Overboard?! How does that happen!?

lucigo

Very old sailor warning:

"Only fools and firemen sit on the rail"

(Firemen refers to the stokers who used to shovel the coal into the boilers, they were capable of any form of stupidity, kind of like someone on here questioning the danger)

This is akin to my wife being concerned about carrying a handgun in her purse. If handguns went off randomly the companys would go out of business. If cruise ships were that easy to fall off of they would soon be both empty and out of business. We were on a cruise out of Galveston when a suicidal guy jumped to his death. I've been on lots of cruises and seen lots and lots of drunks but none have fallen overboard. Not one.

Not to defend stupid, but in one photo the ship is in port; if that person fell over they would land on the lower balcony, not over the side.

The person in the other photo is close to a corner, but again would probably land on to the balcony below.

Those two people happen to be in fairly safe spots, but that's where OP could snap pictures from. How many other idiots are doing things like that while they aren't on as "safe" a balcony? Plenty, I'm sure.

I'm a regular rock wall climber (of modest skill, admittedly), so the photos don't faze me -- unless either of these people is drunk. Then they surely are Darwin moments.

Intoxication, clowning around, and depression probably account all but a tiny fraction of people going overboard.

Standing on a deck chair while at sea taking sunrise picture....

IMG_7137_zps0e7bc11c.jpg

What I don't understand about this guy is why is he standing on a chair when his camera would be over the top of the divider and railing anyway.

Edited by RWolver672

If man overboard happens accidentally wouldn’t we hear more about people falling off a balcony and hitting the deck below? My vote is most man overboard are suicide and murder. It is not politically correct to say, the most blatant Darwinism I see are people who have trouble walking on dry land taking a cruise and then hanging out at the pool.

I fail to see, based on the pictures, how either person is stupid / moron / any of the other names they were called.

The guy sitting on the edge - the ship is docked. The other guy is standing in the corner from what I see. How is that dangerous?

Obviously you're in one of the pictures! So, what you're saying is if you are sitting on your balcony in the highrise you live in if you fall you won't be hurt. After all, your building isn't underway.

Obviously you're in one of the pictures! So, what you're saying is if you are sitting on your balcony in the highrise you live in if you fall you won't be hurt. After all, your building isn't underway.

Apples and oranges. On top of that neither peson in the pictures was on the outside railing of their balcony.

I fail to see, based on the pictures, how either person is stupid / moron / any of the other names they were called.

The guy sitting on the edge - the ship is docked. The other guy is standing in the corner from what I see. How is that dangerous?

The other guy is clearly standing on a chair (or something)! The railing is hitting him at thigh level...the railings are way higher than thigh level :p...which makes him standing on something! ;).

Some people over-worry about things and over think things. We are talking about someone that is sitting down NEXT to the railing. I wouldnt want a child to do that but that is relatively safe for an adult. When I was a kid I would sneak onto the second story roof at night to watch the stars. At X-mas time I would get on the roof and scoot along to hang up christmas lights because it was much quicker than using a ladder. Did I die or fall? Nope.

Luck counts. It is best to not count on luck.

There is a WHOLE LOT of stupid out there and that explains a lot of things.

The other guy is clearly standing on a chair (or something)! The railing is hitting him at thigh level...the railings are way higher than thigh level :p...which makes him standing on something! ;).

Maybe there should be a secondary 'safety' rail 3-4 feet from the actual railing. For the sake of safety, of course. WE can't risk someone's knee giving up and them flipping over board. What if someone trips on the way out the balcony door? They could be flunt over the railing.

Oohhh the humanity!!!!

Maybe there should be a secondary 'safety' rail 3-4 feet from the actual railing. For the sake of safety, of course. WE can't risk someone's knee giving up and them flipping over board. What if someone trips on the way out the balcony door? They could be flunt over the railing.

Oohhh the humanity!!!!

Or like the Naval Aircraft carriers that have nets all around the outside of the flight decks.

Oohhh the humanity!!!!

A strong gust of wind would do the trick or a sudden turn by the ship. Most US Navy sailors go overboard because they become complacent and overlook the obvious dangers or don't take the necessary safety precautions (which is actually how most accidents happen, come to think of it).

A strong gust of wind would do the trick or a sudden turn by the ship. Most US Navy sailors go overboard because they become complacent and overlook the obvious dangers or don't take the necessary safety precautions (which is actually how most accidents happen, come to think of it).

Yes, that is how most accidents happen and will continue to happen. A flat top has unique risks that other naval vessels do not - which is why I have never seen a cruiser with a net around it.

For the record - I do not see a huge cruise ship making sudden turns. Even if the captain wanted to they are not built for evasive maneuvers and dodging weapons.

Yes, that is how most accidents happen and will continue to happen. A flat top has unique risks that other naval vessels do not - which is why I have never seen a cruiser with a net around it.

For the record - I do not see a huge cruise ship making sudden turns. Even if the captain wanted to they are not built for evasive maneuvers and dodging weapons.

Then take a close look at the USS Lake Champlain's flight deck;).

800px-USS_Lake_Champlain_%28CG-57%29.JPG

I know I have asked that question. Sure people go over and you think it must have been alcohol or suicide. How can someone accidentally go over such a high balcony ledge?

I snapped these 2 pictures from our balcony within a couple of days of each other.

Standing on a deck chair while at sea taking sunrise picture....

IMG_7137_zps0e7bc11c.jpg

Chatting while pulling out to sea....

1471934_10201565421752264_305456947_n_zpsd991bff6.jpg

And yes I made sure no faces could be made out to protect their ...um.. privacy.

Darwin Award nominees! Wait till later in the day and add alcohol....

Explains a lot.

I think people just don't think. We were on the Fascination during SS Sandy and it was really rough seas. Like hang on walking down a hallway. The decks had all been closed for two days. We were waiting in line at the buffet and a guy (30's) with his big camera pushed open the deck door to go out on the deck to take a picture. He had to brace his body just to stand upright. We all thought-what an idiot! He took some pictures-decided to come back in-the air pressure was so strong he couldn't get the door to open. He put one hand on the middle and pulled the other door-it released and slammed onto his hand. A guy helped him get the door open so he could get inside. That stupidity could have cost him his life. Some people feel they are safe because they are on vacation. :eek:

I saw almost the same thing on the Fascination a couple of weeks ago. Our balcony doors were locked due to the rough seas. My aunt and I went down to the lido to get some ice cream noticing that not many people were out that evening. One of the officers came down and was telling everyone to hang on to something when they walk...that even half of the crew were in their rooms with seasickness. Next thing you know....a mother and her 2 sons (I think?) came walking in off the outside of the desk....wet and windblown laughing like it was some kind of game to actually walk outside in that stuff. CRAZY!! And my thought was....and this is why people go overboard and why cruiselines get a bad rap!!