HAL, you READING this?

TraelorMex

We are loyal HAL cruisers. We love HAL. That said, our annual month long vacation will be in Mexico this year. We usually cruise HAL, but due to the cutbacks and degrading quality (see many other reviews) of HAL, we now realize our discontent must be expressed with our dollars. So long for this year, HAL. Sure hope things improve...:rolleyes:

I do not think that HAL gives a fig.

We retired two years ago and we travel often. On two occasions we have crossed HAL ships off our short list because of of two, or both issues. A/C Plumbing or smoking policy.

In the last 12 months we have done three cruises, with two more scheduled for Christmas and Feb. HAL is falling off our radar lately ....partly due o the data gleaned from this forum. We should be in HAL's target market. They may read, HAL does not seem to comprehend or ACT.

Edited by iancal

We retired two years ago and we travel often. On two occasions we have crossed HAL ships off our short list because of of two, or both issues. A/C Plumbing or smoking policy.

In the last 12 months we have done three cruises, with two more scheduled for Christmas and Feb. HAL is falling off our radar lately ....partly due o the data gleaned from this forum. We should be in HAL's target market. They may read, HAL does not seem to comprehend or ACT.

This is not an original thought obviously, but as has been opined here in the past, it would seem HAL has looked in its crystal ball and determined that its current target market and customer base - seniors, retirees, "aging baby boomers" (of which I am one) -- in a few years much of its current passenger base won't be cruising much due to age, medical issues, the constraints of fixed income, etc.Thus the need to reposition its product to a cost-sensitive younger market on whom the "classy, traditional touches" of the past are largely lost, and whose taste in dining may have been more influenced by Olive Garden and Applebee's than traditional "white tablecloth' restaurants.

This is not an original thought obviously, but as has been opined here in the past, it would seem HAL has looked in its crystal ball and determined that its current target market and customer base - seniors, retirees, "aging baby boomers" (of which I am one) -- in a few years much of its current passenger base won't be cruising much due to age, medical issues, the constraints of fixed income, etc.Thus the need to reposition its product to a cost-sensitive younger market on whom the "classy, traditional touches" of the past are largely lost, and whose taste in dining may have been more influenced by Olive Garden and Applebee's than traditional "white tablecloth' restaurants.

Very true- mediocrity is now king:(

Who raised and guided these heathens?

HAL comprehends two things. HAL ships sail full, and they are making money.

Until one of those two things change, I don't expect to see any drastic changes. However if and when that does happen, the changes you see come about, will not be a return to the HAL we remember.

As the older population stops sailing, HAL must attract the younger market and will continue to do that with stable or lower prices and that means a less upscale cruise.

I know with absolute certainty that neither of my children would appreciate having no a/c in their respective cabins....let alone malfunctioning toilets.

I am with your children.

Now that we both have health issues -- we want our AC and need working toilets. Neither of us want to stay dressed all night long whenever we need to use a toilet.

Until one of those two things change, I don't expect to see any drastic changes. However if and when that does happen, the changes you see come about, will not be a return to the HAL we remember.

As the older population stops sailing, HAL must attract the younger market and will continue to do that with stable or lower prices and that means a less upscale cruise.

We have been on cruises on different ships where the ships were not completely full when they sailed.

If they do not sell a cabin to me, they will sell it to someone else.

Same as when we first started cruising, there were others who were stopping for whatever reason. If any of us should choose to not sail HAL again, there will be someone else sleeping in that bed. ;)

Seriously? then HAL is missing the boat! the biggest demographic now is the baby boomers and they are 'seniors" in the loosest term of the word. They are not all about to dies.

Whoever grabs this market is the smart cruise line.

this is the market willing to spend money - able to go on the longest itineraries - each to their own thoughts. This demographic has a along way to go and if they are taking their children or grandchildren (which I am noticing) then whichever cruise line decides to cater will win a lot of customers for a very long time. JMO ;)

We have been on cruises on different ships where the ships were not completely full when they sailed.

I'm sure you have, and I was speaking in general terms. I think you would agree that the vast majority of the sailings are at or near capacity.

HamOp--- I see "the bug" is back! Can't fool me twice. I did not try to kill it this time.:)

What's that old saying? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!:D

Kind of glad you didn't fall for it again.....The bug should be heading south soon, it's getting cold up here in the north.

If they do not sell a cabin to me, they will sell it to someone else.

Same as when we first started cruising, there were others who were stopping for whatever reason. If any of us should choose to not sail HAL again, there will be someone else sleeping in that bed. ;)

Sail - I agree with you. In fact, they did sell what I wanted to lots of other cruisers. DH and I planned to cruise the Caribbean for 21 days in February 2014. Unfortunately we could not commit until November due to some uncertain health issues. Guess what? When I called our PCC to book, there were absolutely no SA suites available on the itinerary we wanted for any combination of 3 weeks. There was one alternative, but the pricing was so much higher than I could have booked in October that I refused to book it. My PCC agreed the price was excessively high. So, while we can write on CC about how HAL is declining ... HAL is obviously attracting enough guests to sell out their Signature and Neptune suites on many Caribbean sailings.

Sorry, off topic. Are you a ham radio operator? Just curious about your handle. My husband is.

Sail - I agree with you. In fact, they did sell what I wanted to lots of other cruisers. DH and I planned to cruise the Caribbean for 21 days in February 2014. Unfortunately we could not commit until November due to some uncertain health issues. Guess what? When I called our PCC to book, there were absolutely no SA suites available on the itinerary we wanted for any combination of 3 weeks. There was one alternative, but the pricing was so much higher than I could have booked in October that I refused to book it. My PCC agreed the price was excessively high. So, while we can write on CC about how HAL is declining ... HAL is obviously attracting enough guests to sell out their Signature and Neptune suites on many Caribbean sailings.

Sorry for your disappointment about not being able to book but very happy your medical situation resolved enough for you both to be able to book. Stay well and look for another cruise to enjoy first opportunity. :)

Sorry for your disappointment about not being able to book but very happy your medical situation resolved enough for you both to be able to book. Stay well and look for another cruise to enjoy first opportunity. :)

Thanks Sail. Actually we took the opportunity to book a return to the Panama Canal - something we have talked about doing again. So all is not lost. :D We may add a land journey to Key West at the end of the cruise to extend our stay in warmer weather. Looking back, I should have booked the 21 day Caribbean earlier, then cancelled if I needed to before final payment. I just didn't feel like going thru all that hassle. Lesson learned.