Fairbanks or Anchorage?

JimS4210

Hi all,

My wife and I are on the Norwegian Sun NB out of Vancouver on 6/23. We'll disembark in Whittier on 6/30 and take a bus to Anchorage. Our plan is to grab a rental car in Anchorage and head to Denali for 3 nights 6/30-7/02. Originally, we were going to drive back down to Anchorage and catch a plane back to Philly, but now I'm wondering if Fairbanks is worth a visit.

Looking at car rentals, one way rentals add about $200 to the cost and flying back home from Fairbanks is considerably more expensive as well. Money isn't totally the determining factor, but it does matter. :) Is heading north to Fairbanks worth the added expense? Are there things to do, tours to take? If so, I could add a night in Fairbanks and fly back on 7/04. Haven't booked airfare back home yet so that's pretty flexible...

Or I could drive back down and spend some time in Anchorage after Denali. Already have nights booked in Denali so those dates are set. I guess what I'm asking is, Anchorage or Fairbanks? Thoughts? Opinions? Flames?... :)

Thanks,

Jim

We'll be leaving Denali early on 7/03. I was planning on flying out the same day but could stretch it out until 7/05. That would give us more than 2 full days since flights out of Anchorage are late in the day. Same with Fairbanks.

Thanks,

Jim

I've been to Fairbanks three times on the way to the Yukon. The Riverboat Discovery is a nice excursion and you can see the Alaska Pipeline. There are things to do, especially if you have a car. Look online at their visitors website to see if there is anything you don't want to miss.

For me it wouldn't be worth the added expense and travel time unless you can find enough experiences to keep you busy.....I prefer Anchorage and the Turnagain Arm area if you have extra time.

I've been to Fairbanks three times on the way to the Yukon. The Riverboat Discovery is a nice excursion and you can see the Alaska Pipeline. There are things to do, especially if you have a car. Look online at their visitors website to see if there is anything you don't want to miss.

For me it wouldn't be worth the added expense and travel time unless you can find enough experiences to keep you busy.....I prefer Anchorage and the Turnagain Arm area if you have extra time.

I would add that Fairbanks has a wonderful Museum of Alaska and a world class fantastic collection of American automobiles which I have visited 3 times.

That said, considering the extra cost of the trip to Fairbanks, I would second the idea of doing the Turnagain Arm region of Anchorage.

DON

In addition to the Museum of the North (which is much nicer than the Anchorage Museum, although the Anchorage Museum has just hired a new director who states she hopes to re-do their very dated Alaska gallery, so the Anchorage Museum may improve in the future), the Riverboat Discovery and the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum, Fairbanks also offers Gold Dredge No. 8, Creamer's Field, Pioneer Park's collection of funky museums (Air Museum, Wickersham House, Kitty Hensley House, Pioneer Museum and antique Engine No. 1).

Fairbanks is the jumping-off place to tours in "bush" Alaska and also has tours north of the Arctic Circle. There are also a number of trails in the Chena Recreation Area and access to the White Mountains. I've often thought that tourists who are more "outdoorsy" can appreciate Fairbanks more than the "couch potato" type of person.

But the OP has stated "Money isn't totally the determining factor, but it does matter." So I wonder if the OP could afford a tour to Anaktuvuk Pass, Prudhoe Bay or something similar.

I have also checked the 2014 schedule for WEIO (World Eskimo Indian Olympics) and the Midnight Sun Pow Wow. These are world-class events held in Fairbanks, but will be held later in July.