Any feedback on transpacific on the Millenium?

CanWeGoYet?

I've been looking at the repositioning cruise, Vancouver to Yokohama on the Millenium. How rough the water tends to be on this route, (yes I know it all depends, but the Pacific is often in for rough water I think) how the ship does in high swells, whether there was a good variety of ships programs for all the sea days, etc etc.

Any info from someone who has sailed this route or ship will be so helpful. Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I did read through the reviews & was a little surprised at how many were negative. Not sure if they were written by the sort who let any little problem ruin their cruise, or if things really were amiss.

Why do you think that negative reviews are written by people who let even the small thing ruin their vacation? At the cruise critic forums you find both positive and negative reviews. Feedback either way is something I do appreciate very much. If there are many reviews, which are negative about a particular itinerary or ship, you could either lower your expectations or not take the particular itinerary, but why doubt about the personality of those writting the reviews? Are you also perhaps suspicious of people who write positive reviews?

Anyway, we have taken a transpacific with the Millenium and my review is under member reviews.

As much as we like Celebrity, we have found this cruise not particularly the best we have taken. If we would have to decide again about it, we would not have done that transpacific. It was expensive and did not meet Celebrities standards. Alaska we have enjoyed and we would come back anytime, but we would prefer not to do it with the Millenium.

Edited by travelberlin

As much as we like Celebrity, we have found this cruise not particularly the best we have taken. If we would have to decide again about it, we would not have done that transpacific. It was expensive and did not meet Celebrities standards. Alaska we have enjoyed and we would come back anytime, but we would prefer not to do it with the Millenium.

Hi

First let me say that DH and I believe that even the worst cruise day is better than the best work day.

We did our first B2B2B on the Millennium in April/early May - Hong Kong to Shanghai, Shanghai to Seward Alaska, Seward to Vancouver. I absolutely agree with travelberlin. DH and I really like cruising with Celebrity but these cruises were not Celebrity's finest.

The transpacific cruise was not particularly rough but the weather was cold (30s F) outside. We were prepared for that but the ship was freezing inside too. Being an older ship, we don't think the Millennium is suited to such cold weather.

We had Select dining which used the port side of the upper dining room. There was a wind tunnel effect in the first part of the dining room - people seated there wore coats. Moreover, the service for Select dining was the worst we have ever had on Celebrity. It was not unusual to wait 15-20 minutes after being seated at a table before we'd see the waiter. There was a large outbreak of norovirus on board so there wasn't even bread on the table to nibble on while we waited for the waiter.

There were not many activities planned during the day; but this might be the new normal because we noticed the same situation on the Reflection transatlantic we just completed. And as travelberlin noted, these cruises were relatively expensive.

I might do this route again but it would have to be on one of the newer ships.

Bev

We cruised the Hawaiian Islands and returned to Vancouver in the April/May timeframe. The Pacific was calm and we had many lazy days on the promenade. That cruise was not on Millie.

We have crossed the Atlantic a few times on Millie with smooth seas and lazy days on the promenade.

Enjoy your cruise.

-Marisa

Thanks, I did read through the reviews & was a little surprised at how many were negative. Not sure if they were written by the sort who let any little problem ruin their cruise, or if things really were amiss.

I concur with Bev and travelberlin. We were on this cruise for the 37 days and it was our least enjoyable cruise because it was such a sick ship. Lots of people coughing without covering their mouths which was probably how I got the bug. I was sick with Bronchitis for 10 days, (mostly stayed in our stateroom) and had to go to the Dr on board. There was also Noro but we did not get that, thankfully. I think these things colored peoples' opinion of the cruise.

On the positive side, the sea was not rough. The food and service in Blu was outstanding. We were in the MDR for the first segment and that too, was wonderful. Our cabin stewards in AQ were the best we have ever had. Japan is amazing. Go for it, I think you will enjoy yourself.

Edited by YVR cruiser

Why do you think that negative reviews are written by people who let even the small thing ruin their vacation? At the cruise critic forums you find both positive and negative reviews. Feedback either way is something I do appreciate very much. If there are many reviews, which are negative about a particular itinerary or ship, you could either lower your expectations or not take the particular itinerary, but why doubt about the personality of those writting the reviews? Are you also perhaps suspicious of people who write positive reviews?

If you read my comment, you would see that I questioned whether the reviews were written by such that let a small problem ruin their cruise, or if the problems were valid.

After being around this forum for years, and yes I have seen people write incredibly angry reviews or blast a cruise line over minor slights. I'm sure you have seen your share of overreaction as well. If it does not apply to you, you don't need to take it personally or take offense. Unless you wish to.

I concur with Bev and travelberlin. We were on this cruise for the 37 days and it was our least enjoyable cruise because it was such a sick ship. Lots of people coughing without covering their mouths which was probably how I got the bug. I was sick with Bronchitis for 10 days, (mostly stayed in our stateroom) and had to go to the Dr on board. There was also Noro but we did not get that, thankfully. I think these things colored peoples' opinion of the cruise.

On the positive side, the sea was not rough. The food and service in Blu was outstanding. We were in the MDR for the first segment and that too, was wonderful. Our cabin stewards in AQ were the best we have ever had. Japan is amazing. Go for it, I think you will enjoy yourself.

Thank you, that is understandable that people would be upset over getting sick on their vacation. Also thank you for the feedback, it was helpful.

Thanks to USVI and Bev as well.

Edited by CanWeGoYet?