Shore excursions

RitaJo96

I'm going on my third cruise Feb 23, 2014. I read some people recommend booking shore excursions ahead of time but some say to wait till you know what the weather will be like. We're going to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Have any of you really had problems with shore excursions being full? We mostly like the ones for sight seeing, and shopping. Thank you!

but seriously, as this is the ask a cruise question subforum and that is a cruise question, in Cozumel we love Paradise Beach. no need to book anything just take a cab. in Jamaica we probably won't get off the ship again as there's really nothing there (for us) unless you want to buy drugs. Last time we booked the zip line with the ship and loved it. But that was the last time unless we decide to go ziplining again. Grand Cayman wee went to swim with the sting rays with captain marvin which I recommend. Another time we took a cab to cemetary beach to snorkel cemetary reef which I highly recommend.

Edited by lifes-a-beach

If there is an excursion that is a "must do" for you, book it ASAP. If you don't really care one way or the other, you can wait.

You do know that many things don't require excursions and guides...lots of things are easy and cheap to do on your own. A guidebook is a must. Libraries have them.

You will also find others sailing with you in the Roll Call Forum. I'm sure there will be many with recommendations there too and possibly some with seats available for touring in a small group.

The most aggressive cabbies, and the least trustworthy, will be found in Jamaica. It really is a beautiful island but troubled. We've been going there for over 40 years. I do not recommend you stay onboard, but rather find a reputable tour guide, even if it is a ship's tour.

Been to all the ports many times. I would grab a cabbie in Cozumel after the tender stop at the pier. There are beaches galore and snorkeling and swimming options for a restful day.

Grand Cayman is easy too. Grab a cab.

Just remember, negotiate and settle your fare before you get into a taxi.

In Cozumel, if you decide you want to do a shore excursion to Tulum I would strongly recommend that you book that before your cruise through the cruiseline. You have to take a ferry from Cozumel to the mainland then a long bus ride to Tulum, walk a lot under the blazing sun (make sure you take a big bottle of water and an umbrella since there isn't much shade or seating once you're inside Tulum), and then a long bus ride back to catch the ferry. Although it makes for a long day, I heartily recommend that shore excursion for Cozumel. But I would reiterate that should you decide to do it that you book directly with your cruiseline. This is one place you do not want to miss your ship due to a malfunctioning ferry or broken down bus. At least if you book through the cruiseline they will hold the ship. If you book on your own you will have to find your own way to the next port of call.