For those that left; what will it take to convince you to come back?

LMaxwell

I have never understood why one would only cruise one line. There are sooo many options out there. :confused:

Don’t know what’s so hard to understand. But I’m happy to give my little bit of information since it seems it’s only a problem to cruise one line when it’s Carnival.

My first cruise was in 2001. A wedding gift on the Fascination. We were hooked by day one. We cruised the year after that for our one-year anniversary, because we had a FCC. And in between we’ve since done 3 more cruises. Unlike many people on this board, we haven’t cruised very much though we’ve been cruising for almost 15 years. Things like forming our family, buying a home, etc. hasn’t always allowed us to go on a cruise vacation. Or any vacation for that matter. But we have done several land trips as well. Though DH and I absolutely love the cruise experience, it’s not the only type of vacation we take.

We just got back into the swing of things this year since our youngest is now able to go and enjoy and at the age WE were comfortable with taking her and her older sibling. Therefore when we last cruised, there was just two of us. Now it's 4 of us. So our budget is even more restricted. And since we haven’t yet opted to take them out of school to cruise, we go in the Summer months when the prices are higher.

Last year when we looked to book our first trip with the kids, I tried real hard to book a Disney cruise – just to appease my daughter who lives, eats, and breathes Disney. But bottom line it was too expensive. I couldn’t justify spending 3 days in an inside cabin with 4 people JUST to say I was on a Disney cruise. We also tried Royal. And while the prices weren’t as high, they were considerably highER than Carnival and basically going to the same ports. Nassau, Freeport. At this point I personally am not interested in Nassau or Freeport again. Years before I cruised, I had been to Nassau. So for the same itinerary, we chose to do a 4 day on the Sensation with 3 days in Orlando pre-cruise. Kids had an absolute blast. It was affordable. And everyone was happy.

I am not opposed to cruising other lines. Now maybe some people who only cruise one line are. But because we are budget conscious travelers, price is a big factor yet not the only factor. Our plans for next year include a 7-day trip now that we know the kids handled cruising just fine. And quite honestly I did want to go on another class ship. Something bigger. And I am dying to try a scenic oceanview room. Hence the Sunshine. After that, DH and I have our eye on Norweigan. And we may try to do something on Royal out of Bayonne. But some of those trips are long or only to Bermuda. Been there before too. Not willing to pay a premium to go to Bermuda a 3rd time.

I have no problem admitting that I have a soft spot for Carnival, because this is where we got our cruising start. And I don’t see anything wrong with that. I’m not an avid cruiser. We don’t do it several times a year or even every year. I know someone who only cruises Royal. That is his choice and he has never gone on any other cruiseline.

I can appreciate the push for variety, but at the end of the day keep in mind that not everyone on here is constantly booking cruises. Or even interested in taking one cruise just so we can compare it with other cruises. I don’t doubt Carnival has room for improvement. Who doesn't. Nothing is perfect. But if they've torn their tale with you, why not just move on. As is always stated, there are so many other options.

By the time we retire, maybe we’ll be like my aunt and uncle where if you go by their house and they’re not home, chances are good that they are on a ship! Any ship. I’ve got no problem with that.;)

I haven't left permanently, just taking a break. There's really nothing that Carnival is doing wrong that's making me stay away. My two main reasons to sail on Carnival are cheap prices and convenient ports of embarkation close to home. They still deliver both of these.

What's keeping me away is that the other cruise lines are offering so much more these days and I want to experience it all. :D It's not what Carnival is doing wrong, but more what the other cruise lines are doing right. I'll eventually come back to Carnival. I just don't know when.

Edited by Tapi

I technically never really left! My last cruise was in 2010, on Carnival. I was my fifth cruise on Carnival and was most enjoyable, but shortly after they hiked the price for solo cruisers and also began to chip away at the quality of the on board entertainment ( In my opinion ), so when I went to book a cruise for 2013, I chose another cruise line, but due to troubles at home, I had to cancel and never got the pleasure:(

I still hope to cruise that other cruise line, as it has many things that appeal to me, one big one being entertainment, but I certainly have never written Carnival off either.

I know Carnival did have some awesome solo deals this fall, which is when I cruise, but for me; I have to put in for vacation leave a year in advance, so cant really do these last minute or short notice deals.

So for me, because I like to book my cruises a year out or so, I would like to see some of those solo deals (no supplement) offered for the fall season, a year away, but I know that is just not likely, but I live in hope.

I do hope to take a Carnival cruise again some day.:)

I used to really like Carnival; I enjoyed it. I try to enjoy any vacation I go on. Over the last few years the changes have been too much for me to make Carnival my first choice. I can cruise them locally (no flying) and they offer good last minute deals, but there is not any significant savings of $$$ compared to NCL and RC about 80% of time. So for me it's not a cost thing.

When I go on a vacation to Caribbean/Bahamas/Mexico I want live bands playing by the pool, upbeat caribbean rhythms. I want shows at night with singers, dancers, and an orchestra playing. I don't expect Broadway level productions, but I like to be entertained.

I like CCL's food, I am open to the new menu changes. I happen to like the choice of staterooms they offer. But the lack of live entertainment is keeping me away.

I feel like many others that participate in this forum, or even just lurk quietly, have their reasons for WANTING Carnival to be in their top choice again. So, tell me, what change would it take for you to come back to Carnival?

TL;DR:

Dear Carnival; Hang the DJ and I'll be back. My next three bookings are with another cruise line and one of those bookings I paid for three families to go. That money could have been yours.

Our next cruise is Princess and we will book another Princess while on board. We are considering a Royal Caribbean cruise for April (Doo Wop group cruise, but same dates as our timeshare week, so not sure). We have one more Carnival booked - with two other couples and Early Saver so we won't cancel.

I will NOT book another Carnival cruise unless and until they bring back the show band and real production shows. I'm disappointed in the dining decisions, but entertainment is the #1 reason we cruise. In fact, we've been to Las Vegas twice this year because we can choose our shows. Carnival may have done us a favor by driving us off to do other vacations.

If they left Carnival, why would they be on a Carnival message board?

No sarcasm intended

I've been sailing Carnival for more than 20 years. I've been on this board more than 13 years and, many times, I've been a Carnival defender. I'm sad that Carnival has chosen to downgrade their product - not just in one area, but over and over again over the last few years.

I'm still here because of that sadness. I'm OK with cruising other lines, but just keep checking to see if Carnival gives a rodent's backside. Apparently not! Perhaps Carnival is actually looking for the cruisers who want the cheapest experience (and that's not me).

We were on Carnival Breeze in Nov. The biggest challenge in the evening was which live music do we want to listen to. Ocean Plaza has a great band that features a different decade of music each night. Red Frog Pub has a lady singing blues and jazz with acoustic guitar and she was great. Piano Bar was rocking. Latin band playing in Atrium. Comedy club was rocking.

Only saw one show (Brits) but really like the use of animation and graphics. The old shows were just that, old.

During the day, yes there is a dj, but we prefer the quieter port/starboard areas outside where there is plenty of room and just you and the water (and the bar server!)

So if you think there is no entertainment, maybe you need to try the Breeze.

Edited by Fla Senior

We were on Carnival Breeze in Nov. The biggest challenge in the evening was which live music do we want to listen to. Ocean Plaza has a great band that features a different decade of music each night. Red Frog Pub has a lady singing blues and jazz with acoustic guitar and she was great. Piano Bar was rocking. Latin band playing in Atrium. Comedy club was rocking.

Only saw one show (Brits) but really like the use of animation and graphics. The old shows were just that, old.

During the day, yes there is a dj, but we prefer the quieter port/starboard areas outside where there is plenty of room and just you and the water (and the bar server!)

We sailed the Breeze in April and were seriously disappointed in the Playlist Productions / computer generated graphics. We sailed the Glory in June only to find the same miserable "shows" on board. We sailed Paradise in November because they still have (terrific) production shows.

We DID enjoy the live music on the Breeze.

The live music on the Magic was not so good.

Why can they not bring back the island music??

Why does everyone who left Carnival think they need to change just to bring you back ? If there is another cruise line that offers what you want, why not just stay with them ? I'm happy with what they offer and don't want them to change, especially of means higher prices. If they all offered the exact same things, then where's the variety ? I don't need ice rinks, or rock walls, or zip lines on the ship. Do you people not understand there are different levels of cruise lines, just like there are different levels of cars, houses, retail stores, motels. If you see CCL as the bottom of the barrel, then don't use them.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

I used to really like Carnival; I enjoyed it. I try to enjoy any vacation I go on. Over the last few years the changes have been too much for me to make Carnival my first choice. I can cruise them locally (no flying) and they offer good last minute deals, but there is not any significant savings of $$$ compared to NCL and RC about 80% of time. So for me it's not a cost thing.

When I go on a vacation to Caribbean/Bahamas/Mexico I want live bands playing by the pool, upbeat caribbean rhythms. I want shows at night with singers, dancers, and an orchestra playing. I don't expect Broadway level productions, but I like to be entertained.

I like CCL's food, I am open to the new menu changes. I happen to like the choice of staterooms they offer. But the lack of live entertainment is keeping me away.

I feel like many others that participate in this forum, or even just lurk quietly, have their reasons for WANTING Carnival to be in their top choice again. So, tell me, what change would it take for you to come back to Carnival?

TL;DR:

Dear Carnival; Hang the DJ and I'll be back. My next three bookings are with another cruise line and one of those bookings I paid for three families to go. That money could have been yours.

You may get your wish.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

There is some AMAZING news coming in the next few months about entertainment and live music is my guess!!!!

Just an observation, but your posts are doing a disservice to Carnival, hyping up what never happens, where reality is so much lower than posted expectations.

The expectaion is supposed to be lower than the reality.

Just an observation, but your posts are doing a disservice to Carnival, hyping up what never happens, where reality is so much lower than posted expectations.

The expectaion is supposed to be lower than the reality.

Ssshhhhhhh. DOn't tell Carnival about that.

I will ask John Heald on Facebook, he has not said anything about this

Best of luck. Regardless of whatever answer he gives it won't sway my opinion. He will either tell you there are no such announcement (not likely, since he doesn't want to close that door) or tell you the bears are working on a brilliant new thing that will forever change the way humans cruise.

I like JH and respect what he does and tries to do for cruisers. I enjoy his blogs and videos. But unfortanately I do not agree with all the build up he does for small / insignificant changes.

We sailed the Breeze in April and were seriously disappointed in the Playlist Productions / computer generated graphics. We sailed the Glory in June only to find the same miserable "shows" on board. We sailed Paradise in November because they still have (terrific) production shows.

We DID enjoy the live music on the Breeze.

It's just a matter of personal preferences. We just grew tired of the same old shows over the last 10+ years. Different costumes, set and songs but the same theme: male and female singing with a bunch of dancing by others. Maybe we just don't appreciate the art.

Not sure if the graphic productions is the way to go, but glad to see changes. (no disrespect meant, just different viewpoints)

I'm not a fan of all the changes. Hasbro for instance is just not for us. Some folks like it, but it just wasn't for us. Also the Marriage Show is dated. I enjoy some of the responses, but the end is always the same. The question is if on a deserted island, would you rather be with a missionary or a hooker. The old guy always has some version of the scripted response: "a hooker in a missionary position".

I do like all the variety that the Breeze (and hopefully others to follow) offers. If you don't like one thing, there's a whole bunch of others to see.

BTW, one more entertainment venue on the Breeze was live music Karaoke. A nice twist from the recorded music version.

I cruise on any of the main line cruise lines. But personally I wouldn't mind if Carnival eliminated the poolside music. Most of the time it is so loud you have to shout to be heard by the person sitting next to you.

I would like another program like FTTF. The could Call it the BSFE program. It would be the better service from everyone. The buyers would get a wrist band which would assure them they got a fresh drink in less than 30 minutes (seldom happens now unless I walk up to a bar), enough waiters at dinner to be able to serve the meal and take care of the diners like they used to. I would pay an extra $20 per day for this kind of service.

At dinner now the servers are handling maybe 40 diners when it should be more like 12-16. So having an assistant waiter hovering to refill our drinks and clear plates would be great. Of course this is how it used to be.

I have cruised on 5 different lines and I have a Legend cruise booked for January, but that will be my last Carnival cruise for a while (if ever again). I wish they would enforce the dress code in the buffet area. I get so sick of seeing people in wet bathing suits with no cover ups and no shoes of any sort on their feet. It is very unappetizing to be standing in line behind a big man in his bathing suit with no shirt and no shoes. I would also like to be able to order the dinner menu for room service like I can on HAL.

Why does everyone who left Carnival think they need to change just to bring you back ? If there is another cruise line that offers what you want, why not just stay with them ? I'm happy with what they offer and don't want them to change, especially of means higher prices. If they all offered the exact same things, then where's the variety ? I don't need ice rinks, or rock walls, or zip lines on the ship. Do you people not understand there are different levels of cruise lines, just like there are different levels of cars, houses, retail stores, motels. If you see CCL as the bottom of the barrel, then don't use them.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Well the thread is about what Carnival would have to do to get them back........