List of Occupations: ***????

Okay this one makes me laugh and scratch my head.....

While doing the online check-in, one of the items RCI has you select is your occupation. Has anyone ever wondered where on earth their list came from? It's like they just randomly picked some "jobs", some "fields" and some "terms" and threw them together. Here is the list of options in it's entirety:

Blue Collar

Business Owner

Clerical/Admin

Exec Upper Mgmt

Health Services

Home Business

Homemaker

Middle Mgmt

Military

Nurse

Profssnl/Technl

Retired

Sales/Marketing

Student

Teacher

White Collar

I've never known what they use that information for. I suspected they might use it for dining room table assignments, but I have no way of knowing.

God I hope so, I'm sure I don't fit the traditional mold of upper level management and would be so amused to be at a table full of them :)

Why are you laughing and scratching your head?:confused:

What would be on your list?

That list seems logical to you? So if you're a "nurse", you're a "nurse". But if you're a physician, PA, PT, OT, Tech, or one of the other hundreds of healthcare related positions, you're "Health Services"?

If you're clerical, you're automatically administrative?

Upper management and middle management are blurred areas of distinction that in no way illustrate what field one works in.

What if you are "White Collar" (whatever that even means anymore) but are the business owner?

I don't even know what they mean by lumping "professional" and "technical" together. Who is that? Is it an employed electrician? Or is it a software engineer supervisor? Perhaps it's a CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

I've never known what they use that information for. I suspected they might use it for dining room table assignments, but I have no way of knowing.

I'd bet they use it to track who their clientele is and adjust marketing strategies accordingly

Wow. I never considered that. But it turned out on my cruise that I was seated with a single mother (I'm a single mom) who also worked in a similar industry as I. We were also from the same city.

I forgot that they'd even asked for that info.

Wow. I never considered that. But it turned out on my cruise that I was seated with a single mother (I'm a single mom) who also worked in a similar industry as I. We were also from the same city.

I forgot that they'd even asked for that info.

Well that sounds like a coincidence. After all, I don't believe they ask anywhere if you have children (unless you're traveling with them).

That list seems logical to you?

I didn't necessarily mean it seemed logical to me. Just wanted an explanantion like you gave in your second post. I guess they could break down every category but the list would go on forever.:) Still wonder how you would make up the list.

Just marketing research, but now that I think about it.

On a Carnival cruise I was on my wife (teacher) and I sat with 2 other couples. In both cases the males were in the tech field, and the females were teachers. Strange.....

If they were worried about dining room patrons getting along they would ask your political affiliation and divide you up based on that (at least based on the current US political climate).

Not sure what the information is used for. On one cruise, DH and I were at an 8 top. One couple was a retired firefighter, the spouse a home maker, the other couple was a retired lawyer, the spouse a home maker, the 3rd couple were two ladies from Korea traveling together, in their 30's. DH and I were in our mid 50's - he in upper management, me in education. We had a great time. DH and I are from Michigan. The two retired couples, one from New York, the other from Jersey. I believe the two ladies were currently living in the Chicago area.

Oh, the one retired couple was in their 80's, the other in their 70's.

Edited by sleepless

While doing the online check-in, one of the items RCI has you select is your occupation. Has anyone ever wondered where on earth their list came from? It's like they just randomly picked some "jobs", some "fields" and some "terms" and threw them together. Here is the list of options in it's entirety:

Blue Collar

Business Owner

Clerical/Admin

Exec Upper Mgmt

Health Services

Home Business

Homemaker

Middle Mgmt

Military

Nurse

Profssnl/Technl

Retired

Sales/Marketing

Student

Teacher

White Collar

Every company (whether you realize it or not) collects information on the people who utilize their products and services. In turn this information is used to develop demographics for mainly marketing or future developmental purposes.

The only night we had inner at the MDR, it was so funny how we had nothing in common with everybody else whatsoever. We are 24 and 26, and everybody else was above 40. We all had totally different ocupations, single moms, 2 sisters, a lovely married couple, west / east coast, etc. We had a great time and are still in touch with the couple but it was funny we were expecting to find something in common and we never did. Nothing but cruising haha

Maybe the MDR is just not for us. :eek:

Every company (whether you realize it or not) collects information on the people who utilize their products and services. In turn this information is used to develop demographics for mainly marketing or future developmental purposes.

I'm aware of that. I just kind of chuckled when I looked at the list. You can only choose one, and some are strangely paired (Professional/Technical), while some are quite specific (Nurse or Teacher), yet still others are really broad and general (White Collar, Military)

Still wonder how you would make up the list.

I guess in order to make my list, I would have to know for what purpose the information is being collected. But I guess I would at least try and make the options similar in terms of what they meant. If "nurse" and "teacher", why not "physician" or "policeman" or "dentist"? I'm a physician who owns my own practice. I'm clinical 40% of the time, managing the practice 30% of the time and acting as a departmental administrator at a hospital 30% of the time. I'm "Health Services", "Business Owner", "White Collar", "Exec/ Upper Management", and "Professional" (but not sure what "Professional/Technical" means!). I didn't even know which to pick!

I'm aware of that. I just kind of chuckled when I looked at the list. You can only choose one, and some are strangely paired (Professional/Technical), while some are quite specific (Nurse or Teacher), yet still others are really broad and general (White Collar, Military)

I guess in order to make my list, I would have to know for what purpose the information is being collected. But I guess I would at least try and make the options similar in terms of what they meant. If "nurse" and "teacher", why not "physician" or "policeman" or "dentist"? I'm a physician who owns my own practice. I'm clinical 40% of the time, managing the practice 30% of the time and acting as a departmental administrator at a hospital 30% of the time. I'm "Health Services", "Business Owner", "White Collar", "Exec/ Upper Management", and "Professional" (but not sure what "Professional/Technical" means!). I didn't even know which to pick!

I just picked health care.

Just marketing research, but now that I think about it.

On a Carnival cruise I was on my wife (teacher) and I sat with 2 other couples. In both cases the males were in the tech field, and the females were teachers. Strange.....

If they were worried about dining room patrons getting along they would ask your political affiliation and divide you up based on that (at least based on the current US political climate).

I know what you meant, but sorry, but this made me laugh.

If you think that's bad, you should buy car insurance online in Ireland. All insurance companies seem to use the same ancient list of jobs that you have to select from. The IT industry is completely under-represented there with a single category called "computers", but yet they feel it necessary to have "chicken sexer" specified as a job that is separate from "chicken farmer" or "chicken handler".

I may be proved wrong, but I suspect we have far more employees in varied roles in the computer industry than we have chicken sexers in the country.

Pick a different category for each cruise or pick a category you don't fall into.

Blue Collar

Business Owner

Clerical/Admin

Exec Upper Mgmt

Health Services

Home Business

Homemaker

Middle Mgmt

Military

Nurse

Profssnl/Technl

Retired

Sales/Marketing

Student

Teacher

White Collar

That would make me an Exec Upper Mgmt, Profssnl/Technl, Retired, Retired (twice so far), Sales/Marketing, White Collar Teacher:eek:

Edited by orville99

If you think that's bad, you should buy car insurance online in Ireland. All insurance companies seem to use the same ancient list of jobs that you have to select from. The IT industry is completely under-represented there with a single category called "computers", but yet they feel it necessary to have "chicken sexer" specified as a job that is separate from "chicken farmer" or "chicken handler".

I may be proved wrong, but I suspect we have far more employees in varied roles in the computer industry than we have chicken sexers in the country.

O...M...G! Chicken sexer??? That's a real job??? LMAO!

From a market research perspective, their list does not seem logical - and I doubt its value because of that. They should have a list that is a bit more comprehensive and clearly mutually exclusive. An example that is pretty simplistic would be more along the lines of this (just quick and dirty):

• White collar - non-management
  • Low to Middle management
  • Exec management
  • Blue Collar / trades
  • Admin/clerical
  • Health Care
  • Professional (non-Health Care)
  • Technical
  • Sales/Sales Marketing
  • Education
  • Small business owner or other self-employed
  • Retired
  • Student
  • Homemaker
  • Other
  • Prefer not to answer

And then in the instructions, indicate that the user should select the option that most closely reflects their current occupation and that if they hold multiple jobs, the one the more closely relate to.

Their categories would vary based upon their purpose for the research. Is it primarily to determine advertising choices, or more for deciding among promotions, or for deciding what might be good to put on their next ship.

I agree with the OP that their listing is so strange as to be a bit comical. Perhaps their listing does align with their purpose, but if it does, I cannot imagine what that purpose may be :D

Edited by Onessa

O...M...G! Chicken sexer??? That's a real job??? LMAO!

Omg! Exactly what pervious poster said. I don't think I should google what a chicken sexer does...

It's nothing dirty, it's just someone who is trained in working out if chicks are male or female so that they can be sent to, erm, live on the correct happy farms where they can play all day long. If you don't have a chicken sexer you have to wait until they're about a month old before the lay person could tell the difference.