Laraine - your Riviera impressionS

LadyCruisers

I still love the r ships. Lol

Ship is beautiful

Food as expected. Very good

Had a divine meal in Jacques. My first experience in Jacques on marina was so so. This meal was exceptional

Took a bistro cooking class today. Just terrific. It is the only thing that will be missing from the r ships after the refurb

O now has Zumba. Thank u fdr!

We are traveling with my ta and he is a lot of fun. I am in Caribbean only because of him. Lol

Grand Turk today. Beyond boring. We got off ship for an hour. I will never do another Caribbean cruise. I prefer history, culture and more interesting places. Next trip is egypt.

Roy Perez does a good job as cd. I like him

We have been invited to dine with the gm in red ginger. No idea why. Lol

I have nothing planned. No excursions. Nothing. A real rest. Met some great guys in their nineties at the pool!!!! Inspiring. There are some kids on this cruise. I don't think from us. Also some 30 somethings. Demographic varies cruise to cruise.

Missed the show last night. Was told it was amateurish. I almost never go to shows on o.

Ship is rocking a lot. Folks are commenting. Weather is fine. Not sure why it is happening

Too many people for me. I still think intimacy is lost. Can't wait for my next three o cruises on Nautica and regatta.

I went to the future cruise presentation today. I go every cruise

This was the worst I have ever seen

The sales rep READ from a script the entire time

It was boring

Her intonation was off as if she did not understand what she was reading

She mispronounced many of the ports

There was no interaction with the audience

People hung around for the raffle for the obc

I doubt she motivated anyone to purchase a cruise

I comment because most of these presentations are done really well.

The reps are usually fabulous

There is applause at the end

I noted on comment card. Very surprising.

Also surprising but I guess it is standard in the Caribbean are the tacky shopping presentations with so called approved stores and coupons. Much like celebrity. I guess I did not expect on o but they probably make a buck on store referrals.

There is a shopping czar on board. Lol. I could teach him a few things. Lolol

Art auctions are covered on tv. Easy to turn off. Not an issue for us.

Toscana tonight. Chef Curtis (who is teaching this cruise) told me that none of the olive oils in Toscana is really any good. He teaches classes at CIA about olive oil. I am looking forward to the chocolate ravioli

these really all negative posts are bad for newbies. Also for someone like me, it is aggravating because I tend to look at each glass as nearly full, not empty. To focus on the negative with comments as usual about your invitations with officers is really a downer for a lot of people. I know, and most of us know you like the R ships, and I do too...but can you focus on what is good. For myself and some others who really LOVE the Riviera, we know some other people would also love it. What is good to one is often not another's cup of tea. Please, could you tell what is good and maybe just not focus on what is bad. You have a comment card for things such as the rep...not good that the presentation was read from a script, agreed. However...there MUST be some good things??? And, incidentally, I LOVE the Caribbean and some others might too. I also LOVE the historic ports...just let us find the good things???

I still love the r ships. Lol

Ship is beautiful

Food as expected. Very good

Had a divine meal in Jacques. My first experience in Jacques on marina was so so. This meal was exceptional

Took a bistro cooking class today. Just terrific. It is the only thing that will be missing from the r ships after the refurb

O now has Zumba. Thank u fdr!

We are traveling with my ta and he is a lot of fun. I am in Caribbean only because of him.

Roy Perez does a good job as cd. I like him

We have been invited to dine with the gm in red ginger. No idea why. Lol

I think the beginning of Loraine's review had many positives. Thanks for taking the time to let us know your opinion.

Edited by orchestrapal

and most irritating to me are the constant references to invitations from various officers. I think I brought this up once to her. Believe me, this is just an irritant to me, but to some people who have made tons of cruises without an invitation, it is quite off putting. It is not in good taste in my opinion.

I think the beginning of Loraine's review had many positives. Thanks for taking the time to let us know your opinion.

Thank for reading my posts in their entirety

I state the positive and the negative

I do not know what caroldoll is reading. If my posts irritate you, don't read them. Life is too short

Some folks just want to be the post police

I am going to call it as I see it

If you want sugar coating look elsewhere

I don't love this ship. Let's those who do rave about it unabashedly

I think we got some of those posts from the ta

I am not going to make stuff up to please those who want to read love notes to the ship.

Dinner in Toscana tonight very good

Love those chocolate ravioli

Laraine, Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions with this forum. I always appreciate when anyone is willing to take time to post "live" whether it be pro or con. Everything about travelling is subjective, and what may be good for one may not be good for another. One person's opinion will not be the determining factor as to weather or not I choose to go or which ship or hotel I select. I do my homework, check various resources and make informed choices. No matter what, anytime I'm traveling it's good. Some are better than others but all good - sometimes you come away even discovering things you don' care for. There are a few places in the world I have no desire to go for various reasons, and would not be shy about sharing my opinion if the occasion warranted. Also, this is Cruise "Critic" so I expect the positive with the negative remembering that it is the poster's opinion only. I use my filters and determine what is important to me to factor into my decision making. I have sailed the R ships and will again in July for the Viking Odyssey itinerary. I would love to try Marina or Riviera if it was the right itinerary and the right time. Am enjoying the feedback on O in the Caribbean and in particular the Riviera.

Laraine, Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions with this forum. I always appreciate when anyone is willing to take time to post "live" whether it be pro or con. Everything about travelling is subjective, and what may be good for one may not be good for another. One person's opinion will not be the determining factor as to weather or not I choose to go or which ship or hotel I select. I do my homework, check various resources and make informed choices. No matter what, anytime I'm traveling it's good. Some are better than others but all good - sometimes you come away even discovering things you don' care for. There are a few places in the world I have no desire to go for various reasons, and would not be shy about sharing my opinion if the occasion warranted. Also, this is Cruise "Critic" so I expect the positive with the negative remembering that it is the poster's opinion only. I use my filters and determine what is important to me to factor into my decision making. I have sailed the R ships and will again in July for the Viking Odyssey itinerary. I would love to try Marina or Riviera if it was the right itinerary and the right time. Am enjoying the feedback on O in the Caribbean and in particular the Riviera.

Yep. My opinion only. Others certainly will feel differently I, like you, do my homework. I want to hear criticism in these forums. Helps me make informed decisions. If you want only glowing stuff, read the marketing materials. Lol

Looking forward to sailing with you on a refurbished Nautica next July.

Tomorrow it's a shop till u drop day in st. Maarten.

Both negatives and positives are certainly welcome. However, for the benefit of "newbies", it is helpful to know what the background of the poster is. For instance, your background is with Oceania's smaller ships. Our background is with Regent. Although Regent ships are approximately the size of Oceania's smaller ships, we selected the Riviera because we were interested in sailing on a newer ship. The size was secondary (although we do generally prefer ships that hold about 400 passengers...... i.e. Silversea's Shadow or Whisper).

A close friend of ours has sailed many types of ships -- from Norwegian to multiple Crystal cruises, a Seabourn cruise, a Silversea cruise and a couple of Regent cruises. She and her husband also sailed on one of Oceania's smaller ships and found the décor wonderful. However, when they discovered the Riviera, they cancelled all of their Crystal cruises and booked multiple Riviera cruises. This is now the only cruise ship they will sail on (and they book the Owner's Suite).

Posters have different opinions and there is no right or wrong. For us, we would sail Oceania again but only on the Riviera or Marina if they had an itinerary that we liked. For us, Regent is the perfect cruise line. The one thing Regent and Oceania have in common is incredible service and an amazing crew. When we return to Regent, it is like going to our second home. It sounds like pacheco18 feels the same way about Oceania's smaller ships.

Note: I personally resent the smaller ships being called "R" ships. Yes -- I get the connection with the long gone (aka dead) Renaissance cruises (the long gone cruise line also has ships owned by Princess and Azamara and is not associated only with Oceania). However, "R" means Regent to many people and is very much alive. Calling Oceania/Princess/Azamara ships "R" ships is confusing when used in connection with Oceania. Just my humble opinion.

Whew -- I've wanted to say that for a very long time.

Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and safe and Happy New Year!

Edited by Travelcat2

One of the reasons we have not sailed on the Riviera is that it spends too long in the Caribbean. We have done enough cruises on other lines in that area and do not wish to do so again. One of these days they may offer an itinerary that we want to do and we will try it at that time. At the moment only the smaller ships are offering the itineraries that we wish to sail.:D

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and sometimes each one of us irritates others with one or another of our postings. The one who is irritated must just ignore that particular post and read the ones that they like.:)

Sorry, but \I find you comments superior ,rude and just totally inappropriate. There are beautiful places everywhere in the world and to trash the carrribean is so snobbish and actually absurd. obviously Europe has more to offer in terms of culture and history but that is not the point. You knew where you were going for god's sake.!!!! What did you expect, Could you not enjoy sun, sea and service on the ship as well as some stunning beaches. Some people are never happy and it is truly not relative to wealth. Cheers R.

Sorry, but \I find you comments superior ,rude and just totally inappropriate. There are beautiful places everywhere in the world and to trash the carrribean is so snobbish and actually absurd. obviously Europe has more to offer in terms of culture and history but that is not the point. You knew where you were going for god's sake.!!!! What did you expect, Could you not enjoy sun, sea and service on the ship as well as some stunning beaches. Some people are never happy and it is truly not relative to wealth. Cheers R.

Absurd reaction

I am happy everywhere I go

I find the Caribbean to be a vast shopping wasteland

Beautiful? Compared to Iowa yes

Not compared to Hawaii or French Polynesia

If you think it's wonderful, good for you

There is nothing snobbish about my post. Just honest

I am having a ball

I am not complaining. I am making an observation MY opinion. If u have a different one post it. But ad hominem attacks are improper on these boards. Say something wonderful about the Caribbean if u love it rather than call me names. Lol

Of course I knew where I was going duh

I wanted to sail with my ta and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

We get off the ship for two hours max in each port. It's like a transAtlantic . Lol

Tonight meeting a cc couple for drinks--a couple to whom I once recommended a whole bunch of private tours.

Dinner at red ginger

My favorite f&b manager is on board and he is just charming. He talks to everyone. He wants to know everyone loves the food. Too bad I was not the one who organized the cc get together for this cruise. When he is on board I can wangle canapés. Lol. He is a doll

My husband always complains about the coffee on a ship. All ships. I tend to agree. Today he discovered baristas. He is now happy with the coffee. I just drink lattes to avoid the coffee. Works for me

Yes tc. I love the smaller Oceania ships. They feel like home to me. You'd be amazed how many of the crew feel the same way. Bigger is not always better.

Would I cruise on marina or riviera again? It would have to be an itinerary so unique that I could not find it elsewhere. I know better than to say never.

One of the reasons we have not sailed on the Riviera is that it spends too long in the Caribbean. We have done enough cruises on other lines in that area and do not wish to do so again. One of these days they may offer an itinerary that we want to do and we will try it at that time. At the moment only the smaller ships are offering the itineraries that we wish to sail.:D

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and sometimes each one of us irritates others with one or another of our postings. The one who is irritated must just ignore that particular post and read the ones that they like.:)

Just wanted to say that I understood your post. There is a Regent ship that we no longer sail because it is mostly in South America. There is nothing wrong with South America (or the Caribbean) - there are just other itineraries that we have not tried. We are also itinerary driven:)

...Note: I personally resent the smaller ships being called "R" ships. Yes -- I get the connection with the long gone (aka dead) Renaissance cruises (the long gone cruise line also has ships owned by Princess and Azamara and is not associated only with Oceania). However, "R" means Regent to many people and is very much alive. Calling Oceania/Princess/Azamara ships "R" ships is confusing when used in connection with Oceania. Just my humble opinion...

TC, you're more than entitled to your opinion, but it's a little biased. The fact that Renaissance built 8 ships all named "R1" through "R8" is reason enough to call all 8 of them "R" ships, regardless of who owns them now.

I think that Renaissance predated the name "Regent", unless the "R" actually reminds you of "Radisson".

But, more importantly, the first in the line of Oceania ships was named "Regatta", and this is partly the reason for calling the other ships in her class (Insignia and Nautica) "R" ships -- shorthand for "Regatta Class".

There are several cruise lines starting with "R", and few of their passengers have sailed with Regent, so I doubt they would have the same association with "R". Further, I've never heard anyone associated with Regent call Navigator, Mariner or Voyager an "R" ship, but almost everyone who ever heard of Renaissance instantly knows which ships you mean when you mention an "R" ship.

Just my humble opinion :D.

TC, you're more than entitled to your opinion, but it's a little biased. The fact that Renaissance built 8 ships all named "R1" through "R8" is reason enough to call all 8 of them "R" ships, regardless of who owns them now.

I think that Renaissance predated the name "Regent", unless the "R" actually reminds you of "Radisson".

But, more importantly, the first in the line of Oceania ships was named "Regatta", and this is partly the reason for calling the other ships in her class (Insignia and Nautica) "R" ships -- shorthand for "Regatta Class".

There are several cruise lines starting with "R", and few of their passengers have sailed with Regent, so I doubt they would have the same association with "R". Further, I've never heard anyone associated with Regent call Navigator, Mariner or Voyager an "R" ship, but almost everyone who ever heard of Renaissance instantly knows which ships you mean when you mention an "R" ship.

Just my humble opinion :D.

+1

Well said Don.

I think the majority of the cruising population would associated ships called Navigator, Mariner or Voyager with the "of the Seas " brand & not an R-ship

JMO

;)

Perhaps mainstream cruisers would..... however, Regent is a sister to Oceania and, IMO, deserves to be recognized (just as we recognize Oceania on the Regent board). This is just my opinion and I don't expect it to change anything. Personally, I will not refer to a dead cruise line as if it were still here. In a way, it demeans the smaller Oceania ships. From what I have read, the three little ships are much more luxurious and upscale than Renaissance (may she rest in peace). Younger cruisers would have no idea what Renaissance even refers to.

Travelcat,

Another reason those of us "Renaissance Survivors" call them "R" ships is because they started out life as the R1, R2, and etc. So for us they are the "R" ships. Regent passengers may well be taken aback at the "R" ship term but you are the first I've seen to say so. (Doesn't mean it isn't true, just that we haven't seen it here.)

For me, I will continue to call them the "R" ships because on the Oceania board it's an easy distinction between the older ships and the newer "O" ships.

If I were posting on the Regent board (not likely since we have yet to travel on Regent although we certainly haven't ruled that out), I'd be more careful in my terminology.

Mura

Travelcat,

Another reason those of us "Renaissance Survivors" call them "R" ships is because they started out life as the R1, R2, and etc. So for us they are the "R" ships. Regent passengers may well be taken aback at the "R" ship term but you are the first I've seen to say so. (Doesn't mean it isn't true, just that we haven't seen it here.)

For me, I will continue to call them the "R" ships because on the Oceania board it's an easy distinction between the older ships and the newer "O" ships.

If I were posting on the Regent board (not likely since we have yet to travel on Regent although we certainly haven't ruled that out), I'd be more careful in my terminology.

Mura

Oh Mura you put that so well and I will also continue to refer to them as we knew them when as R ships.

Mura

I agree with you

Oceania has the R class & the O class ships both classes are great for us ;)

Lyn

Jackie I think you need to take on board (no pun intended!!) the fact that Renaissance cruises were around, and those ships called the "R" ships, long before the "merger" of Oceania and Regent under PCH. So why on earth shouldn't they still be called the "R" ships? It helps differentiate them from Marina and Riviera - the "O" class ships - which are lots larger and (as I understand it anyway) quite different.

Doesn't bother me one iota. I have never referred to either Radisson OR Regent as "The R Line"

Gerry

This post may irritate some so fair warning

Don't read if my posts irritate u

I found out why I was invited to dinner with the gm, Thierry Tholon. His girlfriend is Natalie (former social hostess on O) with whom I became quite friendly on a transatlantic cruise in late 2011. Natalie is sailing with us and she looked over the passenger list, saw my name and told her boyfriend Thierry that she wanted to have dinner with me. Lol

So the four of us dined in red ginger. Thierry wanted comments, information, opinions about everything cruising. He was interested in my Azamara experience. He took plenty of notes. It was nice to see Natalie again and great to be able to speak frankly with someone who is truly interested in the guest experience. He is a class act.

Btw. Met a couple on their 17 th o cruise. They have been invited to dine with the gm in privee. Divine

St Barth today. This island feels like Europe You need to own a yacht to fit in here. We had two coffees for $12. There is a unique skin care line here called ligne st Bart's. Very exclusive. So I shopped here for myself and for some friends

There was a deck party last night. We did not attend but I heard it was great