Inoculations

goldgirl2

Does anyone get any inoculations before cruising to the Caribbean? I read on the RCI website that they recommend following the CDC and WHO guidelines. According to these guidelines those visiting Belize and Cozumel (the only ones I researched) need to have several shots before going. They stress concern with Malaria from mosquito bites among others. I researched visiting while on a cruise so these guidelines are set for day visitors.

I am no doctor, and we have been a bunch of times with no shots, other than shots of booze. That should ward off anything.:eek: Seriously, I have never heard any other cruisers mention being vaccinated..

so your the blame for all those drunk mosquitos in cozumel;)

I don't think any pax get vaccinated or treated for these diseases unless they come down with it which I have not heard of a case. At least until recently and maybe now, if you have been to Roatan or Belize, you will not be permitted to donate blood.

We got the 'Hepatitis A' shots for traveling around some of these '3rd world' islands/countries. Hepatitis A is spread relatively easily. When I asked my doctor about it, he told me that it was a very good idea to get the two shots. Hepatitis A is even becoming more common in the US these days.

I travel the world and have only gotten vaccines when I've got deep into India and Bangladesh.

The Caribbean isn't a concern. And trust me, I was eaten ALIVE when visiting the ruins in Cozumel and I didn't contract Malaria. Every mosquito in Cozumel took a bite out of me.:eek:

Does anyone get any inoculations before cruising to the Caribbean? I read on the RCI website that they recommend following the CDC and WHO guidelines. According to these guidelines those visiting Belize and Cozumel (the only ones I researched) need to have several shots before going. They stress concern with Malaria from mosquito bites among others. I researched visiting while on a cruise so these guidelines are set for day visitors.

When we went to Belize, Kaiser recommended we get inoculations against maleria, so we did. I figure it is better to be safe than sorry.

I did not realize there was a malaria vaccination, only an inoculation?

Currently there is no malaria vaccine available. But GlaxoSmithKline is currently in the clinical trial phase of a new vaccine.

Malaria is present in some parts of Mexico, all of Haiti and the Dominican Republic and currently not many other places in the Caribbean.

Malaria Coverage Map: http://cdc-malaria.ncsa.uiuc.edu/

From the CDC regarding traveling to Mexico:

When traveling in Mexico, you should avoid mosquito bites to prevent malaria. You may need to take prescription medicine before, during, and after your trip to prevent malaria, depending on your travel plans, such as where you are going, when you are traveling, and if you are spending a lot of time outdoors or sleeping outside. Talk to your doctor about how you can prevent malaria while traveling. For more information on malaria in Mexico, see malaria in Mexico.

To answer your question, when traveling abroad you should always be up to date on vaccines (MMR, tetanus, polio, yearly flu) several of which you would have gotten as a child or received from your doctor during a yearly physical.