Sapphire question

Leo Mcgary

I am on Sapphire and yes we are back in Cabo.

During the show last night an announcement was made callng for blood donors for a sick passenger. It was serious because a little while later the Captain told us we were returning to Cabo to evacuate the person. That happened around 10:30 last night. So we are anchored off Cabo this morning and will be here till 6pm. Then we head back to LA.

I feel so bad for the person and their family. I pray and hope they are OK. It was so disappointing to hear people complaining about missing PV. Some folks want a "voucher" from Princess. Crazy. I know it is hard to miss a port but come on!!!!

Edited by spingal

During the show last night an announcement was made callng for blood donors for a sick passenger. It was serious because a little while later the Captain told us we were returning to Cabo to evacuate the person. That happened around 10:30 last night. So we are anchored off Cabo this morning and will be here till 6pm. Then we head back to LA.

I feel so bad for the person and their family. I pray and hope they are OK. It was so disappointing to hear people complaining about missing PV. Some folks want a "voucher" from Princess. Crazy. I know it is hard to miss a port but come on!!!!

Thank you for the update. I guess I was writing while you were posting.

I hope the sick passenger gets the treatment he/she needs and has a full recovery.

Disappointing to miss a port, yes, but someone's health is way more important............

I'm really shocked they would do a blood transfusion with a donor passenger. I doubt they have the ability to screen the blood for all communicable diseases.

I guess it's kind of like CPR - breaking ribs is a lot better than letting someone die of a heart attack.

I'm really shocked they would do a blood transfusion with a donor passenger. I doubt they have the ability to screen the blood for all communicable diseases.
Yes, they do have that capability. My brother-in-law needed several units of blood. Passengers had to present current blood donor cards, were screened and a few chosen to donate blood. Their blood was tested thoroughly before the transfusions. The alternative was death. (He died anyway but it wasn't due to the transfusions.)

You are correct. I was refused because I did not have my card. They found enough folks who did have their donor cards.

Yes, they have done this on other ships. In case anyone's wondering, they'll take passengers, but for some reason they won't take crew. Our son has his donor card and has a blood type is that's often in demand, but Princess won't take his since he's crew, they take only passengers.

It could have to do with all the ports they visit. I keep a Word doc with all the places I've been to so I can present it when I donate blood. It always takes them forever to look up the places to make sure they're on the approved list.

The poor person who is experiencing these problems would probably be very upset to know that he/she affected everyone's cruise by this port change.

they do (be able to type and screen blood). I am an RN and they had a call for blood on a Panama canal cruise about 8 years ago and I asked...I also asked if they needed assistance and if we hadn't been close to a port they would have taken me up on it.

they do (be able to type and screen blood). I am an RN and they had a call for blood on a Panama canal cruise about 8 years ago and I asked...I also asked if they needed assistance and if we hadn't been close to a port they would have taken me up on it.

As a retired RN the question of donating unscreened blood just had to be asked and was adequately answered. It's good to know the ship has the ability for a life saving procedure, let's hope we never need it. Best wishes to the poor person who needed the medical care.

A sad commentary on our times.

Sad indeed.....:(:(:(

Bob

We too had a call for blood on our cruise through the Panama Canal on the Sapphire. We both did not have our cards. But we now travel with them so in case we are needed, we are ready.

So sad that our society has gone in the direction it has. Always demanding more. Why can't we all go back to appreciating what we have and enjoying it?

We had to miss a port due to a hurricane once. We too heard the complaints. I was joyous to not be heading to/though/and beyond it! An extra sea day was great!

Always look at the glass as half full not half empty!

Great news! Captain reported passenger stable! Had surgery in Cabo. He is grateful that Princess took such great care of him! :D:D. He asked Captain to thank everyone for taking him back to Cabo and missing PV. NICE!

Great news! Captain reported passenger stable! Had surgery in Cabo. He is grateful that Princess took such great care of him! :D:D. He asked Captain to thank everyone for taking him back to Cabo and missing PV. NICE!

That's great & thanks for sharing the good news!!! :D

I'm glad the passenger got the treatment he needed.

As far as blood donations go, here is some of the reasoning (I am a professional blood banker):

The ship's infirmary can do blood typing and crossmatching, but has limited ability to test for all the infectious diseases that are required of a stateside blood bank. That's likely why they require a blood donor card - the very best testing that can be done is what we call "in vivo" testing, that is, if your blood has previously been fully tested then given to someone who had no sign of disease transmission from it. So blood from a regular blood donor, assuming the types are matched, is usually quite safe.

A random passenger who had not been donating regularly would not have had all of the testing done recently nor the test of successful transfusion to someone. Likewise, the crew would not have been recently tested, and many of the countries represented by the crew have issues with endemic malaria, hepatitis and other diseases.

Awesome news :)

Thanks for all your updates, that is great news!!