123 GO Promo

jaydeebee60

It doesn't seem very reasonable for Celebrity to not afford you this offer if you are willing to pay the difference.

I certainly do agree about how annoying it is having different rules for different countries. In my opinion the biggest offenders by far are Princess Cruises (and for a while Cunard too). Now that I live in the UK it is not such a big problem, although when I permanently lived in Bahrain I would regularly get quoted over £1,600 more for the same booking over the US price on the aforementioned cruise lines. Needless to say I ran away.

If cruise lines could normalise their prices/rules across markets, it would be great. I hate booking a cruise for a certain rate, knowing my neighbour from X country is getting it for much cheaper (or vice versa). Luckily, I do not think Celebrity is a big offender in this department (at least from a pricing perspective).

I have a cruise booked on the Summit for February 2015. TA is telling me that she can't get the 123 promo added to my booking because it is for new bookings only. I also told her to cancel and rebook, and she said Celebrity is watching for this and it will be caught:(

Caught at what? You are doing nothing wrong.

You are the customer and if you wish to cancel for any reason, you can (from what I understand here). If you choose to re-book it is also up to you; I am wondering if your TA does not want to do the work for you. You could try another TA, see what you can get and if you are happy ask them to hold the reservation and then cancel with the old TA. As long as it is in the time before final payment.

I don't think Celebrity could say anything; you are the customer trying to get a good deal. People do this all of the time to get the best value and not just with cruises. At least you are wanting to re-book; you could be taking your business elsewhere.

Good luck!

In relation to 123GO. I had originally looked at Booking a 12 Night Med in August 2014 with Norwegian. However the 123GO with free Grats.(worth $290- ) and free Drink Package (worth $1000- approx.), the Celebrity 12 Night is now better value than the Norwegian on a better (IMHO) line.

So I am trying to book this cruise, the website is useless in that it still attempts to charge me Grats and makes no mention of free Drink Package.

So I have been trying day after day to get to Celebrity on phone. Today I got someone, very rude who reluctantly worked a price for me.

Problem is, price is still way above what sites like VT... are quoting.

Is anyone aware of any TA in Aus. (Internet or Shop front) who quotes good prices on Celebrity? Price charged by going direct with Celebrity negates advantages of 123GO... Yes we as Aussies do pay way more than citizens of some other countrys.

You are absolutely correct. Different rules do indeed apply to different countries, but it is not Celebrity who makes those rules. The different rules are made by the different countries, each with their own set of "consumer protection" laws and regulations.

Your displeasure should be directed at your country's government not at Celebrity. The fact that ANY cruise line can operate in the morass of various national requirements and directives is truly astonishing.

Thats not entirely correct. It isnt the laws of non US countries that makes changes to cruise bookings non allowable. Its the level of competition amongst cruise companies in each country. In the US there is a lot of choice amongst cruise lines for business so they allow changes to existing bookings. In other countries competition is less, such as in Australia and here in the UK. Any changes to a booking here are totally not allowed even if the price of your cabin on the same cruise drops by half before final payment date. Any cancellations always forfeit your deposit.

Laws dont dictate this. Simply that the cruise lines can get away with it due to there being less competition.

Yes again. It's nothing to do with Australian laws but the cruise companies themselves. Some refuse to allow USA TA's book cruises for Aussies. Our Government couldn't care less if US TA's book our cruises. They couldn't care less if we receive the same benefits as USA cruisers.

We booked and paid an $800 deposit of a cruise out of Sydney in April 2014.

I recently had a email saying that the 123 GO Promo was available and thought I would be able to take advantage of this by having added to my existing booking. I indicated I would be happy to pay the difference between my fare and the new fare (approx $200).

I have seen many times on this forum that this has been done. I emailed my TA who said it will only apply to new bookings and Celebrity wouldn't budge.

I am annoyed and feel that we are being penalised for booking early. If I wouldnt loose all of my $800 deposit I would cancel by booking.

It seems that different rules apply to each country. :mad:

Regards

Jay (Australia)

But if you bought yourself a new Toyota and then they had a sale later that year, you wouldn't go demanding your original price be changed would you? Any time you purchase something you weigh up the risk that something good might be offered later against the benefit that if prices go up you don't have to cop it.

Taken from Celebrity Terms & Conditions ...

"From time to time we may release special offers on some cruises. If you wish to change your booking to take advantage of these offers then you will have to cancel your existing booking, whereupon our standard cancellation policy (including charges) will apply. We reserve the right to charge an administration fee of AU$100 per person to make any such changes."

So its a shame that you're missing out on something but I can't see that Celebrity is doing anything wrong.

But if you bought yourself a new Toyota and then they had a sale later that year, you wouldn't go demanding your original price be changed would you? Any time you purchase something you weigh up the risk that something good might be offered later against the benefit that if prices go up you don't have to cop it.

Taken from Celebrity Terms & Conditions ...

"From time to time we may release special offers on some cruises. If you wish to change your booking to take advantage of these offers then you will have to cancel your existing booking, whereupon our standard cancellation policy (including charges) will apply. We reserve the right to charge an administration fee of AU$100 per person to make any such changes."

So its a shame that you're missing out on something but I can't see that Celebrity is doing anything wrong.

IMO, this rationale does not make sense. When you buy a 'Toyota' and see a lower price a year later you have had and been using the product for a year. In this instance (OP) they are still in the buying/negotiating phase. No final product has been delivered.

If you waited a year for the Toyota, you absolutely could get the lower price. Sometimes those end of year car sales are quite excellent. ;)

Okay then to change the scenario, if you bought an air ticket to Hong Kong on Qantas and then Qantas had a sale you wouldn't ask Qantas for money back, would you? Even though you hadn't taken the flight yet. Airlines put prices up and down daily but people holding tickets know what they paid is what they paid.

You must be doing a european cruise as these allow two of the three 1-2-3- options.

Yes - the Eastern Adriatic - a wonderful itinerary

Hi Puska I am assuming you book through a US TA. Good for you. I will still love my cruise, our first balcony so that is special

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Yes, booked through a US TA, and yes, you will love your balcony - we certainly do..:p

Okay then to change the scenario, if you bought an air ticket to Hong Kong on Qantas and then Qantas had a sale you wouldn't ask Qantas for money back, would you? Even though you hadn't taken the flight yet. Airlines put prices up and down daily but people holding tickets know what they paid is what they paid.
First, you are making an assumption that all paid airfare is non-changeable and non-refundable--that is a flawed assumption. Many fares are changeable and refundable.

Second, this just happens to be how the airlines run their business. How about hotels and car rentals? Most have both low prepaid non-refundable, and no prepayment, but fully cancellable bookings. The overwhelming majority of people however book the latter: fully cancellable and refundable bookings.

The more control an industry has over its market, the tighter and more restrictive the pricing and refund policies will be. Hotels and car rentals are fiercely competitive businesses with plenty of inventory or supply, so most reservations are fully cancellable and refundable. So if prices or rates go down, most people can and do take advantage. Airlines have less inventory and thus more control and so many coach fares are non-refundable. There are exceptions to this rule with many of the discount airlines as they will give you fare reductions back! Then there is the bizarre world of cruising, where at least in the US, the consumer is in full control with refundable fares right up until final payment 70 days prior to sailing. Then after that magic moment, the consumer is mostly screwed and a highly restrictive change and refund policy is in place.

In summary, you can't generalize about what a consumer is reasonably entitled to as far as price paid, price reductions and refunds. So your point that what a person paid is what they should reasonably expect to pay and not get a refund is flawed. When I book a hotel, I expect only to get the lower of the price I prebook or if the price goes down, to get the lower price! When I book a flight with Southwest, I am happy with that fare, but if the fare goes down, I expect the difference back! Same with car rentals and cruises. And specifically with cruises, if the fare goes down, I absolutely cancel and rebook!

This is why I have said repeatedly on other threads: Book early but be ready to cancel your booking before final payment IF bookings look light and it appears imminent that the cruiseline will heavily discount your particular sailing. Don't get caught making final payment and then finding your cruise fare drops by hundreds of dollars per person the week after final payment! It is knowable when this will happen!

Edited by Terpnut

Hi Terpnut, I'll go along with you on one point. I often pay up an early deposit on 2 or 3 cruises leaving at the same time, knowing that I have time to cancel should other better deals come along. For example, I've booked Celebrity Century over Xmas 2014 to get the 1-2-3- bonus but I really want the Diamond Princess over the same dates. If/As soon as Princess gives a decent price I'll change over.

I get your points about pricing and don't want to get too deep into it. I just find it amusing that, as a TA, nobody ever comes to me to change their airfares, hotels or tours once they've paid up but they do on cruises. I guess perhaps its also that cruises only require a deposit and then it can be many months before the balance is due, whereas things like flights and hotels tend to be full payment at time of booking.

I get your points about pricing and don't want to get too deep into it. I just find it amusing that, as a TA, nobody ever comes to me to change their airfares, hotels or tours once they've paid up but they do on cruises. I guess perhaps its also that cruises only require a deposit and then it can be many months before the balance is due, whereas things like flights and hotels tend to be full payment at time of booking.

I don't know about your clients, but I personally don't give an inch to any industry: cruise, airfare, hotels, car rentals or the pair of Nike sneakers at the Foot Locker. In each and every one of these cases, I pay what I feel is a fair but refundable price, but if the street price ever comes down, I will zealously pursue the price or fare difference as a refund or credit. Of course, this doesn't apply if the price I pay is clearly noted as non-refundable but again, very few things in this world are truly non-refundable. As I mentioned earlier, even a few of the airlines I fly (e.g. Airtran, Southwest), allow credits or refunds for fare reductions. So the lesson for consumers is: it behooves everyone to book a fair refundable price early but to follow-up religiously with possible price or fare reductions!

Another important point of note is that the cost of a cruise is the highest cost budget items for cruisers so price reductions hit much harder than a $10-$20/night reduction in your hotel or car rental rate!

Edited by Terpnut

I never book full payment of a hotel because there are always deals offered later. But I don't use a travel agent much either except for some cruises. Online purchasing has made a world of difference to the way people purchase travel.

You Aussies will find this interesting. Earlier in this post I asked someone who they booked with in the USA. There is a very well know cruise TA in the US "VT...."...

I was looking to book Celebrity Equinox, August 2014 Med. The 123GO promo prompted me to do it now and I get the Drink Package and Grats for free.

Booking C3 Cabin which is one of the higher graded but not a Suite. So I contacted the USA mob and also 3 locals.

VT... came back with USA$6504- (AUD$7145-)

3 locals varied from AUD$6167 to AUD$6350

Direct with Celebrity AU is AUD$6257

VT.. $1000- more than the best local...

A month ago when I was looking at a Norwegian , the USA mob was about $500- less.

Go figure.

Exchange rates maybe? It's all in the research. Sometimes they are better. They are $1000 better for our July 2014 med cruise than booking direct. Go figure. :p

I've had another thought. Another cc'er mentioned they concentrated in the cheaper cabins. Mines just a balcony. Maybe that's the difference?

Does your 123 promo show in your booking?

Edited by Pushka

I just tried to book a Europe Aug 26th through a TA and they have told me that one is not eligible for 123GO.... Funny, the flyer I got from Celebrity didn't mention any exemptions.

Has anyone booked a Europe cruise yet on the 123GO and if so, which cruise? Thanks

We are booked on the Holy Land cruise on Silhouette 18th October 2014. We heard the week before 123 went live that Egypt was dropped from the itinerary. We were given the option to cancel and get a full refund. When 123 went live we asked TA if we could cancel and rebook in the same cabin so that we qualified for 123. They agreed to add on the classic package and $300 onboard to our original booking.

I just tried to book a Europe Aug 26th through a TA and they have told me that one is not eligible for 123GO.... Funny, the flyer I got from Celebrity didn't mention any exemptions.

Has anyone booked a Europe cruise yet on the 123GO and if so, which cruise? Thanks

There are a number of exclusions. The main ones are Xpedition, Transatlantic and Transpacifics, and inside cabins.

There are a number of exclusions. The main ones are Xpedition, Transatlantic and Transpacifics, and inside cabins.

OK Yes, sorry I saw those, but TA is trying to tell me the Equinox August 26th is not included. I think I need to dump that TA

We booked and paid an $800 deposit of a cruise out of Sydney in April 2014.

I recently had a email saying that the 123 GO Promo was available and thought I would be able to take advantage of this by having added to my existing booking. I indicated I would be happy to pay the difference between my fare and the new fare (approx $200).

I have seen many times on this forum that this has been done. I emailed my TA who said it will only apply to new bookings and Celebrity wouldn't budge.

I am annoyed and feel that we are being penalised for booking early. If I wouldnt loose all of my $800 deposit I would cancel by booking.

It seems that different rules apply to each country. :mad:

Regards

Jay (Australia)

Can't you cancel your reservation now without any penalty? Then rebook? Have done this many times, but perhaps different rules out of USA? Also, can you rebook directly with Celebrity and not with your TA?

Good luck

OK Yes, sorry I saw those, but TA is trying to tell me the Equinox August 26th is not included. I think I need to dump that TA

If you go on line you will be able to tell if this cruise is included.

Just check on the Celebrity website under the 123 Promo and your cruise is not listed as part of the Promo.

Edited by jagoffee