"Your time dining" - Not Necessarily

Lingalizzi

Just like everything else with cruising, what you experience on one cruise can be totally different from what the people in the cabin next to you experience. You absolutely cannot extrapolate ONE experience to cover every future possibility.

If you'd asked here about the ability to make reservations for YTD, you would've been told this was not possible. Don't believe everything you're told by Carnival or whomever you booked with.

As far as I know EVERY ship that has two dining rooms uses the center one for YTD and the aft one for set dining, so it should be no surprise when you board to find out in which one you'll be dining.

I only tried YTD once, on the first leg of my B2B when I was solo (the 5 night portion). First night was horrible (when I asked to be seated with others), the rest were fine (when I asked to be seated alone). After the 2nd night, I requested the same wait team and had them for two more nights.

Again, every single experience will be different. You might have a group of 10 and have no problems being seated immediately simply because you lucked out with the timing. You may be a couple and have to wait 30 minutes simply because you arrived just after everyone else arrived.

It's like the stock market - past performance is not indicative of future results! ;)

But yes, it's good to share personal experiences (that's what these boards are for), but other cruisers shouldn't assume that they'll have the same experience, whether good or bad.

We were encouraged to select "your time dining" when we booked our cruise. We were told we could make reservations - which we found out on board that you can not. While it may work for some people, we had a group of 10 and it was a pain in the butt. When you get in line for YTD, unless it is between 5:45 and 6:30, you are more than likely to be in line for a pager. Once your pager goes off then you get in a line to be seated. Especially if you have a large group. We waited 90 min to 2 hours the first 3 nights and they split our table up once. Every day the staff sent "We are sorry for the wait" sweets to our room because of the long wait for a table (we had to tell them to stop because they were not so good and it was wasteful). So if you have a bigger group, you may want to reconsider. Every day we waited in line. It was annoying and not explained we'll in advance. The staff tried to be accommodating but this is not their fault, they don't encourage us to use YTD.

Extra note - if you are on the Splendor, YTD is in the Black Pearl which is at the front of the ship. The other set dining time is at the Gold Pearl which is at the back of the ship and you feel much more movement there. We also noticed the evening staff is much nicer than the brunch staff but overall they are all superb at what they do.

I wished that someone had told me this information in advance - I hope it helps you!!

Cheers!

Christina

Novice cruiser - can't wait for the next one!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is from the Carnival website regarding "your time dining".

† Your Time Dining: Seating is assigned on a first come, first served basis. Guests are normally seated within 20 minutes depending on the size of the party. Parties of 10 or more may need to be accommodated at different tables.

We have always enjoyed having the flexibility of YTD on all of our cruises. We don't always feel like eating at the same time every day. I can see where there is some frustration over having to wait but it is stated clearly that there will be a wait depending on the size of the party. You can't expect to be seated immediately when there is over 3500 passengers on a ship. Perhaps several people from the party should arrive sooner and get the table. That way if everyone is not ready at the same time, which is most likely the case, the table is ready and waiting for the slower people that stayed at the pool 10 minutes too long and held up dinner.

I didn't realize that Carnival doesn't take reservations for Your Time Dining. On Royal Caribbean, they practically demand you to make reservations, which to me kind of defeats the whole purpose. :)

We're just a party of two and love flexible dining. But it sounds like it doesn't work for large parties on Carnival.

We were encouraged to select "your time dining" when we booked our cruise. We were told we could make reservations - which we found out on board that you can not. While it may work for some people, we had a group of 10 and it was a pain in the butt. When you get in line for YTD, unless it is between 5:45 and 6:30, you are more than likely to be in line for a pager. Once your pager goes off then you get in a line to be seated. Especially if you have a large group. We waited 90 min to 2 hours the first 3 nights and they split our table up once. Every day the staff sent "We are sorry for the wait" sweets to our room because of the long wait for a table (we had to tell them to stop because they were not so good and it was wasteful). So if you have a bigger group, you may want to reconsider. Every day we waited in line. It was annoying and not explained we'll in advance. The staff tried to be accommodating but this is not their fault, they don't encourage us to use YTD.

Extra note - if you are on the Splendor, YTD is in the Black Pearl which is at the front of the ship. The other set dining time is at the Gold Pearl which is at the back of the ship and you feel much more movement there. We also noticed the evening staff is much nicer than the brunch staff but overall they are all superb at what they do.

I wished that someone had told me this information in advance - I hope it helps you!!

Cheers!

Christina

Thanks for the info on the Black Pearl Dining Room. Going on the Splendor in a month and first time I'm doing YTD, nice to know the choppy waters during the winter months will be less affected in the forward dining room.

Funny thing is on every past cruise we have always been placed in the aft dining room. Never could understand why.

Meh, my husband and I had anytime dining,

went to the dining room three nights out of seven and had to wait for 45 min on two of those nights.

So, no, that's not why in my case.:rolleyes:

Makes me so glad I've always stuck with boring ole Early Sitting at 6:00 :cool:

Never had any trouble with that.

Cheers!

Christina

Sorry you had this problem with your party of 10. It might just be that ship/crew. I can only speak on my experience on our last cruise with CCL, which was on Destiny and we were a party of 13. We never waited more than 5-10 minutes except one night, when I think our wait might have been 30 minutes (we usually arrived about 7pm for dinner). We are going with 9 on our next cruise and I hope our luck continues as we have YTD again! I have never had assigned dining, NCL is all YTD and on Princess we opted for YTD as well.

Happy Sailing!!

If you ask for the same servers in anytime dining, you can get that same experience. When we were on Carnival, we had anytime dining, asked for the same waitstaff and after the first night, they knew us by name and had my kids soda brought to them once they sat down. they never had to ask. (I think having the tea there waiting for you could be an issue if you decide to go to the steakhouse or the lido deck. How would they know you were coming?)

I know what you are saying, but we had a party of at least 16. I don't think that would be as well accommodated for YTD even with the same server (our waitress even knew which seat to leave the tea at before I sat down in anticipation...excellent service)... but I could be wrong. And you can't guarantee the same server, which may or may not be good actually, depending on the server. Assigned seating is still the best for us personally.

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

I couldn't agree with you more. We tried it on one of the 9 cruises we have been on and never again. I reiterate every point you made...

We had ATD and were very happy about it even though the tables are close, just like you are sitting at a table with others but we ate at 8 once, 5:45 a couple times and 6ish. We like not being tied to a certain time bc we don't know what we would be doing. For a large group I can see where it would have to be a problem. We never had to wait over 10 mins.

Just sailed on the Magic over T'giving (7 days). My son INSISTED on eating in the MDR every.single.night -- even nights I would rather have skipped. He thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience.

We had ATD, and there was just us 2. We would eat anytime from 5:15 (FIRST in Line --LOL!) to one night he went by himself @ 8:30 because I was just too tired. A couple of nights when we went to get in line (about 6PM IIRC), the line was wrapped around the bars outside. We just looked at the line & went back to our room & watched part of a movie and tried again in an hour.

Most times we were in line for about 20 minutes. Then we had another 5 minute wait to get seated but I would say from when we got downstairs to seating was within 30 minutes. One night there were only 4 ppl in front of us. There was no reasoning to long lines, no lines, or fast-moving lines vs. time we showed up. We totally couldn't judge how it would turn out.

But we enjoyed chatting with other ppl in the line with us. And we like ATD, since we usually prefer to be by ourselves during the meal.

I travel solo and did YTD on my last cruise on Legend. I was surprised to see YTD folks started lining up at 5:20pm! A few nights I saw some people from the roll call who invited me to join them.

Another night the people in front and in back of me, I could tell from their conversations in line, were NOT people I wanted to spend the dinner hour with! I wnt to the back of the line and then decided to ask for a solo table.

Had fabulous service from Fernando and his team. I didn't find the tables too close together at all in his section. He pampered his section and many returned each night of the 8 night cruise.

I'm back to set dining times now. Too much uncertainty every night instead of just the first night.

Tried YTD on the Glory a few years ago. Asked for a table for two and was told a 45 minute wait. I really don't see the point.

This was our experience as well. I wanted to like it. But it is absolutely not the walk right in, sit right down convenience that one might be led to believe and there were only 3 of us :( I hate YTD and will stick with my scheduled late seating from now on.

Edited by Vanessa L

I read the forums and knew what I was getting with YTD but now that I have experienced it, I won't do it again. Our cabin was aft but the dining room used for YTD was mid ship. For some that might not be a problem, but for someone with issues walking, it is a big issue. PLUS on elegant night we waited 45 minutes. I enjoy having the same head waiter and team, so we began asking for a specific one, which sometimes took time.

Cheers!

Christina

We always do YTD. Never have had a problem. Last cruise there was a total of 10 of us. We arrived at the dinning room at 5:30 - 5:45. Always had the same table and wait staff. Never had to wait. Even formal night. We walked right up to the desk and they set us right away. That was on the Freedom.

We like YTD and will continue to use it. Our next cruise there will be 4 of us. We don't like sitting with people we don't know so YTD works for us.

We have selected the YTD for our upcoming cruise on the Conquest. In the past I have had the late dining time. Exactly how does the YTD work? We are 3 ladies cruising together. Would we be seated at our own table or seated with others? I have enjoyed meeting and getting to know our table mates in the past. I thought the YTD would give us more flexibility since we have 4 ports of call. Any thoughts?

My curosity has gotten the best of me. Who encouraged you to do the YTD?

When we booked our cruise, 4 staterooms total, our travel agent strongly recommended it and said we could make reservations for the whole week. That was so not true.

When we booked our cruise, 4 staterooms total, our travel agent strongly recommended it and said we could make reservations for the whole week. That was so not true.

Most TAs don't seem to know much - if anything- about cruises these days. They are just middle men and a dying breed.

Hmm, this makes me nervous. We used YTD last cruise and never had a wait and loved the flexibility. So I of course chose it again for this cruise. However, we will be a group of 7 this time on the Splendor. May have to rethink this...

We've used it with a group of 8 and never had to wait.

10 people is way too many for YTD. Why not split up into two groups of 5?

Cheers!

Christina

• 3 weeks later...
10 people is way too many for YTD. Why not split up into two groups of 5?

We had 3 kids under the age of 8 who didn't want to sit apart. Lol. It was just too difficult to split up. It ended up working out but we had to go out of our way to make that happen. Lesson learned on our maiden cruise. :-)

We loved the YTD on our cruise last Feb and also chose it for our cruise next month. We never had to wait as a party of 2. Not even a few minutes. I won't be upset if we wait this time as a party of 4. I rather expect it to be harder to seat 4 than 2. It was interesting being seated with different people. We ended up seated with one couple our parents age for many meals. Nicest people. I couldn't help but be tickled when she brought extra sunscreen packets on one excursion in case I needed it being SO fair and not used to the Bahamas sun she said. How sweet of her. We met lots of interesting people. I imagine possible more so than assigned dining since it was different people often for every meal.

Edited by grumplin