My Impressions of my Noordam cruise 12/6/13

Cruisinetta

I had not been on a HAL cruise in a year. Now I know why. First off let me say that I know many of you are LOYAL HAL cruisers as I used to be. I had a blast in all the ports we visited. Now for the bad. Many people onboard commented on how HAL has cut back on many things. Many said their service was horrible. For me, when I go on a cruise, I like to have fun. When they had the Dam Dollar program, I met some fabulous people and still have contact with many of them today. All those games I would go to just to get that prized Dam Dollar. Well on this cruise, we had NOTHING! We had one day with baggo, two days with shuffleboard and that was it. No golf chipping, no golf putting, none of the silly games I used to meet so many nice people at. Thank goodness, they still have trivia. I had a wonderful team and hope to stay in contact with them in the future (Thanks Facebook). If I had not built my cabin steward a ship, I would have slept the entire cruise. The cooking classes and computer classes are things I just don't want to do. I am a microwave cooker. :D So in closing, I will take three more cruises with HAL and then I am off to that other cruiseline that I like so much. They remind me of how HAL used to be.

Edited by Cruisinetta

Yes, I know that. I was just using that as an example of what I would like to see on Holland America. At least bring back an activities staff to work under the Cruise Director. He has too much to do and that's why all the activities have disappeared.

Sorry to hear that activities were lacking during your cruise. Would you mind telling me your impression of the condition of the ship and the service? Any thoughts on dining would be welcome, too - we sail next week and I'm eager to hear how things are going on Noordam outside of the dull schedule.

On the longer cruises and voyages the Dam Dollar program is still going especially if you have sea days. I always seem to amuse myself with movies, reading and tea and even cooking although I have never made anything when I get home. I sure hope these don't disappear. I would think other cruise lines are tightening belts also. With the coming of these huge ships, competition will be vigorous.

Gainesville, the ship itself is in really great shape. No visible signs of major wear and tear. As I said in my opening statement, people complained a lot about the service. I would give the food an overall B. Not great, but not bad either. You will have a different Cruise Director for your cruise. This was our's last for a while. Maybe the new guy will have more fun things to do. Good luck.

We were this same cruise, and overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will be posting an overview of our trip in the next few days. (just returned, and am overwhelmed with reality, unfortunately!)

I thought the service was great, from stewards, to waiters, and concierge (phone concierge available to SS guests). Wine service was annoying. Disembarkation was nightmare-ish due to only 2, at times 3, customs agents on duty for the whole ship!

The ship was beautiful. I will post a report soon. We were not looking for alot of organized activities so our perspective may be different than yours. We must have met you, because we saw you getting off the elevator with your beautiful ship and talked to you for a minute. You said it was for your steward, and it was a beauty!

I'm confused, did you actually get bad service or did you just hear others complaining about getting bad service? What were the bad parts for you other than they didn't have daily activities to your liking? I guess I'm missing what's so awful, especially since you have 3 more cruises booked with them still. So far on all of my cruises I had very little interest in the organized activities as they weren't appealing to me, HAL actually has me thinking I might want to participate based on everything I've seen and read here.

Edited by sherilyn70

I agree Cruisenetta - I'm in the process of a review - will hopefully complete by the weekend....

Regarding the cut backs -just a couple off the cuff- we couldn't get shower gel for 2 days - or an extra duvet....They even ran out of lobster on formal noght ...LOL:eek: Oh well who needs lobster anyway-:D

Still had fun though....it's all in the Attitude...

More to come....much more...:eek:

I actually had decent service. While waiting to get off the ship yesterday, a lot of people complained about the service. That's where that comment came from. When I am on a cruise, I like to have fun and to me fun is meeting people via the silly games. I cruise solo and love to meet people. I am not saying the cruise was awful, I am saying I would have liked to watch less tv and have more to do besides going to the "donation center". As for going on three more cruises, I am very close to 5 star and gold medallion. I also want to cruise with my favorite hotel director one more time and the third cruise is with friends I have met on other cruises. I absolutely loved the ports we went to. Had a blast. If I were to grade this cruise, I would give it a C-.

I had not been on a HAL cruise in a year. Now I know why. First off let me say that I know many of you are LOYAL HAL cruisers as I used to be. I had a blast in all the ports we visited. Now for the bad. Many people onboard commented on how HAL has cut back on many things. Many said their service was horrible. For me, when I go on a cruise, I like to have fun. When they had the Dam Dollar program, I met some fabulous people and still have contact with many of them today. All those games I would go to just to get that prized Dam Dollar. Well on this cruise, we had NOTHING! We had one day with baggo, two days with shuffleboard and that was it. No golf chipping, no golf putting, none of the silly games I used to meet so many nice people at. Thank goodness, they still have trivia. I had a wonderful team and hope to stay in contact with them in the future (Thanks Facebook). If I had not built my cabin steward a ship, I would have slept the entire cruise. The cooking classes and computer classes are things I just don't want to do. I am a microwave cooker. :D So in closing, I will take three more cruises with HAL and then I am off to that other cruiseline that I like so much. They remind me of how HAL used to be.

Lynne...just wondering why, after being so disappointed with HAL this time, you wouldn't cancel the 3 upcoming cruises and book something on your preferred line, Celebrity? I'm guessing it couldn't have been that bad if you're not cancelling your 3 future cruises on HAL.

As a solo cruiser I'm sure you have much different needs/wants than a lot of us that travel as couples or families. So I can understand that activities are more important in your situation. My husband and I can spend hours (we've found the time limit is 6 hours, lol) just talking to entertain ourselves when on vacation, so we don't need them as much. I don't know that I'd be brave enough to travel solo. :) My father stopped cruising after my mother passed away so I'm encouraging him and my husband to continue on after I'm gone so they can both have some fun.

I am with Cruisinetta on this one. Had this been my first HAL cruise it would have been my last.

The service we received as always was great. The food was at best mediocre. Several of the group I was with became ill eating at Canaletto over the first few nights. My recommendation for anyone going on the Noordam over the next few weeks would be to avoid the Canaletto at all costs.

The CD, Shane, I would also consider mediocre. Maybe being his last cruise before vacation was the reason. Fortunately for all going onboard from here forward Mario is the new CD. He was promoted to full time CD for the cruise leaving on the 16th. It may take him a few weeks to get his feet wet but he will be outstanding.

Pinnacle grill for breakfast one morning resulted in a 45 minute wait for a very oily omelet. Pinnacle grill on the last night was also subpar. No arugula, Caesar salad, mushrooms, ben and jerry's ice cream for the Baked Alaska and one chocolate volcano available. There was one other thing not available but I do not remember what it was.

Overall not a lot of life on this cruise. Several of the friends I was with had sailed on the Noordam previously and they were extremely disappointed.

Disembarked NOORDAM on 6 Dec from 21 days. I would give a fair B. Two days in Hayatt Pier 66 then sailed out on NIEUW AMSTERDAM for a week... for a A+ !!!!!! ;-)

Stephen

I would agree with a fair B possibly a B minus. Probably mostly disappointed from always having been a solid A to A Plus on all or other HAL cruises.

Disembarked NOORDAM on 6 Dec from 21 days. I would give a fair B. Two days in Hayatt Pier 66 then sailed out on NIEUW AMSTERDAM for a week... for a A+ !!!!!! ;-)

Stephen

Thank you, Stephen, for your candid insight. That is really disheartening. We loved the Nieuw Amsterdam on our recent 21 day Transatlanic...and if the Noordam is any less than that experience, we will be very disappointed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'll be sailing her on Jan. 6th for 21 nights in the Carib.

Now, when you say 'horrible service', can you please explain this?

I don't care for activities etc., but having a good service is of paramount importance to me. Were some requests unreasonable, or were some staff really lacking a service mind? (which would be a first for me on a cruise tbh).

Just a little worried though...

Hard to believe that someone would change cruise lines over golf putting contests. Just goes to show what different people want. I had no interest in the dam dollar games (or prizes), but enjoyed the Microsoft tutorials on our last cruise. So did a lot of other people as the Microsoft sessions filled up very quickly even with several repeated sessions. Likewise, the cooking shows have always been very popular.

To be honest, I agree with HAL's priorities with regard to ship activities.

igraf

I had not been on a HAL cruise in a year. Now I know why. First off let me say that I know many of you are LOYAL HAL cruisers as I used to be. I had a blast in all the ports we visited. Now for the bad.... No golf chipping, no golf putting, none of the silly games I used to meet so many nice people at.

...The cooking classes and computer classes are things I just don't want to do. I am a microwave cooker. :D So in closing, I will take three more cruises with HAL and then I am off to that other cruiseline that I like so much. They remind me of how HAL used to be.

Edited by igraf

Hard to believe that someone would change cruise lines over golf putting contests. Just goes to show what different people want. I had no interest in the dam dollar games (or prizes), but enjoyed the Microsoft tutorials on our last cruise. So did a lot of other people as the Microsoft sessions filled up very quickly even with several repeated sessions. Likewise, the cooking shows have always been very popular.

To be honest, I agree with HAL's priorities with regard to ship activities.

igraf

So would you be unhappy if Hal stopped having the Microsoft of cooking classes? Frankly I spend enough time on the computer so I'd be fine if they got rid of them. People like different things. Is it only thing you are interested in ok to keep? Frankly, I'm surprised at some of the comments on here.

The NOORDAM and NW AMSTERDAM "Back 2 Back 2 Back

1. 10 days... just one run ashore in the cruise... an evening ashore in Willemstad for a fantastic evening with friends.

2. 11 days.... just one run ashore in the cruise... a lunch asore in St Vincent. Went to visit the hotel own by Saga Holidays. Just as well as the Saga ships!

3. 7 days... Nw AMSTERDAM.... oops.... did not step ashore at all! I was happy enough being on board that I did not have to go ashore!!!!

NOORDAM is always an old favourite, but Nw AMSTERDAM is a star. I like the decor... most of it. I guess the 'Opium Den'... or is that the Tamarind... fantastic. I would like to see Tamarind in every ship.

On the 21 days in NOORDAM I dined for 15 nights in Canaletto... my choice. Just three Canaletto nights in Nw AMSTERDAM... one night on old menu and two nights in the new menus. I was happy with either menu but I see lots of problems with new Canaletto menu. The food is perfect... the waiters perfect... just the new style... Spartire... is a NUISANCE!

Did not like having to read on the menu about ten minutes to learn what Spartire means and then spending another ten minutes listening the waiters same spiel. Enough already! Just like old in Pinnacle having to listen waiters talk about steaks. Waste of time! Most passengers are old enough to know how to read a menu.

Plus or Minus

1. Oil and balsamic on the table... no more. Miss it.

2. Bread sticks basket... no more. Miss of it.

3. Antipasto... no more. Missed of all. Small portion more bigger portion... or perfect choices.... missed!

4. A new 'taster'.... slice of french toast with puree tomato on a smear of... 'something" Tasteless and cold... awful. Won't miss it!

5. Small Plate then Pasta and then Large Plate. What language is this? I thought that anyone knows a shred of Italian knows what is Atipasto, Insalada, Primo, Secondi and Dolci.

6. Spartire. Grrrrr. Hey, if you want people what a plate to share food that is fine but don't force me share my plate. I liked my food on my plate handed by my chef.... not everyone handing over silly tongs... ' Tin Clackers'... achieve than plopping food onto a plate in the most unsightly fashion.... food all of the table cloth. How do a group people share... one has Salumi, one salad, one for pate and another for Eggplant Caponata and then one joker is trying his portion Zuppa di Pesci.. with TONGS!!!!! Grrrrr!

7. Pasta.....too huge portions.... HUGE. Wasted food. More of those tin clackers... messy and more food all over the table. Grrrrr!

8. Large Plate.... it is SECONDI or SECONDS.... not Large Plates! And if more confusion.... the small plate and large plates are both the same size!!!!!! Three people.... one choice for veal.... two others for pork saltimbocca so we end of with TWO portions of veal and FOUR portions of pork! More waste.

9. Do remember the beautiful small cup of Limcello Creme? Gone! Now the Limoncello Creme is BIGGER.... is is a FULL SOUP BOWL! Two passengers EACH get a FULL SOUP BOWL. Enough on the table to serve out at least ten people. I kid you not. Each bowl would be about 1,500 calories!

Beware.... I love Canaletto. I love the new items on the menu. The food is excellent. The waiters and the staff were perfect as always. I have no complaint at all. All 100 top marks. My only concern... is the very huge portions... even for the greatest gourmand! I am not too worried at all. I'm sure that everything will be tweaked and will settle down to a good restaurant. So.... let's wait and see.... my comments here are just for the first two days with the new menus.

Just one point I am disappointed... the menu is chocolate brown border around a dull green paper. Yuk! The colours are obviously similar to Tamarind menus... but hardly what you would on a Italian menu... red, green and white..... not brown and dull green. Yuk!

OK, one final menu.... the wine list.... at last! Canaletto have their own collection of Italian wines. A good of select wine and another list of 'table wine'.... by glass, caraffe or bottle.

And don't forget a sampler of Limoncello... or the Alexander the Great... or should that be instead a "Great Glass of Grappa di Alexander'!!!!!

Stephen

I think this is an interesting point.

As I do not care for any of those activities, I think it'd be a shame if the cruiseline cancelled them. I know a lot of people do like these things and it is impossible to have all activities for all kinds of interests. I think cruiselines do a nice job (as far as they can with all the cost cutting) occupying as many people as possible with activities that a nice amount of people are interested in.

But changing cruiselines because they scrapped any activity (being pc classes, cooking classes or whatsoever) is a drastic thing. Only thing that'll switch my from a cruiseline is a bad service onboard.

I'll be sailing Noordam for 21 days this January and another 15 days on a TA this fall. I don't partake of the activities Cuisenetta described so I won't miss them, but I will be very disappointed if service is suffering from the cutbacks. Some of the descriptions on other threads of service in the MDR seems sub par. On my last Maasdam cruise, I felt sorry for the stewards who seemed to be running all over the dining room. I want to feel pampered and have attention paid to what I order. I can't imagine the MDR being less than it was on Maasdam last March.