What I find annoying about Regent pricing model

Well said forevertravel, We are on the same page and even though we are just north of 50 and you are at 100 I have trouble understanding Regent's attitude towards us. I asked the UK director a policy question along the lines of why don't you respond to your best customers? I was stonewalled. IMO not a good way to take care of business.

Well said forevertravel, We are on the same page and even though we are just north of 50 and you are at 100 I have trouble understanding Regent's attitude towards us. I asked the UK director a policy question along the lines of why don't you respond to your best customers? I was stonewalled. IMO not a good way to take care of business.

He did respond to you by telling you that policy questions and complaints are handled by the head office. And, one of the guidelines for the question and answer session was " Customer service issues should be addressed through the proper venues via RSSC Cruises".

I do feel that, for a variety of reasons, the question and answers did not work as expected and hopefully will be removed from Cruise Critic soon.

For better or worse, I do feel that we are all treated the same -- whether you have 50, 100, 200 or more days on Regent. Silversea customer service is equally poor as you are no doubt know. I wonder if this is intentional or due to an untrained staff. I'm not being a Regent cheerleader here -- just stating what I have experienced and/or observed.

If I wanted an answer to a specific (not general policy) question, I would ask my TA first. They should be familiar with all of Regent's policies. If that did not work I would call Regent and ask to speak to a supervisor. Next step would be emailing Mr. Kamlani and finally (hopefully rarely necessary), Mr. Del Rio. We normally get our questions answered by our TA. The few times I have called customer service was to cancel a excursion. The one time it was very difficult to get an answer is when the port of Ashdod, Israel was changed to Haifa due the firing of a missile. Communication between the ship and headquarters was poor and information from headquarters was sketchy.

If the question is simply why Regent does not treat their customers better (paraphrasing what I've read), how does one answer that? Many of us feel we are treated just fine. As with the couple that walked off of the Voyager after 4 days, some people are treated poorly because they may be rude and demanding to Regent's staff (not accusing anyone of this -- just have seen it occur).

That is my rant for the day!

Travelcat, my posting had nothing to do with not having questions answered. I have never have issues with that, or, if there is an issue (has never happened to us) with the cruise itself, I know how to see the GM or appropriate person. My posting was regarding how now it does not seem to be advantageous to book a year in advance. Regent inundates us with flyers and tells us how prices are going up (four times a year), yet if cruise is not selling well they lower prices and start offering perks (which we didn't have) to attract new customers. We are fortunate to have a good TA who watches out for us. However, many people simply book with Regent and never check to see about prices and perks offered with same cruise. To me, Regent is not being fair to its faithful customers (and believe me, I'm a Regent cheerleader) who are the ones who keep them in business. While I can understand the need to attract passengers if cruise is only half full, Regent should extend those perks to passengers already booked without us having to contact them.

Travelcat, my posting had nothing to do with not having questions answered. I have never have issues with that, or, if there is an issue (has never happened to us) with the cruise itself, I know how to see the GM or appropriate person. My posting was regarding how now it does not seem to be advantageous to book a year in advance. Regent inundates us with flyers and tells us how prices are going up (four times a year), yet if cruise is not selling well they lower prices and start offering perks (which we didn't have) to attract new customers. We are fortunate to have a good TA who watches out for us. However, many people simply book with Regent and never check to see about prices and perks offered with same cruise. To me, Regent is not being fair to its faithful customers (and believe me, I'm a Regent cheerleader) who are the ones who keep them in business. While I can understand the need to attract passengers if cruise is only half full, Regent should extend those perks to passengers already booked without us having to contact them.

I agree with you completely. My last post was directed to newlondon. IMO, his question to Mr. Sadler was a bit general.

One thing that Regent does that I do like is emailing offers to customers when it is possible to extend your cruise for a discounted price and also the upsells. This gives current customers a chance to take a back to back cruise at a lower price. Unfortunately, we have only been able to take advantage of this once because we usually book the longest cruise we can in terms of the length of time we can be away. Extending would make the cruise too long.

I don't think it can be said enough ..... to make sure you have a TA who is on top of all changes/offers from Regent so they can communicate to their customers. It is so important!

I'm sorry Jackie, I e-mailed you a pleasant response to the change in your avatar before reading your defense of Mr. Sadler. My question was not general, it asked specifically why they don't respond to questions regarding policy; and to customers who are wanting an answer to a problem. If Viking River Cruises, imo one of the worst lines, can consistently answer questions; why can't Regent?

Good customer service may need to be private; but that would not be my choice, as an answer to one customer question might help many others.

Whatever, I feel Mr. Sadler avoided answering my question because Miami doesn't want to be on record about answering specific questions or issues.

If they want to be private, they have our e-mails from our booking info!

Sorry all, Jackie I don't know how you get those e-mails, we sure don't:mad:

Interesting - we get them all the time but do not get many brochures.

BTW, I wrote the post on this thread before reading your very nice post regarding my avatar. They look like they are directly from Regent but it is possible that Regent sends it to our TA and they send it to us.

I am asking the next question very nicely - with a smile (unfortunately it is not possible to detect this from when reading a post.) I could be incorrect, but were you thinking that Mr. Sadler or someone from Regent could respond privately to a policy question asked on Cruise Critic?

Really wish you would try something and report back. Send an email to Mr. Kamlani and ask a question about a specific policy rather than to policies in general. Then, let us know if he responded and answered your question to your satisfaction. Not through yet - then, ask the same specific policy question to your TA and see if you receive the same answer (I suppose you could do this in reverse order).

This isn't meant as a challenge......I am hoping that you will be satisfied with the response you receive.

Edited by Travelcat2

Actually Jackie as I think about your suggestion this is quite easy. I have for some time been waiting to hear when Regent will do the summer of '15 as other lines have already done. My TA is adamant that the date is unavailable.

I am now going to e-mail Mr. Kamlani and see what his response will be.

The question, however, is more important when there is a complaint.

Regent, doesn't answer.

I actually resigned from the board of a charitable organization because I thought they sent out too much mail. I brought it up at a board meeting, because every week I was getting mail from them which was a huge waste of paper and postage. I was shot down for suggesting that they stop sending so much, so I resigned.

Personally I love getting all the paper brochures. It's nice to be able to browse through them and think about the possibilities. I do think they should scrub their marketing lists and remove duplicate mailings. There are 2 of us in our house and we get 3 separate mailings, and emails. Unnecessary. I do have a problem with some of the marketing tactics. My latest "brochure" had plastered on the front in big letters "Price increases Jan1". I think that is tacky given the upscale nature and overall pricing of a Regent cruise. We all want a good price, but lets face it, I would think most Regent guests are smarter than to fall for that basic marketing tactic which is geared to the mass market.

Edited by Sunprince

Hi Jackie, I'm upset. I cleaned my interminable list of e-mails which erased Mr. Kamlani's address. Just called RSSC and they wouldn't give it to me. If we want to explore your proposal, would you please forward his e-mail either on this board or at bsloan.1@ Comcast.net. The upper case c and the space are to prevent trollers. It is lower case and there is no space.

Look forward to your response.

Hi Jackie, I'm upset. I cleaned my interminable list of e-mails which erased Mr. Kamlani's address. Just called RSSC and they wouldn't give it to me. If we want to explore your proposal, would you please forward his e-mail either on this board or at bsloan.1@ Comcast.net. The upper case c and the space are to prevent trollers. It is lower case and there is no space.

Look forward to your response.

Just sent it to you.

Am agreeing with travelforever. Recently while cruising on Navigator we made final payment for BA to Barcelona March 2014 cruise. We thought we got excellent discounts and were so happy until we received a new email from Regent offering SAME cruise for $4000 per person discount. Shocked we went to Cruise Consultant who was shocked too and immediately contacted our Regent contact person. Answer: no apology, just a silly response saying we were still doing well pricewise, compared to brochure price! So what? Cruise Consultants proudly state Regent ships are full so book early...which we always do to get what we want. Discounts to fill up ships 3 months before the cruise just after making final payment????

Doesn't fly. So, picture this: sitting down to dinner with new friends, and one person says, you know we only paid ???? for this cruise? And next guy says WHAT? And the Brit next to him says...crap, we never get an offer like that...NOT nice dinner conversation. But its human nature to boast about an upgrade or good deal. THIS is how Royal Viking lost loyal clients as for the last few years every guest had a different deal and they naturally talked about it just like on an airplane. NOTE to Regent: don't go down that Royal Viking path!

Am agreeing with travelforever. Recently while cruising on Navigator we made final payment for BA to Barcelona March 2014 cruise. We thought we got excellent discounts and were so happy until we received a new email from Regent offering SAME cruise for $4000 per person discount. Shocked we went to Cruise Consultant who was shocked too and immediately contacted our Regent contact person. Answer: no apology, just a silly response saying we were still doing well pricewise, compared to brochure price! So what? Cruise Consultants proudly state Regent ships are full so book early...which we always do to get what we want. Discounts to fill up ships 3 months before the cruise just after making final payment????

Doesn't fly. So, picture this: sitting down to dinner with new friends, and one person says, you know we only paid ???? for this cruise? And next guy says WHAT? And the Brit next to him says...crap, we never get an offer like that...NOT nice dinner conversation. But its human nature to boast about an upgrade or good deal. THIS is how Royal Viking lost loyal clients as for the last few years every guest had a different deal and they naturally talked about it just like on an airplane. NOTE to Regent: don't go down that Royal Viking path!

While I totally agree with you about it being awful. I have to say in about 100 days on Regent no one has asked how much we paid or told me how much they paid. On one cruise only did someone tell me about the large amount of OBC they received.

You have to be careful reading those marketing ploys. Most of the time the ending price is exactly the same as what you actually paid as there are almost always differences in what is included in the hyped offer. Most of the regulars on this board understand their attempts to make the costs look lower but, once you add up things that are not included in these shall we say marketing ploys to look better than they actually are and you will see that there really isn't any savings from what you paid.

While the ploys are not false, they sure do their best to make them appear to be better and lower than other offers and by reading carefully and completely, you will see that you most likely didn't leave any money on the table.

I got that email too. And it annoyed me too. That is a great deal for business class, and one we would probably have taken even though we normally do our own air. But our travel schedule, like yours, is pretty much set in stone a year in advance. Very frustrating.

Another ditto here. My work schedule dictates one year out planning to ensure I can plan around my absence.

Edited by IndiTravler
Typo fixed

On my most recent cruise with Regent, I contacted my TA in early September as I had learned that the cruise was not full and asked whether there was a lower price that we may benefit from. No I was told that the TA contacted Regent and I had lowest available price. When we were onboard, we noticed that almost 50% of the passengers were Brits and then learned that many had taken advantage of a £100 pp per day offer that included transfers and economy air! You can imagine how we felt duped. The UK focused offer (not offered to US) was made in early September no less, just when I inquired about a lower fare.

One needs to recognize that Regent is owned by a PE fund and the PE fund's primary fiduciary responsibility is to its investors ( not the customers of one of the fund's operating companies). As a business woman, I now understand this and will take it into consideration for future bookings on Regent. As a passenger, I along with some of the previous posters will wait for a spur of the moment and last minute deal to book a future cruise with Regent. In the meantime, I'm booked for a Southeast Asia cruise for 2014 with Crystal who I don't believe is owned by PE fund and does recognize its loyal passengers are their primary responsibility.

On my most recent cruise with Regent, I contacted my TA in early September as I had learned that the cruise was not full and asked whether there was a lower price that we may benefit from. No I was told that the TA contacted Regent and I had lowest available price. When we were onboard, we noticed that almost 50% of the passengers were Brits and then learned that many had taken advantage of a £100 pp per day offer that included transfers and economy air! You can imagine how we felt duped. The UK focused offer (not offered to US) was made in early September no less, just when I inquired about a lower fare.

One needs to recognize that Regent is owned by a PE fund and the PE fund's primary fiduciary responsibility is to its investors ( not the customers of one of the fund's operating companies). As a business woman, I now understand this and will take it into consideration for future bookings on Regent. As a passenger, I along with some of the previous posters will wait for a spur of the moment and last minute deal to book a future cruise with Regent. In the meantime, I'm booked for a Southeast Asia cruise for 2014 with Crystal who I don't believe is owned by PE fund and does recognize its loyal passengers are their primary responsibility.

While I am one of the first people to criticize Regent when they do wrong, and this does appear to fall into that category, just because Regent is owned by a PE fund doesn't change the fact that any profit making business has as their primary responsibility to their stockholders or owners.

While keeping customers happy and coming back, recognizing loyal customers, and purchasing the product is certainly important to any company, their ultimate responsibility is to bring a good return to their owners.