Transatlantic Cruise: Star vs. Epic

dongordon

My wife and I are planning on celebrating our 45th Anniversary with a Trnsatlantic Cruise Vacation in April 2015.

The two NCL ships are the Star of the Epic.

The choices I have to make is to leave from Miami (both cruises) to Europe in April 2015:

Epic: 11 day Transatlantic cruise stopping only at Funchal Madiera and disembarking in Barcelona (then flying on to Paris)

or

Star: 14 Day Transatlantic cruise stopping at Azores, London, Amsterdam and disembarking in Copenhagen (then flying to Paris)

Both are close in price.

The Epic is probably the better ship, but the Star's itinerary is better.

My concerns are:

Is the Star still a nice ship even thought it is much older than the Epic (and because of the many days at sea, is this a major factor?)

Are the air fares much higher flying from Copenhagen to Paris than Barcelona to Paris (or basically the same)?

Also, I would also stay overnight in either Barcelona or Copenhagen (depending which ship I chose). Is Barcelona nicer than Copenhagen or are both interesting cities to see?

Also, we have never been to Europe.

We are staying 6 days in Paris since that is my DW's "dream" and flying back to NY from there.

Which would you choose?

Don

We're booked on the Epic but weren't aware of the Star option until reading your post.

Barcelona is a wonderful city and we'd love to visit it again. Unfortunately this time we have limited time, and will be flying out right after disembarkation.

Whichever you decide, enjoy. A day on a cruise is much better than a day at work. :)

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Edited by anandaindonesia

I would base it just on the ports. The Star is better, IMHO, but the Epic trip should be slightly warmer with it being the Med. rather than the northern route.

Also, I saw that there is a new high speed train service from Barcelona to Paris that just opened up making the trip just six hours. The flights in Europe are pretty inexpensive, though, so that isn't a big issue.

We just did the west bound TA on the Star in October and we had a wonderful time. I don't think the Star shows her age at all. The only thing I didn't care for on the Star was the buffet seating - it was very "school cafeteria like." But of all the cruises we have done, including one on Epic, this was our favorite.

Barcelona and Copenhagen are both great cities. I don't think you can go wrong, no matter which you choose.

I've taken the Epic TA twice and have been on the Star twice but not for a TA. Which you choose should be based on what you're looking for. For me one reason was purely psychological, I felt comfortable on a larger ship crossing the ocean, I also knew that there was tons of entertainment on the Epic and I always meet folks and wind up hanging out in O'Shenanigans (O'Sheehans) in the wee hours of the morning. Yes there is a pub on the Star but it's smaller and I'm not sure if it serves 24 hour food. Besides I love water slides and the Epic has one of my favorites.

You'd probably find more families on the Epic, so if you're trying to avoid children the Star is probably a better choice, though with all of the space on the Epic they're pretty easy to avoid. However if you want to be around a younger demographic I can tell you that the Epic TA has quite a few people between their 20s-40s for the TA. Not the majority but definitely a lot.

You have more days on the Star so depending on the price it's often a better bang for your buck.

If the above doesn't matter to you, I'd choose it based on port city. Barcelona is gorgeous and will be warmer but Copenhagen has a lot to offer too.

What would I choose? The Epic. However that's not because I don't think the Star is worth the trip. I think she's a pretty ship. Whatever you choose enjoy your trip!

I would choose the Star, mainly because I prefer a ship of her size. One thing to consider (Barcelona experts, please correct me if this has changed!) is that when a ship has Spain on her itinerary then ALL purchases on the ship will be subject to VAT.

Depending on your purchasing habits on a cruise, that could be significant!

Also, the SJ suites are the bargain of NCL. They are very affordable and they are FULL suites!

I would choose the Star, mainly because I prefer a ship of her size. One thing to consider (Barcelona experts, please correct me if this has changed!) is that when a ship has Spain on her itinerary then ALL purchases on the ship will be subject to VAT.

Depending on your purchasing habits on a cruise, that could be significant!

Also, the SJ suites are the bargain of NCL. They are very affordable and they are FULL suites!

VAT only applies if the cruise doesn't leave the EU (like the 7-day Med cruises). It wouldn't apply here.

I would vote Star because of the itinerary. Barcelona is nice, but I really loved Copenhagen. It is such a gorgeous city with very little crime.

We just spent 12 days on the Star and loved her. She's in great shape, the crew was wonderful, and I just prefer a ship where you have plenty of areas to see the ocean. (The Epic is very limited in that aspect.)

If it were me I would choose the Star. My favorite ship is the Sun, because I like smaller ships. The Star is more like the Sun than the Epic is. Another reason is because I cruise in suites and I enjoy a ship with fewer suites as well.

For me a smaller ship feels would probably feel less crowded on sea days and with a TA there are a few. I did a TA on the Jewel and it was great.

But your likes and dislikes may differ. Just food for thought... Oh no, food is subjective too... just kidding... wink.

Thanks so much to all of you for your answers to my questions.

I am leaning towards the Star based on all the coments.

Has anyone ever had an Aft-Facing Balcony or an Aft Facing Suite on the Star?

Also, I thought I saw somewhere that the Star was being refurbished in 2015. Does anyone have knowledge of that and if so, when it would take place?

Thanks again....still looking for your opinions if anyone else would like to comment.

Don

PS: Please tell me what is "VAT?"

I've taken the Epic TA twice and have been on the Star twice but not for a TA. Which you choose should be based on what you're looking for. For me one reason was purely psychological, I felt comfortable on a larger ship crossing the ocean, I also knew that there was tons of entertainment on the Epic and I always meet folks and wind up hanging out in O'Shenanigans (O'Sheehans) in the wee hours of the morning. Yes there is a pub on the Star but it's smaller and I'm not sure if it serves 24 hour food. Besides I love water slides and the Epic has one of my favorites.

You'd probably find more families on the Epic, so if you're trying to avoid children the Star is probably a better choice, though with all of the space on the Epic they're pretty easy to avoid. However if you want to be around a younger demographic I can tell you that the Epic TA has quite a few people between their 20s-40s for the TA. Not the majority but definitely a lot.

You have more days on the Star so depending on the price it's often a better bang for your buck.

If the above doesn't matter to you, I'd choose it based on port city. Barcelona is gorgeous and will be warmer but Copenhagen has a lot to offer too.

What would I choose? The Epic. However that's not because I don't think the Star is worth the trip. I think she's a pretty ship. Whatever you choose enjoy your trip!

Agree that it's based on what you are looking for and how much time you have. If the ports the Star is visiting are key, go with the Star. We did it on the Epic and had a fabulous time. I felt sorry for those who got on for the 7 day after that as they had little time to enjoy all the shows and we got to see them as many times as we wanted. The ship was about half full that time. There were only a few children onboard when we crossed and I think a number of those were officers' children. I prefer Barcelona to Copenhagen but that is a personal preference. We wanted the seven day which followed the Epic TA and ended up doing the TA, 4 day in between, and the 7 day.

I was on the Star TA this past April--our first NCL cruise since the SS Norway. While we certainly enjoyed ourselves, it did strike me that sailings with seven straight sea days are not really NCL's cup of tea. A larger ship will handle the seas a bit better; everything in the cabin that could creak or rattle did so. Due to the wind and waves most outdoor activites ended up abandoned, but whenever the sun did peek through the loungers on deck filled up even in strong winds. Unlike port-intensive cruises eveyone on a TA tends to settle into a routine; on the Star the main routine was everyone heading for dinner at the same time! We ended up going to the specialty restaurants a few more times then planned, but in the end it was worth it--so plan to budget either multiple specialty dinners or lots of time with a pager. If I had to give you an answer, I would say that if I booked another TA it would be on a larger ship--but for my next Panama Canal cruise I will absolutely consider the Star or one of her twins.

Edited by fishywood

Thanks so much to all of you for your answers to my questions.

I am leaning towards the Star based on all the coments.

Has anyone ever had an Aft-Facing Balcony or an Aft Facing Suite on the Star?

Also, I thought I saw somewhere that the Star was being refurbished in 2015. Does anyone have knowledge of that and if so, when it would take place?

Thanks again....still looking for your opinions if anyone else would like to comment.

Don

PS: Please tell me what is "VAT?"

I have sailed in both and aft suite and an aft balcony. We had the suite on deck 9 on the far port side and loved it for it's wrap around balcony.

Both rooms were in very good shape.

VAT is Value Added Tax. Sales tax in Europe.

Agree that it's based on what you are looking for and how much time you have. If the ports the Star is visiting are key, go with the Star. We did it on the Epic and had a fabulous time. I felt sorry for those who got on for the 7 day after that as they had little time to enjoy all the shows and we got to see them as many times as we wanted. The ship was about half full that time. There were only a few children onboard when we crossed and I think a number of those were officers' children. I prefer Barcelona to Copenhagen but that is a personal preference. We wanted the seven day which followed the Epic TA and ended up doing the TA, 4 day in between, and the 7 day.

That sounds awesome. I'm adding that to my cruise "to-do"!

I have sailed in both and aft suite and an aft balcony. We had the suite on deck 9 on the far port side and loved it for it's wrap around balcony.

Both rooms were in very good shape.

VAT is Value Added Tax. Sales tax in Europe.

Does it make a difference whether you choose the port or starboard side?

Did you pick the port side for a reason?

Thanks.

Don

Does it make a difference whether you choose the port or starboard side?

Did you pick the port side for a reason?

Thanks.

Don

On that particular cruise, it was the Panama Canal and the port side was definitely preferable.

On a TA, heading west, the starboard may be better for sun exposure...although in an aft cabin, that may not matter much.

On that particular cruise, it was the Panama Canal and the port side was definitely preferable.

On a TA, heading west, the starboard may be better for sun exposure...although in an aft cabin, that may not matter much.

I believe I will be heading east on the TA, so I would probably get the sun in the morning if I take an Aft-Facing suite (which I might take) on the starboard side....correct?

Don

Don, if we were in your shoes we'd take the Epic TA because Epic is bigger and takes more southerly route than the Star. We have been on the Star too but on a 7 day cruise.

Epic is bigger which means there are more dining options and activities. Usually there are less people on TA crossing and making ressies for specialty restaurants are not necessary.

It was so nice for us to be able to dine in different restaurant each night.

Also if we were in your shoes we'd take a train to Paris from Barcelona rather than fly. We took Eurostar from London to Paris and loved the trip. We fly all the time but enjoy taking trains because we do not have to be at the station 3 hours before!

If you decide to take Star instead of Epic, I suggest you grab a SJ suite - for the value of money and still get suite perks. You will not miss the balcony at all.

Starboard cabin on Eastbound TA, if you want sunlight.

Could you please tell me what a SJ Suite is?

We were thinking of an Aft-Facing Balcony Suite because we usually take an Aft-Facing Balcony.

What is the difference between the two?

Which would be least expensive?

Also, what is the sister ship to the Star....is it the Dawn?

I am trying to think of comparrsons.

Thanks.

Don

• 3 months later...

I would take the Star. The longer the TA, the better I like it. I would also consider spending a few days in Copenhagen before leaving for Paris. In Barcelona they will mostly speak Spanish. In Copenhagen, most folk will speak English. First time in EU, the language barrier can be somewhat difficult at first. NCL has a great hotel in Copenhagen that you can stay in which is reasonably priced and convenient to public transport, for several days before leaving for Paris. You can book the hotel along with your cruise and then ride from the ship to the hotel and then several days later ride to the Airport. Copenhagen is not as economically depressed as Barcelona is. Not that it is not nice mind you, just not as easy to take as Copenhagen will be.