Age in exercise room?

And if you've got a student athlete that needs to train, talk to the fitness staff- they can make exceptions if they know that the the student a) is trained to use the equipment properly and b) isn't there just to goof around.

Do you know how you go about doing this? My 14 year old wrestler will need to keep in shape while we are away. Ideally he would be permitted to go to the gym with his 20 year old brother.

Do you know how you go about doing this? My 14 year old wrestler will need to keep in shape while we are away. Ideally he would be permitted to go to the gym with his 20 year old brother.

You don't need to ask or talk to anyone.

Just go to the gym and work out.

Nobody will say anything.

I agree. I go many times every cruise and haven't ever noticed an issue. As long as they aren't fooling around, they aren't going to question age (I would be shocked to hear of an issue --- unless maybe if they aren't even a teenager). I think I brought my son in when he was about 12, but he was a pretty big (football player looking type) kid.

Not necessarily true. On Indy my daughter was running on the treadmill next to me (she's a cross country runner) and a gym staffer politely said, "I'm sorry, no kids allowed in the gym." It didn't matter that she was using the equipment properly, or that the gym was 1/2 empty, or that she was with me.

They were very nice about it and my daughter left, no biggie. But don't assume it will be okay, I would ask!

I do believe they must make exceptions if you and your kids are in suites (not JS). This is what we experienced on the Oasis.

There was a 10 yr old boy who was allowed to sign up for the spin classes. Very obvious he was young. Not one staff member or the instructor mentioned a single thing. There were 2 adults waiting on the list to take "no show" seats. They did not ask the child to leave.

DD who was 15 years old (turning 16 in one month) and a track athlete so needed to continue with her training while on vacation. She was on the treadmill next to mine and was asked to leave. Her preference is to run on the track but it was just too windy that day.

I explained the situation to a staff member but she was very firm stating it is for insurance/liability reasons?!

When we cruised the Oasis in Oct 2010 my hubby and two sons signed up for boot cmp classes. We did this on the first day and I told the instructor that the youngest was only 15. He said it wasn't a problem because he was taking the class with his stepdad and brother.

you need to speak to a trainer/ gym staff member when you board. usually it will be manned the first day to answer questions( and sign you up for all the for fee classes ) the adult must be 21.

I do believe they must make exceptions if you and your kids are in suites (not JS). This is what we experienced on the Oasis.

There was a 10 yr old boy who was allowed to sign up for the spin classes. Very obvious he was young. Not one staff member or the instructor mentioned a single thing. There were 2 adults waiting on the list to take "no show" seats. They did not ask the child to leave.

uhh no being a suite does NOT afford kids any extra special privileges.(well not counting CL access during cocktail hour that is) it is possible that the kid had other legitimate exceptions made such as being an Olympic calibre athlete. I am not even sure a plain old run of the mill high school athlete can ever guarantee that they would be allowed access though.