Swimming Required to Touch Stingrays?

indy71

When I visited the Nativeway website, it seemed like the boats stopped in deep water, but the stingray encounter was in shallower water. My mom doesn't swim, so what is it like getting from the boat to the sandbar? I know she could stay on the boat but would rather she get the benefit of touching the stingrays. There is an excursion on HAL where snorkeling is optional, but the thought of the crowds on the boats makes me want to choose an independent operator. Any insight from other non-swimmers?

Edited by indy71

I used Nativeway and did the rays, reef and rum point tour - I would highly recommend it if you have the time to do it.

As for your question stingray city is located on a sand bar but you do need to take a boat to get there, its maybe a 15-20 minute ride from the docks. The boat we used had stairs from the back going into the water so you do need to climb down them if you want to go in the water. I would guess the water at the sting ray location is maybe 3-5 feet deep and the deepest parts, some are lower. If your mom is okay with just standing in the water she should be fine. No swimming required :)

When I visited the Nativeway website, it seemed like the boats stopped in deep water, but the stingray encounter was in shallower water. My mom doesn't swim, so what is it like getting from the boat to the sandbar? I know she could stay on the boat but would rather she get the benefit of touching the stingrays. There is an excursion on HAL where snorkeling is optional, but the thought of the crowds on the boats makes me want to choose an independent operator. Any insight from other non-swimmers?

It will also depend on where your boat anchors. We've been there when it's crowded and we needed to swim a short distance to the sandbar. We've also been there when it was so shallow it was only ankle deep in some areas. Your Mom can definitly wear a life jacket for the short swim if there is one. She might feel more comfortable that way anyway. You are out in the middle of the ocean, so depending on how she feels.....

They should have life jackets for her to use onboard with whomever you book through. Check with them.

If you look at this photo, you can see most of the boats are right upon the sandbar, but if you look a the little boat at the bottom, it might be 6 or 7 ft deep there and you have to swim a bit. Again, it's going to depend on where you boat anchors.

364048634_stingray_city_grand_cayman_downloaded.jpg.ac757fc69b1aaa0b3200592507ae7025.jpg

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

I too am a non swimmer! I researched and found Stingray Sailings. We have used them twice now, they snorkel (I stay on the boat) and see the rays. Chip is fantastic, he is really about the experience. He has a catamaran and can get into great position for your mother. And it is a small group (only 13 the first time and 7 the second). If you book with them just make sure when emailing Michelle state your concern. Also the day of remind Chip and he will work to get the best spot. First time out with Chip was an absolutely wonderful day and we had a perfect experience. (The water was maybe chest high). So much so on our next cruise with friends we took them. Mother Nature had other plans, the waves were rather high. So Chip had us snorkel first hoping the waves would die down. then we tried the rays. If the waves had been calm I was in 2-3 feet of water, but the waves were over my head. I talked to Chip and I told him I know my limits. I was able to feed one ray, took two waves and was out. Chip was by my side the whole time until I was safely on the boat. My husband was too but it speaks to Chips professionalism. Hope this helps from one non swimmer to another.

Edited by Whoop98

I too am a non swimmer! I researched and found Stingray Sailings. We have used them twice now, they snorkel (I stay on the boat) and see the rays. Chip is fantastic, he is really about the experience. He has a catamaran and can get into great position for your mother. And it is a small group (only 13 the first time and 7 the second). If you book with them just make sure when emailing Michelle state your concern. Also the day of remind Chip and he will work to get the best spot. First time out with Chip was an absolutely wonderful day and we had a perfect experience. (The water was maybe chest high). So much so on our next cruise with friends we took them. Mother Nature had other plans, the waves were rather high. So Chip had us snorkel first hoping the waves would die down. then we tried the rays. If the waves had been calm I was in 2-3 feet of water, but the waves were over my head. I talked to Chip and I told him I know my limits. I was able to feed one ray, took two waves and was out. Chip was by my side the whole time until I was safely on the boat. My husband was too but it speaks to Chips professionalism. Hope this helps from one non swimmer to another.

Thanks so much for your detailed description of your experience as a non-swimmer. That is really helpful!

No swimming needed. You can stand in the water. You also wear a life jacket. We have taken our daughter twice now, once last year when she was 4 and again last week (she's now 5) and there were no problems. :)

Good to know! Thanks for posting. Mom says "go for it".

Good to know! Thanks for posting. Mom says "go for it".

You will have a blast. We had several people on our tour that didn't swim and they did it AND they also did the snorkeling in the deeper water (with life jacket) as well with no problems. It's an amazing site and experience.

I am currently starting my review from our cruise. When I get to the stingray portion, I'll come back and post a link. :)

It depends on where your boat anchors and what the water conditions are. We were there earlier this month and the tide was higher than normal and it was choppy (I asked because it was not what I expected). There was a gap from the boat to where most of us could stand. You did need to be able to swim to reach the sand bar. I was on a Celebrity excursion and the guys on the boat were great and carried over whoever could not swim or whoever was nervous because it was choppy. Shorter people were also having trouble on the sand bar because the water was too deep that day. Without a doubt, the guys made sure everyone who wanted to get out there did, but some people decided not to go in and others got right out again. Our boat did have life jackets for those who wanted one.

Edited by Jen1000

Do you have to book an excursion or can you just take a boat out once you get there on shore and go in? What is the best/inexpensive way?

If you own a boat in Cayman, then yes, you can just take that boat out to Stingray City whenever you like. Without your own boat, you definitely need to book an excursion... :grin: You can wait and hope to find a cheap excursion at the port area when you get there, but those are likely going to be the large group "cattle car" boats without a lot of personal attention, etc. The best way and the most inexpensive way are not necessarily the same thing in this case.

When you get off the ship there are people there selling excursions, including to the sting rays. You will probably be able to book one on the spot, assuming they are not all filled. I would think how many ships in port would come in to play as to whether there will be space. There are several private operators you can book with ahead of time. When I tried to book with several they were already full so I booked with Celebrity.

Do you have to book an excursion or can you just take a boat out once you get there on shore and go in? What is the best/inexpensive way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just thought I would add to this...

I have my complete review done with Nativeway if you are interested in viewing it HERE. Just make sure you look for the right post number. It starts around 318.

I have TONS of pictures in the review from that day.

This might help you get a better idea of the excursion with Nativeways and what to expect. :)

I just thought I would add to this...

I have my complete review done with Nativeway if you are interested in viewing it HERE. Just make sure you look for the right post number. It starts around 318.

I have TONS of pictures in the review from that day.

This might help you get a better idea of the excursion with Nativeways and what to expect. :)

Thanks very much! I loved reading your review and enjoying your pictures! Can't wait till we go in Feb.

• 2 months later...

My mom and I just got back, and we loved the stingray excursion! We chose Stingray Sailing. My mom is such a trooper. She tried the snorkeling, but was more comfortable just floating on a ring at the snorkel site. At Stingray City, we had very calm water. When we got off the boat, the water was about chest deep for us short people, but it was an easy walk to the sandbar, which was about waist deep. Thanks for all your input and encouraging us to "go for it".

My mom and I just got back, and we loved the stingray excursion! We chose Stingray Sailing. My mom is such a trooper. She tried the snorkeling, but was more comfortable just floating on a ring at the snorkel site. At Stingray City, we had very calm water. When we got off the boat, the water was about chest deep for us short people, but it was an easy walk to the sandbar, which was about waist deep. Thanks for all your input and encouraging us to "go for it".

Sounds like you had a wonderful experience. I'm so happy that you went for it and your mom was able to enjoy herself. :)

Your boat will anchor just off the side of the sandbar and you may need to swim 5 - 10 feet to the sandbar. Sometimes they'll drop you at the sandbar and then anchor off but you may need to jump a few feet. We were with many non-swimmers (I'm not that good) and no worries, they wore a lifevest as well. On the sandbar itself it's chest deep for me (5'7").

One excellent way to enjoy this tour is with Fat Fish Adventures on a jet skil. Amazing day and quite an experience. We've done it a few times both ways and this time with FFA our encounter was much more personal with the rays.

Karen .... Thanks so much for reporting back!

Happy you were lucky enough (not always the case) to have a good anchor location on a calm day. :)

LuLu

~~~~

So glad you tried it and enjoyed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just be aware that when the boats are there they are generally there together and depending when you arrive you may have to get off in deeper water. Not a problem for non-swimmers as you can wear a life vest.

With FFA you will likely have few or no boats there and it can be much more personal. Just another option...