Harwich or Southampton?

BosoxI

If you need to get to Heathrow, which would be you choice port at which to disembark?

We've done both, most recently Harwich earlier this year, but I don't have a clear recollection of how long it takes from Southampton. Nor do I clearly recall the ease of travel from there. My preference would be a hired car. I'm embarrassed; my memory is failing me.:(

Hire car at Harwich has been an issue no companies had outlets.

Might have changed I did some trial bookings.

Europecar has a colchester branch and seems to do a meet and greet at the port they also have 1 way options for airport drop off.(watch the excess )

Thrifty have port pickup but no drop off by the looks of it(again colchester based) can do a london drop off

Avis None

hertz none

Southampton is a lot easier.

Southampton is generally the more pleasant port to use, both in terms of access, closeness to the two major international airports and facilities. While there is a rail service that goes directly into the Port of Harwich, I did feel that their facilities were rather limited and they barley managed to handle the 800 passenger MV Discovery when I was there. I would not want to embark a ship with thousands of people there, though perhaps with added staff the procedure is fine.

Far more facilities at Southampton, including hotels for the night prior to a cruise.

In October ,we were transported from Heathrow by a Celebrity transfer, which took just 2 hrs as traffic was light.

From what I gathered from our Roll Call, you cannot pre book parking at Harwich, but we couldn't drive our own car, as it needed to be at Manchester for the return from our TA on Infinity.

have to agree that Southampton is best - there is a train terminal at harwich next to the dock but it is 3 changes on the train and 2hr 45 min hourney

Go with Southampton

Although it depends where you want to sail to and from in relation to ports

Not 3 changes on a 'Sailing Day' to Harwich.

There is a direct train from Liverpool St Station(London) at approx 12.30 pm.

I believe there are also coaches from both LHR and Central London Hotels.

Our transfer was brilliant, but we had booked air through Celebrity, so our transfers were included. I think I saw mentioned that it cost $101 to book with Celebrity at LHR, but I wouldn't like to chance arriving & hoping I could book at the last moment.

Edited by upwarduk

Southampton is much closer to Heathrow-aprox 65 miles.

Harwich to Heathrow is aprox 112 miles.

Yes, and Harwich is on the opposite side of London from Heathrow. Going from Harwich to Heathrow will introduce you to the M25, which is not a pretty experience.

Yes, and Harwich is on the opposite side of London from Heathrow. Going from Harwich to Heathrow will introduce you to the M25, which is not a pretty experience.

Had a hired car (great driver, Darren with Adelphi) for recent roundtrip from LHR to Harwich. M25 was quite long and slow both ways, but particularly bad in morning traffic returning to Heathrow. We were off the ship very early, and it took nearly three hours to get to LHR. :(

Julia,

I've been researching transfers from London to Harwich for an upcoming cruise. Would you please post contact information for Adelphi and Darren.

Thanks so much.

Here is a link to a bus company that was posted on our Roll Call:

http://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/london-to-harwich.html

"Exclusive transfer in a luxury touring coach

A door to door transfer with pickups from central London and Heathrow hotels. This service is available on all dates when Royal Caribbean and Celebrity cruise ships are visiting Harwich."

Edited by upwarduk