip is cheaper with the flight and all. I am just wandering if I will be disappointed with the brilliance over the Liberty. I know that the ammenties don't compare but overall feel and things to do, I am just not sure. When on the liberty we didn't really get the full experience with flow rider, ice skating etc and I am wandering if I have left something behind there.

The 2nd couple with us went on the liberty with us in February and it was their first cruise. They went last month on the breeze and wasn't that impressed. I don't want this new couple we are taking to be disappointed nor do I want last months couple to be either.

Any insight on the 2 cruise ships would be very helpful. Also if it helps we are all in our 30's.

Thanks

We have been on Liberty and Jewel (which is the same class as Brilliance) -- we enjoyed both. My disappointment with Jewel was that it did not have much late night food options. The Sea View café was supposed to be open after 10pm, but wasn't; Jewel did have an early morning breakfast bar open outside of Windjammer, for people who like cereal, breakfast drinks, pastries in the very early am before WJ opens and it was in an area that had nice seating so you look out over the horizon. The Solarium on Jewel was very nice. The Sea View café is located in the solarium, and during the day, it does have nice mid afternoon snack food, so you don have to walk to WJ.

We loved Liberty when we sailed on her...that is where we enjoyed the Flowrider, which of course Jewel doesn't have.

That is the best I can share with you a little comparison of Jewel to Brilliance.

Edited by Paulette3028

The Sea View café is located in the solarium, and during the day, it does have nice mid afternoon snack food, so you don have to walk to WJ.

This is just nit-picking, but since the Jewel is my all time favorite ship I have to correct this. As far as I know, the Sea View Cafe is still a deck above the WJ, not in the Solarium. I know there is a Solarium Cafe also.

We have not sailed on the Liberty so can't comment on it. We sailed on the Radiance of the Seas last year on our southbound Alaska cruise.

One thing we enjoyed was the smaller size compared to the Mariner of the Seas. The smaller size made it easier and quicker to get around the ship, as well as lines being a little shorter.

Also we liked the style and décor with the open, airy feel with a lot of glass where you could view the sea from different vantage points around the ship.

I like the Liberty, Ive been on her twice.. Both 7 day cruises back in the day. I was never disappointed.. I would have gone back but I need more than a 5 day cruise :)

Liberty is a great ship. I wish they would put it on Indy's 8/6 night itinerary and let Indy do the shorter sailings when it is in the US.

Our vote would be for Liberty as well - she's our favorite. A day in Labadee is a plus for Liberty as well...would take that over a short stop in Key West any day! We've done Radiance class before (and will again in March) but we'd do that class of ship only for port-intensive southern routes where it's more about the ports than the ship.

Edited by 1ParticularHbr

Thanks

I know this isn't answering your question but have you considered the oasis / allure option a destination in itself but they do visit st Thomas and st marten a little pricier but worth every penny for active 30 somethings either way good luck and happy cruising

I think it depends on what you think you will miss on Brilliance. If you will participate and enjoy the flow rider, then Liberty would have to be your choice. There is nothing comparable on the Brilliance.

Someone who has been on Liberty can tell you the shows that are available. There is an ice show, which is always good.

No matter which you choose you will have a wonderful time. Enjoy.

The Sea View café is located in the solarium, and during the day, it does have nice mid afternoon snack food, so you don have to walk to WJ.

This is just nit-picking, but since the Jewel is my all time favorite ship I have to correct this. As far as I know, the Sea View Cafe is still a deck above the WJ, not in the Solarium. I know there is a Solarium Cafe also.

My apologies, I confused the names....the café in the solarium had nice snacks all afternoon

OP, I have also never been on Brilliance of the Seas. And that was the biggest deciding factor between Liberty of the Seas and Brilliance of the Seas. (Same exact itineraries as a matter of fact)

I wanted to go with a smaller ship to get away from the masses of people you see on some of the bigger ships. My father has been on Radiance of the Seas twice in Alaska and he loves the ship. Says it is his favorite ship hands down and he has sailed outside of RCCL as well.

Reading everything on the boards, looking at pictures, and speaking with those who have sailed this class of ship, Brilliance of the Seas just seemed like a perfect fit for what I was looking for. So it was booked and here I sit, 22 days away.

The big ships are amazing, but the intimacy of the smaller ships is hard to beat sometimes.

Edited by G85 SS

OP, I have also never been on Brilliance of the Seas. And that was the biggest deciding factor between Liberty of the Seas and Brilliance of the Seas. (Same exact itineraries as a matter of fact)

I wanted to go with a smaller ship to get away from the masses of people you see on some of the bigger ships. My father has been on Radiance of the Seas twice in Alaska and he loves the ship. Says it is his favorite ship hands down and he has sailed outside of RCCL as well.

Reading everything on the boards, looking at pictures, and speaking with those who have sailed this class of ship, Brilliance of the Seas just seemed like a perfect fit for what I was looking for. So it was booked and here I sit, 22 days away.

The big ships are amazing, but the intimacy of the smaller ships is hard to beat sometimes.

The Radiance class ships hardly feel less crowded or give the feeling of getting away from the masses. I think the pool deck on Serenade felt the most crowded of any ship that I have been on and the pool on the Radiance class ships is way too small for the nember of people the ship carries. And when shows let out people are funneled through the shopping area on the ship which creates an amazing bottleneck.

This isn't to say that Radiance class ships are not nice ships to sail on but you should anticipate plenty of people for the size of the ship.

I've been on both. For the first time cruisers, I don't think they will be disappointed in the Brilliance, as it's a beautiful ship. That said, if I was going to choose between them, I would go for the Liberty and spend more time on board and less time on the islands.

New cruisers are gonna be blown away by either ship. If you have to have all the "bells and whistles" though, Liberty it is.

Personally, Id give Brilliance a chance since you have never been on a Radiance class ship. I think everyone should try that class one time.

Having read through the replies and having been on both classes of ships many times, My vote would be for the Liberty. This class with the inside Promenade is far more appealing and awe inspiring than the Radiance class. Not that I have anything negative to say about that class. Also I have to agree with other posters saying a day in Labadee is nicer than a day in Key West. Again, not bashing Key West, but again first time cruisers will be able to experience what Labadee has to offer than the bars of Key West. I agree that the stop in Falmouth is not exciting, but you can still either hop off for the close by shopping and then right back on the ship to enjoy it while the others trapse around the island.

Unless you are always cruising just because the ship is the destination for you, I really can't see avoiding some of the smaller ships and keep sailing the same destinations over and over and over. I know I am going to do Oasis or Allure one day, but I will not keep doing them over and over. Having just cruised Freedom and enjoyed the big ship and the Promenade, I have no problem with sailing on Jewel for my next cruise! But that's just me! :cool:

DH and I have cruised on almost all of the different classes of ships, and we will get to cruise on Allure in June 2014. Majesty of the Seas, is their smallest ship and we have cruised on her 9 times. The itinerary is the same, time after time, but we are just escaping from the 'workday world' into a restful, carefree place.....we love MOS. Yes, it would be wonderful to have flowrider for some fun...but it just doesn't have the space for it.

We love the intimacy of the Majesty and the WONDERFULly friendly crew (we have always found the crews friendly, not matter what ship we were on). Our first cruise was on Navigator, when she was the biggest in the fleet; then we went on Majesty, the smallest -- and we have ALWAYS enjoyed returning to her Majesty.

Each class and each ship seems to have its own personality....from my experience. We loved Liberty, perhaps the most, because it had the flowrider....which was amazing fun.

Jewel for us, had a tremendous activity list -- and the entertainment staff was incredible. Most of the entertainment staffs are wonderful -- this one seemed more so....maybe because it cruised out of Puerto Rico and was very Latin music oriented, and made sure the Americans on board (at least this one) got involved in lots of things. Elvis the Activities Director was GREAT! The Activities Director probably has the most influence on the 'tone of the cruise' in my opinion.

And we had him on Majesty a few times....it was terrific.

Not knowing your personal preferences beyond what you say in the OP, it is hard to be specific. We have been on both classes of ships and enjoyed them both very much. Personally, I would make the decision based on the itinerary. If you are beach people, then the Liberty itinerary seems more appropriate. If you like to see things, then the Brilliance cruise to Key West and Cozumel might be more enjoyable. I am not a Radiance class junky, but think they are fine ships. While they do not have the Royal Promenade, they do have most of the functions found there [shops, snack places, etc.]. If you think you might want to try the Flow Rider or watch the Ice Show, then Liberty is your only choice. If those are not concerns, then Brilliance should be fine. Personally, I think RCI does a great job with ship design as it relates to crowd flow and never felt crowded on either the Freedom class or Radiance class ships we have sailed. To be honest, the most important factor to my cruise enjoyment is the people we are with. In your case that will be the same on either ship meaning it will be hard to go wrong.

Enjoy your cruise.

Remember Brilliance does not have a Seaview cafe anymore anyway . I know Jewel does but OP is asking for advise on Brilliance