Laundry Soap Opinion

FillupD

I ordered these packs for laundry at the hotel and on the ship: Purex UltraPacks Liquid Laundry Detergent, Mountain Breeze.

I could have ordered the Purex 3 in 1 that I heard so much about on here but there were quite a few bad reviews about ruining clothes. I think there is a pretty good following for these but I was skeptical.

Anyone use the UltraPacks? Opinions?

Also use the same Pods that w use at home.

We bring 1 for every 3 days we are on vacation. We place them in a tupperware type container and put that in a gallon Ziplock bag just in case one leaks(which has never happened).

I ordered these packs for laundry at the hotel and on the ship: Purex UltraPacks Liquid Laundry Detergent, Mountain Breeze.

I could have ordered the Purex 3 in 1 that I heard so much about on here but there were quite a few bad reviews about ruining clothes. I think there is a pretty good following for these but I was skeptical.

Anyone use the UltraPacks? Opinions?

If they are liquid and you are flying to your cruise, you may want to investigate what the TSA has to say about liquids carried by passengers.

I used the Purex 3 in 1 laundry sheets for years with no problems but can't find them to purchase any more.

I take pieces of a Zote bar for hand laundry and Kirkland (Costco) laundry pods for machine washing.

You can put laundry pods into your checked baggage.

I bring along the Tide pods and the OxiClean pods for enough loads that I think I'd do for the length of the cruise. These are what I use at home so I know how my clothes turn out, and not have to worry if I have to use something I'm not familiar with.

That's a good point about the gray water. I didn't think about carrying liquids on the plane either. I'll check that out. Thanks!

How about hand washing, either of these work in this situation?

For hand washing delicate stuff in the sink, I just use the mystery shampoo the ship provides.

I've used the Purex 3 in 1 sheets for laundry (we only do 1 or 2 loads in a week) and they work fine. We've never used them at home, so I have no idea with continued use how they affect clothing.

Sometimes have spots even with regular laundry detergent/conditioner. Have heard it's something to do with the fabric softener.

I cut the Purex sheets in half, lengthwise because the machines are much smaller than the machines at home.

We used the Purex 3 in 1 sheets once. Even after reading reports of them leaving spots on clothing. Yep, all the plain colored shirts/blouses had spots on them. After MANY washings once home, most of the spots are less noticeable, but they are still there. Any clothes that were dark, or had some sort of pattern on them, we couldn't see spots, but I'm guessing they were there.

At any rate Purex no longer makes the 3 in 1 sheets. You can still find them (for a price), but the supply should eventually dry up.

I usually go to our local 99 cent store and buy a smallish box of powered detergent for 99 cents. It's usually enough for all the laundry we do (we typically take long cruises, so we wind up washing several loads). If there's any left, I usually leave in in the laundry room with "FREE" written on it for others to use.

I don't know what cruiselines you're using, but HAL (on those ships that have a laundry room) has free soap. There's a button to push on the washer to add the soap.

Edited by Shmoo here

We are planning on spending some of the evening at the hotel washing clothes before the cruise and some on the ship. We will have an accumulation from a week at WDW in Orlando.

Thanks for the tips and advice, any advice that makes this chore easier is appreciated. I've read a lot of posts where it advices take half of what you think you need, that is (in our packrat case) is easier to say, than do.

Fortunately we have a stash of the 3 in one sheets. Keep them in the lining of my suitcase (where you access the frame and wheels)

We have found that to keep them from spotting clothes. (it is the softener that seems to do it) rinse the sheet in water and wring out before throwing it in the machine. That seems to take out the excess softener.

I bought the 3 in 1 sheets a few years ago and used them on a couple of cruises. Then they just sat in my laundry room. One day, when I had run out of my regular detergent, I used the 3 in 1 -- and got the dreaded spots for the first time. So my theory is that it's all about how old they are....

The hint about rinsing them before adding to the machine sounds good, but I think I'm done with that product. You only get to mess up my clothes once....

I have used CampSuds for years and it works great for hand washing clothing. Not only is CampSuds biodegradable it is a concentrate so a little goes a long way. I hand wash my daywear everyday and a 2oz bottle will last me for a two week cruise.

Much of my clothing is clothing that wicks away moisture. I have read that using fabric softeners on this type of clothing can reduce its effectiveness.

Shak

http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Dawn-Ca...words=campsuds

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor...-apparel-.html

I used the Purex 3 in 1 laundry sheets for years with no problems but can't find them to purchase any more.

At any rate Purex no longer makes the 3 in 1 sheets. You can still find them (for a price), but the supply should eventually dry up.

I found them on Amazon. I bought three boxes of them. That should hold us for quite a while as we only use them when on vacation.

Thanks for the links. A majority of my vacation clothes are also High Tech fabric, The article about fabric softener and breathable material is appreciated. The camp suds looks like it would also be good to have on board my fishing boat for the quick cleanup of hands.

The laundry pods I bought may not see as much use as anticipated. Great ideas come from this sight. Thanks to everyone. I did see the Purex 3 in 1 on the Amazon site, they are kind of pricey now that the supply is limited. Sounds like manufacturing has stopped so the supply only gets older.(and more unreliable?)

I've never has a problem taking detergent pods on a flight to a cruise port. I put them in a freezer weight zipper plastic bag, and tuck them inside a shoe in one of my checked bags. Never any leakage because they are protected from getting squashed even if my suitcase gets tossed around..

I HAVE had a problem with those 3-in-1 laundry sheets causing spotting on my clothes, and will never use them again.