RCCL won't honor price reductions!!!

Just booked a 4 night on the Enchantment and the price dropped to half that I paid today. RCCL won't honor the reduction after final payment is made!!

Did you book within 48 hours? If so, Royal will give you OBC based on their 48 hour low price guarantee.

You booked a week ago, yes? So, no 48 hour price guarantee for you.

And you have taken 14 Royal Caribbean cruises, 5 of them since the policy became "no price refunds after final payment date".

So why are you so indignant?

Royal Princess- Grand Turks 10/2013

Freedom of the Seas 5/2013-Western Caribbean

(De-stress cruise 1/2 way thru school)

Liberty of the Seas 11/29/12-Milestone Cruise

Golden Princess-Alaska Inside Passage- 6/30/12

Voyager of the Sea-New Year's Eve 2011***

Monarch of the Seas 6/13/11

Radiance of the Seas 2/11

Liberty of the Seas 7/18/09

Liberty of the Seas 7/21/07

Grandeur of the Seas 12/06-New Years Cruise

Explorer of the Seas 7/06

Serenade of the Seas 11/05

Navigator of the Seas 5/04

Carnival Spirit 12/02

Holiday 7/02

Holland Zandam 4/01

Majesty of the Seas 10/03

Voyager of the Seas 5/00

Nordic Empress 5/94

Nordic Empress 5/92

I do not mean to sound harsh, but facts are facts.

Just booked a 4 night on the Enchantment and the price dropped to half that I paid today. RCCL won't honor the reduction after final payment is made!!

Um, it's not like you didn't know this, right? I'd have some sympathy if you were a first-time cruiser who had just joined these boards, but you've been around long enough to know the rules. Sorry it happened - maybe you could upgrade?

5/17/2010 ~~ Another New Pricing Policy takes affect..... now only price drops up until final payment will be honored. If, after final payment, a cabin category higher than what was originally booked is priced the same as or lower than, an upgrade can be requested.

I have had that happen too. Not going to flame you for just figuring out the rules. I book when I have too. Sometimes they go down and sometimes they go up. I use a price monitoring website. If it is more than 2 of us in a room, the prices rarely drop close to sailing. I have been able to get last minute deals for 2. I one time bought and the price dropped 49 hours later! Do you think RCI tracks the last paid customer at full price and drops after no reduction can be taken. Go for the upgrade! See if you can move up for cheap or free. When are you sailing. Enchantment is okay in my book. I preferred Freedom, Oasis, Allure, Navigator, Liberty. Going to check out Grandeur next then Independence. I will prob cruise enchantment if I can get a last minute deal again. Close to home and convenient for a weekend get away.

Try to have a great cruise anyway and ignore the harsh posts. We are all here to learn.

Kelly

You booked a week ago, yes? So, no 48 hour price guarantee for you.

And you have taken 14 Royal Caribbean cruises, 5 of them since the policy became "no price refunds after final payment date".

So why are you so indignant?

I do not mean to sound harsh, but facts are facts.

Never had to worry about the "rules"-the price never dropped this drastically!

I just booked it 72 hours ago.

I have had that happen too. Not going to flame you for just figuring out the rules. I book when I have too. Sometimes they go down and sometimes they go up. I use a price monitoring website. If it is more than 2 of us in a room, the prices rarely drop close to sailing. I have been able to get last minute deals for 2. I one time bought and the price dropped 49 hours later! Do you think RCI tracks the last paid customer at full price and drops after no reduction can be taken. Go for the upgrade! See if you can move up for cheap or free. When are you sailing. Enchantment is okay in my book. I preferred Freedom, Oasis, Allure, Navigator, Liberty. Going to check out Grandeur next then Independence. I will prob cruise enchantment if I can get a last minute deal again. Close to home and convenient for a weekend get away.

Try to have a great cruise anyway and ignore the harsh posts. We are all here to learn.

Kelly

Thanks, kelly! That was the support that I needed!! You're right-we should be here to support each other not bash!! I'm not perfect nor do I have time to read all the "rules".

5/17/2010 ~~ Another New Pricing Policy takes affect..... now only price drops up until final payment will be honored. If, after final payment, a cabin category higher than what was originally booked is priced the same as or lower than, an upgrade can be requested.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks, kelly! That was the support that I needed!! You're right-we should be here to support each other not bash!! I'm not perfect nor do I have time to read all the "rules".

When are you cruising? I have found that right after final payments are due the drops start. They seem to peek at a low about 3-5 weeks out. (roll the dice) then sometimes go back up. So you can play the guessing game or just pay and move on. Some pay and don't look back. I have to know if I got the best deal. I love a great deal:)

Never had to worry about the "rules"-the price never dropped this drastically!

I just booked it 72 hours ago.

It would be tough to swallow a 50% price drop if I booked 72 hours prior as well. I understand the frustration and need to vent. It is definitely hard to determine the best time to book. But--that said--many of us have had something similar happen or have been booked for a year and then the price drops closer in without the ability to take advantage. In those cases I tell myself I was able to pick my cabin and get a more "desirable" location (whatever that really means..lol).

When booking after final payment and prior to sailing it's hard to tell if the price will continue to lower or go up. It's a gamble. At least if we book before final payment and it lowers later, we've been booked for much longer than 72 hours.

Don't let it cloud your excitement of the cruise. When I do book last minute, I have to keep myself from checking prices so I don't get disappointed. That might be better for next time :)

We are veteran Celebrity cruisers and have always had no problem in upgrading after final payment. However, today, our traveling companions with whom our reservation is linked and are cabins are adjoining, upgraded to a family balcony. Our cabin for 2 was booked in d4 at $999. Today there is a sale and both categories 3 and 4 are $949. I found a balcony cabin very close to our companions which is a D3. When the RCI agent called the resolution desk to request a cabin location change, she was told that the price of $949 only applies to new bookings. I have cruised enough to not expect any money back but really thought since the sale price was close to what I paid that they would allow me to change cabin locations. Very disappointing for my 1st cruise on RCI.

We are veteran Celebrity cruisers and have always had no problem in upgrading after final payment. However, today, our traveling companions with whom our reservation is linked and are cabins are adjoining, upgraded to a family balcony. Our cabin for 2 was booked in d4 at $999. Today there is a sale and both categories 3 and 4 are $949. I found a balcony cabin very close to our companions which is a D3. When the RCI agent called the resolution desk to request a cabin location change, she was told that the price of $949 only applies to new bookings. I have cruised enough to not expect any money back but really thought since the sale price was close to what I paid that they would allow me to change cabin locations. Very disappointing for my 1st cruise on RCI.

Maybe your companions don't want adjoining cabins and that is why they moved - they might want more privacy. If you feel like you have to be so close, tell your companions THEY owe you $50, they're the ones who moved. Are you talking about the Oasis on Jan 18 that is on the Going, going, gone sale (formerly the Tuesday sale). If so, that clearly states new bookings only. Do you really need to be in their back pocket? If so, you should have discussed that before you all booked and they should have consulted you before moving. IMHO :)

Royal has a sale every week for which the prices are restricted to new bookings. However, people have reported being able to upgrade after final payment date, but only if the sale price is more than they paid for their present stateroom.

Edited by clarea