Ketchican & Skagway help? Please and thank you...

langleyfld

We will be in Skagway in May 2014. We've been before and did the bus ride up and train ride back down. Need suggestions for this trip!

Also if anyone has experienced a floatplane tour to Misty Fjord in Ketchikan, would love to hear from you!

Edited by langleyfld
spell

We will be in Skagway in May 2014. We've been before and did the bus ride up and train ride back down. Need suggestions for this trip!

Also if anyone has experienced a floatplane tour to Misty Fjord in Ketchikan, would love to hear from you!

Are you looking for other ideas in Skagway? I booked the scenic Bennett Journey through Chilkoot and had a wonderful time on this tour.

In Ketchikan I booked a float plane ride to the Misty Fjords with Michelle of Island Wings. Another great tour and very professional. I just received a Christmas card--- what an unexpected surprise! We were in Ketchikan in June and our weather was perfect. If you are interested book this excursion early because they tend to sell out.

If I booked another trip to Alaska I would do both of these tours again.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Edited by world_traveler_et

Are you looking for other ideas in Skagway? I booked the scenic Bennett Journey through Chilkoot and had a wonderful time on this tour.

In Ketchikan I booked a float plane ride to the Misty Fjords with Michelle of Island Wings. Another great tour and very professional. I just received a Christmas card--- what an unexpected surprise! We were in Ketchikan in June and our weather was perfect. If you are interested book this excursion early because they tend to sell out.

If I booked another trip to Alaska I would do both of these tours again.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Can you tell me how many people can fit in the plane for the Misty Fjords excursion? Or weight limit?

Can you tell me how many people can fit in the plane for the Misty Fjords excursion? Or weight limit?

Ours had 5 passengers and a 250 weight limit. I think you paid more if you were over the limit.

I personally hated this tour, but apparently I am in the minority.

Ours had 5 passengers and a 250 weight limit. I think you paid more if you were over the limit.

Can you tell me the reasons you hated the tour? We are considering it and I go back and forth. Just interested to hear a different view. Thanks!

Michelle's plane holds 6 passengers plus the pilot. There is a seventh seat for another passenger, but unless it is a group of 7 that wants to travel together, she does not sell that seventh seat since it is not a window seat.

There is not an individual weight limit, but she does ask your weight on the reservation to ensure that the overall weight of the passenger load for a given flight will be okay. There is no extra charge for being more than 250 pounds or anything like that. Michelle does distribute the passenger seating in the plane to make it balanced -- without embarrassing anyone!

We had a fantastic time. I'm curious why you did not like it, Coral? Of course everyone's experiences are different, but as you say, you are in the minority, so it might be helpful to explain what you did not like about it, so that someone else who might feel the same way might gain some insight.

Lots of photos and information are in my blog.

Can you tell me the reasons you hated the tour? We are considering it and I go back and forth. Just interested to hear a different view. Thanks!

We had a fantastic time. I'm curious why you did not like it, Coral? Of course everyone's experiences are different, but as you say, you are in the minority, so it might be helpful to explain what you did not like about it, so that someone else who might feel the same way might gain some insight.

Lots of photos and information are in my blog.

First, let me say I have never been air sick or sea sick before (or since). I live in a city that used to have 11-13 passenger planes out of my town and flew them often before our city moved to 50 passenger planes.

I booked the plane/boat combo through the cruise line. There were 2 couples and myself as my friend didn't want to go. I am not sure if there was a lot of turbulance that day but I couldn't wait to land. When we did land, I asked if the other people felt sick (I didn't throw up but felt like I wanted to) and they all nodded with me and said they felt sick also. I was glad I was not alone.

Sickness aside, I am a photographer and the windows were like a thick plastic and were not clear. So all of my pictures turned out with what looks like a dirty film.

And honestly, once I got down on land (loved the float plane landing) and boarded the boat for the ride back, I preferred the views from below better. I know others disagree.

While I won't go out of my way to recommend the boat ride as there was only a short time when the scenery was fantastic in Misty Fiords and as we left Misty Fiords area, it was similar to just being on the ship. Not bad, just not as fantastic as being near Misty Fiords.

On our flight we had six passengers and Michelle, the pilot. Michelle asked who were photographers in the group. She said the best seat for taking pictures is the far back seat. You get views from both sides of the airplane because you are the only one sitting in that seat. The next best seat was the co-pilot seat. Michelle likes to vary who sits in the prime seats and has one person from the different groups sitting in those seats and rotates on the way back.

Michelle's take offs and landings were very smooth. I was traveling with someone who always gets sick on large airplanes and was just fine on Michelle's flight. We were traveling in June and it was warm. Michelle said to take off layers so that you weren't warm which tends can make you nauseous.

The pilot did a great job--she assisted my mom getting out of the plane onto the pontoons and onto land safely. My mom was just going to stay inside the airplane when we did the water landing.

Michelle tours are not booked through the cruise line--you must book directly with their company.

If you are looking for another tour in Skagway other than doing the train/bus excursion again--you may want to consider doing Temsco's pilot choice tour. I took their tour in Juneau and would consider doing it in Skagway as well. This is a helicopter tour that lands on two different glaciers.

First, let me say I have never been air sick or sea sick before (or since). I live in a city that used to have 11-13 passenger planes out of my town and flew them often before our city moved to 50 passenger planes.

I booked the plane/boat combo through the cruise line. There were 2 couples and myself as my friend didn't want to go. I am not sure if there was a lot of turbulance that day but I couldn't wait to land. When we did land, I asked if the other people felt sick (I didn't throw up but felt like I wanted to) and they all nodded with me and said they felt sick also. I was glad I was not alone.

Sickness aside, I am a photographer and the windows were like a thick plastic and were not clear. So all of my pictures turned out with what looks like a dirty film.

And honestly, once I got down on land (loved the float plane landing) and boarded the boat for the ride back, I preferred the views from below better. I know others disagree.

While I won't go out of my way to recommend the boat ride as there was only a short time when the scenery was fantastic in Misty Fiords and as we left Misty Fiords area, it was similar to just being on the ship. Not bad, just not as fantastic as being near Misty Fiords.

Coral did not fly with Island Wings. Michelle takes great pride in her float plane and the windows are very clean. I took some amazing photographs and video using my Canon Rebel. Michelle makes sure that the photographers need to keep their lens away from the window glass in order to not scratch the glass--otherwise, it ruins the view for everyone.

Coral did not fly with Island Wings. Michelle takes great pride in her float plane and the windows are very clean. I took some amazing photographs and video using my Canon Rebel. Michelle makes sure that the photographers need to keep their lens away from the window glass in order to not scratch the glass--otherwise, it ruins the view for everyone.

I flew with ProMech.

We did a Misty Pford by boat with the float plane back. About an hour from the ship out to the area the plane would meet us. Lots of wildlife viewing on the boat. Actually saw a bear swimming. Well some of the bear, only the head was above water and a paw now and again. So did the sight seeing there and flew back to the ship.

The plane taking us back to the ship had brought passengers from the ship and they would take the boat ride back. Very cool.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and the time to reply.

We've made our decision for Ketchikan and have booked a floatplane for that port.

Still working on Skagway. Has anyone used Dyer Dave for a tour to the Yukon (Emerald and Bennett Lakes). Haven't heard back from him.

We had a wonderful tour booked with Dyea Dave. We actually had another guide, as Dave was in another van, but we really enjoyed our guide. It was a gorgeous day -- we were blessed with great weather pretty much our whole trip.

9194851664_511bc42357_c.jpg

DSC_0327 by suegee57, on Flickr

9192077259_c8ec3ede79_c.jpg

DSC_0334 by suegee57, on Flickr

9194922474_5202da493a_c.jpg

IMG_0718 by suegee57, on Flickr

9195002934_0bf8650c8a_c.jpg

IMG_0764 by suegee57, on Flickr

9195040360_888b7bffcb_c.jpg

IMG_0723 by suegee57, on Flickr

9195140904_a950a97dd0_c.jpg

DSC_0435 by suegee57, on Flickr

Ketchikan...consider the Bering Sea Crab tour...amazing good fun.

The best tour by far I have ever taken on or off a cruise ship. We booked it ourselves and saved a few dollars. Do it early before they are all booked up.

Sue

I was bored out of my mind. Good to know I'm not the only one. :eek:

I thought I was going to see glaciers............DUH!

The train ride in Skagway bored me to death too.

Edited by Sillyjilly

The best tour by far I have ever taken on or off a cruise ship. We booked it ourselves and saved a few dollars. Do it early before they are all booked up.

Sue

Is the Bering Sea Crab Tour as enjoyable if we have never watched the show on tv?

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and the time to reply.

We've made our decision for Ketchikan and have booked a floatplane for that port.

Still working on Skagway. Has anyone used Dyer Dave for a tour to the Yukon (Emerald and Bennett Lakes). Haven't heard back from him.

I loved Michelle "Island Wings" flight and would definitely do it again.

Haven't used Dyea Dave but have used Chilkoot Charters several times.

It may be difficult to reach some of those companies right now as they are probably on holiday.