My Impressions of my Noordam cruise 12/6/13

Cruisinetta

Lynn, you are spot on ref this cruise. I was stunned by the changes. What happened to the smiles, the genuine overall attitude of welcome? We had an SY and did not see a room steward until 8pm or so the first night. There was a noticeable language deficit accompanied by a stressful work load.

DD and SIL liked Shane and Jeremy even though they too had very limited staff to expand any programs.

MDR guys were fun but busy busy. How they carry all the trays; thirteen dinners with heavy plates and metal covers is a performance in itself.

As for me, I relished the water and the balcony. My best kept secret is arranging for a lounge chair and spending sleepy late night hours outside drifting at sea with the balmy breeze and glowing moonlight. I am home, refreshed, peaceful, cherishing the times with family and the time for reflection and gratitude.

Looking forward to more of your review.

Blessings,

Gail

The NOORDAM and NW AMSTERDAM "Back 2 Back 2 Back

1. 10 days... just one run ashore in the cruise... an evening ashore in Willemstad for a fantastic evening with friends.

2. 11 days.... just one run ashore in the cruise... a lunch asore in St Vincent. Went to visit the hotel own by Saga Holidays. Just as well as the Saga ships!

3. 7 days... Nw AMSTERDAM.... oops.... did not step ashore at all! I was happy enough being on board that I did not have to go ashore!!!!

NOORDAM is always an old favourite, but Nw AMSTERDAM is a star. I like the decor... most of it. I guess the 'Opium Den'... or is that the Tamarind... fantastic. I would like to see Tamarind in every ship.

On the 21 days in NOORDAM I dined for 15 nights in Canaletto... my choice. Just three Canaletto nights in Nw AMSTERDAM... one night on old menu and two nights in the new menus. I was happy with either menu but I see lots of problems with new Canaletto menu. The food is perfect... the waiters perfect... just the new style... Spartire... is a NUISANCE!

Did not like having to read on the menu about ten minutes to learn what Spartire means and then spending another ten minutes listening the waiters same spiel. Enough already! Just like old in Pinnacle having to listen waiters talk about steaks. Waste of time! Most passengers are old enough to know how to read a menu.

Plus or Minus

1. Oil and balsamic on the table... no more. Miss it.

2. Bread sticks basket... no more. Miss of it.

3. Antipasto... no more. Missed of all. Small portion more bigger portion... or perfect choices.... missed!

4. A new 'taster'.... slice of french toast with puree tomato on a smear of... 'something" Tasteless and cold... awful. Won't miss it!

5. Small Plate then Pasta and then Large Plate. What language is this? I thought that anyone knows a shred of Italian knows what is Atipasto, Insalada, Primo, Secondi and Dolci.

6. Spartire. Grrrrr. Hey, if you want people what a plate to share food that is fine but don't force me share my plate. I liked my food on my plate handed by my chef.... not everyone handing over silly tongs... ' Tin Clackers'... achieve than plopping food onto a plate in the most unsightly fashion.... food all of the table cloth. How do a group people share... one has Salumi, one salad, one for pate and another for Eggplant Caponata and then one joker is trying his portion Zuppa di Pesci.. with TONGS!!!!! Grrrrr!

7. Pasta.....too huge portions.... HUGE. Wasted food. More of those tin clackers... messy and more food all over the table. Grrrrr!

8. Large Plate.... it is SECONDI or SECONDS.... not Large Plates! And if more confusion.... the small plate and large plates are both the same size!!!!!! Three people.... one choice for veal.... two others for pork saltimbocca so we end of with TWO portions of veal and FOUR portions of pork! More waste.

9. Do remember the beautiful small cup of Limcello Creme? Gone! Now the Limoncello Creme is BIGGER.... is is a FULL SOUP BOWL! Two passengers EACH get a FULL SOUP BOWL. Enough on the table to serve out at least ten people. I kid you not. Each bowl would be about 1,500 calories!

Beware.... I love Canaletto. I love the new items on the menu. The food is excellent. The waiters and the staff were perfect as always. I have no complaint at all. All 100 top marks. My only concern... is the very huge portions... even for the greatest gourmand! I am not too worried at all. I'm sure that everything will be tweaked and will settle down to a good restaurant. So.... let's wait and see.... my comments here are just for the first two days with the new menus.

Just one point I am disappointed... the menu is chocolate brown border around a dull green paper. Yuk! The colours are obviously similar to Tamarind menus... but hardly what you would on a Italian menu... red, green and white..... not brown and dull green. Yuk!

OK, one final menu.... the wine list.... at last! Canaletto have their own collection of Italian wines. A good of select wine and another list of 'table wine'.... by glass, caraffe or bottle.

And don't forget a sampler of Limoncello... or the Alexander the Great... or should that be instead a "Great Glass of Grappa di Alexander'!!!!!

Stephen

Did you have the shared food concept in the Canaletto on the Noordam? That is how I experienced the Canaletto on the Oosterdam in August and it was better than the Pinnacle. On the Noordam we had the old menu and did not receive the same shared food concept. The quality and taste of the food was beyond disappointing. Mind you this was not just me but several other pax that we met on the ship. I couldn't agree with you more on the menu explanations. We were all 4 star mariners.

It's like going to Ruth's Chris. They always ask if you have dined with them before because the plates come out very very hot. This alleviates them from having to go thru the spiel.

Edited by Laminator

On the longer cruises and voyages the Dam Dollar program is still going especially if you have sea days. I always seem to amuse myself with movies, reading and tea and even cooking although I have never made anything when I get home. I sure hope these don't disappear. I would think other cruise lines are tightening belts also. With the coming of these huge ships, competition will be vigorous.

We just got off the 42 day Atlantic Adventure on the Maasdam and there were no DAM Dollar activities.

We ate at Canaletto two nights ago. DH, big pasta fan, declared it excellent. No it is not the shared plates. We thought it was very good. Mainly, I wanted tiramisu and gelato, husband wanted good italian food. We both liked it quite a bit!

There was one pasta dish that was good. The pasta dish with meat sauce had no meat. The chicken cacciatore was extremely dry. The meatballs were also dry. The tiramisu on the new menu is different and much better. There was no gnocchi dish which was beyond excellent on the Oosterdam. You can be rest assured none of the pax I dined with are picky eaters.

I know there were several complaints by pax on the cruise ending the 16th. The culinary manager even approached our friends from Holland to apologize for their experience. Maybe this is what turned the tide for the quality of the food. I hope so.

There was one pasta dish that was good. The pasta dish with meat sauce had no meat. The chicken cacciatore was extremely dry. The meatballs were also dry. The tiramisu on the new menu is different and much better. There was no gnocchi dish which was beyond excellent on the Oosterdam. You can be rest assured none of the pax I dined with are picky eaters.

I know there were several complaints by pax on the cruise ending the 16th. The culinary manager even approached our friends from Holland to apologize for their experience. Maybe this is what turned the tide for the quality of the food. I hope so.

You really need to relax, food tastes are extremely subjective.

I am not the one leaving HAL over some minor activity, and I do not expect cruises to be exactly the same year after year. HAL has done some very good things lately, including the piano/violin duet and the BB King Blues Club.

Bad comments? Perhaps you should be judging your own post.

igraf

So would you be unhappy if Hal stopped having the Microsoft of cooking classes? Frankly I spend enough time on the computer so I'd be fine if they got rid of them. People like different things. Is it only thing you are interested in ok to keep? Frankly, I'm surprised at some of the comments on here.
Edited by igraf

Very interesting reading as we are booked on a Noordam cruise in 2014. Our friends' family members have just come back from a Noordam cruise and really the only negative comment is how rude "some" passengers were to the staff.

IMO opinion, there is no excuse for rudeness, with the staff cutbacks most cruise lines have had, a bit of empathy for the hard working room stewards and waiters goes a long way.

You really need to relax, food tastes are extremely subjective.

Relax????...I completely understand that are food tastes are subjective. If not happy we could have simply went to the Lido and ate something different. It was the getting sick part that was quite disappointing. It made the next 3 days of the cruise quite a chore. And as I said in earlier posts this happened to several other pax that ate there different evenings.

I had not been on a HAL cruise in a year. Now I know why. First off let me say that I know many of you are LOYAL HAL cruisers as I used to be. I had a blast in all the ports we visited. Now for the bad. Many people onboard commented on how HAL has cut back on many things. Many said their service was horrible. For me, when I go on a cruise, I like to have fun. When they had the Dam Dollar program, I met some fabulous people and still have contact with many of them today. All those games I would go to just to get that prized Dam Dollar. Well on this cruise, we had NOTHING! We had one day with baggo, two days with shuffleboard and that was it. No golf chipping, no golf putting, none of the silly games I used to meet so many nice people at. Thank goodness, they still have trivia. I had a wonderful team and hope to stay in contact with them in the future (Thanks Facebook). If I had not built my cabin steward a ship, I would have slept the entire cruise. The cooking classes and computer classes are things I just don't want to do. I am a microwave cooker. :D So in closing, I will take three more cruises with HAL and then I am off to that other cruiseline that I like so much. They remind me of how HAL used to be.

YOU ARE SSOOOO SOOOO CORRECT.. I was so dissapointed in this cruise.

One more very disappointing thing.....NO DESSERT EXTRAVAGANZA! Not kidding, they did not have it. I always love this activity. Some of you are misinterpreting my leaving HAL. I simply enjoy meeting people and the activities is where I used to bond with other passengers. Now all I have to meet folks is trivia. On the other line that I like, they have all those things. Plus they have the cooking and computer classes. To me they really try to satisfy everyone. I plan to keep my last three cruises on HAL because I am very close to 5 star and gold medallion status. Plus, I want to cruise with my favorite HAL employee one more time. The Noordam transatlantic cruise I want to keep because I will be sailing with some friends I have met on previous cruises. Plus I did the transatlantic on another line and want to see how HAL does it. I did not mean to ruffle any feathers, it is simply how I feel.

One more very disappointing thing.....NO DESSERT EXTRAVAGANZA! Not kidding, they did not have it. I always love this activity. <snip>

From what I have gathered reading all the recent comments on CC, it looks like the Dessert Extravaganza is only held on cruises LONGER than 7 days. Those are the cruisers who mention that it was held.

Edited by Linda&Vern

If I based my reviews on comments overheard from other guests, I would never have been on the second HAL cruise after our Zaandam Alaska.

I'm sorry, but this has to be said... We heard a lot of Australian and Canadian accents on the Alaska cruise and everyone seemed thrilled. BUT the Americans were constantly complaining and seemed to be very unhappy about almost anything. We had a broken lifeboat after the muster drill and that delayed our departure from Vancouver... one American guy was very loud and verbal about that. He was "gonna sue" blah, blah, blah... Later in the same cruise, we had to skip Tracy Arm. Same loud American... He was "gonna sue" blah, blah, blah... How did I know he was American? The accent was Texan. Plus he thought it was necessary to mention that he was from Texas to almost everyone he had a conversation with. Did I mention he was loud?

So when I overhear complaints, I listen to see if I can identify the accent. Coming in and out of Tampa on the Ryndam even though not much can be done if the inspections slow down the embarkation, everyone in that very long line was complaining. That didn't ruin the cruise for me or send me to a different cruise line AFTER I get to my next Mariner level.

What's that phrase about "money talks, bu.. sh.. walks." If you were truly unhappy, you should leave now, not after you achieve your next star level.

This cruise was 10 days. No dessert extravaganza. 496and706, what the heck? These boards are for sharing ideas and opinions. This was simply my opinion and to throw all Americans into this group is simply rediculous. I have heard complaints from every nationality, so to throw Americans under the bus is just stupid. And if you read correctly, there were three reasons why I would not cancel my last three cruises. Please read carefully and don't go off at me. These are MY opinions and no one elses.

Edited by Cruisinetta

This cruise was 10 days. No dessert extravaganza. 496and706, what the heck? These boards are for sharing ideas and opinions. This was simply my opinion and to throw all Americans into this group is simply rediculous. I have heard complaints from every nationality, so to throw Americans under the bus is just stupid. And if you read correctly, there were three reasons why I would not cancel my last three cruises. Please read carefully and don't go off at me. These are MY opinions and no one elses.

Wish there was a LIKE button.

I generally do not wade into the debates over the quality of a particular cruise. It is so subjective (food, activities or lack there of, service) etc. However I know that as a relatively new cruiser I do look at reviews so I wanted to provide my take. Mind you I was on the Nov 25th-Dec 6th leg, but we had a wonderful time. We found the service outstanding, our waiters in the main dining room were very attentive and so friendly. When we mentioned that we had to get out of there fairly quickly one night to get to a show, they were lightening fast with our orders. We both loved the Caneletto, particularly my DH and the antipasto Everywhere we went we were greeted with a smile and a hello. We loved all the trivia games and I thought Shane and Jeremy were a hoot. I could go on and on but suffice to say we can't wait for our next cruise - hopefully once again on the Noordam. Of course more seasoned cruisers have something to compare to so it could be in our case that ignorance is bliss.

Kris,

Well I was on board your cruise NOORDAM and the one cruise before too!

I dined on 15 of the 21 nights in Canaletto. Most enjoyable and the waiters in Canaletto I made comments that it was a higher standard than Pinnacle!

Overall NOORDAM is a great ship. And the following was Nw AMSTERDAM was even a notch higher!

Stephen

Lynn, I understand as do others who have followed you for awhile.

I understand the reasons for finishing the last 3 cruises.

I understand that HAL has left so many feeling ..... not forsaken...but almost.............

Someday my friend I hope to cruise with you and only pray that you will keep me appraised (or should that be apprised?) of where, when and what cruise line and ship(s).

It comes down to this, YOU have to be happy!! If you are not, then you have to go where you will be. HAL is no longer the happy place it was for you:( That is HAL's and my loss:(

Joanie

joanie, you are my hero. I have really wanted to cruise with you for a long time. How bout joining me on the Ryndam, Veendam or Noordam transatlantic. Bless you Joanie.

I'd love to my friend, but when I read your reply yo hubby and seems the only words he heard was, "trans atlantic," then he went, "Hahaha TA, NO WAY..."

Noordam would have been the only one of the 3 final cruises you are doing on HAL, and only because it has aft wraps:D

We will meet up on another ship Lynn, some day!!

You have always been MY HEROINE!!

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

I don't know if it's length of cruise or type of ship, but there sure are some differences. I know Cruisinetta to be an accurate reporter, so what she observed on the Noordam I'm sure is accurate. We just came from the Statendam where there were the "silly games" that she likes (and she's very good at them and makes a wonderful partner!) nearly every day either at the pool or in the atrium and they seemed to be well-attended and people were having fun. We had the dessert extravaganza as well, and really enjoyed the food in general.

Now is this because one ship is a Vista and one the smaller R-class? Because our cruise was 31 days? Is it up to the cruise director? Some cruises seem to be huge bargains, probably to meet the competition's prices, especially the Caribbean and sometimes Alaska; are their budgets different? I have no idea. If we could judge what leads to these variables perhaps all of us could select the ship that would best offer what we particularly enjoy.

I know there's a perception of a smaller entertainment staff but from what I've observed (and others may have seen something else; we're back to what ship, how long the cruise again!) the emphasis is different, with about the same number of people, utilized differently. The old system, which we enjoyed as Cruisinetta mentioned that she did, had a more general-use staff under the direction of the Cruise Director. These days, that staff is more specialized and if they don't lead something you enjoy you'd never know they were there. For example, the dance talent used to staff the library desk in turns, checking out books. These days they have a professional in the library, with a degree in Library Science (at least the one on the Statendam earlier this month) did; she ran book club meetings, would hunt out books in storage upon request--everything they have isn't out on the shelves. Her hours were longer than in the past; the paper copies of puzzles were available sometimes as early as 8 am. While I have no interest in the Microsoft Tech person's classes (we're Apple all the way :) ) I know that position is part of the entertainment staff, as is the party planner. That position has a new title; I forget what it is but you get the idea. And every ship has an entertainment manager who handles the paperwork and back of the house needs for Entertainment; unless you lead a Cruise Critic Meet/Greet you might never know that position is there but that person now sets that up for us, schedules it, co-ordinates with Beverage, etc. If the system is working well it should free up the CD to be out working with the activities for the guests, not managing and scheduling for future cruises or creating the daily program. The entertainment manager does that.

These are just my observations, but what we've seen has led us to decide that shorter cruises, on the larger ships, aren't going to provide what we enjoy. We need one or the other, at least; we enjoyed the Eurodam immensely last year, but we were on a 3-week cruise there and I do think length of cruise makes a difference in what is offered.